How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

It's not rare to actually see parents teaching their very young kids to point at Farang and say "Farang".

Once it was like a toddler may be not even year old, and both his parents were desperately training him to say "farang" while pointing at me.

Not in a matter of fact way, (like they would just tell him what he sees: this is an apple/tree/car)

It was very much told in a negative tone.

I really pity the kids, told to despise people so early.

My toddler taught me to point at any big mechanical vehicle and shout "boo boo".

• Like 1

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a word. It can only offend you if you allow it to. I come from what is arguably the most politically correct country in the world and having to dance around descriptive language is a pain sometimes.

When my son was five, he got hauled into the principal's office because he had put his arm up against another child's arm and said "Your skin is blacker than mine. I wonder why?" and the other kid yelled "That's racist!" I had to come up to the school and explain that he didn't mean anything racist, he was just wondering why people have different skin tones. My son was totally bewildered and had NO idea what he had done wrong. But, the other kid had apparently been taught from an early age that anything related to color is racist. Guess what, it's not. If it's used as a description and not in a derogatory way, it's not a racist comment.

I imagine that the Thai kids are using it as a descriptive term. And even if they're not, it's not something you're going to change, so just go with it and don't take it personally.

• Like 1

Saeb, Chawalla, punkawalla.

Indeed it is very interesting to recall who 'invented' these insulting terms (of which some terms are not allowed to be mentioned).

This is history sort of repeating itself in a different way and very mildly too.

It is very easy to insult another person.

But when the insult is aimed at oneself, it hurts terribly.

Never bothered me, things like that are only a problem if you allow them to be.

As with most, its not whats said but how its said.

Khun Ronald ... you are a Rodant with wiseness beyound your ears years.

Get his name right Dave, it's Roland!!

... opps, my bad ... sorry.gif

Saeb, Chawalla, punkawalla.

Indeed it is very interesting to recall who 'invented' these insulting terms (of which some terms are not allowed to be mentioned).

This is history sort of repeating itself in a different way and very mildly too.

It is very easy to insult another person.

But when the insult is aimed at oneself, it hurts terribly.

punka walla

I thought this was the name for the guy pulling the strings to wave the big overhead fan (flag style).

I wasn't aware it was anything apart from a job description.

Never heard of the other two names.

OK, OK

Chai Wallah, another job description, this one makes tea, usually as a street vendor.

(You confused me by Cha-wallah)

http://chaipilgrimage.com/blogs/journal/8413337-what-is-a-chai-wallah

It's just a word. It can only offend you if you allow it to. I come from what is arguably the most politically correct country in the world and having to dance around descriptive language is a pain sometimes.

When my son was five, he got hauled into the principal's office because he had put his arm up against another child's arm and said "Your skin is blacker than mine. I wonder why?" and the other kid yelled "That's racist!" I had to come up to the school and explain that he didn't mean anything racist, he was just wondering why people have different skin tones. My son was totally bewildered and had NO idea what he had done wrong. But, the other kid had apparently been taught from an early age that anything related to color is racist. Guess what, it's not. If it's used as a description and not in a derogatory way, it's not a racist comment.

I imagine that the Thai kids are using it as a descriptive term. And even if they're not, it's not something you're going to change, so just go with it and don't take it personally.

Agree descriptive terms are fine, we need them. " You know Rob, he's the black guy..."But saying " Black person" when he walks into a room, is that polite? No , It isn't and neither is the slang term for Caucasian in just that same circumstance.

You didn't finish the story- was your kid actually punished? Or did the school understand once you explained what happened ? They have an obligation to check out a student's accusations of racism is my point, even if it did not occur

Agree descriptive terms are fine, we need them. " You know Rob, he's the black guy..."But saying " Black person" when he walks into a room, is that polite? No , It isn't and neither is the slang term for Caucasian in just that same circumstance.

You didn't finish the story- was your kid actually punished? Or did the school understand once you explained what happened ? They have an obligation to check out a student's accusations of racism is my point, even if it did not occur

Chinese don't go around calling themselves Chinese American same as all other races except black people. I'm an African African 5555555.

First, if you can't see already that the use of "farang" is wrong, there is no hope for you to ever understand anything. So just give up.

If you do see it, yes it is not offensive, but it makes Thais look juvenile and low class.

I don't understand how this stuff does not sink in anymore. You guys are here for a reason, you could not figure out simple things in your own country and had to get out - and stay out.

Thais are very biased when it comes to the ways in which they refer to people, ie the term farang. Similarly, they also have very politically incorrect views of people with much darker skin. I think we all can agree on this.

Does it offend me? Not really. Are the Thais idiotic for letting these judgments permeate through society without actively correcting the problem through education. Hell yes they are. End.

• Like 1

The term "Farang" or spoken word "Falang" is a term used without thought

of its origin,

Term used to describe the US army during much of there involvement

in war in Thailand 40 years ago.

It is "White Devil", try calling a colored person N---A and see how they like it.

Its exactly the same a word that should not be used.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First, if you can't see already that the use of "farang" is wrong, there is no hope for you to ever understand anything. So just give up.

If you do see it, yes it is not offensive, but it makes Thais look juvenile and low class.

