returning to Thailand after being deported 2 ago for lost passport

IDC budget had been cut by 50% and the USA embassy supplies most of the aid for medicine and other needs to all foreigners medical supplies and writing materials and stamped letters and money for food to IDC as well as counseling to ALL...!!!!

and it was a Brit who stole my passport lap top and cash &Credit cards and also a Brit girlfriend that turned me in, the girlfriend followed me to the states and now is in Immigration jail waiting to be deported from America ,,talk about KARMA

yes it is tricky times for all foreigners now days and I just want to do the right thing

I want to come back to sort all my thing out that I have in storage and donate a lot of things to Charity and start fresh there, I was not doing bad things there I owned a restaurant

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well herein lies the problem with Thailand. Firstly if your passport is stolen and you have reported it and applied immediately and in due time for a new one why deport the victim? If it is an issue with Thai law then why are the Embassies not helping their citizens avoid this by issuing temporary documents to allow you to do whatever necessary as if you had a passport until a new one can be issued? Lastly no one ever seems to really know what is going on here nor what the law really means because the interpretation is at the whim of the judge there being no real principle of precedent. It is a mess

"Well herein lies the problem with Thailand."

Herein lies the problem, you seem to be rushing to put the blame on Thailand or the nanny state embassies when the problem was clearly with the individual who was negligent. Possibly you need to understand that just because some farang posts something on TV and crafts his message in such a way as to suggest that he is the victim, or potential victim, of Immigrations or the judicial system, it doesn't mean that he has told the entire story or that everything he has said is the absolute truth, nothing but the truth and the whole truth.

It seems a large part of the supposedly onerous crackdown is because some people are doing things that most rational people would understand are illegal but either through inertia or a false sense of entitlement they choose to do nothing to put right until they are caught or likely to be.

Maybe if some people wake up and act like informed adults rather than feckless, petulant children there wouldn't be a need for Immigrations and the police to treat so many foreigners as though they were all trying on some sort of scam.

I overstayed 1 year after my passport was stolen then girlfriend turn me in to police then I went to court and paid my fine 750 ThB and judge told me to just get new passport and new visa and I was fine to stay.. immigration police were supposed to take me to my Embassy but instead took me to IDC and I met my embassy people there and arranged new passport and ticket home from there

This gives a whole new dimension to your story. You did not overstay due to your lost passport and by no stretch of imagination will any authority accept this. You overstayed for a year and were apprehended after the girlfriend ratted you out to police. Is that what you are saying? If you reported immediately after your passport was stolen and applied for a new or temporary travel documents from your embassy, this would not have happened.

"This gives a whole new dimension to your story."

Yes, it appears the rush to judgment by the usual cabal of Thai bashers is once again premature and unsubstantiated.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Ben - you've gone about as far as you can go on this thread. The bottom line is that nobody can give you a definitive answer. The immigration officer at the PoI will decide based upon whatever case history he brings up on his computer. Your demeanour and answers to his questions, should he ask any, will also influence him, so you should decide how to dress, to behave and what story to tell. As others have said, now is not a good time to try circumventing the system, so keep it straight, keep it legal and keep it simple is the best advice I have for you.

• Like 1

IDC budget had been cut by 50% and the USA embassy supplies most of the aid for medicine and other needs to all foreigners medical supplies and writing materials and stamped letters and money for food to IDC as well as counseling to ALL...!!!!

and it was a Brit who stole my passport lap top and cash &Credit cards and also a Brit girlfriend that turned me in, the girlfriend followed me to the states and now is in Immigration jail waiting to be deported from America ,,talk about KARMA

yes it is tricky times for all foreigners now days and I just want to do the right thing

I want to come back to sort all my thing out that I have in storage and donate a lot of things to Charity and start fresh there, I was not doing bad things there I owned a restaurant

Hilarious.

Why not get a flight to cambodia or malaysia etc & have a bit of a holiday there then try to get flight into thailand & you wont be wasting £100's on a flight that you could be sent straight back home on. i regularly fly to KUL then into thailand. (did the F1 at Sepang last year) then onto Krabi & the flight to there was about £30.

