How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

Can someone explain what the 148 post is about I seem to have lost the plot.rolleyes.gif

It's all pretty pointless, isn't it? Some people just want/need to be angry about something. It's like dogs barking at the moon. They're not going to change anything, but will insult an entire country of peoples just to get their meaningless points across.

I guess you would have told Rosa Parks to not get upset sitting on the back of a bus? Life's too short, eh?

Racism is racism and should not be tolerated

I'm a Farang and I get asked to sit in the front of the Song Tau all the time with the driver. I'm a Farang and I get into bars that Thai men can't go because I'm a Farang. I'm a Farang and I can buy a ticket anywhere on a first class bus.

You are uninformed about being a Farang in Thailand. I get paid more than Thai people for doing the same job and treated better than Thai people under numerous circumstances. I suggest you come and live in Thailand for a while.

Your above comment confirms.....inequality......well done TLT.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you would have told Rosa Parks to not get upset sitting on the back of a bus? Life's too short, eh?

I'm a Farang and I get asked to sit in the front of the Song Tau all the time with the driver. I'm a Farang and I get into bars that Thai men can't go because I'm a Farang. I'm a Farang and I can buy a ticket anywhere on a first class bus.

You are uninformed about being a Farang in Thailand. I get paid more than Thai people for doing the same job and treated better than Thai people under numerous circumstances. I suggest you come and live in Thailand for a while.

Your above comment confirms.....inequality......well done TLT.

I feel guilty about it sometimes. I am tall and handsome and get treated better in any country. When was the last time you saw a short ugly President of the USA?

^^^^^,

for inequality best you raise that with the Thais, it is their country after all.

One reason why some Thais drive around in their merx and others ride the big red number 60 free gov't bus.

Did anyone ever see Rosa Parks on the red bus #60 riding for free along with the other farang free loaders?

• Like 2

^ It's true, I'm sensitive to being subjected to racist bigotry .

For the uniformed asking about my prior statement, Rosa Parks was the catalyst for the US equal right movement. One day she refused to put up with racial bigotry and she changed a nation.

Just as a matter of interest, if you are so sensitive to racist bigotry, why do you choose to live in Thailand?

You as a farang/whatever else you are, are fee to leave whenever you want.

My Mon mrs doesnt have the same privilege as you, are you some sort of sucker for punishment.

• Like 1

I feel guilty about it sometimes. I am tall and handsome and get treated better in any country.

"I am tall and handsome" ... from memory, you are in your late 70's or early 80's ?

"I get paid more than Thai people for doing the same job" ... Why are you working at your age?

"I get asked to sit in the front of the Song Tau all the time with the driver" ... Mate, the reason they ask you to sit up front is the driver is worried that 'fall out the back'.

Now ... thailiketoo ... if you aren't that vintage (age) ... then say so.

• Like 1

Farang is not polite, and never has been. Saying that Thais have been using it for years and mean no offence is a cop out. It doesn't bother me, but I will never respect locals that bandy the word around, especially when I am a customer in their shop. Thai know how to show respect, some just choose not to, and that show poor character.

Rubbish..............rolleyes.gif ..............coffee1.gif

Oh yeah

Farang is not polite, and never has been. Saying that Thais have been using it for years and mean no offence is a cop out. It doesn't bother me, but I will never respect locals that bandy the word around, especially when I am a customer in their shop. Thai know how to show respect, some just choose not to, and that show poor character.

You should let them know how well liked you are in the Thai Visa community and that farang is not acceptable, ttat should do the trick. Report back.

I just told them and they looked a little confused. How was your day?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can someone explain what the 148 post is about I seem to have lost the plot. alt=rolleyes.gif>

It's all pretty pointless, isn't it? Some people just want/need to be angry about something. It's like dogs barking at the moon. They're not going to change anything, but will insult an entire country of peoples just to get their meaningless points across.

For the uniformed asking about my prior statement, Rosa Parks was the catalyst for the US equal right movement. One day she refused to put up with racial bigotry and she changed a nation.

So you are the informed, eh?

Rosa Parks got upset sitting on the back of the bus, and there was myself and the rest of the world thinking that the Rosa Parks incident involved her refusing to give up her seat and not about where she sat.

I was led to believe that it was the Reverend T.J. Jemison that was upset at having to sit at the back of the bus but as you obviously have a far superior education than myself or any history book that has ever been printed, I was wrong in my beliefs.

Thank you for educating me in this matter.

• Like 1

They probably would not like us to call them slopes, either. Provided they would know what it means, which they probably won't .

On the other hand: the word "Farang' is not -necessarily- meant as an insult. My wife uses it all the time, simply meaning : europeans. Laotians, Fillipino's, Malay etc. are NOT farang, although they , ofcourse are foreign and therefore are people of a lower race.

Do remember: at the end of the day it is all about Thainess, a quality no foreigner could ever hope to achieve.

Farang means Caucasian- it is slang denoting a race and is no different from gringo , spic, eggplant slope, Charlie and dozens of other slang terms . I consider any Thais who use it in my presence to be ill mannered and ignorant hicks, just like any other person in any other nation who uses racist slang routinely. I consider foreigners who use it to refer to themselves be somewhat unintelligent.

Just imagine calling yourself a spic or gringo. I know black guys who call themelves n*gger- they are also a bit questionable.

Went into a restaurant today, got the comment from a couple of snickering waitresses, turned and walked out. Next timehappens I might seriously give them a dose of their own "chicken head" racism

It's the third person usage in my presence I find particularly rude.

Just imagine making a comment " Black Guy" when someone who's black walks into a place.

A nation of racist bigots who get away with it because they sell cheap sex.

You keep bringing up the 'cheap sex' thing, that's quite a hang up you have there.

