Thai private Health Insurance to foreigners 50 to 70 years old.

umbanda

I think this may be interesting to many people.

Since the matter about Health Insurance for foreigners was raised by the former Government, I had concerns that some day that will be mandatory immigration requirement to get a visa extension. I am just 2 weeks away from my 70 birthday, and without any possibility in getting insured by a foreign company. Four weeks ago I saw a TV ad from AIA offering health insurance, with cash value life insurance, for people between 50 an 70 years old.

I asked at my local AIA office to a very nice agent. I am on a retirement extension, married with Thai, living in Thailand since 2011.

Took 2 weeks, and was very easy and inexpensive. I just got it.

If you need more details, just send me a message.

An easy and inexpensive policy for people aged 50 to 70?

Be sure to read the fine print to see what sort of cover it actually provides.

Some people erroneously think that if you have a healht insurance policy - any policy - it means you will not have to pay for health care. Not at all the case.

Some policies cover so little as to be almost worthless.

More details....

I may be wrong, but I understood that any foreigner living here more than 6 months can get it. The AIA agent was great, but she do not speak good English. By my surprise, an attendant at one hospital I visit to check the benefits is a fluent English speaker. I speak fluent Spanglish.

I am 69, married with Thai, on retirement extension since 2011.

In my case I just had to bring my passport, marriage certification, my bank book and ATM card, and my wife's house book.

The bank book is just to have automatic payments deduction.

No medical exam.

There are several plans. I got the cheapest one, 100,000THB life insurance with 48,800THB cash value in 10 years. Cost 32,016THB/year OR 2,670THB/month. I do not know if there is price difference by age on application.

I had to pay 2 months in advance at the application, and the benefits starts one month later. Here in Chiang Rai, the options are the 2 best private hospitals, taking care also of hospital private room cost up to 2,200/up to 125 days/year, 60000 for surgery, 20000 for hospital expenses, 800 for doctor visits up to 125 times, etc.

What will happen if Immigration starts asking for mandatory Health Insurance for visa extensions? Will Thai Immigration accept my US Medicare only valid on the US?

Do you know any foreign company that will insure a 69 y.o?, and without medical exam? My last US private health insurance cost me more than $600US a month, after medical exam, and I was 55.

Looks good. But don't worry about the insurance company, they will make money out of you. I bet you will find in the small print something about premiums 'at the discretion of the company' or similar, also, insurance cover can be terminated ... etc. I have found this kind of condition in the small print of other companies.

I am of the view that any insurance is better than none, at least it will get you into the hospital.

Some people erroneously think that if you have a healht insurance policy - any policy - it means you will not have to pay for health care. Not at all the case.

I will let you know. I will start using it in 30 days....but..tell me ..What you can get in western countries for $90/month? In 2012 I was bite by a street dog, and I have to pay more than 15000THB in a Thai Government hospital for the rabies shots. This insurance covers that...and I still loving dogs and I pet all on my way...some..I take home for a good bath.

Looks good. But don't worry about the insurance company, they will make money out of you. I bet you will find in the small print something about premiums 'at the discretion of the company' or similar, also, insurance cover can be terminated ... etc. I have found this kind of condition in the small print of other companies.

I am of the view that any insurance is better than none, at least it will get you into the hospital.

And....may be enough if Thai Imigration ask for Health Insurance to get extensions. Also, AIA is a well known local company and may be not so bad....

I cannot expect a wide coverage in a policy for a 69y.o without medical exam. You are right..better than nothing.

" Four weeks ago I saw a TV ad from AIA offering health insurance, with cash value life insurance, for people between 50 an 70 years old."

Do hope this is not the case, but could it be that the policy is cancelled when the holder reaches age 70? "Between" is the critical word here.

Mac

" Four weeks ago I saw a TV ad from AIA offering health insurance, with cash value life insurance, for people between 50 an 70 years old."

Do hope this is not the case, but could it be that the policy is cancelled when the holder reaches age 70? "Between" is the critical word here.

Mac

Between is the critical word to qualify.

Policy ends at 80 years old. In 2 weeks more I will be 70....and sincerely....I do not think I will last more 10 years.

If you are 50 you will have 30 years of coverage and probably the cash value will be bigger at 80 y.o than mine.....

Anyway...after death...the cash value will go to my wife...I hope enough to pay for the "party".

More details....

I may be wrong, but I understood that any foreigner living here more than 6 months can get it. The AIA agent was great, but she do not speak good English. By my surprise, an attendant at one hospital I visit to check the benefits is a fluent English speaker. I speak fluent Spanglish.

In my case I just had to bring my passport, marriage certification, my bank book and ATM card, and my wife's house book.

No medical exam.