Id rather be sent back to somewhere near than all the way back to the UK.

Also I would guess the officers there wont be as keen as in BKK.

Edited by cookie1003
  • Like 1

Man, you live a interesting life. Everytime you post it gets better. Please don't stop, I hate it when a I can not read the finish of a story.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Similar thing for me, just over a year overstay. Won't BS or even tell the story because what's important are the facts as pertains to this situation now. My passport has a stamp to show overstay, but I'm not blacklisted. Happy with that. I had the British Embassy call and arrange my going down there to pay the fine (11k something) and be taken to the court to do paperwork and then to airport to fly back. Was at IDC for a bit but didn't have to stay there as I wasn't apprehended, I turned myself in. They were friendly and kind in the offices near there where it was mostly processed. There were very few questions asked until I was in the waiting area with the immigration police down in the guts of Suvarnabhumi (it's a crazy maze of narrow tunnels down there!). I'm supposed to be fine to go back to Thailand, but as someone said a little earlier, it's awful timing to be going back right now, even if I do have a multiple entry non-O visa in my passport. On balance I think I should be ok, but I expect a bit of extra scrutiny and I will be sweating it until I go through (already am not sleeping too well). Fingers and toes will be crossed!

People get into trouble with their visas sometimes. And I usually try to defend them here. But you're a disaster case. You overstayed a year, and tried to get out of it by saying you just 'didn't have a passport' (that alone is idiotic). Then you had a domestic dispute with a woman, and were arrested. Then you went to court, and were arrested again and went to jail. Then Thailand DEPORTED you. You didn't have an 'overstay once', you were DEPORTED.

You can try to tell dumb stories on a visa forum about all this, but this is all going to come up instantly when they swipe your passport. There is a massive crackdown in immigration at this time. You would be a fool - which you clearly are already - to try to bring that walking disaster back here at this time. Seriously - you should stay away.

Edited by John1thru10

People told me to get a new passport but I've kept the one I had with the deportation stamp in it. I didn't want to try to hide it. I'm not supposed to be blacklisted, so why hide? I figure immigration has my deportation for overstay in their computer so a new passport wouldn't make a difference. The British Embassy, who obviously spoke to Thai immigration in facilitating my deportation, said I should be fine. The Thai Embassy in London said I should be fine. That was before all of this recent stuff though, which definitely throws more than a little doubt in there.

People told me to get a new passport but I've kept the one I had with the deportation stamp in it. I didn't want to try to hide it. I'm not supposed to be blacklisted, so why hide? I figure immigration has my deportation for overstay in their computer so a new passport wouldn't make a difference. The British Embassy, who obviously spoke to Thai immigration in facilitating my deportation, said I should be fine. The Thai Embassy in London said I should be fine. That was before all of this recent stuff though, which definitely throws more than a little doubt in there.

I was given a very hard time for having once overstayed 2 months, years ago. That was 'no problem' before, too. This crackdown is very serious. You've been deported before, new passport (new or not). You should look into somewhere else instead, seriously.

Edited by John1thru10

I was given a very hard time for having once overstayed 2 months, years ago. That was 'no problem' before, too. This crackdown is very serious. You've been deported before, new passport (new or not). You should look into somewhere else instead, seriously.

There's no looking somewhere else if your wife and her family are in Thailand and you wish to stay with them. I have nothing to lose in my situation. I just hope I can get through, and I expect recent changes to have made that trickier. Possibly I won't get in, but there's no benefit for me to not try. I've been away over 18 months and it's time to go back. Fingers crossed I can because it will be tough if I have to return here and spend more time apart from my wife before I can return, but we'll just have to see what happens. Wish I'd booked my flight for June though. Instead I arrive in Thailand on the 13th of August. Nightmare lol.

Edited by fauxie

These are just the sort of people who screw up things for the rest of us. A year's overstay following the loss of a passport! I lost my passport the day I arrived in Thailand (actually, I think I was "dipped"), went straight to the police to report its loss, applied immediately for a new passport at the British Embassy in Bangkok and had absolutely no problems remaining in the country until this was issued.

It's the same story with visas - the people who have abusing the system for years, using a tourist visa as a residential visa, are now bleating because the Thais are simply enforcing rules which have been in place for yonks.

