I've just gone through immigration at swampy 28/28

Has anyone heard of a rotational worker being knocked back in the last few days?

I left Swampy over two days ago now and in that time there will have easily have been over 1,000 rotational workers come in and out. I've not seen anywhere news of any being knocked back................

have you?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard of a rotational worker being knocked back in the last few days?

I left Swampy over two days ago now and in that time there will have easily have been over 1,000 rotational workers come in and out. I've not seen anywhere news of any being knocked back................

have you?

Well Phuket have given a friend 7 days extension at the end of which he has to leave thailand and not return until after his next work rotation.. According to phuket immigration.

That isnt knocked back in bangkok but they are 100% that he would be knocked back if he tried it on phuket.

I suspect he could go get a visa and go through bangkok to home..

Surely it's risky asking these questions to immigration officers though as that may point them in the direction that you're not a tourist which will lead them to further questions to then face possible deportation no?

I don't know. I would have possibly kept quiet about it all. For most people it's time to leave and get the right visa. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Surely it's risky asking these questions to immigration officers though as that may point them in the direction that you're not a tourist which will lead them to further questions to then face possible deportation no?

I don't know. I would have possibly kept quiet about it all. For most people it's time to leave and get the right visa. sad.png

I don't agree. I'd much rather hear it for myself than rely on the words of other people and message boards. (no offence to TV or anyone that has posted) It's their job to inform us of the situation. I don't see Thai people in a bad light like many do, especially those online. I've never had an issue with a Thai offical when i have asked a straight forwards question.

The FOUR different officials i asked about me returning after the 12th were all very helpful

• Like 1

I don't know. I would have possibly kept quiet about it all. For most people it's time to leave and get the right visa. sad.png

I don't agree. I'd much rather hear it for myself than rely on the words of other people and message boards. (no offence to TV or anyone that has posted) It's their job to inform us of the situation. I don't see Thai people in a bad light like many do, especially those online. I've never had an issue with a Thai offical when i have asked a straight forwards question.

The FOUR different officials i asked about me returning after the 12th were all very helpful

Hi Bear

Thanks for the info, I am in the same boat on 6 x 6 rotation like lots of other expats ,just seem to have got caught up in between renewing my Retirement visa, was meant to do it last month. Lets hope I can get a sympathetic ear(or one of them 4 officials) when I arrive home, I can not get a visa in the country I work in ,

Hope some one can advise me on the following dilemma , i am married, have two kids been in Thailand a far while mostly on non O to start with, then the other year on retirement visa multi entry.
My retirement and multi entry ran out in may , but i entered before the visa run out date so had the xtra time on the visa to run, but during this time i had to go back to the UK, got a new passport and returned to Thailand ,fully intending to re new my Retirement visa ,how ever i got a call to do some work and left the country on the 16th July.
I am due back to Thailand on the 27th Aug ,i have already one VOA in my passport ,will i be refused entry.
I have a copy of marriage and kids birth certificates with me plus my bank books will this help ? May just have to wait till after the 12th Aug to see if this will give a problem getting back in.
  • Like 1

Many offshore workers on the Norwegian part of the North Sea actually have a 14-28 rotation. Some of them live in Thailand off course, but it could be a problem for some now as they spend more than 220 days in Thailand every year.

I`m an offshore worker myself but i don't live in Thailand. I travel frequently dough, about 6 x 3 weeks every year, but i dont expect any problem with my travel pattern. All my trips have been on Visa Exemption, never overstayed, no tourist visa.

A mate doing 14/28 rotations got the O-I stamp a few weeks ago at Phuket Airport. He was detained and questioned for hours before they finally let him in. Told not to return to Thailand again without a Visa.

I have seen the passport; O-I with a pen under the 30 day exempt stamp.

In probably 100 visits over the past decade or more I've never once had an immigration officer - in or out - ask me a question - generally 28/28, 35/35 or even 14/14 sometimes. The only time until recently when he handed me my passport back when leaving and ushered me to the side of his booth and whispered, "hope you do well in the world cup ....... but not as well as Brazil" - He laughed, I diplomatically laughed aswell.

• Like 2

A mate doing 14/28 rotations got the O-I stamp a few weeks ago at Phuket Airport. He was detained and questioned for hours before they finally let him in. Told not to return to Thailand again without a Visa.

I know about a norwegian guy that this happened to, are we talking about the same case? He got some extra time off from his job and decided to take a visarun. And as far as I remember he had also taken av visarun a few years before this also, his passport was full of 30 day stamps btw.

I know about a norwegian guy that this happened to, are we talking about the same case? He got some extra time off from his job and decided to take a visarun. And as far as I remember he had also taken av visarun a few years before this also, his passport was full of 30 day stamps btw.

I dont think so. This one was not out/in the same day. Spent a couple of days in KL, and got trouble when he came back.

Which means: You may be able to get away with using visa exempts while on rotation leave. But you can not leave Thailand for a holiday and come back during the same period.

This depends on who you meet, and the mood of the day i guess.. I will try to avoid immigration in Phuket from now on.

In probably 100 visits over the past decade or more I've never once had an immigration officer - in or out - ask me a question - generally 28/28, 35/35 or even 14/14 sometimes. The only time until recently when he handed me my passport back when leaving and ushered me to the side of his booth and whispered, "hope you do well in the world cup ....... but not as well as Brazil" - He laughed, I diplomatically laughed aswell.