Did your man run off with a bargirl? biggrin.png

• Like 2

I feel guilty about it sometimes. I am tall and handsome and get treated better in any country.

"I am tall and handsome" ... from memory, you are in your late 70's or early 80's ?

"I get paid more than Thai people for doing the same job" ... Why are you working at your age?

"I get asked to sit in the front of the Song Tau all the time with the driver" ... Mate, the reason they ask you to sit up front is the driver is worried that 'fall out the back'.

Now ... thailiketoo ... if you aren't that vintage (age) ... then say so.

The reason I'm working is because Thais asked me to. There are many older Farang guys working here that would be considered past their prime in the old country.

Mostly women drivers ask me to sit up front. I never asked them why. Tall and handsome has nothing to do with age. Did you think I moved here because of the Wats and Som Tom?

This is a good place to retire. I do many things I would not have done in retirement at the West like work, buy a new scooter and ride it around town, have a large number of female friends and so on.

I know an old guys bicycle group that rides 60k every weekend and they are ancient.

But not really the point of my post and that is; older Farangs get treated very well in Thailand, better than Thai people.

Edited by thailiketoo

Why don't you set up a Farang Power movement then? You can protest outside all those places of ill repute that you don't like.

Given you attitude and self righteousness , I very much doubt it has anything to with your ethnicity. One wonders why you reside here, given your contempt for the people.

They probably would not like us to call them slopes, either. Provided they would know what it means, which they probably won't .

On the other hand: the word "Farang' is not -necessarily- meant as an insult. My wife uses it all the time, simply meaning : europeans. Laotians, Fillipino's, Malay etc. are NOT farang, although they , ofcourse are foreign and therefore are people of a lower race.

Do remember: at the end of the day it is all about Thainess, a quality no foreigner could ever hope to achieve.

Farang means Caucasian- it is slang denoting a race and is no different from gringo , spic, eggplant slope, Charlie and dozens of other slang terms . I consider any Thais who use it in my presence to be ill mannered and ignorant hicks, just like any other person in any other nation who uses racist slang routinely. I consider foreigners who use it to refer to themselves be somewhat unintelligent.

Just imagine calling yourself a spic or gringo. I know black guys who call themelves n*gger- they are also a bit questionable.

Went into a restaurant today, got the comment from a couple of snickering waitresses, turned and walked out. Next timehappens I might seriously give them a dose of their own "chicken head" racism

It's the third person usage in my presence I find particularly rude.

Just imagine making a comment " Black Guy" when someone who's black walks into a place.

A nation of racist bigots who get away with it because they sell cheap sex.

You keep bringing up the 'cheap sex' thing, that's quite a hang up you have there.

Did your man run off with a bargirl? biggrin.png

Would you blame him?

Given you attitude and self righteousness , I very much doubt it has anything to with your ethnicity. One wonders why you reside here, given your contempt for the people.

Some might say that her contrmpt for Thais borders on Racism, I would say that there is no border.

Edited by tonytigerbkk

Some might say that her contrmpt for Thais borders on Racism, I would say that there is no border.

One would tend to agree, Blair is certainly one of the more bigoted members here. I suppose there is a reason for that bitterness.

• Like 1

For a country that seems to move so delicately regarding personal communication and where face seems of the upmost importance it is almost incomprehensible that the term "falang" is so commonly used. I have seen it used by everyone from street vendors to doctors and lawyers. I have seen it used affectionately by children and I have seen it used disparagingly by adults. But I think in the end it is unfortunately more an indication of a second class citizen or a foreigner than it is a long lost friend.

• Like 2

Don't agree farang down south falang going north.

As we don't forget it's either a :-

A village in Iran, Farang, Iran.

"Folangji" a European gun also known as "folangji" in Ming China a Breech-loading swivel gun.

Farang is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from.

The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European).

People of African ancestry may be called in Thai, farang dam ('black farang') to distinguish them from white people.

This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States military maintained bases in Thailand.

There’s also ‘ Farangie ’ once enemy of the United federation of planets.laugh.pnglaugh.png

Don't agree farang down south falang going north.

As we don't forget it's either a :-

A village in Iran, Farang, Iran.

"Folangji" a European gun also known as "folangji" in Ming China a Breech-loading swivel gun.

Farang is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from.

The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European).

People of African ancestry may be called in Thai, farang dam ('black farang') to distinguish them from white people.

This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States military maintained bases in Thailand.

There’s also ‘ Farangie ’ once enemy of the United federation of planets.laugh.pnglaugh.png

Think we should "pin" that so the topic doesn't come up again.

Shall we have a vote on it....?........smile.png

• Like 1

My favourite time of strangers shouting out farang in the street was when walking with an English chap one day the usual young thai kids saw us and shouted out farang. For a joke, I called the little kid a monkey. So who complains? It's the guy I was walking with who said "you can't call 'em monkeys, that's racist."

Unfortunately, the thai apologist farangs can't see the double standard. In fact these farangs don't even know the definition of the word racism.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

My favourite time of strangers shouting out farang in the street was when walking with an English chap one day the usual young thai kids saw us and shouted out farang. For a joke, I called the little kid a monkey. So who complains? It's the guy I was walking with who said "you can't call 'em monkeys, that's racist."

Unfortunately, the thai apologist farangs can't see the double standard. In fact these farangs don't even know the definition of the word racism.

So a little kid called you a guava and you called him a monkey?

Wonderful.

I can see this point. I would prefer being referred to as....farang did this, farang do that....

if they were to sit around at talk about me like......monkey do that, then monkey do this...

big difference....

So a little kid called you a guava and you called him a monkey?

Wonderful.

Like I said, I have no problem with it. Monkey was not intended as a racial term, I call my own son a little monkey from time to time.

My only problem is with the double standard whites.

Edited by Time Traveller