Building in Pattaya

inwardglee

I know there have been earlier threads on the topic. Yet they cannot be used to get a clue …

First of all: I warn of naively getting into construction here. I did, and was hammered over months, and got frustrated to the point that I got a depression from the experience. I had a Pattaya builder, one that was even recommended much by the Juristic Manager of my place. And one that shows off two big outlets on Thepasit Road that inspire trust.

From the start of the building, I saw messy and sloppy work … though I had made it clear to the builder that I was opting for high standards. Any complaints were opposed by tricks, and at times I thought the builders were sadists to get me down. As I was short of time to move into the place, I was unflexible to change them, anyway having paid them always beforehand. I can say: they used every trick to keep me with them. In cunningness definetly they are unbeatable, but in standards they were about on the level of the public electricity lines along the roads.

I want to issue a warning here. Do not trust! Even if a recommendation comes from someone trusted, do not trust.

And here is what I would do differently:

a) If taking a Pattaya company, go for one that has had large portfolios that they are willing to show, and also get connected to ex-clients.

cool.png Describe in the contract the building standard you are opting for. Do not leave it unmentioned.

c) Have the company garantee these insurances: the time for finishing the construction must be insured, and also failed quality.

d) Do not get intimidated in the process of doing the contract. If the builder makes you feel being slow, and too detailed, change him immediately.

e) Do not get into a builder, because he or she looks a bit cheaper. It will cost more in the end.

f) There are falang managed companies here. More expensive by a bit only, and more reliable I guess. Dealing with falang will be easier …

g) There are Bangkok companies that are professional. I would think over this option sincerely. In the end I doubt whether ANY Pattaya company is able to deliver work as people of falang background expect it. (One Thai company of Pattaya that delivered me excellent teak furniture told me, there is NO good Pattaya construction company, they are all from Bangkok …)

Beware!

post-215478-0-60731600-1405848357_thumb.

Oh, and one more thing: Do as first thing only a minimal start, for example the ceiling and the aircon. Then you will see how they do this, and you will only be charged for this. Paying the same percentage for this beforehand … that will not hurt. Add up bit by bit to them … I know it will get much lengthier, but easier for you. As soon as they have many items, you lose control, and at the same time become their victim. For them a laugh, for you a nightmare.

Do go to a renting place taking your time. Do your place bit by bit.

• Like 1

Nice informative thread,but then it's the same all over thailand your a farang and yes they will fob you off,dont ask a manager get to know a few friends and ask them for info of who to trust, thats the best and trusted way.smile.png

• Like 1

@ Britt_Doogie: And then who is the trusted friends? Who is a) a friend and then B) trusted c) in Pattaya?

I don't know any. Where to meet friends here? In the beer and gogo bars? On facebook? i see they are all in a peculiar problem.

I see lots of people here, as for aliens "as we Non-Thais are named on official Thai-papers are named …".

And yes, I feel as an alien here, for the contact here to Thai people, which only exists for some giving of money.

Beyond that, there is no contact beyond the regular smiles that are compulsary. More a grimace than a smile.

Anyone will know as soon as having been tricked by the smile.

And as for the "aliens" here? Also not easy to find a reliable one … I don't know any.

So the alien here is feeling being in an empty space. Just naming my own condition.

Easy solution.. don't buy anything off plan / not in the condition that you are ready to accept and move in. As soon as any construction / amendment is needed, you have to be onsite all times you have workers on premise, otherwise they DO take the shortcuts you described.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You forgot:

h) Check everything yourself, down to the last screw.

i) Never pay for more than the work that has already been done.

As for your (f), farang-run companies can be every bit as bent, crooked, dishonest and incompetent as the Thai-run ones. Probably more so actually, and they are frequently much more expensive. (Someone has to pay for that farang manager who does nothing practical, apart from polish his sports car.)

Edited by KittenKong

Dear inwardglee,

I'd like to disagree with your point "f".

There is no way in hell I will hire a farang run contractor in pattaya ever

again. Every single time, the sweat talking shits have screwed me over. Most

of them, just hire some cheap thai subcontractors, who do a shitty job and

do not answer to you.

I have much better luck dealing with Thais, as you can always negotiate with

them if you keep your cool as they are messing things up (learn Thai or have

a *cool hearted* girl friend interact with them).

I have dealt with farang companies from the US to Europe, and every single

one (farang biz) in the construction business is a rip off. Most guys have

started construction after they came to Thailand, but will try to convince

you they know something about it. They are clueless and you will pay for

their mistakes.

BTW, I do speak a bit of thai ...

luudee