I don't understand how this stuff does not sink in anymore. You guys are here for a reason, you could not figure out simple things in your own country and had to get out - and stay out.

Thais are very biased when it comes to the ways in which they refer to people, ie the term farang. Similarly, they also have very politically incorrect views of people with much darker skin. I think we all can agree on this.

Does it offend me? Not really. Are the Thais idiotic for letting these judgments permeate through society without actively correcting the problem through education. Hell yes they are. End.

First, if you can't see that there is nothing offensive about the use of the word "farang," there is no hope for you to ever understand anything. So just give up. Seriously, give it up. Because the rest of your diatribe is nothing more than racist nonsense.

• Like 2

of its origin,

It is "White Devil", try calling a colored person N---A and see how they like it.

Strange post, what's farang got to do with white devil.

What's the difference between farang and the spoken word falang.?

of its origin,

You did know that Thailand and the Farang were on the same side in that war didn't you?

Its just anoying when you here the word farang and you are the only foreigner there. You know then they are talking about you. Its just rude in that instance. The word is ingrained in their language so get used to it. But it does make you turn your head to where the word was spoken. Kon dang chat means foreigner.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

of its origin,

Farang does not mean White Devil.

You a probably mixing this up with the term used for Westerners in Hong Kong is Gweilo, which can be translated to foriegn Devil or White Ghost.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but the origin of the word came from maybe the first white Europeans that came to Thailand the French and were called Farangset. So I was told a long time ago so all the rest of us were labeled withe the shortened version Farang. I don't know if this is true or not.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Chicken George

Unvelievable, where did this take place.

Mccarthyism at its best, instead of reds under the bed, its now farangs under the bed.

How the heck can you check out something that didnt happen?

Would that be the 42-45 or the 65-71

There were no Farangs in Thailand from 1942 to 1945. The British occupied parts of Thailand in 1946.

You wrote, "Term used to describe the US army during much of there involvement in war in Thailand 40 years ago."

I wrote, "You did know that Thailand and the Farang were on the same side in that war didn't you?"

40 years ago was in the 1960's. To correct you. Thais did not insult us in the 1960's and 1970's we were on the same side and also paid the bills.

Edited by thailiketoo

Would that be the 42-45 or the 65-71

There were no Farangs in Thailand from 1942 to 1945. The British occupied parts of Thailand in 1946.

You wrote, "Term used to describe the US army during much of there involvement in war in Thailand 40 years ago."

I wrote, "You did know that Thailand and the Farang were on the same side in that war didn't you?"

40 years ago was in the 1960's. To correct you. Thais did not insult us in the 1960's and 1970's we were on the same side and also paid the bills.

'no Farangs' ... not even one?

No Crusaders?

No Bible Sellers.

Not even an Encyclopaedia salesman?

Say it isn't so ... facepalm.gif

Thailand is a deeply deeply racist country and that runs through all levels of society.

It always amuses me when Westerners insist that Thailand is a racist country. I happen to be blessed with non-white skin, and I do not share the view that Thailand is a racist country in the least. I have been coming to Thailand for close to 30 years, and I would say that any racism which has creeped into the Thai consciousness is directly attributable to the influence of Western media and how non-whites are portrayed in the news and movies.

One of the primary reasons I moved here was to escape Western racism. I feel incredibly racially and socially comfortable and at-home here. If Thailand is a racist country, I'll take Thai racism over Western racism any day of the week!

• Like 2

42-45 WW11 65-71 Vietnam look it up and see why they call us Farang/Falang

and why it should never be spoken!

I was here for the Vietnam war. You're nuts. Thais treated us very well. There were no Farang here 42 to 45 so you are nuts about that too.

• Like 2

42-45 WW11 65-71 Vietnam look it up and see why they call us Farang/Falang

and why it should never be spoken!

So it's ok to call people dago but not falung? Another Nob.

• Like 1

Thailand is a deeply deeply racist country and that runs through all levels of society.

It always amuses me when Westerners insist that Thailand is a racist country. I happen to be blessed with non-white skin, and I do not share the view that Thailand is a racist country in the least. I have been coming to Thailand for close to 30 years, and I would say that any racism which has creeped into the Thai consciousness is directly attributable to the influence of Western media and how non-whites are portrayed in the news and movies.

One of the primary reasons I moved here was to escape Western racism. I feel incredibly racially and socially comfortable and at-home here. If Thailand is a racist country, I'll take Thai racism over Western racism any day of the week!

Well said. I don't think Thais even know what the word "racist" means because there is no historical context. But that word, spoken in the USA, holds deep meaning because of America's racist past. Real, ugly, evil sort of racism. The Thais have never been, nor can they ever be that racist. So none of this has anything to do with the Thais. But it seems that certain farangs want to bring their baggage to Thailand and apply their nonsensical views on the Thais. Thankfully, the Thais have enough sense to ignore this silliness.

"The Thais have never been, nor can they ever be that racist."

So - not sure if allowed to post this - but all the reports of slavery of people from surrounding countries, or very outright determinations of people's status based on their skin colour (look at the skin colouring products in every 7/11) - don't count? Seems hypocritical not to point this out.

• Like 1