Just found my contract is not being renewed......what becomes of Non-B Visa

Ouch! I just want to say that I feel for you man. I can understand the thought process after just spending 10 years here and then having 7 days to leave. That would be a hard pill to swallow for me. Good luck. Hopefully you can find another job soon and hold on to your things and more importantly, the life you built!

Isn't it nice of the authorities, if you lose/quit your job you have to leave the day it finishes!

Or front up to immig and have the privilege of paying 1900bht to stay for a whole 7 days.

Its such a pleasant way to be treated after you've served the community/country.

Your finished, get out!

• Like 1

Isn't it nice of the authorities, if you lose/quit your job you have to leave the day it finishes!

Or front up to immig and have the privilege of paying 1900bht to stay for a whole 7 days.

Its such a pleasant way to be treated after you've served the community/country.

Your finished, get out!

That's nothing. Exact same treatment if one is widowed when staying for reason of marriage and left with no kids.

Your finished, get out!

That's nothing. Exact same treatment if one is widowed when staying for reason of marriage and left with no kids.

I have would think if one was married, one must be either working or retired. Under either circumstance, there are visas, with long-stay extensions, for those circumstances. For the under-50 Zukerberg crowd, there is the PE visa...so no one is turfed out.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You appear to have an extension of say based upon teaching from immigration not a visa. You mention doing 90 day reports (they renew nothing) which you would not be doing if you had a visa.

Your extension of stay ends when your job ends meaning you must leave the country or apply for a 7 day extension when you cancel your extension. The school should give you.a letter stating the date your ends and you need to on that date or shortly before.

You or your school also need to cancel your workpemit.

OP, I have read the rest of the posts in the thread, sorry to hear about your predicament. Just to emphasize what Joe said above reference the letter from the school and cancelling the work permit.

You need to speak with the school and explain your situation about having to leave (or get the 7 day extension) to find out what date they will give to stop your employment. This is necessary before you find yourself in an overstay situation which will only add to your misfortune.

You don't want to find that they have already stopped your contract. That said, they should be responsible for giving you adequate notice before ending your employment. Check your contract.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your situation. At worst you could go back to your country. Or outside Thailand and apply for a tourist visa. You'll get more time than 7 days to sort yourself out.

Hopefully find a new school /job.

Others should take note of this situation.

Good luck mate

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You appear to have an extension of say based upon teaching from immigration not a visa. You mention doing 90 day reports (they renew nothing) which you would not be doing if you had a visa.

Your extension of stay ends when your job ends meaning you must leave the country or apply for a 7 day extension when you cancel your extension. The school should give you.a letter stating the date your ends and you need to on that date or shortly before.

You or your school also need to cancel your workpemit.

OP, I have read the rest of the posts in the thread, sorry to hear about your predicament. Just to emphasize what Joe said above reference the letter from the school and cancelling the work permit.

You need to speak with the school and explain your situation about having to leave (or get the 7 day extension) to find out what date they will give to stop your employment. This is necessary before you find yourself in an overstay situation which will only add to your misfortune.

You don't want to find that they have already stopped your contract. That said, they should be responsible for giving you adequate notice before ending your employment. Check your contract.

As I understand, all visas in every passport is accompanied by a stamp with extension of stay, at least all the visas I have got over the years. The extension of stay is granted normally until the visa expires. Everyone staying in Thailand on whatever visa must report every 90 days to immigration without exception.

For OP situation I feel with you, Chrisinth advice is what I would follow, depending on your relation with your employer, they should give you like 3 months notice, In present situation they must allow your employment to continue (with or without pay) for another 3 months or so to give you time to sort your stuff.

As I understand, all visas in every passport is accompanied by a stamp with extension of stay, at least all the visas I have got over the years. The extension of stay is granted normally until the visa expires. Everyone staying in Thailand on whatever visa must report every 90 days to immigration without exception.

There is no visa to expire after you enter the country only a permit to stay. Most peoples visa would of expired (90 days) long before their extended permit to stay.

Any stay longer than 90 days requires you to report to immigration.

There is no visa to expire after you enter the country only a permit to stay. Most peoples visa would of expired (90 days) long before their extended permit to stay.

Any stay longer than 90 days requires you to report to immigration.

Yes Ubonjoe you are correct, after checking my passport again, there is actually no visa in there, just the extension of stay permit and then what I thought was the visa is actually only a re-entry permit (it helps to read the stuff under all the stamps sometimes:)). And when extending the stay when you are already in the country there will be no visa either, just the extension of stay permit.

