Special Report: Thailand gears up for arrival of ASEAN

Lite Beer

Special Report: Thailand gears up for arrival of ASEAN

BANGKOK: -- A Directorate Center has been set up by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to prepare Thailand for the arrival ASEAN Community in 2015. The NCPO has also formed a committee to take charge of the operations of the center.

The committee, chaired by the Deputy Head of NCPO and Security Chief, will be responsible for setting policies, guidelines, and Thailand’s position in the cooperative frameworks of ASEAN.

The NCPO intends to integrate the work of all relevant agencies in preparation for the ASEAN Community for all three pillars – the ASEAN Political-Security Community, the ASEAN Economic Community, and the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community.

The Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board has worked out an eight-point strategy to get Thailand ready for the ASEAN Community. The strategy seeks to enhance Thailand’s competitiveness in relation to the development of quality of life, social protection, infrastructure and logistics, and human resources. it also seek to improve laws and regulations, create better understanding and awareness of ASEAN, enhance security, and increase potential for greater opportunities from ASEAN connectivity.

Among the urgent issues is skill development in terms of both professions and languages for communication, in response to the demands of the country and the region.

In preparation for the ASEAN Community, the Office of the Basic Education Commission is developing professional English courses for underprivileged students who have no opportunity to continue their studies after finishing the lower secondary education level. The objective is to equip them with proficient English language communication skills for employment in various industries.

The professional English courses focus on conversation, or communication, for 10 occupational groups, such as English for Hotels, English for Construction Workers, English for Cashiers, and English for Convenience Stores.

In this regard, the existing English courses being taught in secondary education schools will be adjusted, so that professional English courses will be added during English hours in schools. The Office of the Basic Education Commission has provided training for 450 English-language teachers who will teach professional English courses in this pilot project, beginning in the second term of the 2014 academic year. The project will be expanded to cover 7,000 schools in the near future.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-20 footer_n.gif

I wish thailand all the best ...They sure are going to need it

This could have been a fantastic opportunity ...but sadly the elites and now the killer leaders are just too far up their own backsides they will be run right over

• Like 1

"The Office of the Basic Education Commission has provided training for 450 English-language teachers who will teach professional English courses in this pilot project, beginning in the second term of the 2014 academic year."

Are these teachers Thai or Farang native speakers?

• Like 1

"The Office of the Basic Education Commission has provided training for 450 English-language teachers who will teach professional English courses in this pilot project, beginning in the second term of the 2014 academic year."

You know the answer to that! wink.png

450 Thai teachers who are great at individual points of grammar, but can't string a spoken sentence together! w00t.gif

Edit: Also, what is a "professional English course" ??? cheesy.gif

Edited by UbonRatch

" The strategy seeks to enhance Thailand’s competitiveness..."

The only strategy that's going to enhance Thailand's competitiveness is recruiting nationals from other southeast Asian countries to work in Thailand. Right now, working in 7-11 is too much of a challenge for most university graduates in Thailand. International educational standards require more than being able to sing the same songs every morning and trying to kill students from other schools.

• Like 2

Smart classrooms will replace teachers.

You know the answer to that! wink.png

450 Thai teachers who are great at individual points of grammar, but can't string a spoken sentence together! w00t.gif

Edit: Also, what is a "professional English course" ??? cheesy.gif

Might be a weekend seminar with professional cooks, able to make Somtahm Lao for the lunch break.

Will they be filled with 'smart' students?

• Like 2

The curriculum changes will also place more importance on the country's history and civic education to promote a sense of unity and patriotism, he said

Which means more boy scout marching and properly a new and longer national anthem everybody likes to sing in the morning.

Unity and patriotism. Gotta love this one. Reminds me of a country in Europe a long time ago, that finally had lost the war.

Will they be filled with 'smart' students?

Yep. Obec will also expand the satellite-based Klaikangwon Palace distance learning scheme to cover all schools, especially small ones.

They'll be able to learn English within a week with the help of Tony Blair. Aeeh Blame.

With so many foreigners living in Thailand, maybe an idea to offer free work permits to teach English to so many who need at least some basic knowledge? I am constantly amazed that even at bit supermarket (i.e. Tesco Lotus EXTRA), nobody speaks ANY English...

The professional English courses focus on conversation, or communication, for 10 occupational groups, such as English for Hotels, English for Construction Workers, English for Cashiers, and English for Convenience Stores.

The teachers will be recruited from several bars in Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. The Junta will also pay the bar fine for the teaching period. Period.

I hope they don't get lost in their conversational communications.

at least it would be an improvement compared to the existing english teachers here-weelcoooome.

• Like 1

The teachers will be recruited from several bars in Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. The Junta will also pay the bar fine for the teaching period. Period.

at least it would be an improvement compared to the existing english teachers here-weelcoooome.

Indeed. Of course will they be allowed to offer their friendly services to foreign teachers at schools for free to "enhance" their speaking skills.

Indeed. Of course will they be allowed to offer their friendly services to foreign teachers at schools for free to "enhance" their speaking skills.

would it be mandatory it will be the first time here that i am happy NOT to be an english teacher...

• Like 1

They would have to be Thais

There has been no offers online or at the MOE for Native speaking foreigners to take this training.

Good luck to them with their courses. But i think without correct pronunciation there will be a lot of misunderstandings.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

With so many foreigners living in Thailand, maybe an idea to offer free work permits to teach English to so many who need at least some basic knowledge? I am constantly amazed that even at bit supermarket (i.e. Tesco Lotus EXTRA), nobody speaks ANY English...

Good idea but I would also offer free work permits to teatch Thai's how to fn drive.

• Like 1

would it be mandatory it will be the first time here that i am happy NOT to be an english teacher...

Nope. As far as the OBEC ruled, it's not mandatory.

They would have to be Thais

There has been no offers online or at the MOE for Native speaking foreigners to take this training.

Good luck to them with their courses. But i think without correct pronunciation there will be a lot of misunderstandings.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They usually "learn" their special skills in weekend seminars, but usually held by foreigners who can speak English.

When trainees become trainers of trainees, who're not much better than the trainees, there might be some problems to be successful in training trainees.

Or short. It doesn't work.

I have often gone into banks, hospitals,True, AIS and DO HOME and politely asked in Thai " Do you have someone here who speaks English". Hospitals, AIS and True usually have one staff member who has a basic grasp and they try to be helpful but often their reaction is sometimes akin to me having asked if they can speak Swahili.

The most proficient speakers of English in Thailand are usually ladies working in bars, hotels and restaurants where there are large numbers of farang customers who usually speak English.

It's a shame but that's the way it is, too many Thais who have learned some English at school are too shy to try and converse, even in a simple conversation with a farang.

• Like 1