"Pepperoni" Pizza at the Dukes

Shah Jahan

Pepperoni is always pork, good salami is beef. Salami can be aged at room temp in some regions. Both can be cut an infinite number of ways. Salami is leaner.

Simple question..not really scandalous, unless we are calling hot dogs "sausages." In fact, isn't that Pizza Co pepperoni a lot like sliced hot dogs?

Edited by Thighlander

Why ask us, why not ask The Dukes!

Perhaps a Thai might answer.

Is the pepperoni pizza made with salami?

Yes.

Or pepperoni?

Yes.

That Thai would be correct since Pepperoni is a variety of Salami.

• Like 1

yeah, I noticed the same thing Chicog. Pepperoni uses fake casing and Salami is rel intestine. So, I think there are many similarities, but if you were in a cafe in Southern Italy; you would have salami with your wine and cheese. If you were in Detroit with couple of brothas; the Dominoes man would bring you a pizza with pepperoni, because they don't sell salami. San Francisco is famous for salami, because it can be aged without artificial cooling or heating. I think you're going to get more lips and dicks in the pepperoni.

thanks guys. I read that it had closed, and couldn't locate it. Facebook and Google Earth both gave different locations.

closed? i think business is booming. i see the drivers everywhere. they must have a huge staff.

I think what the OP is referring to is American style pepperoni which is a mixture of beef and pork and has a fair amount of chili pepper in it. There is also available here pepperoni made by TGF which tastes more like a traditional salami as it is all pork. Not sure if there is even such a thing as pepperoni in Italy.

I think what the OP is referring to is American style pepperoni which is a mixture of beef and pork and has a fair amount of chili pepper in it. There is also available here pepperoni made by TGF which tastes more like a traditional salami as it is all pork. Not sure if there is even such a thing as pepperoni in Italy.

yes, probably correct. Im reffering to "american peppeorini" I guess, as it is on 95% of all pizzas you get in America. Whatever else is defined as "pepperoni" is not what I am reffering to.

Now this being thailand I wouldn't actually expect any place that says "pepperoni" to actually be pepperroni, but seeing that the dukes

is the dukes and there is an (amercain) duke behind it who states that he loves to eat, I would think that "pepperorini" means "pepperoni" not something else. . .

so. . I guess we will call it salami and continue our quest

(side question: anywhere in CM serve a real "amercain pepperoni" pizza?)

If you ask for a pizza with peperoni in Italy you will get a pizza with red peppers on it. (Note the absence of the third 'p'.) A spicy salami is about as close to American style pepperoni as one will find in an Italian pizzeria.

yes, probably correct. Im reffering to "american peppeorini" I guess, as it is on 95% of all pizzas you get in America. Whatever else is defined as "pepperoni" is not what I am reffering to.

Now this being thailand I wouldn't actually expect any place that says "pepperoni" to actually be pepperroni, but seeing that the dukes

is the dukes and there is an (amercain) duke behind it who states that he loves to eat, I would think that "pepperorini" means "pepperoni" not something else. . .

so. . I guess we will call it salami and continue our quest

(side question: anywhere in CM serve a real "amercain pepperoni" pizza?)

95%? less than 50%, actually. The only places I've heard of where you wouldn't have a choice, would be elementary schools and prisons.

Edited by Thighlander

Many Thais don't eat beef.

In the not too distant past, many grew up around water buffaloes. They contributed to the cultivation of rice. Rice is sacred for many Thais.

Never heard such unmittigated rot in my life. Yes a great number if Thais do not eat beef, but nothing to do with rice and buffaloes. Many have a genetic allergy to beef products, and it results in a nasty rash, usually on the arms and shoulders.

edit:- No wonder you used to get up "Blinkey Bill's" nose!

Edited by Maejo Man
  • Like 1

In the not too distant past, many grew up around water buffaloes. They contributed to the cultivation of rice. Rice is sacred for many Thais.

Never heard such unmittigated rot in my life. Yes a great number if Thais do not eat beef, but nothing to do with rice and buffaloes. Many have a genetic allergy to beef products, and it results in a nasty rash, usually on the arms and shoulders.

Went to this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3563019/ of asian food allergies and no mention at all was made of allergies to beef. If you want to hear unmitigated rot, just pay attention to what you say..

The Thai people I know who won't eat beef - and there are lots - complain that beef has too strong a flavor and odor.

Oh dear biggrin.png

• Like 1

If you ask for a pizza with peperoni in Italy you will get a pizza with red peppers on it. (Note the absence of the third 'p'.) A spicy salami is about as close to American style pepperoni as one will find in an Italian pizzeria.

Ahh. but the Dukes is not an Italian Pizzeria. . it is an "amercain" place

Love the pepperoni they use at Mr. Chan's. Definitely my favorite pepperoni I've had anywhere.

Hmm.. would you consider it comprable to "amercain pepperorini"

Baseline defintion for the internet sleuths and euros for amercain pepperonoi is same same you get at dominos. . :-)

I don't care what's in dukes pepperoni....its an excellent pizza!

Agreed, We like the Greek pizza very much, but sometimes you want a pepperoni amercain style

and need to know where to look. .

A popular brand of pepperoni in USA is Hormel pepperoni. Great taste! Tried to get Rimping to import, but no luck, so I often bring a couple of sticks myself and add to a take-out pizza to eat at home. Could never find "real" USA pepperoni in Chiang Mai. Thai-German pepperoni just isn't same - it's salami (ugghhhh!