Thai private Health Insurance to foreigners 50 to 70 years old.

umbanda

It is quite frightening the cost of medical care in Thailand,particularly the private hospitals that abound,also drags the cost of insurance up too,. The private hospitals themselves must be feeling the cost at lack of patients too,the three private hospitals close by have radio adverting now,back to back stuff quoting " fair and affordable pricing",they would only be doing that through lack of numbers ie the Russians

Cannot understand how anybody can have a previous health scare and still lives here in Thailand even with medical insurance,those premiums are going to go through the roof after a year or so

It is quite frightening the cost of medical care in Thailand,particularly the private hospitals that abound,also drags the cost of insurance up too,. The private hospitals themselves must be feeling the cost at lack of patients too,the three private hospitals close by have radio adverting now,back to back stuff quoting " fair and affordable pricing",they would only be doing that through lack of numbers ie the Russians

Cannot understand how anybody can have a previous health scare and still lives here in Thailand even with medical insurance,those premiums are going to go through the roof after a year or so

A "previous health scare" will almost certainly mean a pre-existing condition, which will not be covered anyway. It's all very well for people to say that someone is a not insured because they don't want to pay, but what is the point of having insurance if there are so many exclusions? It's not just a question of the cost of premiums.

I have tried to follow up on Sheryl's commentary, but can find no such insurance as she mentions.

Try this one if you like,,,

https://www.bupaglobal.com/en/international-health-insurance

... link given without recommendation

Edited by jpinx

A "previous health scare" will almost certainly mean a pre-existing condition, which will not be covered anyway. It's all very well for people to say that someone is a not insured because they don't want to pay, but what is the point of having insurance if there are so many exclusions? It's not just a question of the cost of premiums.

I have tried to follow up on Sheryl's commentary, but can find no such insurance as she mentions.

Try this one if you like,,,

https://www.bupaglobal.com/en/international-health-insurance

... link given without recommendation

Was quoting as to another thread here.

Why anyone would elect to have non-urgent surgery at almost 3 million baht (not that urgent anyway) in Thailand,having international insurance is stupefying

The insurance company could easily paid for flights,BUPA hospital in UK, NHS picking up the bill,as UK national. The surgeon concerned must be close on 70 years old too.

India choice so cheap efficient and excellent, India flights too take the dead,near dead ,just buy 3 seats for medivac

You are assuming you'll be up and about and able to do such things.

If you are in a serious accident with head injuries, multiple fractures and the like -- or have a sudden stroke -- or any number of other scenarios, this may not be the case. You'll be incapacitated, unable to do anything, and hospital bills will pile up.

Just an example. My 4 times broken leg was done at the Sisaket government hospital. A good friend and nurse of the hospital "helped" me to get a single room for almost nothing.

The operation, a plate was implanted, went terribly wrong and eight months later, I needed to go to Europe for some further operations. Finally an artificial knee joint.

The bill was over 100,000 baht. Only six days at the hospital.

It was such a bad job that the doctors in Europe couldn't understand how I could put any weight on my leg. An expensive nightmare.

Here is just one example of many https://www.cignaglobal.com/medical-insurance/explained

Best to work with a broker

I have tried to find their exclusions policy but I can not find it anywhere. This already raises red-flags with anyone wanting details of cover....

Also -- the quotes for "Expat insurance" and for "International Health Insurance" were identical -- the company obviously makes no difference between them. I am not shooting them down -- just pointing out what happens when you look for a quote and for their terms.

Edited by jpinx

You are assuming you'll be up and about and able to do such things.

If you are in a serious accident with head injuries, multiple fractures and the like -- or have a sudden stroke -- or any number of other scenarios, this may not be the case. You'll be incapacitated, unable to do anything, and hospital bills will pile up.

Just an example. My 4 times broken leg was done at the Sisaket government hospital. A good friend and nurse of the hospital "helped" me to get a single room for almost nothing.

The operation, a plate was implanted, went terribly wrong and eight months later, I needed to go to Europe for some further operations. Finally an artificial knee joint.

The bill was over 100,000 baht. Only six days at the hospital.

It was such a bad job that the doctors in Europe couldn't understand how I could put any weight on my leg. An expensive nightmare.

Heard tales like this more than a few times too

I spent a bit of time trying various options in here.....

https://www.cignaglobal.com/

and here's some observations...

Increasing age does not push it to ridiculous levels. Maximum age is 99.

Trying lots of different declarations of various prior medical issues shows 2 things....

... If the prior condition was successfully treated and has not needed attention within the last 5 years or so - it's ignored.

... If the prior condition still exists but is controlled by some "standard" medication, it might be ignored.

