How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I know how you feel.

50% of the time it's OK with me. I give the small children a lot of leeway. Often the same kids giggling "farang, farang" are delighted if I talk to them. It's quite OK with me.

The other 50% of the time it gets on my nerves. It can be used pejoratively, and often it is a racist slur.

I'm not sure I like being refereed to as an Alien either.

• Like 1

Any descriptive word can be used in a derogatory context. It doesn't make the word itself an offensive word.

Since most people complaining about it don't understand Thai well enough to understand the context it's being used in, I think what we're seeing here is mostly either paranoia or some weird desire to claim victim status.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Any descriptive word can be used in a derogatory context. It doesn't make the word itself an offensive word.

Since most people complaining about it don't understand Thai well enough to understand the context it's being used in, I think what we're seeing here is mostly either paranoia or some weird desire to claim victim status.

^ Best post.

Edited by Fellini

"The Thais have never been, nor can they ever be that racist."

So - not sure if allowed to post this - but all the reports of slavery of people from surrounding countries, or very outright determinations of people's status based on their skin colour (look at the skin colouring products in every 7/11) - don't count? Seems hypocritical not to point this out.

You're going back freakin centuries? Seriously?

Let me educate you a bit. One technically can't be racist towards another person of the same race. A dark skin Thai and a light skin Thai are the same race. Get it? Call it what you want, but it's not racism.

As for your example of slavery back in the year 50, unless the Thais were keeping white folks as slaves, I don't think you can define that as racism.

• Like 1

Like I said in another post, it's a shame that Southeast Asians value light skin and want to look like anemic albinos. I've always found dark skin to be a mega turn-on. I love the brown sugar.

Edited by Fellini

"The Thais have never been, nor can they ever be that racist."

So - not sure if allowed to post this - but all the reports of slavery of people from surrounding countries, or very outright determinations of people's status based on their skin colour (look at the skin colouring products in every 7/11) - don't count? Seems hypocritical not to point this out.

You're going back freakin centuries? Seriously?

Let me educate you a bit. One technically can't be racist towards another person of the same race. A dark skin Thai and a light skin Thai are the same race. Get it? Call it what you want, but it's not racism.

As for your example of slavery back in the year 50, unless the Thais were keeping white folks as slaves, I don't think you can define that as racism.

Slavery was outlawed in Thailand in 1900.

"Let me educate you a bit. One technically can't be racist towards another person of the same race. A dark skin Thai and a light skin Thai are the same race. Get it? Call it what you want, but it's not racism."

Sure you can be racist towards people of the same race. "Racism" (a way over-used term) means prejudice or discrimination against another person based on their race. And the different kinds of Tai people (like Lao people, northern Thais, Issan people, Bangkokians, southern Thais, etc.) may be genetically the same but culturally and in practice are not the same race. I recommend you talk to some Shan people up in north Thailand (part of the Tai group of people but mostly in Shan State, NE Myanmar), a lot of them have good English and one told me directly, "we used to be brothers with the Thais, but now they own us", they can't return home due to civil war/abuse by Burmese authorities and don't have rights here so are effectively slaves. Also friends from other parts of Burma said they are explicitly treated differently (ie: lower) by Thai authorities based on how they look. Also check out the reports about CP practices if you think slavery was actually outlawed here.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Thai is not a single race, but a multi racial country.

It's quite possible for a Thai of Chinese ethnic background to be a racist towards a Thai or Indian ethnic background. Not to mention all the assorted Burmese, Malay, Khmer, Issan, Lanna and hill tribe ethnic backgrounds.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

"Let me educate you a bit. One technically can't be racist towards another person of the same race. A dark skin Thai and a light skin Thai are the same race. Get it? Call it what you want, but it's not racism."

Sure you can be racist towards people of the same race. "Racism" (a way over-used term) means prejudice or discrimination against another person based on their race. And the different kinds of Tai people (like Lao people, northern Thais, Issan people, Bangkokians, southern Thais, etc.) may be genetically the same but culturally and in practice are not the same race. I recommend you talk to some Shan people up in north Thailand (part of the Tai group of people but mostly in Shan State, NE Myanmar), a lot of them have good English and one told me directly, "we used to be brothers with the Thais, but now they own us", they can't return home due to civil war/abuse by Burmese authorities and don't have rights here so are effectively slaves. Also friends from other parts of Burma said they are explicitly treated differently (ie: lower) by Thai authorities based on how they look. Also check out the reports about CP practices if you think slavery was actually outlawed here.

What is a CP?

To be honest it took me a while to get my head around it, and I never really found it funny. For mine originally it was no worse than calling me a n####er totally out of order and abhorrent as well .Then I learnt over time that you can't change Thai's and you will always be called farang and not to take it to heart, even though in most countries referring to you and your skin colour that way may not just be excused because you were in a foreign country. Certainly it wouldn't be accepted to call you what could be seen as a derogatory term and then laughing about it, just to put things in perspective.. I can cop it from kids or those that don't know me but I still take offense when sitting in a family group or party or gathering, I am speaking near fluent Thai and they full well know my name and I am still referred to as farang or "my wife's name" farang. They are family and friends they know my name it is a sign of respect to address someone accordingly particularly in a country that puts so much stock in face and station. Like others have said what if you were calling them nips or slopes or dum, or to put it in context if I was back in Aus and my wife was introduced as "oh that's starky's asian/slope/nip/ yellow bird", I wouldn't tolerate from my family and it is clearly not kosher, but TIT so sometimes you just have to eat shit and smile about it.

• Like 2

Some people here seem to desperately want the word to be offensive. Do you crave the experience of being discriminated against for some reason?

