How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a little kid called you a guava and you called him a monkey?

Wonderful.

Like I said, I have no problem with it. Monkey was not intended as a racial term, I call my own son a little monkey from time to time.

My only problem is with the double standard whites.

What do you mean double standard whites?

A Monkey thinks it is more superior that a human at swinging in trees, so a monkey is a racist.laugh.pnglaugh.png

There are people who make up anti national or anti race terms and when the persons ridiculed take offense the perpetrator (not you) tells the mocked people that they don't have a sense of humor. However;

The terms pommy, pommie and pom, in Australia and New Zealand usually denotes an English person (or, less commonly, people from other parts of the UK). After complaints to the Australian Advertising Standards Board about five advertisements poking fun at "Poms",[8] the Board ruled (in 2006) that these words are not offensive. The New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority made a similar ruling in 2010.

I would think Farang is no more or less offensive that pom. It is a made up word and not in the same class as monkey or ape or porch monkey or any such derogatory (critical or disrespectful), racial stereotypic pejorative word. Calling me a Yank is fine but when it is reduced to Septic Tank it becomes onerous. I find Yank, Pom and Farang all in the same class although Farang probably has more in common with Gringo.

A Monkey thinks it is more superior that a human at swinging in trees, so a monkey is a racist.laugh.pnglaugh.png

There are people who make up anti national or anti race terms and when the persons ridiculed take offense the perpetrator (not you) tells the mocked people that they don't have a sense of humor. However;

The terms pommy, pommie and pom, in Australia and New Zealand usually denotes an English person (or, less commonly, people from other parts of the UK). After complaints to the Australian Advertising Standards Board about five advertisements poking fun at "Poms",[8] the Board ruled (in 2006) that these words are not offensive. The New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority made a similar ruling in 2010.

I would think Farang is no more or less offensive that pom. It is a made up word and not in the same class as monkey or ape or porch monkey or any such derogatory (critical or disrespectful), racial stereotypic pejorative word. Calling me a Yank is fine but when it is reduced to Septic Tank it becomes onerous. I find Yank, Pom and Farang all in the same class although Farang probably has more in common with Gringo.

Shop owners and restauranteurs in Mexico do not refer to their Caucasian customers as Gringo" when they enter an establishment because it's rude.

• Like 1

If it's that bad, and you despise it so much, then surely going back to your own country would be a better option.

Its ? There no its about it Thailand is a beautiful country blessed with abundant resources - unfortunately cursed with its people ..

One makes a choice to put up with them for what seem to be important personal reasons

So, one would assume that you put up with "them" for your own important personal reasons. If, as I suspect you live in Phuket, then you are not necessarily getting the best example of people.

What is the charm of Thais? I just do not see it- I find them generally rude as hell beyond the smirking facade, and usually quite....well empty headed, incapable of any kind of analytical thought. Maybe that is the charm ..to some?

Who's being racist?

Thais for using the word Farang to denote white people, or you for the above remark?

• Like 1

Shop owners and restauranteurs in Mexico do not refer to their Caucasian customers as Gringo" when they enter an establishment because it's rude.

I've lived in Thailand for 10 years and no shop owner or restaurateur has referred to me as a Farang. Nor did they refer to me as a Yank in Australia or New Zealand. I have been referred to as a Yankee in the South of the US. I've never referred to a Mexican person as a beaner. You might want to check out the video called, "Gringo Tuesdays"

What is the charm of Thais? I just do not see it- I find them generally rude as hell beyond the smirking facade, and usually quite....well empty headed, incapable of any kind of analytical thought. Maybe that is the charm ..to some?

Who's being racist?

Thais for using the word Farang to denote white people, or you for the above remark?

Thais are not a race, though many seem to think they are. I find most of the people who populate Thailand to be ill educated.

And using slang racial terms to make comments on people within their presence is all about being rude and derogatory.

Maybe when one isn't here for cheap sex , ... it's a bit harder to look past these things ..? I think that is a plausible explanation for many Thai apologists.

May I use the term, P... whipped?