Haha yes immigration officers are just like real people, and they like football. Last time I left the country Holland had just beaten Costa Rica to go into the semi finals. The officer was about to give me my passport back, then suddenly took it back to look at it again, gave it back and congratulated me on the win of The Netherlands :-) Obvious I have a Dutch passport..

What does 28/28 refer to?

It's a work pattern oil workers and seafarers use. 28 on and 28 off. Refers to work cycle. Many various 14/14, 21/21, 28/28, 35/35 or 42/42. The rotations are almost infinite, used to do 9/2 (weeks) in China.

What does 28/28 refer to?

It's a work pattern oil workers and seafarers use. 28 on and 28 off. Refers to work cycle. Many various 14/14, 21/21, 28/28, 35/35 or 42/42. The rotations are almost infinite, used to do 9/2 (weeks) in China.

Come to think of it bridge engineers and road builders use the terminology aswell.

Cheers for the info frankly like me you've put a few people minds at rest

So thanks for that I'm back from offshore on the 15th August that's what I was worried about as I have a couple of tourist visas in my pp

Cheers mate have a good trip don't work to hard

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No probs. might be worth having your contract with you though

I'm in same situation, my view on this since I've been Vacationing in Thailand for many years now.

Thai immigration has offered us legally this 30 day stamp with no amount of stamp limits in passports can get as many as you want, as an alternative to the tourist visa process.Good for me (USA)

Sure if i was married to a Thai, owed a home or business in Thailand paid taxes etc. I would get the proper visa.

But why would I waste my time and money each time I start my vacation, to get a Tourist visa that I do not legally require to enter Thailand? that's why the 30 day stamp option is the best LEGAL option for me.

Still available after August 12th as well. Unless the laws change. Which nobody knows what will happen for sure not even immigration officers are on same page with this.

all 30 day stamps in my passport, Never any issues upon entry or departure before.

work offshore 35/35 will be arriving Phuket for my monthly vacation on Aug 15th was assured by immigration official i queried on my last departure same same "No Problem for you USA" exact words

The only difference for me this time after reading all the blogs on this subject..

will be, if asked i have in hand an onward ticket to be canceled after my entry to Thailand ,A company travel letter explaining my work offshore boat reg etc.and bank statement.

I am quite confident i will have no problem but will report here my experience on the 16th...cheers

Sorry if this is abit off topic lads but since this is involving offshore workers then i thought it might be relevant.

Like i've said in a previous thread i'll be moving over to live in Thailand during my time off from working offshore. This time im applying for a tourist visa double entry from London so it will be ready for me getting off this boat on 15th August. In future i wont be going back to the UK so i was wondering if i can apply for a tourist visa from any of the surrounding countries like Malaysia ect and i could get the companies i work for to fly me there then i can apply for a tourist visa if i think im going to be in the country longer than the 30 days visa exempt rule.

Does anyo9ne know if i'll be able to do this?

Cheers

Enter Thailand on 30 day stamp go to local Immigration office for 7 days extension 1900bht.

gives you 37 days in Thailand ..

works perfect for me. doing 5 weeks on 5 weeks off with travel days to and from the Gulf of Mexico in between.

• Like 1

Won't be a problem for us. They know we spend money.

I am on a 30 day arrival stamp and was just granted a temp. work permit as I have a short job in Thailand this week.

Should GIRU the haters knowing the big earning/spending offshore boys are fine.

As someone else pointed out they don't care how much money you spend, I wonder when all foreigners are going to understand that

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

I dont think so. This one was not out/in the same day. Spent a couple of days in KL, and got trouble when he came back.

Which means: You may be able to get away with using visa exempts while on rotation leave. But you can not leave Thailand for a holiday and come back during the same period.

This depends on who you meet, and the mood of the day i guess.. I will try to avoid immigration in Phuket from now on.

I remember now, actually he did stay a couple days in KL and was travelling with his girlfriend.

Hi All, just opened a new topic but been asked post here.

Just to let you's all know my experience yesterday at Bangkok airport. I Landed in morning around 11am and made my way to the immigration control, the officer asked me a number of time why i was in Thailand, i answered for a holiday and to visit my wife. He then called over a female officer who took me to one side and explained that to visit Thailand regular i would need to apply for the correct visa prior to arriving, she took a copy of my passport and informed me that i would be denied entry if i attempted to enter with a visa on arrivals again.

Now a little about myself, I work offshore and have been visiting Thailand for the last 4years, my rotation is 4 weeks on 4 weeks off, i regularly do more than 4 weeks at work which eats into my time off and once a year i return to the UK to visit family, meaning each year i visit Thailand 5 times and stay no longer than 30days, my passport is just over a year old and has 5 entry/exit stamps in it, i have never done a visa run and never overstayed, each time i leave Thailand i stay out of the country for 30day or more. When in Thailand i stay with my wife in rented accommodation all in the wife's name.

Edited by pt83

Did they in any way mark your passport.. Eg the dreaded OI stamp that the south is using.

What is the OI stamp?

I Got the standard 30 day stamp with my flight number wrote on in pen and a W, think the W is just officers name/signature

I was with a lawyer today who deals with immigration issues.

Contrary to the popular belief that 28/28 rotations with VEE (visa exempt entries) will be acceptable as a long term solution to staying in Thailand, he felt, that with his dealings with Immigration officials, it will not.

He argued that residing in the country on a regular basis, even on a rotational basis, falls outside of the intended use of VEE.

He believed that VEE was for the occasional visitor to the country who comes for a holiday, and then returns home to where he lives.

Obviously without clear limitations on number of VEEs per year, it will be at the discretion of the Immigration official to make a judgement.

Just his opinion...