How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

I have always had the feeling there is a racist element when we are called Farang, I am used to it and my Wife knows I don't like it, personally I think it is very ignorant and lazy and insulting, but its never going to change so if we want to live here, we must live with IT

I am sure you are completely wrong.

How do I know this?

Because I am sure I know the people who refer to me as a Farang.

I also know the farang who refer to themselves as farang.

And I know myself what I mean when I refer to myself as a farang.

It is also defined in plenty of books.

And it has been used correctly in Thailand for many years.

You may think whatever you think about it, however if you want to know what most Thai think of the word, then you should check a few dictionaries, do a survey, or read the surveys of others.

Some scholars might argue differently, but I do not agree with them.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it fine.

In Thailand, I refer to myself as "farang",

Just so people here will know who I am talking about.

Now, I refer to myself as farang on social media sites around the world.

Sometimes people get confused.

No, problem.

I know it is not a racially charged term.

It is enough for me to know, and for them to learn.

Do you not have one single farang friend to hang out with?

If so, do you call yourself Farang me, and Farang him?

I do not use the term that way.

"I would say that most farang are not born in Thailand", for example.

Or I might say: As a farang, I share many of the same restrictions as other foreigners.

I could say: Of the foreigners attending the lecture, how many are farang?

------

Does that help you out?

I like it fine.

No, problem.

Or I might say: As a farang, I share many of the same restrictions as other foreigners.

------

Does that help you out?

I just would say I have never referred to myself as a Farang. I might think I could have talked on behalf of farangs. I have never talked of myself in the third person.

The Farang would like a beer?

I use the word Farang to refer to myself or people I know all the time. It's quite a handy word when referring to somebody who isn't Thai. Most Farang I know do the same, and none of them seem to think there's anything offensive about it.

• Like 1

I use the word Farang to refer to myself or people I know all the time. It's quite a handy word when referring to somebody who isn't Thai. Most Farang I know do the same, and none of them seem to think there's anything offensive about it.

Incredible. In 18 years I never referred to myself as a farang. I might have talked about farangs as a loose group, but never myself.

Truly weird. I am really trying to think where I have ever heard a person talk about a Farang as referring to them self as "I". I am trying to think of where my wife would refer to herself as the "Thai person".

I agree. It's just another way to bash thais by the same old crew.

I like it fine.

No, problem.

------

Does that help you out?

I just would say I have never referred to myself as a Farang. I might think I could have talked on behalf of farangs. I have never talked of myself in the third person.

The Farang would like a beer?

I would not use Farang that way,

I would say ---

Please do not put too much chili in the food, since half are farang and normally prefer their meals less spicy.

"Thai people put a lot of chili in their food, but as I'm a farang I don't like it quite as spicy".

Speak for yourself, the stuff is addictive and if I go without I begin to crave it.

Well then, here is an excellent opportunity to enlighten the doubters who have expressed their doubts regarding whether we farange actually use the term "farang" to refer to ourselves.

I am a farang, and I say the following:

It is true what you imply that, just because you are a farang, it is incorrect for the other farang to imply, as well, that "he does not like it quite as spicy" BECAUSE he is a farang. In fact, as a farang myself, I definitely agree with you that is possible for me to be a farang and also a chilli lover, which I most certainly am. And, having been a farang eater of chili in Asia, where I have often eaten with non-farang, I have been surprised to find that some farang, like myself, seem to eat food which is even spicier than is the norm for many Asians. This all proves the point that you can take the farang out of his home, which is usually a western country, but you cannot cure his addiction to chili, since some farang food is even spicier than Asian food, and therefore some farang may have become addicted to chili while eating it in farang food.

So says this farang here, anyway, and I do hope both you farang out there, as well as any kon Thai readers, will appreciate the logic of this comment, written by this humble farang commenter.

So, really there is nothing new here.

And, it is all logical based on linguistic principals and history of farang experience with the term farang, in this land of Kon Thai, who gladly welcome the farang to their great non-farang land, by which I mean non-western land.

Done.

Edited by GLOPglopMAmaTONG
  • Like 1

Incredible. In 18 years I never referred to myself as a farang. I might have talked about farangs as a loose group, but never myself.

Truly weird. I am really trying to think where I have ever heard a person talk about a Farang as referring to them self as "I". I am trying to think of where my wife would refer to herself as the "Thai person".

My house is known in our village as Ban Farang and my street as Soi Farang. If my wife tells a taxi driver where to go she says Ban Farang. When the Vet comes to visit our dog she says to her staff, "I'm going to Ban Farang."

