Bike to carry over pedestrian bridges

edwardandtubs

A nice folder like a Brompton could be carried over a bridge without folding it. A single speed bike with 700c wheels, chromoly or aluminum frame would be very light also as would a racing bike. You might have to spend 15000 baht up on the single speed and 20-30000 baht plus for a racing bike which feels light and easy to carry over a bridge.

I was in a bike shop recently looking at a Brompton for 17500 baht. There were also some cheaper (Chinese?) bikes that looked very similar for 6-8000. The shop assistant said they were 12 KG but they felt a bit heavier.

I think a lightweight racing bike would be better because you can put it over your shoulder. Hopefully there are cheaper Chinese ones available.

I was in a bike shop recently looking at a Brompton for 17500 baht. There were also some cheaper (Chinese?) bikes that looked very similar for 6-8000. The shop assistant said they were 12 KG but they felt a bit heavier.

I think a lightweight racing bike would be better because you can put it over your shoulder. Hopefully there are cheaper Chinese ones available.

A Brompton for 17500 baht? Its either very used or a chinese copy at that price, cheapest one I found in Thailand is 55k new.

On a side note, it looks like you could make a nice profit buying one in the UK and selling it here! Top spec one with a Titanium fork will set you back 105k THB from a local importer, that'll be the lightest one, but still comes in at almost 11Kg.smile.png Same model in the UK will set you back the equivalent of 60-70k depending on exchange rate.

But back to the original question, another thing for the OP to consider is a Mini Velo, there are some reasonable bikes by Java (chinese brand with an italian design house) starting around the 11k mark, They have 20 inch wheels, same as a folder, but with a more traditional frame shape, so more stable to ride, but with better portability than a bike with 700c wheels.

Some here to get an idea http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=454&t=659154

In the past I found a horizontal cross-bar a great help for carrying the bike over foot-bridges; my mountain bike just now I find quite difficult to carry.

SC

• 3 weeks later...

check out 'velovision' magazine. Find it on-line, even subscribe to the online version if you want.

They have multitudes of mini light weight folders thoughout the many Issues - right up to the biggest recumbents, and everything pretty much in between...

Or

go to www.issuu.com , and search for 'velovision', and find a myriad of similar resourceful material to read on-screen.

• 4 weeks later...