OPINION: The right kind of long-timer

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good thing.

Get a work permit and work visa. Pay your bloody taxes. Then you'll have no problem.

This visa run thing has gone on long enough. One of the good things that will come out of this is we will have less 'teachers' now. We really don't need all this riff raff 'teachers' whose only qualification is speaking the language and being white. High time this country hired real English teachers.

If they want real teachers they will have to pay real salaries.

They can't afford me.

This is a good thing.

Get a work permit and work visa. Pay your bloody taxes. Then you'll have no problem.

This visa run thing has gone on long enough. One of the good things that will come out of this is we will have less 'teachers' now. We really don't need all this riff raff 'teachers' whose only qualification is speaking the language and being white. High time this country hired real English teachers.

There are real teaching jobs in Thailand. I know a guy who made about $60k per year teaching English. Of course he was a real teacher though :) Edited by OnMyWay2
  • Like 1

This is a good thing.

If they want real teachers, why don't they make the "wannabe teachers" take a test and actually see if they can teach?

Having a degree means nothing.

• Like 2

"...as happened to me yesterday"

Perhaps they've been reading your posts here.

i tell you yesterday i nearly walked away from 38 years of being here (yes all NON B and NON O year visas)..the place is controlled by badly educated morons, who to put it straight dont deserve 1 baht of my immigration fees

Are you educated?

So, some guy who is successful enough to have made it by 40, to be wealthy beyond the imagination of the author of this Phuket news drivel, to be smarter and richer and contribute more to Thailand than a hundred of the ilk of this author or a truck full of immigration office [removed], who happens to be too young for a retirement visa, who spends more on hotels than this dumb author can imagine, is automatically feckless because he has too many stamps in his passport?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thailand is not interested in foreign entrepreneurs its only interest is money how much money can we get from the Alien then send him home after his money is spent, I can understand how they want to get rid of the lazy foreign loafers who just hang around the bars all day and night and live hand to mouth and on their wits sponging from genuine tourists all the time.

Get a work permit and work visa. Pay your bloody taxes. Then you'll have no problem

What about those who want to freelance here and have no desire to cheat the taxes ?. I wouldn't be surprised if they crack down on people using management companies for people to get 'false' work permits when they don't actually work for that company at all.

The system needs another option which doesn't involve the poor farang getting ripped off yet again.

And what of the "comfortably living"expats that have/are contributing to the country's coffers...? To be more succint, those of us that are, indeed, in/out of TH and coming in on a 30 day walk-in visa. Many folks do this and have their homes here already in preparation of retiring here. Perhaps a card could be applied here - NO , not that rubbish Elite card!

I think maybe they're suggesting you should have invested in getting legal before investing in that home, that car and that life you've planned inside the loopholes.

I wish my tenure in Thailand were as cheap as the Elite card. Even the Thai income tax on the absolute minimum I can earn and still keep getting a WP extension is quite a bit more than the 100K per year for the Elite card.

I pay Thai income tax on quite a bit more than the absolute minimum, and happy for the privilege. That's on top of the 7% VAT and luxury taxes and rent and meals and all the other "contributions" extolled by the posters that think that should be enough to throw the doors open and roll out the red carpet for them.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

This is a good thing.

So we can just generalize every teacher without a degree as riff raff and a burden on Thai society now?

"I have a teaching degree and I pay my 400baht/month taxes so the problem is solved now everyone. The Junta can go home and the elections may proceed now. Thailand is saved"

I work with teachers, some have degrees, some don't. The teachers without degrees are on par, if not better than the "teachers" that have degree's so pull your head out the sand mate.

So much ignorance here. >=(

• Like 1

So, some guy who is successful enough to have made it by 40, to be wealthy beyond the imagination of the author of this Phuket news drivel, to be smarter and richer and contribute more to Thailand than a hundred of the ilk of this author or a truck full of immigration office nazis, who happens to be too young for a retirement visa, who spends more on hotels than this dumb author can imagine, is automatically feckless because he has too many stamps in his passport?

So someone with wealth beyond imagination ... at age 40 can just put 10 million baht or roughly 300,000 $US into a Thai money market fund for the next 10 years and cash out at age 50 -- what's the big deal for someone with millions of dollars?

Get a work permit and work visa. Pay your bloody taxes. Then you'll have no problem

What about those who want to freelance here and have no desire to cheat the taxes ?. I wouldn't be surprised if they crack down on people using management companies for people to get 'false' work permits when they don't actually work for that company at all.

The system needs another option which doesn't involve the poor farang getting ripped off yet again.

by freelancers do you mean people who work legally on short time contracts in Thailand and do pay taxes or do you mean tourists who live in

Thailand long term by flogging sh*t on ebay to make next months rent and mamma noodle bill ?

the first example I gave is perfectly legimate and legal and know a few people who do this...

