How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

If you don't want to be a farang. Lean how to speak thai and explain that your a not farang in thai

Not like being called "falang"and being able to speak Thai aren't mutually exclusive, there are plenty of people with that ability on this forum I believe...

I find the best thing to do is not let on you can speak Thai at all, then when something questionable is said about you, you pull out the Thai....its a great feeling..

That is exactly the annoying racism in being called Farang/Falang a twenty year expat

is still considerd "he is only a farang" by people who in most part are younger this is what makes it wrong if your are caucasian you are Farang simple regardless if you speek

fluent Thai, this is what makes it offensive.

Farang is Farang, Tourist is Tourist, Tourist is Farang, Farang is Tourist

Racial profiling is what it is, "That is why a black man is not called Farang"

Are you sure you know what racism is.

Western black men in Thailand are called farang dam.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't like it at all, it feels like segregation...you are not one of us...you are a stranger.....for the usual polite way, this word isn't and it classifies all of us as strangers, foreigners in their land.

But we are foreigners in their land. What is so hard to embrace about that? Thailand is not a melting pot like the US. You are either fully Thai, thai chinese, thai Indian, Nippon, Korean, or fareng. So what?

• Like 1

If you don't want to be a farang. Lean how to speak thai and explain that your a not farang in thai

Not like being called "falang"and being able to speak Thai aren't mutually exclusive, there are plenty of people with that ability on this forum I believe...

I find the best thing to do is not let on you can speak Thai at all, then when something questionable is said about you, you pull out the Thai....its a great feeling..

That is exactly the annoying racism in being called Farang/Falang a twenty year expat

is still considerd "he is only a farang" by people who in most part are younger this is what makes it wrong if your are caucasian you are Farang simple regardless if you speek

fluent Thai, this is what makes it offensive.

Farang is Farang, Tourist is Tourist, Tourist is Farang, Farang is Tourist

Racial profiling is what it is, "That is why a black man is not called Farang"

Are you sure you know what racism is.

Western black men in Thailand are called farang dam.

Amongst other things they are called yes...whistling.gif

• Like 1

Don't like it at all, it feels like segregation...you are not one of us...you are a stranger.....for the usual polite way, this word isn't and it classifies all of us as strangers, foreigners in their land.

We are foreigners in their land. Not much you can do about that, other than go home if you can't handle it.

• Like 1

You ARE a foreigner in their land, plain and simple fact.

Who cares? Na Na Na Na Na. Like a bunch of thin skinned kids. Be a man. Act like a man. Men are not insulted by being called a fareng. It means foreigner. You are a foreigner here. You will never be a Thai. Never. If you devoted your life to reading and writing Thai, became fluent, and got permanent residency, you would still not be a Thai. So, why try to be one? What does it matter if someone calls you a foreigner? Man up. Grow thicker skin. Practice some kind of affirmation, and figure out how to make your heart stronger. But, for Gods sake, please stop bitching about being called a foreigner.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Works for me. I'm deaf so they can say anything they like. Life goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be deaf in Thailand. No loud music, no soap operas blaring at restaurants, no loud movies in mini vans, no barking dogs, roosters, etc. The noise level here is occasionally grating. But, only occasionally.

ROOSTERS?

We are foreigners in their land. Not much you can do about that, other than go home if you can't handle it.

That is correct.

We are foreigners.

I have been a foreigner in strange lands for 40 years.

I like it.

But, that is not why they call me Farang.

And, most foreigners in Thailand are not Farang.

I do not necessarily like BEING a Farang.

I am glad I am not a glop of chewing gum, for example.

But, living in Asia, it would be better not to be Farang.

Farang, the name, is fine with me.

You look like Soldier Schweik on that Bike.

Edited by GLOPglopMAmaTONG

That is correct.

We are foreigners.

I have been a foreigner in strange lands for 40 years.

I like it.

But, that is not why they call me Farang.

And, most foreigners in Thailand are not Farang.

I do not necessarily like BEING a Farang.

I am glad I am not a glop of chewing gum, for example.

But, living in Asia, it would be better not to be Farang.

Farang, the name, is fine with me.

You look like Soldier Schweik on that Bike.[/quote

I am a white foreigner in both countrys that i live.

