Can anyone explain the anti-American sentiment to me?

They do it mostly out of ignorance....

It is not only ignorance,but mostly JEALOUSY, in my honest opinion. - This is, no doubt, based on the "picture of Life in America' which thee people retain after watching some of the best motion-pictures produced on earth. The often "lavish" lifestyles depicted, get people's "jealousy-gauges" going.

I am a Dutchman, and I for one am extremely grateful to the Americans for 'helping us out' with the horrible WW-2; if it wasn't for the US of A, I (and all of my European counterparts) would be speaking German now ! ! ! !

Then; American young lives (millions of them) have been the difference between "Freedom" and "Oppression" ever since WW-2 - and I, for one, am nothing but grateful to the Americans ! !

Whenever & wherever there is a 'hot-spot' caused by callous governments, dictator or natural disaster: who jumps-up and rushes to take the required action ? ? ? It's always the USA !

Also; I have to laugh when I read here that Kiwis & Aussies are believing they can score point with regards to the American's Language ? ? ? ? - That is a classic case of the Pot calling the Kettle black ! ! ! !

Last but not least; America has spawned some magnificent authors - and for all of you Yankee-Haters I have some advice: pick-up any Louis L'Amour novel and read it - then let the world know how you feel about the good ol' US of A !

thumbsup.gif

I think there is a lot to be said for this post.

• Like 1

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at American Foreign Policy since the Great Depression, up to the present day, and you will find your answer.

Yes, it was bad foreign policy to begin lend lease and finance the battle of Britain to allow you to continue to speak English. Poor policy to side with the allies in WWII and get you out of those little cages the Japs put you in. Even worse policy to rebuild both the infrastructure and economy in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia; and that poor policy was exponentiated by the fact we erased your debt for all these concessions. Our offensive foreign policy even forced humanitarian aid in food, medicine and education on numerous countries in Africa and Asia. Worse yet we engaged the Soviet Union in the Cold War to preserve your way of life and return independence to many countries in Eastern Europe and Western Asia. Do not forget the horrible decision to fight the war on terror instead of letting you enjoy sharia law after fighting it alone. Of course, if you don't know these things and think our foreign policy mistakes far out-number our successes, well . . . .

• Like 2

Mainly it's the hypocrisy of their foreign policy. They preach democracy but support some of the worst dictators on the planet and bring down democracies when they refuse to bend over for uncle Sam. They are dangerous and divisive and rain down death and destruction on anyone they fancy. They have turned Iraq and Libya in to hells on earth. Their governments, of whatever ilk, are elected (usually) fascists! Must stop now, my veins are popping out.

Well if that's the case then maybe the anti-American sentiment will be changing, as President McBummer announced in his West Point graduation speech a new non-interventionist policy - basically telling all the scumbags of the world they can go right ahead with their dirty work as the US military won't do anything - but I don't see any new update. Actually if this were actually the source of the anti-American sentiment we should see exactly the same sentiment against, say, Chinese, Russians, or the broader radical Sunni nation, all of whom fit your bill just as well as the (minus the "preach democracy" and replace "Iraq and Libya" with different names), with difference being you're politically freer in US.

SO I don't think the perceived foreign policy is 100% the reason, for the simple fact that we don't see the same anti-Russian or anti-Chinese (or can I say anti-Muslim) sentiment. So maybe it's the fact that the Americans do it with a sort of "we're cowboys here to save the day" attitude which really pisses leftists (as well as people who get caught up in it such as the poster with loved ones involved in the friendly fire) off.

Why would we see the same anti Russian or anti Chinese sentiment? They're not constantly sticking their noses, often violently, into every bodies business as though they own the world.

And we do see plenty of anti Muslim sentiment.

Sent from my XT1033 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have got to be joking me. Russia is taking over the Ukraine and China wants the oil in the South China Sea. The Muslim extremists want to kill anyone who is not.......well, Muslim.

Your last sentence is spot on.

