Four Killed, 64 Injured In Passenger Bus Pileup

george

Four killed, 64 injured in passenger bus pileup

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Four people were killed and 64 other were severely injured in a pileup of three passenger bus and a pick-up truck.

Pol Maj Paiboon Kiangsungnoen of Tambon Klongphai police station in Nakhon Ratchasima's Si Khiew district said the accident happened at 1:50 am on Mittraparp Road in the district.

Paiboon said the Highway Department closed the left lane at the scene of the accident for repair but no light sign was put up. Officials only parked their pick-up truck and put up a small sign in front of the truck.

Paiboon said the two bus were full with passengers and had left Bangkok for Khon Kaen and Roi Et while another bus was an empty bus heading to Mahasarakham to pick up students.

He said the Bangkok-Khon Kaen bus collided into the rear of the pick-up truck and the empty collided into the Khon Kaen Bus and the Roi Et bus collided into the rear of the empty bus nearly at the same time.

The police officer said three passengers died at the scene and another died at a hospital.

He said 47 injured people were rushed to Si Khiew Hospital, 8 to Soongnoen Hospital and nine to Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital.

--The Nation 2006-06-30

Talk about senesless. The stupidity is unbelieveable. Another accident that didn't have to happen. It's the third accident with multiple fatalities in a week that made it into the news (how many didnt?). And probably nothing will happen to the moron who set up the "safety" procedures on the construction site. With all the talk about farnags at risk from crime in other topics, I worry much more about my well being when I'm on the road than walking around or sitting a bar / club.

Too right. How many times do we all see advance warning, day or night, of major roadworks? The answer's probably most of the time, but there just isn't enough of them.

Coming over the brow of a hill at 160kph, overtaking on the inside and getting visual warning 400mts ahead of a lane closed is just not enough.

Admittedly, noone should be doing 160kph and overtaking on the inside on the brow of a hill, but try telling that to the Thais.

In the UK, last time I was there, there were warnings 3 miles out.

Let alone the beakdowns who think they're being socially responsible by breaking a twig off a tree and laying it down on the hard shoulder 10mt behind the accident.

Too late.