In Thailand i am Farang/Falang caucasian or white person = racist slur.

In Indonesia i am "Only a Bule" again caucasian or white person = racist slur.

"If i dont like it i can leave" as has been advised by my fellow caucasian board

members clearly.

And that is what i do, 3 3 3 & 3 allthough in either country i have no rights other

than the right to use the ATMs and spend my mulla.

The earlyer post that stated you are not Thai and never will be "duh" thats obviouse

and being Thai or Indonesian is not my intent, diversity is what makes a country great

In Thailand there is great diversity, racerelations is all that is lacking as is the case in

the other. But as the saying goes "you make the bed in that you sleep".

Wrong. That's why I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post--assume it must be the same ridiculous nonsense.

And do you have an interpretation for us to debate?

Wrong. That's why I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post--assume it must be the same ridiculous nonsense.

And do you have an interpretation for us to debate?

Farang simply means a person of European descent (or Caucasian). It has nothing to do with skin color--that's a farang invention. If Thais wanted to call farangs "white people," they would say "khon kaow." But they don't.

The word "farang" is no more racist than the words "Asian" or "Hispanic." Any questions?

I really hope this thread will be shut down soon. It's only the non Thai speakers that seem offended.

If you're Irish people call you Paddy or Mick until they get to know you better. If you're Scottish - Jock. American - Yank. English - Limey or Pom.

These are not blatant racist expressions but they are thrown around until you become friends.

Falung ranks about the same. If you really are that sensitive seek medical help.

• Like 1

So for instance if your somewhere having a coffee or out and about with your lokal

female half you find it completly ok that you are pointed out, as the Farang /caucasian

or the double head turn of "look look" a side show freak, or as if you are something

special that needs the recognition of existance.

I am called Farang ok, that happens, but when a person goes out of there way to treat

me as somthing different "What else could that be" other than racism???

So for instance if your somewhere having a coffee or out and about with your lokal

female half you find it completly ok that you are pointed out, as the Farang /caucasian

or the double head turn of "look look" a side show freak, or as if you are something

I am called Farang ok, that happens, but when a person goes out of there way to treat

It could be you smell bad or dress odd or walk silly.

Edited by thailiketoo

Bert it all depends where you are and what you are doing. You may be the first Falung they've ever seen and Thais have all heard a lot of stories about Falungs buying cars and houses etc. If you think racism is differentiating between races you are not correct. Racism is treating unfairly or withholding advantage from people because of their race.

All I can say is learn to speak Thai and they'll stop calling you Falung.

I really hope this thread will be shut down soon. It's only the non Thai speakers that seem offended.

If you're Irish people call you Paddy or Mick until they get to know you better. If you're Scottish - Jock. American - Yank. English - Limey or Pom.

These are not blatant racist expressions but they are thrown around until you become friends.

Falung ranks about the same. If you really are that sensitive seek medical help.

The difference is that we generally don't call Jocks that when they can hear.

If you learn Thai, you learn how racist farang is

They never say khon farang(white person), like they do other races. They say "farang" or " farang mun" if they don't know we speak the language. Mun is really derogatory and racist. Whites and blacks are called mun.

Rember this ? This is what we all replied to a discussion thread on a topik for debate,

where one asks and members join the discussion, Expat888 do you remember your post

no:3 It's not meant to be nice, The us against them mentality.

And on the Government policy to stop foreign investors pushing prices up "agree"

as is the situation in Bali. "Crazy"

Racism is treating unfairly "as in double priceing" or withholding advantage from people because of their race. " Yet a foreigner may not own land in his own name" not raceism ey ?

What race can't buy property? I know a number of white Thai people who can buy property. I know a number of Thai black people who can buy property. I know a number of Thai Chinese people who can buy property.

The difference is that we generally don't call Jocks that when they can hear.

If you learn Thai, you learn how racist farang is

They never say khon farang(white person), like they do other races. They say "farang" or " farang mun" if they don't know we speak the language. Mun is really derogatory and racist. Whites and blacks are called mun.

True. Indians also. Thai kids call their teachers "mun" too. Similar to 'that c*n*' in Scotland. Edited by Neeranam