How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to condescend but I don't think the average foreigner here in Thailand even under stands how bad this term is. Imagine if in the UK every time people other than UK nationals were referred to as "the foreigner"...... "what does the foreigner have to say".

It does not so much matter that the actual meaning may not be meant to be divisive, the fact that they can't really comprehend why or how it is divisive is just as bad. It is like if you didn't know stealing was bad, it would not really make the act of stealing any better..... things would still bet getting stolen.

I think this word and how common it is used here, and the apparent fact that it is not even coming close to going away, is just commentary stating that this country is backward and living up to hundreds of years in the past, with no obvious trends to say otherwise.

And, if you think I am overreacting, you need to really think about what is being said yourself. They are essentially separating the rest of the world from themselves every time they utter this word. Live here, work here, married here, kids here, citizenship here: you are still a "farang," through and through.

Total Rolox, ...........rolleyes.gif .............Another one bringing his farangland mindset to LOS.......coffee1.gif

And another one with no defense resorts to personal slurs. Give it up guys there is no excusing this particular Thai racist mindset

^ No idea who you are addressing but passive/agressive personality assessments in lieu of a decent argument are really the definition of trolling.

Ms. Blair I believe you have discovered you are the only sane person in the Asylum.

• Like 1

I don't mean to condescend but I don't think the average foreigner here in Thailand even under stands how bad this term is. Imagine if in the UK every time people other than UK nationals were referred to as "the foreigner"...... "what does the foreigner have to say".

It does not so much matter that the actual meaning may not be meant to be divisive, the fact that they can't really comprehend why or how it is divisive is just as bad. It is like if you didn't know stealing was bad, it would not really make the act of stealing any better..... things would still bet getting stolen.

I think this word and how common it is used here, and the apparent fact that it is not even coming close to going away, is just commentary stating that this country is backward and living up to hundreds of years in the past, with no obvious trends to say otherwise.

And, if you think I am overreacting, you need to really think about what is being said yourself. They are essentially separating the rest of the world from themselves every time they utter this word. Live here, work here, married here, kids here, citizenship here: you are still a "farang," through and through.

Total Rolox, ...........rolleyes.gif .............Another one bringing his farangland mindset to LOS.......coffee1.gif

This mindset is worldwide today. Anyway, when somebody does not agree the only respectable way to do it is to actually have an argument.

^ No idea who you are addressing but passive/agressive personality assessments in lieu of a decent argument are really the definition of trolling.

Judging by your recent tantrums in several threads, I am thinking Pot and Kettle.

• Like 2

When i hear falang falang behind me a like to turn around and say: Krabhom phom fallang, keng maak maak! Then give a thumb up and go my way.

When i walk the (fat) dog from my thai friend the thai always say oean, oean..They all have to mention that the dog is fat, like i didn't see that.

I am happy to read that tablenumbers in restaurant do work. For years they have brought us the wrong food and i always wondered why they don't use tablenumbers. Also when my wife orders in thai soo many times we get the wrong order or food from another table.

I'm a Farang and I get asked to sit in the front of the Song Tau all the time with the driver. I'm a Farang and I get into bars that Thai men can't go because I'm a Farang. I'm a Farang and I can buy a ticket anywhere on a first class bus.

You are uninformed about being a Farang in Thailand. I get paid more than Thai people for doing the same job and treated better than Thai people under numerous circumstances. I suggest you come and live in Thailand for a while.

I feel guilty about it sometimes. I am tall and handsome and get treated better in any country.

"I am tall and handsome" ... from memory, you are in your late 70's or early 80's ?

"I get paid more than Thai people for doing the same job" ... Why are you working at your age?

"I get asked to sit in the front of the Song Tau all the time with the driver" ... Mate, the reason they ask you to sit up front is the driver is worried that 'fall out the back'.

Now ... thailiketoo ... if you aren't that vintage (age) ... then say so..

The reason I'm working is because Thais asked me to. There are many older Farang guys working here that would be considered past their prime in the old country.