There are several plans. I got the cheapest one, 100,000THB life insurance with 48,800THB cash value in 10 years. Cost 32,016THB/year OR 2,670THB/month. I do not know if there is price difference by age on application.

I had to pay 2 months in advance at the application, and the benefits starts one month later. Here in Chiang Rai, the options are the 2 best private hospitals, taking care also of hospital private room cost up to 2,200/up to 125 days/year, 60000 for surgery, 20000 for hospital expenses, 800 for doctor visits up to 125 times, etc.

What will happen if Immigration starts asking for mandatory Health Insurance for visa extensions? Will Thai Immigration accept my US Medicare only valid on the US?

Do you know any foreign company that will insure a 69 y.o?, and without medical exam? My last US private health insurance cost me more than $600US a month, after medical exam, and I was 55.

Only 2,200/day for hospital room, 60,000 baht for surgery and 20,000 for hospital expenses = grossly inadequate level of cover. Even in a government hospital, bills can easily run into hundreds of thousands of baht, and in private hospitals, millions.

To be adequately covered you need at least 2 million per episode if using only govt hospitals, 5 million if using private. You've got all totalled maybe 90-100K worth of coverage. Relative to that low level of coverage your premium is pretty high. Basically 3 years of premiums equals your total level of cover.

More details....

No medical exam.

Only 2,200/day for hospital room, 60,000 baht for surgery and 20,000 for hospital expenses = grossly inadequate level of cover. Even in a government hospital, bills can easily run into hundreds of thousands of baht, and in private hospitals, millions.

To be adequately covered you need at least 2 million per episode if using only govt hospitals, 5 million if using private. You've got all totalled maybe 90-100K worth of coverage. Relative to that low level of coverage your premium is pretty high. Basically 3 years of premiums equals your total level of cover.

Ask me what I got in the US in 20 years paying $7,200/year for 80% coverage.....Probably $ 2,000 in consultations. A total of a $144,000 "waste". Ironically....I had a BIG problem at 63, without private insurance ..but... I was under Medicare. I retired just in time.

I know this policy it is not cheap. In one year I will pay 32000THB/year..... but not just for insurance, for peace of mind. Priceless!

I already paid 8000THB....

If I have an accident, and I will need a surgery, and be in the hospital for 5 days from tomorrow, by the policy the insurance will have to pay at least 95000THB....and every year if I get into another one...and another one. May happens...Sometimes I think that I still in my twenties. That is what insurance is about....

You may not pay 15000/year full insurance for your 30000THB car, and have the luck in not be in any accident all your life....and save good money. Your choice.

Anyway...Every case is different...I am 2 weeks from 70...and expecting that I will have to look for health insurance to keep my retirement visa some day soon. This one may work for that...no other choices. By the way...Here, in 2012... I had 3 light medical emergencies, costing me more than 20000TH all together in a public hospital....and I was lucky.

I think the thread starter doesn't look at it as an health insurance, he looks at it as an investment.

The insurance pays until 90K per year.

It's very likely that his medical expenses in the next 3 years will be around 90K or more (he's 70 years old).

So, he pays 90K for the insurance in three years and it's very likely that the insurance will pay him 90K or more (up to 270K on 3 years).

Not a bad investment.

Besides that, it's a life insurance, the thread starter indicated that he expects to die within 10 years.

His wife will yet cash from the life insurance part when this happens.

He's end of age range the insurance allows (and he can stay in until 80), so it's likely that it's not such a bad investment.

That said, if the thread starter gets a serious problem, a heart problem, cancer, or any other serious problem old people tend to get, this insurance will not be of much use, because the expenses will be much higher than 90K.

So, look at it as an investment, not an insurance.

It's so easy to say that we should all get good insurances.

Many of us are he on savings.

Many retired or almost retired farang in Thailand are old and have during their life collected some saving and/or property.

That means they have cash/property, but little income.

Paying an insurance every month might not be within their budget (income).

So many of see the cash buffer they have as an insurance.

Is this a bad approach? I think not.

I think the OP got this insurance because it is the only insurance he can get at his age and he is afraid that if immigration insists on proof of insurance for a visa extension he would be f**ked for lack of a better word. This insurance will enable him to stay if such a rule is put in place. It would be nice if the small print overrules preexisting medical conditions.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think the OP got this insurance because it is the only insurance he can get at his age and he is afraid that if immigration insists on proof of insurance for a visa extension he would be f**ked for lack of a better word. This insurance will enable him to stay if such a rule is put in place. It would be nice if the small print overrules preexisting medical conditions.

Issan George.

You are right..if Thai Immiration ask me for health insurance I will be f** now....I do not like surprises, and I here to stay. Probably I will be f** again at 80...but I have more 10 years to get worry about...