If you don't want to play the game by the rules, then don't bother coming here and making life difficult for those of us who are happy to do so.

Well my friend got deported for a 2 year overstay a fee months back.. After 3 weeks being back home,he went to the Thai embassy in the UK to get a tourist visa and was issued one.. He had no problems coming back in.

That's my 2 cents folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There's no looking somewhere else if your wife and her family are in Thailand and you wish to stay with them. I have nothing to lose in my situation. I just hope I can get through, and I expect recent changes to have made that trickier. Possibly I won't get in, but there's no benefit for me to not try. I've been away over 18 months and it's time to go back. Fingers crossed I can because it will be tough if I have to return here and spend more time apart from my wife before I can return, but we'll just have to see what happens. Wish I'd booked my flight for June though. Instead I arrive in Thailand on the 13th of August. Nightmare lol.

Well, your quote about 'Why should I hide it? My embassy said it's fine.' - no offense. What your embassy told you isn't gonna mean squat in front of that immigration desk. If you're serious about it, at least get a new passport before you try. The crackdown is more intesne than you can imagine, if you haven't been here for a while. It's SO different now - no more land crossing, people with new visas being stranded at borders not allowed in, calling people with a few in/outs 'criminals'. If it's honestly about your family, then you do have something to lose.

Edited by John1thru10

Well, your quote about 'Why should I hide it? My embassy said it's fine.' - no offense. What your embassy told you isn't gonna mean squat in front of that immigration desk. If you're serious about it, at least get a new passport before you try. The crackdown is more intesne than you can imagine, if you haven't been here for a while. It's SO different now - no more land crossing, people with new visas being stranded at borders not allowed in, calling people with a few in/outs 'criminals'. If it's honestly about your family, then you do have something to lose.

Please don't misunderstand. I wasn't being glib or arrogant by that 'why hide it?', I was trying to be humble and honest. I don't wish to sneak in any way or break any rules, is my point, which is precisely why I didn't get a new passport. I don't presume to pull the wool over anyone's eyes or try to be smart. I take responsibility. I'm not naive about how these things work. I just hope I can make it in. I've done everything correctly, I've got my non-O visa, and I hope I will soon be able to see my wife and her family. I will not be swaggering up to passport control. I'll be polite and respectful, as I believe I typically am in Thailand (and elsewhere, let's hope!). As I said, I hope they let me come and spend some time with my family in Thailand.

• Like 1

If it's honestly about your family, then you do have something to lose.

Going somewhere else is as good as staying here and going nowhere, isn't it. I have to try. If I get turned away I have lost nothing more than if I just stayed here in the UK. I will be there again, but it's about when. It's tough to be patient and strong. I hope it's next month that I can go and see everyone. If not, I have to be patient and strong for longer.

If it's honestly about your family, then you do have something to lose.

Going somewhere else is as good as staying here and going nowhere, isn't it. I have to try. If I get turned away I have lost nothing more than if I just stayed here in the UK. I will be there again, but it's about when. It's tough to be patient and strong. I hope it's next month that I can go and see everyone. If not, I have to be patient and strong for longer.

I understand. I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on you. I'm just saying, a fresh passport 'might' help thing go smooth. Or, it might be fine just as it is, too. It's a strange time right now, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency. I was advised to get a renewed passport recently, because I have a lot of old tourist visas and stuff, which they don't like seeing - even though they're from years ago. I wish you the best of luck!! smile.png

Edited by John1thru10

Well herein lies the problem with Thailand. Firstly if your passport is stolen and you have reported it and applied immediately and in due time for a new one why deport the victim? If it is an issue with Thai law then why are the Embassies not helping their citizens avoid this by issuing temporary documents to allow you to do whatever necessary as if you had a passport until a new one can be issued? Lastly no one ever seems to really know what is going on here nor what the law really means because the interpretation is at the whim of the judge there being no real principle of precedent. It is a mess

This is the real problem here in Thailand,,,,,There is no set rule for anything,,,,,any immigration office and officer has got a rough guide and from there on they add there own rules,,,You are never 100% sure, only ask at your local immigration office don't listen to anyone,,,If you want to come back to LOS after overstay/deportation get an agency in your country whom guarntees your Visa after you give them all your details including overstay/deportation !