... If the prior condition still exists and has not been successfully treated, it'll be excluded by default, but you might be able to negotiate some limited cover for your specific case.

Please don't cane me for my generalisations, - try the website yourself with your specifics....

For a European Male age 69
The most basic Cigna Global Silver policy.
Area of Cover - WorldWide Excluding USA
International Medical Insurance Deductible and Cost Share £6650 deductible (30% cost share (£3325 out of pocket max))
------ that's like approximately £10,000 deductible in the worst case.
1 monthly payment of £ 95.48 then 11 monthly payments of £ 95.51 inc tax == £ 1,146.09 per annum

I hope this helps a few folks understand what's possible and encourages a few to actually get a quote. It has to be said - their online quote system is pretty impressive.

Acknowledgements to Sheryl for the link

Edited by jpinx

Thanks for above

I'm still not convinced on medical insurance,the above figures would be good for catastrophic accident or illness ,whether that is likely to happen is anybody's guess,and I would say probably not.

Its not good for anything that could be described as pre-planned and a choice of destinations for medical assistance is chosen Looks like a one trick pony too,at 69 most things are wearing out,why put a plaster on one thing when the whole lot needs a bandage?

Its not good for anything that could be described as pre-planned and a choice of destinations for medical assistance is chosen Looks like a one trick pony too,at 69 most things are wearing out,why put a plaster on one thing when the whole lot needs a bandage?

What on earth does that mean?

There is a TV member who just had surgery for lung cancer plus repair of an aortic aneurysm paid for under this policy, a 3 million baht hospital bill. He didn't expect to need either. It happens.

Thanks for above

I'm still not convinced on medical insurance,the above figures would be good for catastrophic accident or illness ,whether that is likely to happen is anybody's guess,and I would say probably not.

If you read the webpage you will see that the cover is for a million sterling per year total. It's better to read the details rather than jumping to conclusions about what is covered.

This insurance has nothing to do with pre-planned procedures, it's to cover the cost of the unexpected. What you elect to do and plan for will include your plan for financing the work.

There is a TV member who just had surgery for lung cancer plus repair of an aortic aneurysm paid for under this policy, a 3 million baht hospital bill. He didn't expect to need either. It happens.

He had time Sheryl to decide on where he wanted surgery,for reasons of the insurance he chose here,personally I would have caught the first 'plane back to the UK,had it done there,whether a better experience would have been expected,but there is accountability there,here just get on with it, if it goes pear shaped,so what

3 million is one hell of a figure,best hospital Penang a third to half,yes India at least one seventh,back 'ome free its just these damned Thailand medical bills,like Topsy they just grow and grow, I do not want to be part of it

Edited by loppylugs1

He had time Sheryl to decide on where he wanted surgery,for reasons of the insurance he chose here,personally I would have caught the first 'plane back to the UK,had it done there,whether a better experience would have been expected,but there is accountability there,here just get on with it, if it goes pear shaped,so what

3 million is one hell of a figure,best hospital Penang a third to half,yes India at least one seventh,back 'ome free its just these damned Thailand medical bills,like Topsy they just grow and grow, I do not want to be part of it

That assumes you will be accepted byt the national health in UK. It's not that straightforward. And what does it matter to you if the bill was 3 million or 23 million - the insurance paid it.....

That assumes you will be accepted byt the national health in UK. It's not that straightforward. And what does it matter to you if the bill was 3 million or 23 million - the insurance paid it.....

This guy in particular,after paying his 3 million do you honestly believe he will be in any fit state to continue post op as of pre op days in Thailand,its just a stop gap. Sad to say his days are finished in Thailand,the medical insurance quote will see to that ,plus whatever ailments occurring, the long term strategy just a waste of time the operation in Thailand.

Got me thinking though of my existence here,not that I wasn't already

The NHS will accept returning expat in these circumstances.

Taking out medical insurance at this age 69 ,70 etc is (to me) a waste of time,the "one trick pony" . Frightened of ever using the insurance for anything minor,broken bones etc for the case of increased premiums or even cancelled insurance,just awaiting the Big One,that more than probability will never occur,and even if it did,the incident that put you in harms way will be goodbye Thailand,there is no way you will be jumping out of bed the next week and carrying on as before

Planning,is wanted,medivac will not be on any insurance policy quoted here,there are other areas close by that for one tenth,twentieth even that superior treatment is offered over Thailands

There is no reason on earth to be "frightened of ever using the insurance for anything minor". That is what the insurance is for, and you use it. I do and so does everyone else who has insurance, as a matter if course.

