Car model recommendations - looking to buy in Thailand

^A Vigo Prerunner is what I used to own, and it is harder to drive in Bangkok than a big SUV in that you normally have rear bumper mounted backup sensors, mirrors & cameras with an SUV (I know modern pickups have them too), so if you factor in modern pickup with reversing camera, probably not except for the length of the bed (tray) in internal carpark structures.

OK didn't realise there was much a difference in their dimensions..

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ummm, has anyone asked the OP what their budget is? ;)

For all we know, he could actually be in Benz GL class territory, and everyone here is suggesting he buy water on a champagne budget :)

Ummm, has anyone asked the OP what their budget is? wink.png

For all we know, he could actually be in Benz GL class territory, and everyone here is suggesting he buy water on a champagne budget smile.png

Did you read his post lol

He can't decide between tuna or pj or something similar.

I can only assume he doesn't want to spend 9 million baht. cheesy.gif

^A Vigo Prerunner is what I used to own, and it is harder to drive in Bangkok than a big SUV in that you normally have rear bumper mounted backup sensors, mirrors & cameras with an SUV (I know modern pickups have them too), so if you factor in modern pickup with reversing camera, probably not except for the length of the bed (tray) in internal carpark structures.

The Vigo is 17" that's 1 foot 5" English 43cm metric longer than a Tuna nose to tail. Don't know about other makes/models. Just a bit of trivia. Edited by fredob43

The Vigo is 17" that's 1 foot 5" English 43cm metric longer than a Tuna nose to tail. Don't know about other makes/models. Just a bit of trivia.

Interesting.. I wonder if 4door Triton is longer than pathetic sport?

Colorado Trailblazer about the same

Trailblazer 4878

Colorado 5280 something

40 cm, must be the bumper lol

anyways, I don't see a huge enough difference in length to be honest - for example it's easier to see outside a vigo rearwards than tuna - yes i have driven both so any extra length can easily be argued (by me lol) is offset by better visibility.

Colorado Trailblazer about the same

Trailblazer 4878

Colorado 5280 something

40 cm, must be the bumper lol

anyways, I don't see a huge enough difference in length to be honest - for example it's easier to see outside a vigo rearwards than tuna - yes i have driven both so any extra length can easily be argued (by me lol) is offset by better visibility.

There is quite a difference Tuna is 4695 Vigo 5260 you must be very tall as my mere 6f didn't enable me to see the end of my Vigo box using the rear mirror through the slit they call a window, first thing I put on was a R camera. Edited by fredob43

For all we know, he could actually be in Benz GL class territory, and everyone here is suggesting he buy water on a champagne budget smile.png

Forgive me.. but if your knowledge of Thai motoring comes from these forums, Tuna's, PJ's and Mysterious Utilities all you're ever going to know...

Too many posters with tall poppy syndrome here, so many posters never go near discussing anything worth > 2M Baht.

• Like 1

Forgive me.. but if your knowledge of Thai motoring comes from these forums, Tuna's, PJ's and Mysterious Utilities all you're ever going to know...

Too many posters with tall poppy syndrome here, so many posters never go near discussing anything worth > 2M Baht.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile a

Having a bad day?

From the OP's post.....

Only model I hate is Honda CRV but can't decide between likes of Fortuner, Pajero etc.

Any recommendations on best value for money, performance, reliability etc so I can focus in on few dealerships?

Last time I checked they were not more than 1.5 million or so. Sounds to me like he has a budget in mind.

So if you think this means + 2 million Baht.... well you obviously much better at mind reading than me...rolleyes.gif

If you can afford them I recommend Toyota Land Cruiser or Volvo XC90. Fortuner, Pajero and the similar types are basicly covered pick-ups and not very comfortable vehicles.

Where does one buy a Landcruiser in Thailand and how much are they.

Many importers, up to about 8m baht.

Don't know about the OP but if I bought an SUV I would want one that rode more like a car and not a truck. Many of the SUVs are built on a truck chassis. My recommendation would be, first, pick out the models that appeal to you visually and then take a test ride in each one to see which ride you like the best.

Good luck.

Don't know about the OP but if I bought an SUV I would want one that rode more like a car and not a truck. Many of the SUVs are built on a truck chassis. My recommendation would be, first, pick out the models that appeal to you visually and then take a test ride in each one to see which ride you like the best.

Good luck.

Yea there ones like the new Mazda or Subaru although smaller than truck based SUV's here, there are in a similar budget range the OP stated he is looking for.

For future saleability and I don't mean value, I mean buyers I am told it is best to stick with Toyota or Izuzu. Toyota I am told has more power in the mountains and Izuzu is best for economy. Having said that, I bought a new triton for 650,000.00

Toyota is the best seller -- and a lot of folks buy it for that reason without ever making a real comparison with the competition.

I'm still driving my 2010 Triton (a fabulous machine and I love it), but recently I test drove a new Fortuner and new Pajero Sport.

Frankly, I much prefer the Pajero for ride, comfort, build quality and smoothness. Also, my Mitsubishi dealer is absolutely superb

in customer service and vehicle maintenance.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think inside and out the Pajero has much nicer styling and better looks.

In Chiang Mai, it seems like there are at least as many Pajero Sports on the road as Fortuners. And the Pajeros looks so good.

How much did you pay for your Pajero, Brad, and what kind of freebies did they give you?

For future saleability and I don't mean value, I mean buyers I am told it is best to stick with Toyota or Izuzu. Toyota I am told has more power in the mountains and Izuzu is best for economy. Having said that, I bought a new triton for 650,000.00

Toyota is the best seller -- and a lot of folks buy it for that reason without ever making a real comparison with the competition.

I'm still driving my 2010 Triton (a fabulous machine and I love it), but recently I test drove a new Fortuner and new Pajero Sport.

Frankly, I much prefer the Pajero for ride, comfort, build quality and smoothness. Also, my Mitsubishi dealer is absolutely superb

in customer service and vehicle maintenance.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think inside and out the Pajero has much nicer styling and better looks.

In Chiang Mai, it seems like there are at least as many Pajero Sports on the road as Fortuners. And the Pajeros looks so good.

How much did you pay for your Pajero, Brad, and what kind of freebies did they give you?

As I said, I'm still driving my 2010 Triton. Sorry for the confusion.

I considered the pros & cons of Pajero vs Triton. The two vehicles are similar in many ways. Very good

ways. If I sell the Triton and buy a Pajero I'll give up the ability to haul big stuff, like a refrigerator.

But, with the Pajero I'll be able to pick up 5 friends at the airport with all their luggage out of the rain.

The Triton can't do that. I've decided to go with the Pajero, just waiting for a good deal.

Edited by BradinAsia

If you like a big 7 seater SUV, the Fortuner, MUX and Pajero are all good quality. I guess it comes to personal preference. Suggest you test drive the 3 models to decide. For resale value, clearly the Fortuner is the best of the 3 models as it is the most popular SUV in Thailand.