Sorry if I caused confusion about the visa.

This thread is already hopelessly confused. This is what happens when people use imprecise or incorrect terminology in the immigration and visas sub-forum!

Yes, if someone can be here for 10 years and still not understand that his visa expired and he is here on an extension of stay, then it does underline how important it is to use the correct language in these forums so the readers can better figure out their immigrations status ... before they get themselves into problems through misunderstanding.

I'm not picking on the O/P. He's hardly alone, but it does seem many people who stay here for a long time really ought to make the effort to understand the conditions of their permission to stay in Thailand.

Hopefully he can re-enter Thailand with enough time to either dispose of his property or find another teaching position. I would assume there must be some openings now that other teachers are having immigrations problems.

If that's the case and I have to leave the country.......I have been living here for 10 years and have accumulated a number of possessions, including a car. How do they expect me to get everything in order and leave the country immediately or within 7 days???

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I've read so many topics in the Visa and Immigration forums where the terminology and misunderstanding of many OP's confuse the issue for other members and for themselves about what is a Visa and what is an Extension of Stay.

i.e. When does a Visa stop being a Visa and then becomes an Extension of Stay.

I see Ubonjoe and Mario continually trying to correct and explain the difference to OP's over and over again.

Have any of you Mods considered writing an article about the difference between a Visa and an Extension of Stay and pinning it to the top of the section.

You can then provide the link to those who are misinformed or don't understand.

You must get tired of continually giving the same explanations to many, many TV members.

I know half the farangs in my local area still refer to their Extensions of Stay as Visas.

Just a suggestion!

• Like 1

A visa only allows you to enter the country and get the permit to stay allowed by it.

A visa stops being a visa as soon as the immigration officer stamps a permitted to stay date in your passport on entry to the country. You are no longer on a visa you are on a permit to stay.

A visa only allows you to enter the country and get the permit to stay allowed by it.

A visa stops being a visa as soon as the immigration officer stamps a permitted to stay date in your passport on entry to the country. You are no longer on a visa you are on a permit to stay.

Unless it's a multiple entry visa?

I am assuming that you obtained a 3 month Non B with papers provided by the school and with this visa you obtained your work permit. After you received your work permit your visa was extended until the end of the school year. During the year you have to send in a form every 90 days confirming your address and in return you receive a receipt stating your next report date.

Your visa expires at the end of your employment as does in theory your work permit. However, many people dont bother cancelling their work permit but it does make it more complicated if you plan to find another school.

In my case I found another school before leaving at the end of the year. At the end of the year I went and cancelled my work permit and was told I needed to go to immigration and get an extension of stay for seven days. I told them I was leaving in a couple of days so they wrote my letter and dated it the day I was leaving, no need to go and cancell my visa. I went to Laos got my new non B and returned to Thailand and started the whole process again.

If you are leaving the country in the near future I wouldnt worry to much, your visa will be cancelled when you leave.

If you are intending to find a new job here and havent found one yet you can do as I did go to the Department of Labour and cancel your work permit, see if they will give you a pre dated letter, leave the country on said date, get a tourist visa and return to find a new job.

Some people manage to transfer or change their status/visa/job without leaving I am not sure how this is done.

Wait a minute - I was in exactly the same position as the OP once.

Everyone told me that I had 7 days to leave the country. The fact was that the Department of Labour did NOT tell immigration that my WP had been cancelled. They are totally different departments.

I had a year left on my visa and someone told me that the only person that can change my visa is an immigration officer, so I decided that my visa was for the rest of the year.

At the end of the year, I got a visa from one of those agencies without any problems.

The only negative that happened was when I got a new WP I had to go to the police station and pay 1500 baht.

I know what they say but in reality this is what happened to me.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I've read so many topics in the Visa and Immigration forums where the terminology and misunderstanding of many OP's confuse the issue for other members and for themselves about what is a Visa and what is an Extension of Stay.

VISAs are provided at consulates and embassies outside Thailand.

Extensions of stay are provided by immigration offices inside Thailand.

VISAs last a fixed amount of time.

Extensions of stay last for a maximum time or until your reason for the extension ends

(example, death or divorce ends marriage extension, dismissal from employment ends work extension, school closing ends education extension).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

AnotherOneAmerican, on 22 Jul 2014 - 18:15, said:
Faz, on 22 Jul 2014 - 16:09, said:

VISAs are provided at consulates and embassies outside Thailand.