• Like 1

Perhaps you could ask the question to the embassy where you got your visa.

All the supporting documents that you provided to get your visa is faxed to Bangkok.

You could ask if that is a one or two way communication between the embassy and Bangkok, If it is two ways, it would mean that you were cleared for a visa issuance...

I am amazed at how judgmental people on TV can be. So the OP messed up. He wants to come back. Why proselytise?

My suggestion to OP would be to apply for the visa in your home country, not to attempt a visa-exempt entry when you land. Hopefully, if they are going to knock you back it will be before you leave your home country. And if you arrive with a valid visa, then Immigration may not get too worried about any notes that may - or may not - exist in their computer. I know of someone who was deported only 2-3 years ago and who now travels back and forth between Thailand and home without any problems at all.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ben;

In your shoes I would speak to the local Thai Embassy/consulate while requesting a visa - perhaps they have access to the Thai immigration database. Google Royal Thai Embassy to find your local consulate/embassy.

There is no way of knowing what will happen when you arrive at immigration in Thailand. Dress properly, be polite, if asked about the "deportation", admit you made a mistake.

I personally would risk visiting if I had a proper tourist visa issued by a Thai Consulate or Embassy. Based on your story I would NOT risk arriving at immigration expecting to receive a "30 day permission to stay stamp".

Good luck.

• Like 1

All this is why I hope, with my multiple non-O visa in passport already, and hopefully suitably pleasant demeanour, I should be let in to spend some time with my wife and family. It'll be very tough on everyone if I get turned away. I have to accept it's a possibility though.

It's weird how everything's pages apart in my passport too. When they stamped the deportation thing in there they went 3 or 4 pages ahead from the last non-O. Then when London gave me my new multiple non-O visa they went a couple more pages ahead of that. I have 5 or 6 blank pages there in amongst all this. Why do they do that?

Do what a few well-placed teachers have done after being deported.

Go home, take a load of cash to marry an illegal immigrant,thereby making her legal. Then, take her name, change your surname to hers, change your passport accordingly, and come back to your old job.

Easy really, and not a rare occurence.

I overstayed 1 year after my passport was stolen then girlfriend turn me in to police then I went to court and paid my fine 750 ThB and judge told me to just get new passport and new visa and I was fine to stay.. immigration police were supposed to take me to my Embassy but instead took me to IDC and I met my embassy people there and arranged new passport and ticket home from there

was it a malicious act your girlfriend turning you in or a gentle helping hand? Yes my friends brother turned himself in and was kept in IDC for 3 months until he had money for airfare. Never turn yourself in. It does not always work out sweetly.

Just as a note, there are some countries where the embassy will organize repatriation, ie pay the airfare, for their citizens. Usually with the requirement and lien to refund once home.

• Like 1

I guess this may not sound very helpful, but how about meeting wife and family first in a neighbouring country. Thais should have no problem getting a passport and usually don't need visa there, if finances allow. Then consider entry in BKK. I know there will be many tears if you cannot pass.

Be sure to ask for non-O/marriage visa. you will need the marriage certificate and signed copy of your wife's ID (ask consulate for full list).

edited to strike last paragraph after catching up with the thread

Edited by RTH10260

This is the real problem here in Thailand,,,,,There is no set rule for anything,,,,,any immigration office and officer has got a rough guide and from there on they add there own rules,,,You are never 100% sure,

you obviously have never travelled much, the "real problem" you atrribute to Thailand, is the same as any country as regards immigration officers, as they are allowed quite broad discretionary powers as to whom they allow into a country, so please stop trying to infer this only occurs in Thailand.

I am amazed at how judgmental people on TV can be. So the OP messed up. He wants to come back. Why proselytise?

I think people became judgement on this thread, about the same time the OP tried to blame his 12 month overstay on a stolen PP...wink.png

Yes he messed up and was looking for advice, whic hone suspects he would have got if he hadnt played the "blame game" and made excuses about stolen/lost PP's

• Like 2