In the last two centuries America has steadily usurped Britains position as the dominant world power. If you think America is intrusive in the affairs of other countries, then just take a look at this map which depicts the only 22 countries in the world that Britain has NOT invaded.

attachicon.gifthe-only-countries-britain-has-not-invaded.jpg

And you think any of those countries would be so much better off if they hadn't? Notice they didn't bother with Thailand. smile.png

Of course the British invaded Thailand in the course of WWII. It's a pretty difficult fact to dispute. I'll attach a headline. You only need to perform 30 seconds of online research before you start providing your mis-information. As I said in my previous post, there are very few countries that were exempt from Britain's imperialism.

So there are welcome & unwelcome invasions, in the case of WWII, I am sure that the invasion of Thailand was welcome - to all except the Japanese.

As Thailand joined the allied forces on the Western Front in 1917 & in my view changed the tide of the war - does that mean that Thailand invaded France ?

One day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am an American, just for starters.

Many Americans are loud mouths, as are many Germans, Italians and French (especially Italians). I think accents that differ from what we are used to also seem louder. I like Australian accent best, plus way they work in some wry humor to about any situation.

I tend to avoid Fox watchers, as I find them worse than some religious who have found "one true religion" and everything else is lies. Double for gun nuts. Tendency of Americans to actually believe they know what is best for everyone else. My sister was one who was convinced everyone in the world wanted to be an American. Ha!

As I went for my walk today, I had the thought along lines of asking "What the hell is that wank Putin doing???" to any stray Russian. Then thought "That is probably same thing many Euros and others want to ask/demand of Americans".

I am embarrassed, angry, sad about direction US foreign policy has taken since at least WWII. Perhaps once upon a time USA actually stood for something worthwhile, but those ideals have gone in the trash bin. We are ruled by military industrial complex. No one listened to Ike.

On the plus side I would say most Americans are not stuffy, class ridden, stand offish. On individual level we dislike seeing injustice, will help people out in a bind, and are outgoing.

Yes Bill Hicks was amazing. I assumed he was talking about television comedy shows though rather than comedians.

The best singers were and are all Americans, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney and not forgetting Jo Stafford, then in Country music, George Jones, Vince Gill.

Yes, the Americans sure have and had the best entertainers. No doubt about that.

Many doubts about that.

Your last sentence is spot on.

Mainly it's the hypocrisy of their foreign policy. They preach democracy but support some of the worst dictators on the planet and bring down democracies when they refuse to bend over for uncle Sam. They are dangerous and divisive and rain down death and destruction on anyone they fancy. They have turned Iraq and Libya in to hells on earth. Their governments, of whatever ilk, are elected (usually) fascists! Must stop now, my veins are popping out.

Well if that's the case then maybe the anti-American sentiment will be changing, as President McBummer announced in his West Point graduation speech a new non-interventionist policy - basically telling all the scumbags of the world they can go right ahead with their dirty work as the US military won't do anything - but I don't see any new update. Actually if this were actually the source of the anti-American sentiment we should see exactly the same sentiment against, say, Chinese, Russians, or the broader radical Sunni nation, all of whom fit your bill just as well as the (minus the "preach democracy" and replace "Iraq and Libya" with different names), with difference being you're politically freer in US.

SO I don't think the perceived foreign policy is 100% the reason, for the simple fact that we don't see the same anti-Russian or anti-Chinese (or can I say anti-Muslim) sentiment. So maybe it's the fact that the Americans do it with a sort of "we're cowboys here to save the day" attitude which really pisses leftists (as well as people who get caught up in it such as the poster with loved ones involved in the friendly fire) off.

Why would we see the same anti Russian or anti Chinese sentiment? They're not constantly sticking their noses, often violently, into every bodies business as though they own the world.

And we do see plenty of anti Muslim sentiment.

Sent from my XT1033 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have got to be joking me. Russia is taking over the Ukraine and China wants the oil in the South China Sea. The Muslim extremists want to kill anyone who is not.......well, Muslim.