• Like 1

This is a good thing.

You're right. And by forcing all the faux teachers home, they'll be forced to pay for and get real teachers.

I don't belive that. There are plenty of teachers from the Philippines and other countries that would love to work here for those low salaries. And many of them are also better qualified

So, some guy who is successful enough to have made it by 40, to be wealthy beyond the imagination of the author of this Phuket news drivel, to be smarter and richer and contribute more to Thailand than a hundred of the ilk of this author or a truck full of immigration office [removed], who happens to be too young for a retirement visa, who spends more on hotels than this dumb author can imagine, is automatically feckless because he has too many stamps in his passport?

For every 1 like this, there are 300 who are living on a shoe string getting by.

Easy, you got cash and your young?? There is a visa for that !!!!!

Edited by Tycoon

guess some people are just perfect and contribute unknown quality's to Thailand ...the key word being unknown

I for one welcome the day IMMIGRATION will be actually sorted out and they treat people with respect instead of suspected criminals...it all starts with good day how may i help you ...not what you want ..passport now! ...as happened to me yesterday

Maybe you were just unlucky. I have never had a problem with any immigration officials, either at border controls or offices. I generally try to look at least half respectable, smile nicely, never appear upset or stressed and if I am I keep it too myself and greet them in their own language as best I can, easy. Hey, maybe I'll also get unlucky one day? As for treating people with respect, maybe us farangs could start by treating them with respect and it will be reciprocated? And included in my idea of respect is not abusing their immigration rules and regulations as many, many do, and that is not meant as any personal slight against you, as I have no idea of your immigration status. Welcome back to Thailand, have an enjoyable stay.

Can easily afford to get an elite card.

• Like 1

This is a good thing.

If they want real teachers, why don't they make the "wannabe teachers" take a test and actually see if they can teach?

Having a degree means nothing.

"take a test " .. And who would be the examiners?

An observation of mine is that Thai school children are not encouraged to inquire. My methods may not please all examiners, even though I may be a better teacher. Actually, when I have been teaching, at two schools in particular, other staff members have joined the class, sitting there taking notes. ;-)

Government/Education/Schools should realise that there are people willing to come here

But they must be looked after!

It is much easier and cheaper to hire English speaking Thais

[so why bother with foreigners] "Foreigners just come and go"

I took a 50% pay cut to come here. (Because I can afford to)

It cost me THB 50,000 to Fly/Visas and settle in costs.

(Including Loss of Salary because through procrastination and bureaucracy I had to fly out again)

Real Teachers aged between 24 and 44 with at least some experience and qualified

cannot afford to stay here, if they want to retain any semblance of a "normal" life

Other countries in this area offer far better welcomes than Thailand,

including Vietnam and China - with ALL costs covered.

Even a flight home every year to visit family!

(As with all International companies)

Despite having, all "the bells and whistles" and an excellent track record,

I am treated as just some foreigner - like an office junior...?

I wanted to stay here, but I am thinking of leaving.......

This is a good thing.

This is a good thing.

Easier said than done mate. Unfortunately, it's not as black and white as that - not every foreigner who works here is, or aspires to be a teacher. How do you propose freelance programmers, for example, or YouTubers who work alone get a work permit? I'm sure there are many people who work online, and get contracts from abroad, want to work legally and pay taxes, but are simply unable to due to the archaic labour laws which don't have a place in the digital age. What about the jeweller, the designer, the artist, the entrepreneur or any other of the myriad freelance professions that require a currently unobtainable work permit, for whom starting a company (which they can't even fully own), renting an office and employing several Thai staff before they can employ themselves is just not a viable option? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Here's hoping, as the article suggests, that the immigration laws will swing the other way too, and make it much simpler for these guys. It'll not only benefit them, but Thailand too.

• Like 2

This is a good thing.

You're right. And by forcing all the faux teachers home, they'll be forced to pay for and get real teachers.

But this will make the courses more expensive and inaccessible to poorer Thai people - less customers and eventually no business. You cannot put up wages disspropotionately to general wages in Thailand because that is unfair on locals. So increase the wages for everyone = thailand becomes as expensive as other countries = tourists will no longer flock to Thailand because the other countries offer higher standards etc etc etc

I completley disagree that you need a university quallification to teach every day spoken English at a level needed to support the tourist industry - what is far more important is to check for any criminal records that might put young people at risk

It is possible for someone to live in Thailand by renting their property in the UK and doing a little part time english teaching. That way they can work part time and have a reasonable standard of living. They would be contributing to the Thai economy without however meeting the stringent financial requirements needed for long term visas. It would in my opinion be a tragedy if the only foreigners living in Thailand were rich people. If you can afford to live a basic life style, similar to average Thai's, without being a burden on the state or committing crime, then why shouldnt you.