Extensions of stay are provided by immigration offices inside Thailand.

VISAs last a fixed amount of time.

Extensions of stay last for a maximum time or until your reason for the extension ends

(example, death or divorce ends marriage extension, dismissal from employment ends work extension, school closing ends education extension).

@AOA,

Yes, I fully understand the system, however many do not.

I suggested the mods put an explanation (yours was quite simple and easy to understand) as a 'sticky' in this section, then instead of repeatedly explaining to members they can just refer them to the link for an explanation.

I know the time and commitment a Mod gives to a Forum, usually without appreciation. I'm just trying to make their life simpler for them.

• Like 1

Everyone told me that I had 7 days to leave the country. The fact was that the Department of Labour did NOT tell immigration that my WP had been cancelled. They are totally different departments.

I had a year left on my visa and someone told me that the only person that can change my visa is an immigration officer, so I decided that my visa was for the rest of the year.

At the end of the year, I got a visa from one of those agencies without any problems.

The only negative that happened was when I got a new WP I had to go to the police station and pay 1500 baht.

Yep this is exactly what I thought. How long ago was this? I'm assuming the 1500 was for not canceling the work permit is that right?

It could be worth checking with labour to check if after ten years continuous employment you have any entitlement to severance/extended notice.

Yes your contract was fixed period, and yes notice is requires to terminate such a contract at term.

However I have read some comments that severance might still be due, even in the case of recurring annual contracts. At 10 years+ this would amount to 300 days with extra for inadequate notice, or 240 days if employed more than 6 years.

Just forgetting the law for a moment, what about decency?

Ten years employment - 2 weeks notice before the start of term - realy gives one ample time to find a new job? I think not.

Well what ever the outcome, your soon to be ex employer is a nasty piece of work, hope your next job is better and comes soon.

Yep this is exactly what I thought. How long ago was this? I'm assuming the 1500 was for not canceling the work permit is that right?

This must have been 10 years ago. Yes, the fine was for not cancelling the previous WP.

Unless it's a multiple entry visa?

A multiple entry visa permits you to enter multiple times until it expires. Yes.

But a permission to stay is granted each time you enter.

So it is the permission to stay that gives you permission to stay

And the visa that gives you permission to enter.

This is AFIK Unique to Thailand. The usual case is that, without an extension, permission to stay in a country expires with the visa. This is the main reason for people getting confused by the Thai system.

Examples of the benefits of this system are the 6 months that can be got from a 3 month double entry tourist visa, the 15 months that can be got from a 1 year Non-O and the 2 years that can be got from a 1 year Non-OA.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

It could be worth checking with labour to check if after ten years continuous employment you have any entitlement to severance/extended notice.

Yes your contract was fixed period, and yes notice is requires to terminate such a contract at term.

However I have read some comments that severance might still be due, even in the case of recurring annual contracts. At 10 years+ this would amount to 300 days with extra for inadequate notice, or 240 days if employed more than 6 years.

Just forgetting the law for a moment, what about decency?

Ten years employment - 2 weeks notice before the start of term - realy gives one ample time to find a new job? I think not.

Well what ever the outcome, your soon to be ex employer is a nasty piece of work, hope your next job is better and comes soon.

Apart from severance, I think the date of termination on the letter given to immigration should be AFTER the end of the period of severance because you are still being paid you are considered to technically still be employed. For example, if someone is terminated effective February 1st, and entitled to 3 months severance, then they would be entitled to stay on their current extension until May 1st and that's what the letter should say. So basically the employer needs to draft a letter to that effect. Within this 3 month period the OP should hopefully be able to find a new job and only closer to the end of the severance period would he need to change work permits and/or cancel his visa, not before.

As long as immigration can see you have been paid for every month they'll be OK and your "real" date of termination becomes irrelevant. Note that they do check this information to make sure.

BTW when I got terminated from a previous job my letter was dated effective the beginning of the following month, despite being terminated on the 18th of the month. I was entitled to get paid for the rest of the month. The reason I wasn't able to get more severance is because I was terminated during the probation period and hadn't served out the full probation period yet. That meant that even if I had been terminated on the 1st of the month I would still have been entitled to the full month's salary for the rest of the month.

If I had worked for longer I would have been allowed a proportionally larger severance payment. I believe after 4 months it would have been + 1 month (so for example, being terminated on Feb 1, you can remain until Apr 1), after a year + 3 months or something like that.