Pattaya Beach to be reorganized

Rimmer

Really, they want to clean Pattaya Beach up?  That's the first I've heard of this...  They are full of it!  How many times have you heard the same story?  You know, when you drive down North Pattaya Road to the beach, you get such a beautiful view and what a great feeling to have entered the beach area.  You see the Parasailers, the jet skiis moving along the water and what a great feeling, then you begin to to see all the bad about how they run the area.

My wife and I were in Rio not too long ago and how they have their beaches could really work here in Pattaya.  First of all, it was a good idea to widen the street, but where they went wrong, is the extra lane should have been sectioned off from the rest of the street by some border to allow people to utilize it for biking, roller blading or skating and jogging.  That would make the beach so much nicer and more enjoyable.  Howabout putting in a section of children's playgrounds and spread out along the whole beach side water fountains; cleaner looking and more trash bins; police on bicycles and walking up and down the stretch in shorts and short sleeve shirts; allowing ice cream and smart looking food stands along the sidewalk area etc...  At night, put in more lights and allow the food stands and some VW Wagoon looking bars with music to enjoy...you put in more lights and allow the police to continue strolling the area would clean up all prostitution there.  Pattaya will never be rid of this, but it can be organized and cleaned up a bit.

They talk but never do anything.

How many of you enjoy the events when they close down the street for a festival or something?  I do very much, but then it goes back to what it is and has always been.

I know that eventually they will do something, but when?  Could this be it?  Who knows, but I really doubt it.

• Like 2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the photo of all those Navy Boys with riffles, looks like they are "using a sledge hammer to crack a nut".

As for the umbrellas encroaching on the beach, wait until the next big holiday and calculate just what is the maximum usage, I would estimate even on a busy day most are never used.

The simple answer is only 50% of the beach given over to commercial use, and that should only be the strip between the promenaded and halfway to the high water mark, allow one umbrella per 4x4M2  and charge the operators a licence fee per umbrella which goes to funding the cleaning of the beach.

Other commercial operations should also be regulated to ensure they they use minimal amount of the beach in the appropriate areas.  

I like it. Also I appreciate the very occasional positive and bright ideas expressed on this page. Far more interesting than the daily diet of negative reactionary crap we are fed by many posters.

I love the headline: The beach is going to be moved to second road and Walking Street will be moved to Jomtiem, Royal Garden and Central Plaza will be moved to Goh Larn, that should just about do it!

clean up police pattaya too please specially soi 9....them no good, only interesting take our money.

i thinkfor beach good idea to do that ...clear beach , police , drugs trafic and pattaya can be more nice :-)

That was the 1st thing that happened.  The night the coup took over soi 9 was closed, reopened the next day with a new colonel.

• Like 1

Looking at the photo of all those Navy Boys with riffles, looks like they are "using a sledge hammer to crack a nut".

As for the umbrellas encroaching on the beach, wait until the next big holiday and calculate just what is the maximum usage, I would estimate even on a busy day most are never used.

The simple answer is only 50% of the beach given over to commercial use, and that should only be the strip between the promenaded and halfway to the high water mark, allow one umbrella per 4x4M2  and charge the operators a licence fee per umbrella which goes to funding the cleaning of the beach.

Other commercial operations should also be regulated to ensure they they use minimal amount of the beach in the appropriate areas.  

Most likely the Navy Boys with rifles are there to remind mafia types that this is not business as usual,armed soldiers are always a bit intimidating ..Lol

• Like 1

This is something that is needed.  I am sick of this place going downhill under the influence of "corruption."  As an aside, while tackling corruption and the mafia, please get  rid of all of the boom/music trucks and arrest their drivers.    If you need any assistance, I will volunteer to drive a tank over the top of every boom truck on the beach. 

• Like 1

what's wrong with beach chairs, umbrellas, cold drinks and snacks being served, if they are not overpriced and reasonable quality? People making living of the tourists there are not mafia

the biggest problem of pattaya beach is poor quality of water, with an urban waste being pumped without being treated strait into the sea for the last 40 years. A more difficult task, than kicking out traders

It would not hurt to question who has the umbrella concessions, why, and how they got them. Who is being paid? Do they have authority? What percent of this money is going to the city? How many millionaires are involved? We are talking about thousands of umbrellas at what, 60 to 100 baht per day each?

Spidermike007
  • Like 1

The quality of the water in Pattaya is so bad you should not even think of swimming in the sea. The sewage outfalls are the problem and this should be the first priority to attract people back to the beach. And yes, the beaches are overrun by vendors but that's not going to change.
FYI at Dongtan Beach , many of the franchisees use boys from Myanmar because they can get away with paying them a mere bht200 a day! So who is exploiting who?