I agree the UK is as bad but that is no reason for Thailand to follow our bad example of how to welcome people to their country

• Like 1

For every 1 like this, there are 300 who are living on a shoe string getting by.

Easy, you got cash and your young?? There is a visa for that !!!!!

What visa?

Which visa is it that I should go for at 29 years age, living on savings, spending between 20 to 30k/month. Searching for jobs but still studying for my bachelor from abroad by online studies.

Which visa should I use?

Am I a tourist? Doubtful since I live with my fiancee, I don't travel much unless when she has vacation and what I do most is looking for jobs outside of the teacher sector since I'm a Non-native English speaker and don't hold a degree. That leaves sales job as a good option, and it's not like I'm not trying to get them, I'm even prepared to commute between BKK and Huahin, staying in HH during the weekdays for job and going home from Friday to Sunday.

But there are many young Scandinavians who want those jobs. And I have yet to wait for my luck to land one.

So what am I then?

What visa can I apply for? Which one would be the right??

All this has led to me and my fiancee hurrying up our marriage 2 years for the official part since that might give me a chance. But we are still not married.

I have done nothing wrong, I have abused nobody. I'm not sitting drinking beer in a sleazy bar wearing a tank-top... I'm just a guy who wishes to live round the people he loves. And while I still can afford it without working, then why hurry(?)

But why would it be impossible for someone to be tourist more than 30 days?

And what am I if not a tourist??

Should I just leave Thailand cause I'm not wearing a suit and working? Am I not welcome to just live and spend the money I earned after 6 years working in Norway? Why does some of you seem to have a huge problem with that?

And if I'm not a tourist, but still should get chance to stay here, what should it be based upon?

I still haven't got a decent answer to this one.

I would LOVE to go for a non imm Visa of any kind. I would love to do what is expected of me and follow all rules.

But at the moment I can't figure out what that would be, except getting married or land one of all the jobs I applied for quickly, which won't happen since even-though I've been to interviews and have interviews coming I'm just one of more than 100 applying, and need to wait 2-4 weeks from each company to let them see who they choose, perhpas get a mail that said they found other candidates for the post, and then start the cycle from the beginning since the all the same companies will hand out new positions all the time. So it may take awhile..

....they should take into consideration those of us that come to Thailand with a healthy bank account.....

.....to have it emptied and funds redirected into Thai wives names and control .......too....

...few quality individuals have come to Thailand with empty pockets...

.....even those that ended up in the street......and suddenly 'no longer welcome'....

To respond to post #50 that says: How do you propose freelance programmers, for example, or YouTubers who work alone get a work permit?

Thailand has a priority to encourage foreign investments that create jobs for Thai citizens -- they do not seem to have much interest in creating incentives for foreigners who want to come to Thailand and work alone.

• Like 1

This is a good thing.

man I wish everyone would think before they post or get a crying towel.

This comment is getting soooooooo boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want UK, Canadian or US wages to teach then please stay in the UK, US or Canada.

Take a look at the cost of living here.

I am sorry but at the minimum of 30k a month a NES is getting paid a hell of a lot more than any other teacher and in most cases doing a lot less.

I am sorry if you can not afford a Ferrari and a 2 bedroom condo on Sukimvit.

life sucks.

guess some people are just perfect and contribute unknown quality's to Thailand ...the key word being unknown

I for one welcome the day IMMIGRATION will be actually sorted out and they treat people with respect instead of suspected criminals...it all starts with good day how may i help you ...not what you want ..passport now! ...as happened to me yesterday

That would be a welcome change. I for one dread the annual visit to Chang Wattana immigration.

That money-making machine should be patented. They must be laughing their heads off come closing time. And when I see elderly peolple being transported there in their hospital beds, I feel sick. How humiliating.

I was once in hospital when my visa expired. As I was getting desperate, the hospital (Samitivej) kindly and efficiently arranged for an officer from immigration to come and sort out my problem. He showed up, demanded money and signatures and proceded - without asking permission - to take photos of me with tubes sticking out here and there in my sickbed. As foreigners we are expected to treat all things Thai with respect, but that seems to be a one way street.

I think it is about time that some people in this country got off their high horses and started to behave decently towards visitors to their country - tourists as well as people who live here for various reasons (as long as the reasons are valid of course).

This is a good thing.

This comment is getting soooooooo boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest, i find it rather boring that obviously the Authorities, the Press and many members here consider every long term tourist as a criminal. For some peoples, it must be a thing of the impossibility to imagine, that soms are able to finance / support them self without to do illegal work or commit crimes.

It's one thing to motivate residents to get a proper visa. But it's another thing to insinuate these guests as illegal workers.

Edited by alocacoc