Not really, the extremists kill many Muslims as well. That isis bunch have even recently executed a load of fsa soldiers and they're all Sunni.

• Like 1

It is not that you are an American. I am Canadian and I have many American Friends.

It is your attitude! The "I am Greater than Thou" attitude you seem to possess. Nobody likes that.

So believe me, it is not your Nationality than needs changing. It is your behavior and personality.

The Kiwi was right. It wasn't any of your business.

So I am American and I have travel to about 10 different countries including Thailand. I have never had any problems except in one country and that was France. French people are very rude to anyone but I think it's specially Americans. I'm not a person to fight but I was close to cracking a few skulls in France. In Thailand, I've met Aussies, Brits, Germans, Spanish, even french and everyone had been nothing but friendly to me. I don't consider myself the friendliest guy out there but I'm up for meeting people and having convs. So maybe it's you haha just kidding. You just probably just met the wrong people. Good luck.

look at the world today ,where is the USA ,talk and no action ,world is falling apart with no leader with back bone ,the world needs a strong leader in one country ,may as well give world order to ladyboys in Pattaya or some old queen

I am an American, just for starters.

Many Americans are loud mouths, as are many Germans, Italians and French (especially Italians). I think accents that differ from what we are used to also seem louder. I like Australian accent best, plus way they work in some wry humor to about any situation.

I tend to avoid Fox watchers, as I find them worse than some religious who have found "one true religion" and everything else is lies. Double for gun nuts. Tendency of Americans to actually believe they know what is best for everyone else. My sister was one who was convinced everyone in the world wanted to be an American. Ha!

As I went for my walk today, I had the thought along lines of asking "What the hell is that wank Putin doing???" to any stray Russian. Then thought "That is probably same thing many Euros and others want to ask/demand of Americans".

I am embarrassed, angry, sad about direction US foreign policy has taken since at least WWII. Perhaps once upon a time USA actually stood for something worthwhile, but those ideals have gone in the trash bin. We are ruled by military industrial complex. No one listened to Ike.

On the plus side I would say most Americans are not stuffy, class ridden, stand offish. On individual level we dislike seeing injustice, will help people out in a bind, and are outgoing.

"Many Americans are loud mouths, as are many Germans, Italians and French (especially Italians)"

Hey you left out the Brits, go to Pattaya, you'll see what I mean.

In the last two centuries America has steadily usurped Britains position as the dominant world power. If you think America is intrusive in the affairs of other countries, then just take a look at this map which depicts the only 22 countries in the world that Britain has NOT invaded.

attachicon.gifthe-only-countries-britain-has-not-invaded.jpg

And you think any of those countries would be so much better off if they hadn't? Notice they didn't bother with Thailand. smile.png

Of course the British invaded Thailand in the course of WWII. It's a pretty difficult fact to dispute. I'll attach a headline. You only need to perform 30 seconds of online research before you start providing your mis-information. As I said in my previous post, there are very few countries that were exempt from Britain's imperialism.

Whoops, my bad. I was thinking 'colonised' (or colonized if you prefer). Of course Thailand and Thais suffered terribly from the British Invasion.

Hi USA Mate

I was born in the UK but living in New Zealand for 27yrs and now Thailand for 8 yrs.

A lot of people outside USA have gripes with USA they have started most of the wars around the world except for WW1& WW2. They did not come into WW1 till 1918 at the end and then made movies showing they won it, WW2 they never came in to help us or the countries in Europe until December 1942, Churchill warned Rosavelt that Japan was planning something bad against the USA he even went as far as presenting USA with 2 radar trucks for Hawaii your idiots running them saw all the spots coming and said aw they are ours when the Japs started bombing the ships they reported it but the HQ in Hawaii were afraid to report it to the commanding officer because he was playing GOLF.

You came into the war and your first invasion was in Marrocco and headed East you were getting slaughtered by the Germans and a Kiwi company saved you, a Kiwi received 2 VC's in that battle.

You screwed up in the Korean War and the Vietnam war you never to the advice or results of the French there you thought you were the number 1.

