beware new taxi scam

englandman

got in yellow meter taxi reg number 2569 woman in her 30's red thirt jeans long hair tied back agreed price 1200bht to pattaya from bangkok airport. gets to pattaya she wants 1500bht refuses to open trunk so i can get my luggage i shouted at her about our agreement she calls police they take her side i have pay. from now i iwill ask for writeen contract reset first full licence details or ask them to put meter on which theys should by law if you ask and it should start 35bht.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I was thinking after reading this.  Often, a taxi driver will quote you a price and not include the toll road fee.   From Bangkok to Pattaya the fee might be 1200 baht w/ 300 baht added to pay for the tolls.  BUT, from Bangkok to the Swamp 1200-1500 baht seems excessive, IMHO. 

• Like 1

and an additional question: where in BKK airport did you get the taxi? Probably not downstairs at the standard taxi stand, because there, the price and the destination is clearly written down and always includes tolls and with that, you could have proven the price agreed. 

• Like 1

Sorry to say that I don't think that 1,500bt is over the top for her having to do a 200km round trip. I would be happy to pay that anytime if it included the toll fee's.
But must agree that a price is a price so she should have stuck to it.
  • Like 1

Despite idiots saying 1500 isn't over the top, what over the top means is versus the normal price in this country, not in some other country. And based on my experience the OP was right, 1200 is a pretty normal price, 1500 was far more than normal.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 2

and an additional question: where in BKK airport did you get the taxi? Probably not downstairs at the standard taxi stand, because there, the price and the destination is clearly written down and always includes tolls and with that, you could have proven the price agreed. 

Why bother replying if you don't read the OP?

At the downstairs taxi rank, I am always quoted 1500 baht to Pattaya, tolls included. I am always handed a slip of paper which includes the drivers name, in case of conflict.

Now, if the OP caught a taxi from somewhere else, such as outside the departures area, it is pot luck.

This is my experience as well.

I travel on a monthly basis, at the very least, and always head for the public taxi stand on the ground floor. The quoted Pattaya fare, for the last few years, has always been Bt1,500, tolls included. There is no meter option - that is only for travel into Bangkok, I believe. 

Up to a year or two back I sometimes negotiated it down to Bt1,300. tolls excluded, but have not done so in the recent past as I consider the quoted price to be more than fair, with rarely, if ever, a queue and reasonable drivers. After a long flight I really cannot think of any other airport that provides such a hassle free service. 

• Like 1

So you took the taxi from the line in the basement at Swampy? The one run by the airport with the army  supervising. You should have received a piece of paper with quoted price on it.

Or did you take one from the arrival level? The unregulated one.

At the downstairs taxi rank, I am always quoted 1500 baht to Pattaya, tolls included. I am always handed a slip of paper which includes the drivers name, in case of conflict.

Now, if the OP caught a taxi from somewhere else, such as outside the departures area, it is pot luck.

This is my experience as well.

I travel on a monthly basis, at the very least, and always head for the public taxi stand on the ground floor. The quoted Pattaya fare, for the last few years, has always been Bt1,500, tolls included. There is no meter option - that is only for travel into Bangkok, I believe. 

Up to a year or two back I sometimes negotiated it down to Bt1,300. tolls excluded, but have not done so in the recent past as I consider the quoted price to be more than fair, with rarely, if ever, a queue and reasonable drivers. After a long flight I really cannot think of any other airport that provides such a hassle free service. 

The poster above wins the cigar.

Correct, meter for Bkk only, outside Bkk fares are listed in the taxi.

[attachment=276487:taxi-rates-from-bangkok_1.jpg]

• Like 1

1500 Baht is the standard price from the taxi stand and this includes tolls.  If you try to cut corners and go the unofficial route you only have yourself to blame.  You have no come back.

I second an earlier post recommending Mr. T.  1,000 baht all in.  Brilliant service.

• Like 1

This use to be a big problem in NYC before I moved there.  They then started writing the fares on a piece of paper and giving it to you before you got into the taxi.  Sounds like Swampy does this, but not sure if DM does.

Really sad the police sided with them.  You could always file a police report?  Or call the hotline.  Not sure anything will happen, but it's worth a try.

I hope this isn't a new thing that's being tried....

Gotta love the way people on these forums throw the word 'scam' around at the drop of a hat. 

Agree... and mostly newbies who come here, sign in, post one or two threads and are never seen back and never answer any questions... 

I travel almost every month and never use the public taxi's at BKK airport. I've used Mr T for almost 2 years now, Patts to BKK THB900, from BKK to Patts THB1000 both fares include the Tolls. In the 2 years I've never been let down by this Service.

• Like 1