Without medical exam and medical records no way a Thai company can find info about any pre-existing conditions, but I will let you know because I am planning in use this insurance soon for a complete check up. In the US, for a self employed, it is practicaly impossible to get private health insurance after 50y.o, and when you apply for it in the US, you also sign authorization to the company to obtain medical records from all your life. Nothing like that was asked by AIA...and that was a surprise considering my age.

Probably this policy do not include many serious illness, like cancer, but..if that happen, or after my 80 birthday, will cost me just the fly ticket to California.to use my free US Social Security Medicare Insurance....not valid outside the country.

• 1 year later...

I will let you know. I will start using it in 30 days....but..tell me ..What you can get in western countries for $90/month? In 2012 I was bite by a street dog, and I have to pay more than 15000THB in a Thai Government hospital for the rabies shots. This insurance covers that...and I still loving dogs and I pet all on my way...some..I take home for a good bath.

Wow, I paid 3,300 baht for 3 shots...

Thinking about this too hard it gets frightening. when end of life stuff comes knocking Thailand ain't the place to be,its far too expensive and the care is just not there, just plan an eventual withdrawal, not wait until things get too bad. Glad I have no house to get shut of,just my dogs,but Ill and get them advertised in UK or US for adoption and pay for the flights,that's it

You are assuming you'll be up and about and able to do such things.

If you are in a serious accident with head injuries, multiple fractures and the like -- or have a sudden stroke -- or any number of other scenarios, this may not be the case. You'll be incapacitated, unable to do anything, and hospital bills will pile up.

You are assuming you'll be up and about and able to do such things.

If you are in a serious accident with head injuries, multiple fractures and the like -- or have a sudden stroke -- or any number of other scenarios, this may not be the case. You'll be incapacitated, unable to do anything, and hospital bills will pile up.

Sheryl, this might be the case,anything might happen,a meteor from space might knock my block off,anything might happen,but to mitigate the possibility I do take care, I have no options available but being here in Thailand at present.

On a personal matter ,yes being an ex member of UK armed forces does give me an escape route from billing for medivac,hospital bills are a concern that's why I concentrate on India for medical matters

From what I see there are thousands ,tens of thousands of over 60s 70s and possibly 80s knocking around,all undoubtedly without medical insurance,in fact some countries do insist on compulsory medical insurance for ex pats,but that requirement is dropped after 65 because its virtually impossible to obtain

Anyway that's it,I'm off to kill myself

How and why did you pay 15000? when each shot is 500-600 baht and from memory you only need 4 or 5

Did you check how much you are covered for?

I am 40 and i pay more than $90 per month,

As Sheryl mentioned, you could have 100 000 baht limit per year in claims, ok may be not that little, but something as low as 500 000 which is about the price of a minor surgery with 1 night stay in a decent hospital

Issan George.

You are right..if Thai Immiration ask me for health insurance I will be f** now....I do not like surprises, and I here to stay. Probably I will be f** again at 80...but I have more 10 years to get worry about...

Without medical exam and medical records no way a Thai company can find info about any pre-existing conditions, but I will let you know because I am planning in use this insurance soon for a complete check up. In the US, for a self employed, it is practicaly impossible to get private health insurance after 50y.o, and when you apply for it in the US, you also sign authorization to the company to obtain medical records from all your life. Nothing like that was asked by AIA...and that was a surprise considering my age.

Probably this policy do not include many serious illness, like cancer, but..if that happen, or after my 80 birthday, will cost me just the fly ticket to California.to use my free US Social Security Medicare Insurance....not valid outside the country.

This is where you are wrong about pre-existing conditions.

1. Insurance company can and does access database of hospitals to see your past history.

2. Insurance company will always ask for Doctors report, where Doctor would clearly stipulate if it was a pre-condition.

3. If there is any doubt in insurance company mind, they simply deny your claim, and then its up to you to prove otherwise.

PS. i asked for quote from AIA, age 40 and it was 46 000 per year ie $110 per month, from memory with 5 000 000 limit per year

The OP has a policy exactly the opposite of what is needed. Most older folks will happily self insure for a couple of million Baht, but it's the HUGE bills that need insurance cover.

+1

And the plan to just fly back to the US for care under Medicare works only for elective things like joint replacements etc or a cancer diagnosis made early enough that you are still ambulatory. A stroke, a heart attack, a major accident and you are unable to fly.

There are policies which will guarantee lifetime coverage. And there are several international expat policies that will enroll people well past 70, in some cases even over 90. Pre-exisitng conditions excluded, of course. People who say that they can't get insurance because of their age have not looked beyond Thai insurers.

The OP has a policy exactly the opposite of what is needed. Most older folks will happily self insure for a couple of million Baht, but it's the HUGE bills that need insurance cover.