It must be difficult living a life, when you're so bitter.

Farang is not polite, and never has been. Saying that Thais have been using it for years and mean no offence is a cop out. It doesn't bother me, but I will never respect locals that bandy the word around, especially when I am a customer in their shop. Thai know how to show respect, some just choose not to, and that show poor character.

I agree, it is blatant disrespect and warrants a reprisal. When kids use it, as is too common, I ask their parents to please teach them it is a rude term.

I can just see the reaction in any of our home countries if children were as routinely taught racism and ran around calling out "chink" to Asians.

Forget the word chink you could likely just say Asian and place Thais in the same boat as Cambodians and Burmese and they would boil with anger.

I've lived in Thailand for 10 years and no shop owner or restaurateur has referred to me as a Farang. Nor did they refer to me as a Yank in Australia or New Zealand. I have been referred to as a Yankee in the South of the US. I've never referred to a Mexican person as a beaner. You might want to check out the video called, "Gringo Tuesdays"

And that's my point because they aren't rude, like Thais.

Why don't you use slang racist terms? Because it's rude and racist.

Thais are rude and racist when they use " farang"

I've lived in Thailand for 10 years and no shop owner or restaurateur has referred to me as a Farang. People who own restaurants in South America refer to non natives as Gringos. What's the matter? Can't you read?

If it's that bad, and you despise it so much, then surely going back to your own country would be a better option.

Its ? There no its about it Thailand is a beautiful country blessed with abundant resources - unfortunately cursed with its people ..

One makes a choice to put up with them for what seem to be important personal reasons

So, one would assume that you put up with "them" for your own important personal reasons. If, as I suspect you live in Phuket, then you are not necessarily getting the best example of people.

That's a valid point, certainly the worst Thais flock to tourism areas.

Who's being racist?

Thais are not a race, though many seem to think they are. I find most of the people who populate Thailand to be ill educated.

There are none so blind..........

Racist may not, technically, be the correct word as per it's dictionary definition; but it can be used to describe derogatory or discriminatory remarks and behaviour directed at someone due to their nationality as well as their race.

Maybe you accept the use of the phrase "Cheese eating surrender monkeys" to describe the French because it is directed at a nationality, not a race.

"And using slang racial terms to make comments on people within their presence is all about being rude and derogatory."

Depends all upon the circumstances. If someone who knew my name repeatedly referred to me as "the Farang" I would, of course, be offended.

But if a stranger asked "Who is the Farang?" I would be no more offended than if they had said "Who is the white man?" or "Who is the foreigner?"

"Maybe when one isn't here for cheap sex , ... it's a bit harder to look past these things ..? I think that is a plausible explanation for many Thai apologists.

May I use the term, P... whipped? Actually I would amend that- ladyboys are a HUGE draw for western mongers apparently, so..well I guess P- whipped fits there, too."

So it's OK for you to label the majority of Western men in Thailand as sex tourists and call them "mongers."

More stereotyping from you. More double standards from you.

As you so obviously hate Thailand and the Thais so much, what are you doing there?

• Like 2

Still my favorite story about being called farang, and will still be defended by the apologists as not racist ...

I was in a busy restaurant. Twelve, count'm, twelve tables. Each had, in heavy marker, the table number written on the table edge.

Including mine.

Noodle soup was being prepared by two women at lightning speed, and two others were making deliveries. I sat down at table six.

Readied bowls were handed off along with words yelled out, in Thai,

Table one!

Table eight!

Table four!

Farang!

Table two!

Table nine!

• Like 1

Still my favorite story about being called farang, and will still be defended by the apologists as not racist ...

I was in a busy restaurant. Twelve, count'm, twelve tables. Each had, in heavy marker, the table number written on the table edge.

Including mine.

Noodle soup was being prepared by two women at lightning speed, and two others were making deliveries. I sat down at table six.

Readied bowls were handed off along with words yelled out, in Thai,

Table one!

Table eight!

Table four!

Farang!

Table two!

