How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually all it means is the same as the falung fruit which is white inside and has a slightly coarse texture just like Western skin as opposed to white Asian skin which is silky smooth. It's not an insult just a pure observation.

"falung" now listed in "Thaivisa Farang Spelling Collection" as #23 tongue.png

The Thai pronunciation of the word is Falung. How do you say it in Klingon?

Actually all it means is the same as the falung fruit which is white inside and has a slightly coarse texture just like Western skin as opposed to white Asian skin which is silky smooth. It's not an insult just a pure observation.

"falung" now listed in "Thaivisa Farang Spelling Collection" as #23 tongue.png

My dear man, you have the most unusual collecting hobbies!

Dek Noi where have you been? Staying out of trouble?

this hobby is neither time consuming nor does it require to spend money wink.png

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farong

faring

farnags

falung

ferong

ferang

ferung

furung

furlong

furlung

forong

folong

forlong

pharung

felang

franansgs

ferlang

forang

Folung

A splendid collection indeed, one to be very proud of.

I was not the best at arithmetic in school, but my count has 'falung' at #24

If nothing else, this thread has given some an opportunity to demonstrate a few Thai words that they know.

Actually, this thread helps to identify the idiot farangs who are still offended by the word "Caucasian" (literal translation of "farang").

• Like 1

If nothing else, this thread has given some an opportunity to demonstrate a few Thai words that they know.

Actually, this thread helps to identify the idiot farangs who are still offended by the word "Caucasian" (literal translation of "farang").

Actually, this thread helps to identify the farang who cant speak Thai, even though they claim to live here.

Please tell me whats offensive about, farang sung (factually correct) or farang law (probably pak waan but never mind)?

They hear the word and go into a hissy fit, all they do is expose their ignorance of the country and its language.

They then come onto these forums and bitch and moan about "farang" who live in their country but dont speak, ............ insert whatever language you want, usually English.

Great stuff.

• Like 1

When I first came to Thailand 30 years ago, the Thai ladies of the circle I was visiting explained the terms "f" and could barely say the word. Everything you geniuses have brought up about fruit and Frenchmen was mentioned. Much as women of that age could barely say or explain the "F" word to someone from another planet today. I thought that was all I needed to know about how appropriate the "f" word was.

Nowadays, if someone's Grandmother wouldn't have used it to describe white foreigners 25 years ago, is it appropriate to use today?

If it doesn't pass the Grandmother test, well then, you really need to rethink what you're doing?

It's still obscene in my book.

Nancy

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

i cant see the problem with it myself,

if we go to wangnamyen shoping and i see a new falang, i say to the wife, hes a new falang never seen him before,

whats the problem with that,

i dont know if hes from england,scotland, usa,canada, i just say new falang, not new brit ect

jake the brit falang

• Like 2

It just has a few more letters than an equivalent word in English. Well. not quite equivalent. The Thai people love puns and at least this obscenity ties back to a fruit that not too many people like. It's really difficult to make any sort of polite or scholarly reference to the equivalent English "f" word.

The Thai word is much, much better in that you can, at times use it in polite company. All in the name of pun.

You can't make the same claim for the direct English translation.

Edited by NancyL

So Asians should not be offended by being called Mongoloids?

with little restraint I mocked back saying farang, farang!

You mock back by pointing and saying 'Khmen, Khmen!'

and they mock back pointing... English teacher, English teacher, mamma noodle, mamma noodle, overstay, overstay

And they also mock back at you with "nearly 16,000 posts, what a sad-faced loser".

dont bite souty my old mate,,

16,000 bloody hell, mind you dave48 is trying to catch you,,lol

jake the peace keeper

Edited by pigeonjake

Calling every white people "Farang" is as bad as calling every Asian people "Chinese"... That's what stupid people do back in my country....

A japanese is not a Thai which is nor a Vietnamese neither a Koeran exactly the same is going for an Australian not being a German which is nor an American neither a French.

I do try to avoid using this word but at the end of the day.... it doesn't change my day coffee1.gif

Calling every white people "Farang" is as bad as calling every Asian people "Chinese"... That's what stupid people do back in my country....

A japanese is not a Thai which is nor a Vietnamese neither a Koeran exactly the same is going for an Australian not being a German which is nor an American neither a French.

I do try to avoid using this word but at the end of the day.... it doesn't change my day coffee1.gif

to a thai, farang has no nationality, it simply means foreigner

• Like 1

Its not racist. That's why its said with such love and affection

I've never heard it said with love and affection. Which is why when I hear it used it puts me in the "us versus them" mindset. Completely f---s my interest in learning Thai or respecting the country, brings me back to the thread a few weeks ago I posted which asked: "is there anywhere any Thailand where you DON'T get the f-rang treatment". Kinda clueless at this point whether there is any reason to learn Thai or I should just make do travelling around the country and getting by with survival Thai and Engrit.

@ OP. All countries have reference words for people not native to them. Thai have names for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Caucasian and African American folks. Just happens to be that all "white" people (Male and Female) are called Falang. So water off a ducks back as I say. Its not meant to be an insult. Its like what you would say referencing a person you saw, I saw this "Black" person or "Japanese" person etc.

In the bigger picture I always thought it was odd that people have to reference anybody like that. Why not say I saw this Gal or this Guy or this person, why point out color or race? Its just how we are as humans I suppose

Have another beer, all good. When I have had kids say Falang, I usually say Krub!!! and laugh.

• Like 1

I've never heard it said with love and affection. Which is why when I hear it used it puts me in the "us versus them" mindset. Completely f---s my interest in learning Thai or respecting the country, brings me back to the thread a few weeks ago I posted which asked: "is there anywhere any Thailand where you DON'T get the f-rang treatment". Kinda clueless at this point whether there is any reason to learn Thai or I should just make do travelling around the country and getting by with survival Thai and Engrit.

the way someone perceives a word has nothing to do with the way it was intended. if you dont hear it with love and affection, it is your fault. many of us do.

I dunno, but I'm pretty sure I've been referred to as a guava before...

Perhaps something a bit more delicate as we are in the PC era... Just look at all the name changes that descendants of Africans have gone though in the name of political correctness...

I don't have a problem being referred to as a farang, but much like any slang it depends on the context...

Perhaps something a bit more delicate as we are in the PC era... Just look at all the name changes that descendants of Africans have gone though in the name of political correctness...

I don't have a problem being referred to as a farang, but much like any slang it depends on the context...

its called common courtesy, not political correctness

the way someone perceives a word has nothing to do with the way it was intended. if you dont hear it with love and affection, it is your fault. many of us do.

Sorry....cynicism must be a stranger to you. Leaving that aside.....you really must be the only 1 to make the connection between farang and love and affection...

Sorry....cynicism must be a stranger to you. Leaving that aside.....you really must be the only 1 to make the connection between farang and love and affection...

thats demonstrates your very limited experience