+1

And the plan to just fly back to the US for care under Medicare works only for elective things like joint replacements etc or a cancer diagnosis made early enough that you are still ambulatory. A stroke, a heart attack, a major accident and you are unable to fly.

There are policies which will guarantee lifetime coverage. And there are several international expat policies that will enroll people well past 70, in some cases even over 90. Pre-exisitng conditions excluded, of course. People who say that they can't get insurance because of their age have not looked beyond Thai insurers.

Actually I spoke to a specialist about the cost of insuring a flight "home" and it is expensive, but available even for bed-ridden patients depending on the specific condition involved. His comment was that they have had to kidnap patients from private hospitals where treatments of questionable necessity were being administered and the bills were sky-rocketing. This does not only apply to Thailand. The other issue is that a patient must have proper rights to treatment in his home country or transport is not provided.

I've also looked at several offerings for health/accident insurance from international/UK insurers and the devil is in the small print. Pre-existing conditions are not just what you declare on the application form, they are whatever the loss adjuster can dig up on you if you make a claim. Even allowing for that, I could not find any policies that will allow a big excess for a significantly lesser premium. Nothing is truly clear with insurance until you make a claim, but be sure that the underwrites are not in it as a charity. I have spoken to professionals and specialists in the health insurance business and they all agree that the coverage for older folks is sparse and expensive, making repatriation insurance interesting.

The chances are that the best bet is to register yourself with the local government hospital so that things don't go completely crazy in some private hospital chosen by the ambulance driver. Carry the registration card all the time so that it will be found and then the first responders will have to comply. Getting old in a place like Thailand is an expensive business.

+1

They have Sheryl. Neighbour now 73 in good health has had renewal notice of UK based medical insurer of £700 per month for cover,as he states hardly used it in the years he has had it, now dropping it really its getting starved of medical cover by increased charges.

That guy with the cancer in other thread he will be finding out he will have to leave Thailand in the foreseeable future unless hes a millionaire

Anyway medical salvation for me comes in a flight of two hours ,it took 14 hours to get here ,whats another two? but yes in the next week or two after a battery of testing and something is picked up,what to do,operate there or flee the nest in Thailand and head for Spain?

Can't get insurance and don't want to pay the premiums are two very different things.

Premiums do rise with age, no question about it. Also no question that decent health care insurance is a major expense.

But it is a necessary one. The problem with not being insured because the premium is too costly is that anyone who can't afford (or doesn't want to pay for) insurance most definitely cannot afford to pay out of pocket for a major illness or accident.

It would be most useful if people would share any relatively recent quotes they might have. I have not asked for a quote for some years now, but I have very good buddies who work in the international travel health insurance business and they have told me to forget it if your not prepared to pay about ten times your age per month (sterling).

I agree totally with Sheryl about the difference between "unavailable" and "too costly", but I'd point out that this is insurance, and in that world everything is available at a price. Someone who has the income to pay the premiums might take a view that he's better off holding a lump of, for example, 5million Baht against health issues, and top it up regularly as he gets older on the basis that if it doesn't get used, the cash will go to his heirs rather than the insurers. Nothing wrong with that philosophy as long as the lump of cash is at least as big as mentioned, and he can replace it as soon as it is used.

Agreed, but most of the "can't afford insurance" crowd don't have anywhere near that kind of money. The truth is often that some of them could, if they budgeted carefully, afford insurance, but it would mean economizing on other things and they'd really feel the pinch, and they aren't willing to do that. But there is no way on earth they can pay out of pocket for a serious health problem...and they all too often have no real plan other than to hope they somehow magically never get serious ill or have a serious accident. Others truly are living hand to mouth already and can't possibly afford it, and do not want to face the hard truth that they really can't afford to keep living in Thailand.

Unfortunately sooner or later in these cases hit-the-fan.gif

Travel health insurance is a bit different from ongoing expat health insurance. Should note that premiums can be significantly lowered by accepting a deductible and/or copay -- a happy medium between completely self-insuring which most can't afford, and fully insuring, with its high premiums.

Ten times your age per month in pounds sterling is way, way off. First of all, the relationship between age and premium is not linear. Increases in the over 50 age bracket are much steeper than prior to that. Secondly, no way does it cost that much even at the older ages.

For people in say their early 60's , for an internationally issued policy with a modest deductible and copays (which apply only up to a maxiumum), premiums will run between US $2,500 - $5,000 year. Which is nowhere near ten times their age per month.

Some of us don't fall into the category of "ongoing expats" because we travel around a bit, maybe home a few times a year, etc. The insurance cover is usually confined to a country of residence which is not the persons "home" country. Maybe this is why the premiums being quoted are a bit scary.

Archived