Do not get a policy that allows the insurer to cancel at will (though that would never arise as a result of it being used for anything one-time or minor -- where it would arise is if you developed a major condition likely to have a lot of future costs associated with it). This basically means, do not get a Thailand-issued policy. Though if you do, you will certainly not run into any issues just because of minor or routine claims.

I suggest you talk with people from the many countries where health insurance is the norm. It is not some strange, suspicious racket.

The NHS will accept returning expat in these circumstances.

Taking out medical insurance at this age 69 ,70 etc is (to me) a waste of time,the "one trick pony" . Frightened of ever using the insurance for anything minor,broken bones etc for the case of increased premiums or even cancelled insurance,just awaiting the Big One,that more than probability will never occur,and even if it did,the incident that put you in harms way will be goodbye Thailand,there is no way you will be jumping out of bed the next week and carrying on as before

Planning,is wanted,medivac will not be on any insurance policy quoted here,there are other areas close by that for one tenth,twentieth even that superior treatment is offered over Thailands

I think you will find that the NHS will NOT accept returning expats willy-nilly. There was some discussion about this in another thread recently.

It takes a dispassionate analysis to determine the best thing to do, but it also requires that the policy and it's conditions are read fully and understood. The age limit is 99, there is no restriction on the number of claims per year, only the amount of the annual coverage, which can be unlimited. If you are trying to cover the Big Event - then reduce your premiums by accepting a large deductible and co-pay the claims, as I outlined above. The insurance will cover the excess cost of your big event.

It might benefit some people to get friendly advice from people who have actually used this type of insurance.

Edited by jpinx

Thanks Sheryl and JP

From my perspective I think medical insurance here in Thailand is a non-starter. Now for a smoker,yes real value for money,you are almost certainly going to use it,but for a non-smoker not ,and sharing the same insurance platform with a smoker is ludicrous

" I love smoking,I know its going to kill me,but I'm happy with a cigarette in my hand".

For a years premiums ,say £3500 with the first £1000 to find,increasing by whatever rate, Thailand again OK

For medical treatment of say 1 million baht (£20,000) in Thailand the same treatment I could obtain two hours away in India and in the region of £1000-£2000 and of the two camps India (staying away from the medical tourist areas) and Thailand I most definitely know which one Id choose and it ain't Thailand

Anyway I do not think the majority of doctors here in Thailand are any damned good,you only have to look from past threads ,even this one and having to trawl the length of the entire country to find a decent one seems bewildering, Jet ski operators in white coats these private hospitals are The one who did the op sounded like he is the last survivor of the US 7th cavalry from the battle of Little Big Horn

Anyway all I would be betting on by purchasing medical insurance here in Thailand is not making that 5am SpiceJet from DM,,all tucked up in hospital bed by 7 30am

Thanks JP you should know where my address is ,and medivac if it comes to that,is for me ,free

The expat policies we are discussing would cover care in India too. Worldwide exceopt USA.

And what on earth do you plan to do if you are not fit to travel?

If you have a major heart attack or stroke, get hit by a car with serious head injuries...there any number of scenarios in which it would be impossible for you to travel and these are not at all uncommon.

The expat policies we are discussing would cover care in India too. Worldwide exceopt USA.

And what on earth do you plan to do if you are not fit to travel?

If you have a major heart attack or stroke, get hit by a car with serious head injuries...there any number of scenarios in which it would be impossible for you to travel and these are not at all uncommon.

Sheryl, You think I'm going to pay those insurance rates for a country like India where the very operation itself would be less than half the price of one single insurance premium quoted for Thailand?

Yes about to go over to get the ticker checked out,Ill wait on the results just have to take my chances Sheryl am covered by medivac

I think Sheryl hit the nail on the head when she pointed out that those who are skeptical of health insurance should talk with those of us who come from countries where health insurance is the norm.

The people who sell health and personal accident insurance here in Chiang Mai tell me that Americans are their best customers, probably because we've always had to make arrangements for our own health coverage and also we've had to educate ourselves about our health care and not just accept what the doctor tell us without question. These aren't American insurance sales people who tell me this, incidentally.

I guess one "advantage" of coming from a country with the most expensive health care system in the world is we know what it's like to be one illness away from bankruptcy. We all know someone who's "been there done that". It's a major cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S That's also a very real problem for expats in Thailand, only we don't get to file bankruptcy and start over again here.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Lowriesuzanne said:

Thank god I scuba dive. DAN, the divers assn, will insure me forever for less than $1000 us per year. Includes medi vac

Doesn't pass the sniff test.  If true, they'd be bankrupt in a few months.

I suspect it's a travel insurance plan that is only meant to get you marginally safe to travel back home where your real insurance will kick in.  Or not.