Edited by thailiketoo

thais refer to themselves as khon thai all the time in foreign countries

Khon Thai (person Thai) When have you ever heard a Thai person refer to someone as Khon Farang?

Farang, non entity. Same as the Thai insult Mun (it).

Even if not used as a slur, those whose native tounge is Thai on a basic level know it's disrespectful.

But I ain't perfect either.

Khon Thai (person Thai) When have you ever heard a Thai person refer to someone as Khon Farang?

Even if not used as a slur, those whose native tounge is Thai on a basic level know it's disrespectful.

I used the word Khon. they usually dont. and I know plenty of native thais and they do NOT consider it disrespectful.

Your level of Thai is obviously at that beginner stage, where you get all in a huff over things you think you understand.

Edited by Deacon Bell
  • Like 1

Your level of Thai is obviously at that beginner stage, where you get all in a huff over things you think you understand.

I don't get in a huf about it.

I use the word myself when referring to groups of foreigners with my wife.

Just my opinion on it. It is what it is.

I don't get in a huf about it.

I use the word myself when referring to groups of foreigners to my wife.

Just my opinion on it. It is what it is.

I think the term is funny. Instead of farang I will joke with my girlfriend and use the term falang.

We were in the mall and my girl said "look old man falang." Or she might say in a funny voice " you is stupid falang." I don't get offended.

I'm not white, but I don't call white people farang, as I am both civilized and educated.

The kids in the street shouting farang, explanation for that please?

One that hopefully differers from mine, "ha ha ha look at the cripple, spastic, retard/etc."

The explanation is it doesn't mean anything. You have to believe that. Problem is most foreigners can't speak Thai but they hear Falung, Falung uttered repeatedly and this annoys them. I was annoyed too when I first came to Thailand.

Learn some Thai and it will all go away I promise you.

Twaddle.

There are times when it is used in quite an insulting manner. Its just a lazy way to group people together. Thais wouldn't like to be grouped in conversation in a language unknown to them that dehumanised them, so do unto other is what I say.

My wife had NEVER uttered the word in my presence in or out of company. I have a name, not a race

So how does your wife tell you she just saw a foreigner with his Thai wife? Does she refer to him as a (foreigner) chaw tang chat (ชาวต่างชาติ)? As a white guy (คนผิวขาว)? I've rarely heard a Thai use either of these words to describe a foreigner.

"Farang" is nothing more than colloquial shorthand for "westerner." It can be used derogatorily, in the same way as someone could say "$&*$@ foreigners." I agree that chaw tang chat is more polite than calling someone a farang, but IMHO anyone who claims that the word "farang" is inherently insulting, pejorative or dehumanizing, doesn't know what they are talking about. If anyone is truly annoyed by being called farang, I would say that Thais are doing this because they don't know your name. Introduce yourself, and the problem will slowly go away, at least with the people you see on a regular basis.

Another poster was incredulous that a foreigner would refer to him or herself as a farang. I have been known to do this. For example, suppose I am calling a Thai person who I have met before, but am calling for the first time. Because they can't see me, and may be initially confused about who is calling, I will identify myself as "the farang who lives in ...." I also use the term to refer to myself in sentences like "As a farang, I am hesitant to get involved in Thai politics," or "As a farang, I feel safe in Thailand."

very well put

Assuming you can understand a little Thai, if you are presented to two Thais, and everything is equal except one is saying "farang" in every other sentence, and the other isn't, it speaks volumes about her character. In my opinion, one is going to come off as more refined, sophisticated, educated, perhaps polite. The other is going to come off more like a bafoon. If they don't really care about being seen like this, have at it, and let the bafoonery continue.

Assuming you can understand a little Thai, if you are presented to two Thais, and everything is equal except one is saying "farang" in every other sentence, and the other isn't, it speaks volumes about her character. In my opinion, one is going to come off as more refined, sophisticated, educated, perhaps polite. The other is going to come off more like a bafoon. If they don't really care about being seen like this, have at it, and let the bafoonery continue.

so what word is the polite one using instead?

so what word is the polite one using instead?

Don't worry Jaydee, this snake guy is clueless beyond hope. I've never even met a Thai who says farang "in every other sentence." But to judge a Thai based on whether or not they use this innocuous Thai word? The sheer stupidity of that is breathtakingly off-the-charts.

• Like 2

Those of you who're convinced the word is offensive - where did you get this idea from? Did somebody actually tell you it was an offensive term? Or is it based on something like 'A Thai person looked at me funny whilst saying it'?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Will you dickos please get it straight? If I was in Africa I wouldn't say "That black guy over there" Because they are nearly all black. I'd say the one with the red cap or the one with whatever.

Bloody Hell!

• Like 1