There are many nay sayers, said been talked about before, but there is a new sheriff in town. I hope they stay in power for at least 2 years to clean up all over (btw is this 'clean up" or 'reorganize"?). Bar owners on beach side should run off to UN and try to get "World Heritage" status. If they limited umbrella mafias etc then I say let them keep the bars (use money for water treatment and beach cleanup?). Hate it or love it, walking street is a major draw here. Look at bus loads of North Asian tourists following around guide with little yellow flag on a stick.

• Like 1

Pattaya City is the best place on God's good, green Earth. A man's city, where you can drink a beer for breakfast and scratch your balls while doing so, without a bitchy wife bitching at you. It should be preserved as just what it is, left unchanged through eterntity. If ever a locale was worth of World Heritage Listing, it is Pattaya.

• Like 2

Pattaya City is the best place on God's good, green Earth. A man's city, where you can drink a beer for breakfast and scratch your balls while doing so, without a bitchy wife bitching at you. It should be preserved as just what it is, left unchanged through eterntity. If ever a locale was worth of World Heritage Listing, it is Pattaya.

If you have issues scratching your ball under your alcohol breakfast without your bitchy wife bitching at you, i think you have bigger issues than being concerned about the beach cleanup. Just the fact that you want to leave things as they are, tells a bit about either how ignorant someone can be, or how much you actually care as long as long as you can scratch those balls while getting sh*t-faced. I am very pleased about this cleanup, and i hope that next there will be a ball-scratching cleanup too, because that might make quality tourists consider coming back.

While many men does see Pattaya as heaven on earth, it's at the same time one of the worst places Thailand has to offer. I don't want to stereotype people, but the kind of tourism Pattaya does attract is not really the tourists that majority of Thai prefer.

Anyway, go back to your ball scratching and enjoy while it last!

I Have read somewhere that the main concern for pattaya beach was the illegal overhanging extension of buildings,which have encroached the beach by unscrupulous venues along walking street.

Needless to say not only are they an eyesore but potentially dangerous,sorry but i had to giggle there forgot i was in thailand...

As for the beach traders and so forth the case will be move along son and come back when my back is turned,or maybe a on the spot fine as i have seen regularly where i frequent,these traders pay the fine then carry on regardless in extreme cases they are told to move on but back the very next day, to compensate for the loss of 400 baht.

So it's a stalemate result, i can see happening here.facepalm.gif

Your "eyesore" is another's paradise.

I hope they don't touch Walking St- spent many,many happy hours there.

If they want to clean up something, they could start with the speedboats that have ruined the walkway from Bali Hi to the lighthouse. Then they could restore the walkway around the promentory on the north end of the beach.

• Like 1

I for one salute the authorities currently cleaning up a lot of mess. 

i hope they will continue for months and years to come !  

And get rid of those police mafia thugs !

(maybe the highest ranked of them will fly to Paris these days...   whistling.gif whistling.gif  )

• Like 1

I for one salute the authorities currently cleaning up a lot of mess. 

i hope they will continue for months and years to come !  

And get rid of those police mafia thugs !

(maybe the highest ranked of them will fly to Paris these days...   whistling.gif whistling.gif  )

Me too, and i actually think that we are talking about 5 years or so, for things to start to stick.

It's far from first time Thailand for a military coup, and seems like it wont help calling for election again too soon.

Again, all we can do is wait and see and hope for the best, because the majority of thai people are beautiful people who deserves better leaders.

• Like 1

typicle behaviour....oportunists..and they see every oportunity, and sqeeze it to death...give them an inch and they spread like a weed,call a cop and they fold like a cheap suit..

what's wrong with beach chairs, umbrellas, cold drinks and snacks being served, if they are not overpriced and reasonable quality? People making living of the tourists there are not mafia

the biggest problem of pattaya beach is poor quality of water, with an urban waste being pumped without being treated strait into the sea for the last 40 years. A more difficult task, than kicking out traders

agree its nice

but these people all have to pay someone to set up on the beach

it doesnt go to city hall either

Water pollution = to hard basket

stop the jet skies, boats, floating restaurants = maybe clean up a little

• Like 2

I hope they check out the over priced food stalls and vendors in Kho Larn also

Over-priced? Have you ever run a restaurant? Do you know what it cost them to get their supplies to the island? Just think how much it costs for cooking water and ice. Koh Larn is the cheapest place, taking cost into consideration, that you can find anywhere to eat in the world. Pack a lunch if it bothers you, but don't slam these people who work for so little.

yes they said the motorcycle taxi's were going to get cracked down and nothing happened there.. what makes you think this is going to be any different

Hey, they now have green vests! Now that's progress!

its actually a little more progressive then that, they also have to wear shoes, trousers and long sleeved shirts now as well

And the benefit to the consumer from that is.....?

Proper helmet checks with rule breakers carted off to the station for the day would be higher on my priority list. But whatever floats your/their boat