How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

If you can speak Thai you will understand Falung is not derogatory in any way. It's just a way of distinguishing a particular race of people. In the age of PC this may rub some Falungs up the wrong way but at least it is original.

Most expats use Falung when talking together in English so I really don't see a problem.

What would you prefer to be called? Manoot Dang Dow - Alien? Khon Dang Chart - Non Thai National? Khon Dang Prathet - Foreigner?

Thais can't tell where you are from just by looking at you just like most Falungs can't tell one Asian from another.

If you feel insulted by Falung learn how to say where you come from.

• Like 2

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got used to it, and usually are kids the one shouthing "farang". These are my usual reactions:

1) Smile at them. If they are with an adult bow my head a bit at him and continue (this is the most usual).

2) Look around as if I was looking for something while saying "farang nai?" (where is a farang?)

3 Point back at them and say "Thai!, Thai!"

4) Reply "Phum mai farang. Con Lao kap" (I am not a farang, I am from Laos)

1) Huh?

2) "Farang yuu nai (khrap)?"

3) "Khon Thai, khon Thai!"

4) "Phom mai chai farang, bpen khon Laos khrap..."

If someone doesn't know your name, then it stands to reason that they are going to call you 'farang' as opposed to anything else!? For example, if you are in a restaurant or bar where no-one knows you and order food or a drink, then they are going to say "It's for the 'farang' over there at table xyz...".There is nothing rude about that.

If a Thai was in a Thai restaurant in the West and there were only 'western' clientele, then a waiter/waitress might say that the food was for the "Thai person over there". Again, it is not rude or derogatory in my book to do that!?

If, however, you have close friends or family that know you well and insist on calling you 'farang' instead of your real name, then I would consider that an insult of sorts...

That said, my mother in law might say that her daughter is married to a farang in random conversation in the village!? I don't have a problem with that.

All of my wife's family address me by my name though, in the same way I have learnt their language and address all of them by name.

Being called a farang by random strangers doesn't really bother me at all (unless it really is said in a harsh way) - likewise, if I am out and trying to have jokey/light-hearted conversation with people around me, I might also address myself as 'farang' (also when referring to a group of us!).

It amazes me how many people get worked up about this, without bothering to learn the language and various ways the word 'farang' is actually used!?

Yes, I dont find it derogatory and these replies are mostly for kids shouting who will find it funny. I have never seen an adult pointing at me and shouting "FARANG FARANG".

I am not offended by being called farang at all and yes, my wife and those who know my name address to me by my name.

• Like 1

Most expats use Falung when talking together in English so I really don't see a problem.

And you use this justiification when throwing the N word around among your black buddies from down south as well I presume?

is that what you and your friends call them?

If nothing else, this thread has given some an opportunity to demonstrate a few Thai words that they know.

Actually, this thread helps to identify the idiot farangs who are still offended by the word "Caucasian" (literal translation of "farang").

So Asians should not be offended by being called Mongoloids?

You're telling me that you're offended by the word "Caucasian?" Seriously?

And you use this justiification when throwing the N word around among your black buddies from down south as well I presume?

If you are comparing the word "farang" to the "N" word, then it's apparent that you are completely, totally clueless. You really have no business commenting on a topic that you clearly do not understand.

Well as long as you're happy with that, then that's all that matters. I'm not infringing on your right to harmony from whatever racial name you want to be called by other races.

But is it my business? No I don't derive an income from commenting here. Or is it that you mean that only people who agree with you should post comments and people that don't have no right to ?

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

If nothing else, this thread has given some an opportunity to demonstrate a few Thai words that they know.

Actually, this thread helps to identify the idiot farangs who are still offended by the word "Caucasian" (literal translation of "farang").

Read it again. I asked if you refer to Asian as mongoloids. Using your logic they shouldn't be offended either

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

It seems the N people like to call themselves the N word but don't like Falungs using it. At least Thais can come up with Falung it's much funnier than Peckerwood.

• Like 2

Read it again. I asked if you refer to Asian as mongoloids. Using your logic they shouldn't be offended either

As usual, your logic is perplexing. Firstly, you should ask an Asian person if they're offended by the word Mongoloids. But in modern society, we refer to Asians as "Asians"...which is basically the same as "farang."

Farang is not offensive. So why are you trying to compare that word to an offensive word?

As usual, your logic is perplexing. Firstly, you should ask an Asian person if they're offended by the word Mongoloids. But in modern society, we refer to Asians as "Asians"...which is basically the same as "farang."

Farang is not offensive. So why are you trying to compare that word to an offensive word?

I have no need to ask any Asian person their opinion because I don't refer to people by racial names. You do. That's why I'm asking you.

I don't call Black people Negroids or the N word. I don't refer to White people as Caucasian either. Just White Black or Asian. That's it. No Falang, no mongoloid, no gooks, no whatever. However, you have explained that you refer to white people as farangs. Now I was only trying to understand why you use that word (which you say is not offensive??) but you - possibly because your own political correctness - don't use any slang terms for other races, but you do for white people.

I was asking why?

Edited by Time Traveller

I have no need to ask any Asian person their opinion because I don't refer to people by racial names. You do. That's why I'm asking you.

I don't call Black people Negroids or the N word. I don't refer to White people as Caucasian either. Just White Black or Asian. That's it. No Falang, no mongoloid, no gooks, no whatever. However, you have explained that you refer to white people as farangs. Now I was only trying to understand why you use that word (which you say is not offensive??) but you - possibly because your own political correctness - don't use any slang terms for other races, but you do for white people.

I was asking why?

and i ask have you ever seen a "white" person?

I was asking why?

and i ask have you ever seen a "white" person?

There was one lady in Pattaya. She used to walk on Beach road a lot but haven't seen her in a while. Do you know who I mean. I think they called her the ghost lady.

The Chinese call foreigners 'Gweilo' which translates to 'Foreign Devil', so I guess 'farang' ain't all that bad.

the Japanese use "gaijin" meaning "outsider". i spent twice a few months in Japan and felt indeed like an outsider smile.png

The Thais do not consider it an offensive word. Why some farangs want to insists that this "Thai word" is offensive is beyond me.

The reason is because it's same as what other races feel whenever a white person uses another term for them. They tend not to like it, even if as you say the person who used the term doesn't consider it offensive.

Edited by Time Traveller

The Thais do not consider it an offensive word. Why some farangs want to insists that this "Thai word" is offensive is beyond me.

The reason is because it's same as what other races feel whenever a white person uses another term for them. They tend not to like it, even if as you say the person who used the term doesn't consider it offensive.

I don't want to keep going back and forth with you on this, but again, you're wrong. Blacks in America have no problem being referred to as African-Americans. Hispanics have no problem being referred to as Hispanics. Asians have no problem being referred to as Asians. And so on. There are certainly offensive terms for each and every race, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about innocuous terms used to describe a certain group...i.e., farangs.

Some good alternatives"

Pinky?

Whitey?

Longnose?

Kimosabe.

that means faithful friend and doesnt fit

Ultimately derived from giimoozaabi, an Ojibwe and Potawatomi word that probably meant "scout", it is sometimes translated as "trusty scout" or "faithful friend".

Its use has become so widespread that it was entered into Webster's New Millennium Dictionary in 2002.

In the 2013 film The Lone Ranger, Tonto states that it means "wrong brother" in Comanche.

I don't mind a bit - seems to be a generic term with no ill intent......

When the kids say farang as I walk by I usually wave to them or wai them....the parents enjoy good natured exchange as best I can tell....It's fun to wai the little ones and see if they wai back - some get confused but the good parents repond quickly....something that can turn into a good natured/spirited few seconds....