Later you invaded a small island in the West Indies Granada with your fleet and planes and made a big movie from it. You never made any movies of your true failures in The first battle of WW2 but made a great movie with Garry Cooper Sargent York.

You started the Bagdad war to turn it into a democracy which was stupid as there are so many tribes there it would have been impossible, also you were part of putting Sadam In power, that country could only be ruled as a police state and Sadam kept it that way, peace for years until you stuck your nose in.

Sorry Mate, nothing against the American working people just your politicians. The conditions for you coming in Churchill had to give you a lot of space in certain country's which we did. All about money etc, and Britten just about went bankrupt on the cost you put on them for supplying a lot or your derelict old ships and supply's.

On another point I do not think we could have won WW2 without you but we would have tried hard like the battle of Britten on our own, Roosevelt wanted to come in and help UK but he had a lot of pressure from a lot of people especially that German guy who flew a cross the Atlantic

But I still love a lot of the working people Mate.

I think you forget one very important incident. Americans turned WW2 in to their favour by capturing ENIGMA coder from German U-Boat!! smile.png (I think Brits made a movie about it)

I think you got that arse about face (to coin a Britishism). The British captured U110 and got their hands on an Enigma machine which Bletchley Park used to shorten the length of the war.

Hollywood made a move called U571 which was complete fiction.

Iraq and Libya were hells on earth long before the Americans got involved.

That is not true. Iraq ,prior to 1990, was the envy of the Arab world. the country had an excellent health and education system. It became a shithole after the Desert Storm. similarly with Libya. Both were dictatorships but their people were well fed and taken care of. Similarly, migrant workers on both countries had work. The zeal of America to dismantle these countries, Syria as well created a far worse situation than that of 'lack of democracy'. As others have commented, democracy is an infinitely stretchable thing which can fit the case we choose and ignore similar situations elsewhere.

Whereas American people are not any worse than any other, it is the double standards of the American foreign policy that pisses people off. Having said that we all are of course eternally grateful for your intervention in both the great wars.

Both Hussein and Gaddafi were mass murderers killing, raping and torturing their own brethren. Tell me again what Gardens of Eden Iraq and Libya were before the Americans and most of the free world intervened to put these monsters away.

A question to all Americans.

You have guns and a lot of them. Why don't You use em'?? I thought Your founding fathers said what they are for!?

The guns are there, sure. But that darn ammo gets expensive.

We are all just waiting for the Red Coats to come back.

Not firing until we see the whites of their eyes.....

(Only kidding....gonna blast away as soon as we see the red)

I've got a surprise for you. They stopped wearing red coats a while ago biggrin.png

It's love-hate and it's been brewing for a long time. The first contemporaneous expressions regarding American hypocrisy began to appear in the European press in the 19th century when America decided it would become a imperialist power. The Great Powers of the day were fearful and distrustful of where and how this new force would express itself. Very much like the American ruling class likes to portray China today. The USA gobbled up Hawaii, minuscule South Pacific Islands and fought a long, bloody war for control of the Philippines, a war that produced a native body count that would not be equaled until Viet Nam. In the American hemisphere it came to dominate and control the Carribbean and South America which it ruled via client dictators. A sort of invisible Raj. In the meantime it acquired Alaska from the Russians. The entire hemisphere would have been under the American Eagle had the two early attempts to conquer Canada by invasion been successful. European Empires had to have allies or confront rivals on two or more fronts, a condition that was not shared by the USA. America by the dawn of the 20th Century had in fact become a global hegemon. The two world wars revealed that to everyone. Most people I know and speak to very clearly express their ability to differentiate between any given government and the people it rules over. As a general observation I would say westerners are quite tolerant and open towards each other. Now it is 70 years since the end of WWII and America is still pursuing a greater hegemonic influence, dragging its client nations, beholden nations, and dependant nations into conflicts that many of the aforementioned entities do not feel motivated or threatened sufficient to sacrifice their own blood and treasure. They want their sovereignty back. This issue will become more visible and vocal in the future.

