Anybody knows a safe Thai visa agent in Penang?

4 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

If I can borrow the thread, a visa company in phuket is now telling me embassy in penang require a ticket "to your home country" for them to grant a tourist visa. Is this correct?

That is not correct. Only a ticket out of Thailand to anywhere is needed.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. Only a ticket out of Thailand to anywhere is needed.

Thx! But this is new yes? So I need to book an airline ticket for several thousand baht probably, on top of everything else yes? 

12 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

Thx! But this is new yes? So I need to book an airline ticket for several thousand baht probably, on top of everything else yes? 

It is new.

A one way ticket to a nearby country is much less than several thousand baht. You can find them to KL for example for not much more than 1000 baht if you purchase them in advance.

Just now, eezergood said:

which agent are you using?

They book a "dummy" ticket for you the lady said. Got the same price from two companys who I know use different agents so this is the new norm as far as the onward ticket rule goes I guess. 

1 minute ago, Kaalle said:

They book a "dummy" ticket for you the lady said. Got the same price from two companys who I know use different agents so this is the new norm as far as the onward ticket rule goes I guess. 

ok - im also looking for an agent as I would like to enjoy the day(s) in Penang rather than spend them in the office... so if you can offer you personal recommendations?

7 minutes ago, eezergood said:

ok - im also looking for an agent as I would like to enjoy the day(s) in Penang rather than spend them in the office... so if you can offer you personal recommendations?

The company that im going with now I actually dont know what agent they use. The other company uses Banana as far as I know, Banana has always been great, they can probably fix most potential problems and what not. Not sure if they can sort out a ticket for you though. 

Edit: Which you dont need I can see now, anyways, go with banana for sure! 

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, eezergood said:

This one mentioned on on page one is good.

• Like 1

I stayed in Georgetown and stayed at a decent hotel called chula mansions or hotel or something and on the same side of rd is a trusted visa agent. If your coming out of chula turn right and on sane side no more than 100m is an agents office and there's some decent food round there too. Line clear is there too a well known Indian restaurant but I would not go there alone again. Some great coffee shops and nice relaxed streets to take in round there too. 1 day turnaround on the visa and you have to entrust the passport with the agent I think.

38 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I stayed in Georgetown and stayed at a decent hotel called chula mansions or hotel or something and on the same side of rd is a trusted visa agent. If your coming out of chula turn right and on sane side no more than 100m is an agents office and there's some decent food round there too. Line clear is there too a well known Indian restaurant but I would not go there alone again. Some great coffee shops and nice relaxed streets to take in round there too. 1 day turnaround on the visa and you have to entrust the passport with the agent I think.

If staying at Chulia Mansion Hotel (which I consider a good choice) the hotel has a recommended agent they will ask to drop by on request.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eezergood said:

how much is a taxi form the airport to this gaff?

Taxi rates in Penang are reasonable. I cannot remember exactly how much it is from the airport to Chulia, probably about 30-35 MYR. If you want to save money, there are public buses from the airport that you can take to within about 300 meters of the hotel. These are very cheap, though they obviously take more time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Taxi rates in Penang are reasonable. I cannot remember exactly how much it is from the airport to Chulia, probably about 30-35 MYR. If you want to save money, there are public buses from the airport that you can take to within about 300 meters of the hotel. These are very cheap, though they obviously take more time.

thanks for your help 

4 minutes ago, eezergood said:

thanks for your help 

One additional warning I should add. If you want to use the bus, make sure you have small change (at a minimum, some 1 MYR notes) as the buses do not give change.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2017 at 5:01 PM, BritTim said:

One additional warning I should add. If you want to use the bus, make sure you have small change (at a minimum, some 1 MYR notes) as the buses do not give change.

shoudl i take Baht or dollars?

2 hours ago, eezergood said:

shoudl i take Baht or dollars?

If you have time,get some MYR at SuperRich or Vasu before going.Apart from that, dollars and baht are both OK, but you will get a worse rate than SuperRich or Vasu will give you.

Ok guys quick update - I did my Non Immigrant visa, I used Banana as my agent. Service was great, the lady in the shop was very helpful and zero hassles. Was MYR350 and returned the next day as promised. If you need to print, I advise you to do so before, as printing service seemed to be an issue with the people I met. 

Stayed at Chulia mansions - very close to Jims place and many other visa agents, great place, very clean, super value for money. Even a free flow wine offer from 5-7pm!

The only issue was most places close for food quote early, so you will need to walk into Little India for a late supper - about 10 mins max.