Got A New Uk Passport

steves_the_1

the links in the below text will not work here but it is taken (cut and pasted) from HERE

Biometric Passports

The new Biometric British Passports

Over the last two years, the UK Passport Service (UKPS) has successfully implemented a range of new procedures and systems to prevent identity and passport fraud. In 2006, we are launching one of our most important counter-fraud initiatives, the Biometric Passport. You can download a pdf of the UKPS leaflet 'Biometric Passports' here.

What is the Biometric Passport?

The Biometric British Passport (sometimes known as ePassport) will have a new design with additional security features, including a chip with the holder’s facial biometric.

What are biometrics?

Biometric technology makes use of the unique biological features we each have. Examples of biometric identifiers include facial measurements and characteristics, fingerprints and iris scans.

Why is the UK introducing biometrics in its passport?

The increasing threat of identity fraud necessitates the strengthening of security features in passports. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO – which sets international standards) nominated facial recognition as the primary biometric with iris and fingerprint as backup but not mandatory. The use of biometric information to link a person to a passport can help to counter identify fraud. In practice, biometric verification can be used at border controls and to verify the image on a passport renewal application against images held on record.

The use of biometric information to link a person to a passport serves a dual role:

* Helps to detect counterfeit or manipulated documents

* Confirms the identify of the individual

How will facial biometrics work?

Facial recognition will map various features on the face, for example, the distances between eyes, nose, mouth and ears. The measurements will be digitally coded and held on an electronic chip secured in the passport page. This can then be used for comparison and verification purposes. UKPS will be able to derive applicants’ facial biometrics from their passport photos. You can download a pdf of UKPS passport photo standards here.

Why are we introducing facial biometrics and not fingerprints/iris?

The facial biometric can be implemented with minimal change to the image capture (i.e. photo booths) and application process. The technology is eminently suitable for border control checking. It enables immigration officers to produce an image of the passport holder for checking the authenticity of the document against the person. The UKPS is still considering a secondary biometric in a later version of the passport.

How will the new passport be different?

Externally, the new Biometric Passport will appear very similar to the current one, although it will feature a logo indicating that there is a chip inside. Internally there will be many new security features including pages with intricate designs and new complex watermarks.

What information will be stored on the chip?

The chip will store the passport holder’s digital photo and other personal details printed on the passport bio-data page. The chip will complement the security features currently inherent in the ‘machine readable zone’ of the passport. The ‘machine readable zone’ will be needed to ensure immigration desks can continue to use existing readers.

Is biometric technology safe?

Yes, the technology is perfectly safe. Facial biometrics can be taken from a good quality passport photo. You can download a pdf of UKPS passport photo standards here. Recording finger and iris biometrics is also just like having a high quality digital photo taken of your fingers or irises.

Is the Biometric Passport secure?

The new biometric passport will have many new security features including a chip. The new design will be harder to forge, the new security features will show if the passport is genuine or that it has been tampered with and the facial biometrics on the chip will help link the passport holder to the document. The data on the chip (your photo and personal information as printed on page 31 of the passport) will be protected against skimming (and “eavesdropping”) by an advanced digital encryption technique. The chip will complement the security features currently inherent in the ‘machine readable zone’ (found on the personal data page of the passport).

When can I get a new Biometric Passport?

Your current passport will remain valid until its expiry date. You will not need to exchange your passport to a biometric passport. We are planning to introduce the biometric passport gradually over a period of six to nine months in 2006. During the early stages of transition, some people will receive a new biometric passport, but most customers will receive an existing digital passport. Always remember to apply for a new passport in good time as and when your current passport expires. It is best to allow 4-6 weeks for a passport application.

Do I need a Biometric Passport to enter the US?

The US Senate announced on 15 June 2005 a one-year extension (to 26 October 2006) to their requirement for biometric passports. This means that the digital passports that we currently issue (machine-readable, with a digital image) will continue to meet the criteria of the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) and most British Citizens will not require a US visa. Please visit www.usembassy.org.uk or www.fco.gov.uk for more detailed information about US visa and immigration rules.

does anyone know what is stored information is stored on these new fancy expensive booklets?

how biometric are they and can the government track me where ever i go? :o

Put simply:-

1. All the information on the data page of the passport.

2. Facial biometrics - a fancy way of saying 'digital photograph'.

It's actually considerably more clever than a simple photo so that the computer at the airport can match what it sees through its camera with what's stored on the passport without using massive amounts of computing power.

And yes, they can track exactly where you are and what you are doing at any time even when your passport is at home in the draw!!! NOT. It can do no more tracking than the existing system.

2. Facial biometrics - a fancy way of saying 'digital photograph'.

>>> Facial recognition will map various features on the face, for example,

>>> the distances between eyes, nose, mouth and ears.

I thought about this and wondered how they could actually measure the distance between the eyes from a photograph. An accurate measurement would require three reference points. This would be impossilbe from a two dimensional photographic image.

I think what they actually mean is that from the photograph they measure distances of ears, nose, eyes, chin, etc but the actual stored results are relative to the height of the face. For example distance between eyes is 64% and distance between ears is 72%.

post-21917-1151720028_thumb.jpg

My son's recent passport application photograph was refused because he was wearing glasses. May be worth noting to save someone a second trip.

Cheers,

John_Betong

The standard says that there should be no flare on the lens of the glasses, and they should be clear not tinted. The photo above failed on both those counts, although the colour of the lens was the expensive anti glare coating. The person taking the photo should have noticed this and reshot it.

I have found that it is easier to ask the people to remove their glasses even if they wear them all the time. It save them coming back to have a new photo taken.

It is interesting to see how different countries have interpereted the standard. Most countries require that the photo be taken straight on looking directly into the camera, eyes open mouth closed, not showing any teeth. The final photo should have the face being between 32-26mm from the chin to the crown of the head where the skull would be. As a variation on this the Dutch require that the head is 20mm from ear to ear, this gives similar size face to the general standard. The US, Canada, Ireland, Portugal and Italy do not follow the international standard, there may be others but I have not encountered them yet.

I had a Seik with beard and turban, that was interesting guessing the measurement for that one. They also have the same requirements of babies, although the size face can be smaller, but is stil has to be looking at the camera both eyes open mouth closed and a neutral expression. I have had a 6 week old baby's photo rejected because they could not see both ears. :o Remember what is the first thing we teach a child when they see a camera :D smile! Try telling a new baby you are only trying to fulfill the requirements of some bunch of shiny-assed pencil pushers. Of course you could see it was the same baby when the passport arrived 4 weeks later.