Mostly women drivers ask me to sit up front. I never asked them why. Tall and handsome has nothing to do with age. Did you think I moved here because of the Wats and Som Tom?

This is a good place to retire. I do many things I would not have done in retirement at the West like work, buy a new scooter and ride it around town, have a large number of female friends and so on.

So ... thailiketoo ... it is presumed that you are in your late 70's or early 80's ? You still work ... smile.png

If not ... say it's so ... so that we can go back to previous stories and identify the reality.

And that the female Songthaew drivers (and I have cought more then most) the female Songthaew drivers ask you to ride up front with them ... giggle.gif

That's amazing ... I seen a few female Songthaew drivers. Actually very few. They are usually with the Thai Partner in the cab.

Indeed, I've never seen a Songthaew driver stop the truck, exit the cabin and say (in English or Thai) to a Westener ... 'Excuse me Sir, you Tall and Handsome Farang ... please don't sit in the back ... come sit upfront with me ... it's much more cosy in the cab(in)' ... giggle.gif

ChiangMai Kelly ... thailiketoo ... I used to enjoy your stories, but please ... this has jumped the credibility gap and you are doing no justice to your member profile by posting such rubbish.

• Like 2

There are many things they just don't quite get in this country, and they never will. They just don't get certain stuff. Education for example, customer service would be another one, and political correctness. They just don't quite get that the term is divisive. Some on here are saying we should pretty much just forget about it. I agree for the most part, because nothing will ever change here.

The real point is that this doesn't make the fact that they are extremely insensitive to worldwide views with their usage of this term any less true. The words proves them to be the proverbial low class, Cro-Magnon, backward nation that they are. If you don't want to be known that way, grow up, if you don't mind (as they don't seem to), keep it up. We all know what they will do, and on on and their evolutionary stasis will continue.

Edited by isawasnake

When i hear falang falang behind me a like to turn around and say: Krabhom phom fallang, keng maak maak! Then give a thumb up and go my way.

When i walk the (fat) dog from my thai friend the thai always say oean, oean..They all have to mention that the dog is fat, like i didn't see that.

I am happy to read that tablenumbers in restaurant do work. For years they have brought us the wrong food and i always wondered why they don't use tablenumbers. Also when my wife orders in thai soo many times we get the wrong order or food from another table.

Look it's like this. Thailand is a developing or recently industrialized country or whatever you want to call it. Bangkok is just about a first world city but the rest of the country has some catching up to do.

It's like going to London and then to the north of Scotland or New York to Hicksville.

Learn to speak Thai and you'll have fun.

I remember once waiting for a bus in Ireland for over an hour and then I asked them what time does the bus come? Answer - Tuesday.

Edited by ATF

"Krabhom phom fallang, keng maak maak!"

Suggest you head to a decent Thai language school such as UTL, doubt very much if the average Thai would even understand what you said, it makes no sense.

• Like 1

So ... thailiketoo ... it is presumed that you are in your late 70's or early 80's ? You still work ... smile.png

If not ... say it's so ... so that we can go back to previous stories and identify the reality.

And that the female Songthaew drivers (and I have cought more then most) the female Songthaew drivers ask you to ride up front with them ... giggle.gif

That's amazing ... I seen a few female Songthaew drivers. Actually very few. They are usually with the Thai Partner in the cab.

Indeed, I've never seen a Songthaew driver stop the truck, exit the cabin and say (in English or Thai) to a Westener ... 'Excuse me Sir, you Tall and Handsome Farang ... please don't sit in the back ... come sit upfront with me ... it's much more cosy in the cab(in)' ... giggle.gif

ChiangMai Kelly ... thailiketoo ... I used to enjoy your stories, but please ... this has jumped the credibility gap and you are doing no justice to your member profile by posting such rubbish.

Odd it is, I used to like his posts, too, even when I disagreed with him. But this thread ...

His claiming that in ten years here, never has restaurant staff nor a shop owner called him the F word, is nothing less than incredible.