• Like 2

Look at American Foreign Policy since the Great Depression, up to the present day, and you will find your answer.

Yes, it was bad foreign policy to begin lend lease and finance the battle of Britain to allow you to continue to speak English.

The Lend Lease Act was signed into law in March 1941. The Battle of Britain was over by the end of 1940.

• Like 1

Now Now! no need for sarcasm, the yanks wouldn't recognise it anyway.

Where did that MORONIC myth come from?bah.gif

There you go, spoken like a true American.

Sure thing, mate.

The truth is the most successful comedians and comedic writers in American history have been Jews and major element of Jewish humor is SARCASM.

So this idiotic insult mostly from Brits is just totally bizarre.

It could be argued the opposite is true -- that the USA is the global hub of SARCASM.

I am sincerely curious about this, how this stupid myth got perpetuated. It is definitely not true, so how/why did Brits get this so WRONG?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Now Now! no need for sarcasm, the yanks wouldn't recognise it anyway.

Where did that MORONIC myth come from?bah.gif

There you go, spoken like a true American.

Sure thing, mate.

The truth is the most successful comedians and comedic writers in American history have been Jews and major element of Jewish humor is SARCASM.

So this idiotic insult mostly from Brits is just totally bizarre.

It could be argued the opposite is true -- that the USA is the global hub of SARCASM.

Yeah, right

One day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

They do it mostly out of ignorance....

It is not only ignorance,but mostly JEALOUSY, in my honest opinion. - This is, no doubt, based on the "picture of Life in America' which thee people retain after watching some of the best motion-pictures produced on earth. The often "lavish" lifestyles depicted, get people's "jealousy-gauges" going.

I am a Dutchman, and I for one am extremely grateful to the Americans for 'helping us out' with the horrible WW-2; if it wasn't for the US of A, I (and all of my European counterparts) would be speaking German now ! ! ! !

Then; American young lives (millions of them) have been the difference between "Freedom" and "Oppression" ever since WW-2 - and I, for one, am nothing but grateful to the Americans ! !

Whenever & wherever there is a 'hot-spot' caused by callous governments, dictator or natural disaster: who jumps-up and rushes to take the required action ? ? ? It's always the USA !

Also; I have to laugh when I read here that Kiwis & Aussies are believing they can score point with regards to the American's Language ? ? ? ? - That is a classic case of the Pot calling the Kettle black ! ! ! !

Last but not least; America has spawned some magnificent authors - and for all of you Yankee-Haters I have some advice: pick-up any Louis L'Amour novel and read it - then let the world know how you feel about the good ol' US of A !

thumbsup.gif

I think there is a lot to be said for this post.

Yes. There maybe some brown "stuff" around his mouth after kissing. ;)

• Like 1

As a Brit, we have our problems, I have travelled the world, and have had the pleasure of going to the States a few times as well.

Americans who are abroad, like yourself, understand geography, however your fellow comrades back in the states, are not too up on geography, and if given a pin and asked to put in in a map, showing other parts of the world, I am not talking about unknown countries, , parts of europe, Iran etc theses countries, they have a lot of opinion about, but no idea where they are.

It seems that , like all of us, from whatever country, are being tarnished with the same brush as your fellow countrymen.

That includes me, drunken louts ( Brits) behaving badly in spain etc.

For the record, a number of us (yes, I'm an American and a Texan to boot) are leaving to get away from many of the things you've talked about here. My husband and I are included in that number. I can't stand the 'Murica! attitude that has taken over and I don't feel like things are going to get any better anytime soon. I'd rather move overseas and watch from afar. That being said, I'm not giving up my US citizenship either. whistling.gif

As far as accents go:

Aussie - I'm good. I can understand you even when I'm half lit.

British - It takes me about 5 minutes to adjust to your cadence. I'm good after that.

Scottish - No hope. I need a translator. I still love to listen to you, though. I'm a sucker for anything Scottish.

• Like 1