It's just a descriptive word. No more than that.

It is in fact, JUST THAT.

Using the word "farang" all the time, when they refer to us, MAKES IT ALOT EASIER to discriminate against us. It is a way to de humanizing us.

The term in itself is not meant to harm, BUT IT DOES, for the reason I just explained.

Total and utter crap.I bet you believe princessdai was murdered and 9/11,was americans doing

• Like 1

Just my opinion but i think thais consciously or unconciously think they are the "beas knees" you know the best thing since sliced bread,not quite the master race but they tend too look down on all other races whether chinese,japanese,westerners,arabs,indians etc.but to their credit they are happy to let us all come here providing we use the correct visas and do not abuse the system or their hospitality.Of course it is worse for them in the tourist areas where we tend to overwhelm them with our presence.

Is n't it just like back home when too many immigrants appear and congrugate on mass in certain locations..........it unsettles the locals who want them to intergrate and learn to become like them.

One day we might find the thai authorities demand that we all learn thai language as part of our obligations if we want to live here.

i think one day we will have to speak thai better,stop me being lazy

tl;dr

itt: a bunch of old crackers express their butthurt and complain of perceived 'reverse racism'. Sensitive much?

I wouldn't be offended by it, just as I don't consider 'Cabin in the Sky'-style characterizations of Afro-Americans to be offensive. Shut up, honky. wink.png

It's not the old crackers I don't think. How old is ayayay? The old crackers IMO are fine with it.

• Like 1

Is n't it just like back home when too many immigrants appear and congrugate on mass in certain locations..........it unsettles the locals who want them to intergrate and learn to become like them.

I dispute that,

No Thai wants a foreigner to integrate, just hand over all your money and either 1) die, or 2) leave.

Same as the USA, none of the whites want the non-whites to integrate, they just want them gone.

Difference being, in the USA foreigners can become citizens.

To be honest it took me a while to get my head around it, and I never really found it funny. For mine originally it was no worse than calling me a n####er totally out of order and abhorrent as well .Then I learnt over time that you can't change Thai's and you will always be called farang and not to take it to heart, even though in most countries referring to you and your skin colour that way may not just be excused because you were in a foreign country. Certainly it wouldn't be accepted to call you what could be seen as a derogatory term and then laughing about it, just to put things in perspective.. I can cop it from kids or those that don't know me but I still take offense when sitting in a family group or party or gathering, I am speaking near fluent Thai and they full well know my name and I am still referred to as farang or "my wife's name" farang. They are family and friends they know my name it is a sign of respect to address someone accordingly particularly in a country that puts so much stock in face and station. Like others have said what if you were calling them nips or slopes or dum, or to put it in context if I was back in Aus and my wife was introduced as "oh that's starky's asian/slope/nip/ yellow bird", I wouldn't tolerate from my family and it is clearly not kosher, but TIT so sometimes you just have to eat shit and smile about it.

I agree, if they know your name and close family, then no need for it.I wonder how black people think when they here a thai say farang dam, chocolate man, and negro,and i totaly believe nothing racist about these terms, no more than farang.

• Like 1

I dispute that,

No Thai wants a foreigner to integrate, just hand over all your money and either 1) die, or 2) leave.

Same as the USA, none of the whites want the non-whites to integrate, they just want them gone.

I dispute that. They want my children. Maybe not me. But my children are integration for sure.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Thai is not a single race, but a multi racial country.

It's quite possible for a Thai of Chinese ethnic background to be a racist towards a Thai or Indian ethnic background. Not to mention all the assorted Burmese, Malay, Khmer, Issan, Lanna and hill tribe ethnic backgrounds.

What in God's name are you talking about? You're trying to redefine the concept of race? If you want to talk about discrimination, that's fine. But you nutters are trying to change the definition of racism so that you can call Thais racist. Give it up already.

I dispute that,

That's how you see things? Well that's pretty telling.

I dispute that,

Yes, I am not white, yes, most whites in the USA didn't want me around.

That's not how I saw it, it was just the way things were.

You may wish to fight against reality, but I don't feel that to be worthwhile.

Any descriptive word can be used in a derogatory context. It doesn't make the word itself an offensive distinguishing between a "descriptive word" and a "derogatory word?" It would appear so.

@SB

Let's see you use the descriptive words "Tall" or "Handsome" or "slim" in a derogatory context?

(go on then!)

Sometimes I feel the word is used to dehumanize me.

As in; There are people on the one hand and then a sub-human species of inferior creatures called farangs... or Aliens.

A good thick skin is my cure for the bad feelings I sometimes have about being called "the farang."

Any descriptive word can be used in a derogatory context. It doesn't make the word itself an offensive distinguishing between a "descriptive word" and a "derogatory word?" It would appear so.

@SB

Let's see you use the descriptive words "Tall" or "Handsome" or "slim" in a derogatory context?

(go on then!)

Easy.

> Damn tall-ass. What on earth have you been eating?

> Hey, handsome. You could hit up all the guys in the neighborhood with that pretty face of yours.

> Yo Slim, why don't you go get a burger or something? Ethiopian kids have meat on you.

Edited by Fellini

I dispute that,

Yes, I am not white, yes, most whites in the USA didn't want me around.

That's not how I saw it, it was just the way things were.

You may wish to fight against reality, but I don't feel that to be worthwhile.

Fight against reality? That's actually pretty appropriate for this thread. A whole country of Thais don't think there's anything wrong with their word "farang" and will never stop using. And many of us agree with that sentiment. Yet, a few on this thread are attempting to "fight against reality."