How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

Referencing someone's race is not automatically racist. A fact some of you seem to be struggling with. Farang is no more an offensive word than 'black' or 'white', no matter how much you want it to be.

So why don't they just say black or white?

Besides, using a person's skin color to define them is the exact definition of racism.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Referencing someone's race is not automatically racist. A fact some of you seem to be struggling with. Farang is no more an offensive word than 'black' or 'white', no matter how much you want it to be.

Besides, using a person's skin color to define them is the exact definition of racism.

Of course it isn't. Being prejudiced against someone or treating them differently because of their race is racism. Merely using the colour of their skin to describe them is not.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Of course it isn't. Being prejudiced against someone or treating them differently because of their race is racism. Merely using the colour of their skin to describe them is not.

And you're supposed to be a school teacher here!

Amazing Thailand.

I wouldn't take it personally Thais call each other black and white. Black Americans and Europeans discriminate against black Africans.

We are what we are don't rise to the bait just enjoy your life.

• Like 1

And you're supposed to be a school teacher here!

Amazing Thailand.

I'm not a school teacher.

I wouldn't take it personally Thais call each other black and white. Black Americans and Europeans discriminate against black Africans.

I'm not white, but I don't call white people farang, as I am both civilized and educated.

The kids in the street shouting farang, explanation for that please?

One that hopefully differers from mine, "ha ha ha look at the cripple, spastic, retard/etc."

• Like 1

I think so many people miss the point here. I really do. It is not about taking it personally or not. It is kinda about Thais needing to refine their behavior a little. They wont, I know, but therein lies the point. In other words, just because you don't take offense does not mean it is ok to say it. If I had to draw a rough equivalent taking into consideration maturity level and overall thoughtlessness, it would be like a kid saying "that's so gay" about something bad.

Edited by isawasnake

I'm not white, but I don't call white people farang, as I am both civilized and educated.

One that hopefully differers from mine, "ha ha ha look at the cripple, spastic, retard/etc."

But you are not Thai either, our thoughts are a weeee bit different. Folk who take offense really are lacking in brain cells, just my opinion of course. smile.png

If there was one black guy in a room full of white people, and you needed to point him out to someone, how would you do so? Would saying 'that black guy over there' be racist?

• Like 2

The explanation is it doesn't mean anything. You have to believe that. Problem is most foreigners can't speak Thai but they hear Falung, Falung uttered repeatedly and this annoys them. I was annoyed too when I first came to Thailand.

Learn some Thai and it will all go away I promise you.

Jesus H Christ, if anyone gets offended by the word 'farang' then they are seriously insecure.

Yes, it's very surprising to see how sensitive some people are. Makes you wonder if they're actually living in Thailand and , if they are, whether they should be!

If there was one black guy in a room full of white people, and you needed to point him out to someone, how would you do so? Would saying 'that black guy over there' be racist?

How often has that situation happened in your life?

Most of the time it's more, serving lady in a shop with one customer. Who happens to be white.

"My customer" would be the correct title for him, skin color of "the customer" would be irrelevant to any third party.

How often has that situation happened in your life?

Most of the time it's more, serving lady in a shop with one customer. Who happens to be white.

"My customer" would be the correct title for him, skin color of "the customer" would be irrelevant to any third party.

Having lived for years in a multicultural city, probably quite a few times. But we're missing the point. Would describing them as 'the black guy' be racist in your opinion?

i am white but have black ar.e where does that put me

in need of toilet paper or a bum gun, or maybe change your skivvies more often

There was the anal bleaching thread......

• Like 2

My mum told me not too point at people / foreigners and never to mention people's race to avoid making them feel unwelcome.

Here children are very much encouraged to do the opposite.

Why?

Because it would be too openly racist if parents were doing it themselves, they just use their kids instead.

How do I know this ?

The parents giggle every time the kids does it.

Gawd, total rolox............rolleyes.gif

Anyway, so what....?

• Like 1

In general, I think it's fairly innocent, especially when kids do it. Most of the time adults use the term because its the handiest way to make reference to you (when they don't know your name), and no offense is intended. I can think of two occasions though where I thought it was being used pejoratively towards me.

Once, after paying the fare on a local bus, I asked the fare collector if I had given her a 50 baht bill instead of the 20 baht bill she gave me the change for. The woman got really irritated like I was trying to con her, and she said in a loud voice for the whole bus to hear "Farang tried to tell me he gave me a 50 baht bill." That really made me feel like it was done in an effort to isolate me and create an "us against him" dynamic.

Another time, I was buying limes at the market, and the price had really jumped from the week before. When I decided not to buy the limes, this woman standing next to me who had watched me ask for the price and then decide not to buy, suddenly started interjecting in a loud voice, "Farang, ki niaw" and here too I felt like it was an attempt by the fellow customer to create a sense of solidarity with the vegetable vendor at my expense.

But in general, I don't pay much attention. When people call me farang, I sometimes take the opportunity to tell them what my name is.

My mum told me not too point at people / foreigners and never to mention people's race to avoid making them feel unwelcome.

Here children are very much encouraged to do the opposite.

Why?

Because it would be too openly racist if parents were doing it themselves, they just use their kids instead.

How do I know this ?

The parents giggle every time the kids does it.

Gawd, total rolox............rolleyes.gif

Anyway, so what....?

At your old age you decided to adapt. Well done !

Learn some Thai and it will all go away I promise you.

If I were to learn any Thai, I would know, Khun Farang person, and farang thing.

There's Falung Food you see signs in Thai saying this everywhere. There's Falung everything.

Another time, I was buying limes at the market, and the price had really jumped from the week before. When I decided not to buy the limes, this woman standing next to me who had watched me ask for the price and then decide not to buy, suddenly started interjecting in a loud voice, "Farang, ki niaw" and here too I felt like it was an attempt by the fellow customer to create a sense of solidarity with the vegetable vendor at my expense.

One thing to be happy about, limes are 10bht for 10 now.

Talk about bust and boom.

PS

I also refused to pay the extreme prices for limes (10bht each at one point last month).

• Like 1

It's not rare to actually see parents teaching their very young kids to point at Farang and say "Farang".

Once it was like a toddler may be not even year old, and both his parents were desperately training him to say "farang" while pointing at me.

Not in a matter of fact way, (like they would just tell him what he sees: this is an apple/tree/car)

It was very much told in a negative tone.

I really pity the kids, told to despise people so early.