Guess being bed-ridden helps. Me, I hear it a dozen times a day, out and about in Rhek Thum.

• Like 2

Don't understand anyone being offended by a Thai saying the word farang if that's what you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

Well, because a/ Wikipedia is for the lazy, and b/ I'm not a farang.

But I am a:

customer

patron

passenger

fare

associate

driver

boyfriend

friend

applicant

testee

writer

buyer

attendee

blond gentleman

man in the white shirt and jeans

person at the counter

bill payer

traveller

consumer

rider

host

and thousand of other nouns that are at the tip of the tongue in English, but apparently don't exist in Thai.

Lots of words in English do not have a direct Thai translation; and vice versa.

One Thai word for a white person is Farang.

In the UK I have often heard phrases such as "the black guy over there." Racist, or descriptive?

I suggest in most cases it's the latter; just as the use of Farang in Thailand is.

Edited by 7by7

In the UK I have often heard phrases such as "the black guy over there." Racist, or descriptive?

I suggest in most cases it's the latter; just as the use of Farang in Thailand is.

Yeah?

Wonder what would happen if you said, "the black guy over here?"

Song Tau drivers in Thailand drive along till they see someone waving them down. It they like the person they will open the front door and ask you to sit in the front seat. The front seat will accommodate the driver and two people. The same thing with vans but they are more inclined to use the front seat as the last space on the vehicle.

When you live in a small town and everyone knows you people don't call you a Farang. My wife will tell the driver of the tuk tuk or taxi to go to or come to Ban Farang because that is what my house is called. That is not the name of my street but more people know my street by the name Ban Farang than it's proper name.

Outside of my neighborhood I don't eat at cheap Thai restaurants. The last three restaurants I remember dining at were the Hopf, Fuji and the Italian restaurant close to the American Embassy. Guarantee no one is going to call you Farang.

Yeah?

Not a lot, unless I was being deliberately rude.

How would you describe a black person in order to differentiate them from a crowd of, for example, white people?

Or a white person in those circumstances, come to that?

Yeah?

How would you describe a black person in order to differentiate them from a crowd of, for example, white people?

How about if "the black guy over here" was your boyfriend, son-in-law, step-father, etc.?

Which is a more equatable comparison.

Yeah?

My/your/John's friend over there next to the hostess station … maybe? The gentleman in the red golf shirt carrying the blue umbrella … maybe? The intelligent looking man with frameless glasses and an armful of poetry … perhaps.

I always hate it in novels where all characters are white by default, then when a black or Asian, or whatever, shows up, the writer says, "A tall black man came in the room."

Great.

Indicative of a mind inadequate, or unconcerned with, making any effort to work someone's heritage into the story.

Same here. Using the F word is just a matter of laziness, superiority, or lack of education. Either way, rude and low class.

• Like 2

Referencing someone's race is not automatically racist. A fact some of you seem to be struggling with. Farang is no more an offensive word than 'black' or 'white', no matter how much you want it to be.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by SoiBiker
  • Like 1

Song Tau drivers in Thailand drive along till they see someone waving them down. It they like the person they will open the front door and ask you to sit in the front seat. The front seat will accommodate the driver and two people. The same thing with vans but they are more inclined to use the front seat as the last space on the vehicle.

Just linking the two statements so it's not forgotten ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/745425-how-do-you-like-being-called-farang/?p=8158364

As for "It they like the person they will open the front door and ask you to sit in the front seat." ... NEVER have I ever seen this ... and I've used them a lot ... a lot. Maybe I'm not tall and hasum man like the poster.

Never bothered me, things like that are only a problem if you allow them to be.

As with most, its not whats said but how its said.

Khun Ronald ... you are a Rodant with wiseness beyound your ears years.

Ronald? Who's Ronald, (my apologies if you are dyslexic, no offence intended mate)

• Like 1

Never bothered me, things like that are only a problem if you allow them to be.

As with most, its not whats said but how its said.

Khun Ronald ... you are a Rodant with wiseness beyound your ears years.

Get his name right Dave, it's Roland!!