Table nine!

hehe. classic

My gal got angry at a waiter at one popular bar. He wrote "Fat" farang in Thai on it, instead of asking her my name. Lucky she waited until after we got home what had happened. !

Thai waiter might have been one bill fatter himself.

She said...next time write "handsome farang" so she won't lose face. I was, actually, the thinnest, youngest, handsomest farang in the place, as there were no other farangs at all.

• Like 1

That's a valid point, certainly the worst Thais flock to tourism areas.

As do the worst foreigners judging by your posts.

Who's being racist?

There are none so blind..........

Racist may not, technically, be the correct word as per it's dictionary definition; but it can be used to describe derogatory or discriminatory remarks and behaviour directed at someone due to their nationality as well as their race.

Maybe you accept the use of the phrase "Cheese eating surrender monkeys" to describe the French because it is directed at a nationality, not a race.

"And using slang racial terms to make comments on people within their presence is all about being rude and derogatory."

Depends all upon the circumstances. If someone who knew my name repeatedly referred to me as "the Farang" I would, of course, be offended.

But if a stranger asked "Who is the Farang?" I would be no more offended than if they had said "Who is the white man?" or "Who is the foreigner?"

"Maybe when one isn't here for cheap sex , ... it's a bit harder to look past these things ..? I think that is a plausible explanation for many Thai apologists.

May I use the term, P... whipped? Actually I would amend that- ladyboys are a HUGE draw for western mongers apparently, so..well I guess P- whipped fits there, too."

So it's OK for you to label the majority of Western men in Thailand as sex tourists and call them "mongers."

More stereotyping from you. More double standards from you.

As you so obviously hate Thailand and the Thais so much, what are you doing there?

It is not just a hate of Thailand and the Thais, it is also for Western men.

• Like 1

I don't mean to condescend but I don't think the average foreigner here in Thailand even under stands how bad this term is. Imagine if in the UK every time people other than UK nationals were referred to as "the foreigner"...... "what does the foreigner have to say".

It does not so much matter that the actual meaning may not be meant to be divisive, the fact that they can't really comprehend why or how it is divisive is just as bad. It is like if you didn't know stealing was bad, it would not really make the act of stealing any better..... things would still bet getting stolen.

I think this word and how common it is used here, and the apparent fact that it is not even coming close to going away, is just commentary stating that this country is backward and living up to hundreds of years in the past, with no obvious trends to say otherwise.

And, if you think I am overreacting, you need to really think about what is being said yourself. They are essentially separating the rest of the world from themselves every time they utter this word.

I agree, a feudal society is exactly what it is and one based on precepts the modern world has long since rejected.

But it isn't just foreigner, it's white foreigner. So I cannot see how it is not racist to use a slang term denoting race ?

Again it's the third person usage in my presence I find objectionable. " Oh, a farang .." It so.....rude and I have no doubt it is deliberate

Edited by EBlair48

Yeah this topic has been kicked around a bit (lot) over the years.

When It got posted it reminded me of a poster " jingthing " and what he posted.

Ohh !! not again. laugh.pnglaugh.png

What did Jingthing post ... I must have missed it.

Please 're-post' ... wai.gif

I don't mean to condescend but I don't think the average foreigner here in Thailand even under stands how bad this term is. Imagine if in the UK every time people other than UK nationals were referred to as "the foreigner"...... "what does the foreigner have to say".

It does not so much matter that the actual meaning may not be meant to be divisive, the fact that they can't really comprehend why or how it is divisive is just as bad. It is like if you didn't know stealing was bad, it would not really make the act of stealing any better..... things would still bet getting stolen.

I think this word and how common it is used here, and the apparent fact that it is not even coming close to going away, is just commentary stating that this country is backward and living up to hundreds of years in the past, with no obvious trends to say otherwise.

And, if you think I am overreacting, you need to really think about what is being said yourself. They are essentially separating the rest of the world from themselves every time they utter this word. Live here, work here, married here, kids here, citizenship here: you are still a "farang," through and through.

Total Rolox, ...........rolleyes.gif .............Another one bringing his farangland mindset to LOS.......coffee1.gif