How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That call is most used by children...and I like when is happening. Give me the opportunity to say Hello to them, and ask for their names. I noticed that parents like that, trying make its children to respond. Some kids get shy, embarrased, others respond laughing. Anyway..may be is just me, I love kids...and I mess with them looking for the exchange. If they learn my name, they will use it....no "farang" again. It is a fact.

• Like 2

..and I mess with them looking for the exchange. If they learn my name, they will use it....no "farang" again. It is a fact.

you might want to consider changing the first part of this sentence rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

That call is most used by children...and I like when is happening. Give me the opportunity to say Hello to them, and ask for their names. I noticed that parents like that, trying make its children to respond. Some kids get shy, embarrased, others respond laughing. Anyway..may be is just me, I love kids...and I mess with them looking for the exchange. If they learn my name, they will use it....no "farang" again. It is a fact.

I can use that.

Quite fitting.

with little restraint I mocked back saying farang, farang!

You mock back by pointing and saying 'Khmen, Khmen!'

and they mock back pointing... English teacher, English teacher, mamma noodle, mamma noodle, overstay, overstay

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

Actually all it means is the same as the falung fruit which is white inside and has a slightly coarse texture just like Western skin as opposed to white Asian skin which is silky smooth. It's not an insult just a pure observation.

The term farang actually goes back in Asia to the middle east describing the first Europeans they come across, the Franks.

Do I like being called farang? I like it slightly more than being labelled a barang. I don;t care though really. Only time it is slightly annoying is when you come across an <deleted> who is over using the word. It is usually some ignorant hillbilly, so really there is no reason to feel offended.

I don't know what a Barang is. Do you mean "Ah Bang" which is an insulting term used for addressing a "Kaek", Middle Eastern/Indian.

They probably would not like us to call them slopes, either. Provided they would know what it means, which they probably won't .

On the other hand: the word "Farang' is not -necessarily- meant as an insult. My wife uses it all the time, simply meaning : europeans. Laotians, Fillipino's, Malay etc. are NOT farang, although they , ofcourse are foreign and therefore are people of a lower race.

Do remember: at the end of the day it is all about Thainess, a quality no foreigner could ever hope to achieve.

I understand what you are saying but after years of listening to this, I have come to a different conclusion. It's not meant to be nice.

IMO, Thais are xenophobic and this term just labels others to make Thais more comfortable.

Us against them mentality.

Dont be silly sir, just get on with your good life

OP, as long as they don't call you, Bak Farang, you are all right.

There have been many threads about this and the majority consensus is that farang is not an insulting word.

They have been using the word for ages and they will carry on using it, with no offence intended.

So, get used to it and don't get upset.

Don't agree.

1. The N work and the shortened word to describe someone from pakistan was used for ages not to mention, another word meaning incline being used for Asians. Now it is not acceptable or politically correct. Thailand has to drag itself into the modern era to realise what was acceptable before is not now!

2. In certain ways it can be used to insult.

I personally (as I have said before) have no problem with a taxi driver talking on the phone to his wife saying he is taking a farang to the airport. I do have a problem when I arrive at a customers office, present my business card and tell the receptionist that "I am Mr. xxxxxxx and I have an appointment with Khun xxxx" Only for the receptionist to phone Khun xxxxx and say "there is a Farang here to see you" &lt;deleted&gt; rude in my book!

• Like 2

They probably would not like us to call them slopes, either. Provided they would know what it means, which they probably won't .

On the other hand: the word "Farang' is not -necessarily- meant as an insult. My wife uses it all the time, simply meaning : europeans. Laotians, Fillipino's, Malay etc. are NOT farang, although they , ofcourse are foreign and therefore are people of a lower race.

Do remember: at the end of the day it is all about Thainess, a quality no foreigner could ever hope to achieve.

I understand what you are saying but after years of listening to this, I have come to a different conclusion. It's not meant to be nice.

IMO, Thais are xenophobic and this term just labels others to make Thais more comfortable.

Us against them mentality.

Sounds like it is you who has the "Us against them mentality."

Cant believe its "ferang" time again already, its been all of three weeks!

Think the Sin Sot thread is a little over due this time round, and what has happened to the latest "she's different", thread but note we have the regular "what to does Thai earn" thread on the go already...thumbsup.gif

Think the Sin Sot thread is a little over due this time round, and what has happened to the latest "she's different", thread but note we have the regular "what to does Thai earn" thread on the go already...thumbsup.gif

Haven't seen a '(not a bar girl)' for a few days.
  • Like 1

We are also due a, "I just found out my GF of 6 months is actually an LB" thread.

• Like 2

We are also due a, "I just found out my GF of 6 months is actually an LB" thread.

jet ski mafia... baht bus drivers... tuk tuk mafia... lot of entertaining subjects should be due soon again

jet ski mafia... baht bus drivers... tuk tuk mafia... lot of entertaining subjects should be due soon again

Baht buses, always good for a laugh, especially if TVs well acknowledged expert in that field shares his experience.

I like it fine. I call 'em farangs, too. My wife doesn't like "farang food," by and large, and I'm not too swift on a lot of "north food" dishes. We laugh about it, it's not a big deal at all. Maybe some Thais use the word impolitely, but I've never heard anyone sneer it at me. It will sound haughty of me, but I'm a confident person, so how could a silly thing like the "f" word brother me? It just doesn't. Farangs constantly putting Thailand down bothers me a LOT more.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I would like to say that I am surprised by the number of derogatory remarks about Thais from people complaining about Thais being racist.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at all.

• Like 1

Don't forget 'What is your monthly budget?'.

Actually all it means is the same as the falung fruit which is white inside and has a slightly coarse texture just like Western skin as opposed to white Asian skin which is silky smooth. It's not an insult just a pure observation.

"falung" now listed in "Thaivisa Farang Spelling Collection" as #23 tongue.png

• Like 2

"falung" now listed in "Thaivisa Farang Spelling Collection" as #23 tongue.png

My dear man, you have the most unusual collecting hobbies!