New UK Passport- Overstay-what to do when it arrives?

So when/if your new UK passport finally arrives, what do you have to do. if you are on overstay?

Can you just roll up to the overstay dept at Swampy airport with your old and new passports, pay the overstay and hop on a plane out of the country?

Or do you have to go to Immigration, get your old expired entry stamps etc transferred to your new passport first?

And do you need a letter from the embassy or any place else to do this?

It depends on the type of permission to stay you had before it expired. Was it on arrival stamp based on entry with a visa or visa-exempt entry, or was it an extension of stay?

Is it only your visa that has expired, or also your permission to stay?

If you are on an extension of stay then you first have to go to immigration and have the stamps transferred. I don't know jow thay will handle the overstay as there have been difffering reports in the past.

Edited by wayned

You apparently were on a 30 day visa exempt entry not a visa on arrival. A visa on arrival only gives a 15 day entry and you pay 1000 baht for it..

You can pay the overstay on departure from the country at the airport.

• Like 1

You apparently were on a 30 day visa exempt entry not a visa on arrival. A visa on arrival only gives a 15 day entry and you pay 1000 baht for it..

As I recollect, the OP is on overstay due to late arrival of a UK replacement passport where the original was so full that no further extension stamps cold be physically added.

OP had a series of medical extensions on an original 30 day visa exempt.

OP is travelling to BKK to collect the new passport from Chiang Mai and wants to directly leave Thailand/pay overstay and not return to Chiang Mai first to transfer stamps.

• Like 1

As I recollect, the OP is on overstay due to late arrival of a UK replacement passport where the original was so full that no further extension stamps cold be physically added.

OP is travelling to BKK to collect the new passport from Chiang Mai and wants to directly leave Thailand/pay overstay and not return to Chiang Mai first to transfer stamps.

Thats correct.

I would like to be sure before I leave chiang mai, that I can just go from trendy to the airport and pay overstay and fly out

What days/hours would overstay office be open at Don Muang/swampy airports?

And I guess trendy is not open saturdays to collect the passport?

Thats correct.

I would like to be sure before I leave chiang mai, that I can just go from trendy to the airport and pay overstay and fly out

What days/hours would overstay office be open at Don Muang/swampy airports?

And I guess trendy is not open saturdays to collect the passport?

Trendy does not offer Saturdays for new UK passport collection (although they do offer a VIP Visa collection service on this day - at a cost)

The medical extensions are not the same as doing annual extensions. And even if you were on an annual extension you could clear the overstay at the airport since there would be nothing valid to transfer from one passport to the other.

You can go to the airport pay the fine and leave. The overstay desks are open all the time.

• Like 1

Just got this in an email from the UK Consulate

Regarding a current visa in your new passport. When you receive a new passport in Bangkok you can visit our office in Chiang Mai between 0900-1130 hrs, Monday to Friday (or you can visit our Embassy in Bangkok – opening hours can be checked from:www.gov.uk/world/thailand ) for a Performa letter about details of your old and new passport and visa type. You will be completed the information and we will stamp for you. There is NO cost involved for this. The immigration require a Performa letter and they can then transfer a stamp from your old passport to the new passport. After that they can sort out an overstay and visa extension for you.

Is it really necessary?

Wont they just sort it all out at the airport?

I don't want to visit embassies etc if I don't have to, it's another big waste of time effort and expense, but I don't want to get turned back at the airport and miss my flight.

Is there an Immigration Helpline I can ring to be 100% on this?

I want to book a flight asap before they're sold out

Edited by rikki

Regarding a current visa in your new passport. When you receive a new passport in Bangkok you can visit our office in Chiang Mai between 0900-1130 hrs, Monday to Friday (or you can visit our Embassy in Bangkok – opening hours can be checked from:www.gov.uk/world/thailand ) for a Performa letter about details of your old and new passport and visa type. You will be completed the information and we will stamp for you. There is NO cost involved for this. The immigration require a Performa letter and they can then transfer a stamp from your old passport to the new passport. After that they can sort out an overstay and visa extension for you.

Is it really necessary?

I don't want to visit embassies etc if I don't have to, it's another big waste of time effort and expense, but I don't want to get turned back at the airport and miss my flight.

Ubonjoe posting above has made the very valid point that you have no valid stamps to transfer, so just go to the airport with the cash an hour earlier and wing it.

If you get to trendy early (08:30) you may still have time to go to the UK Embassy in BKK and get there before 11:00 to get a transfer authorization letter, just in case they ask for it at the airport.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Is it really necessary?

You do not need to go to immigration. You can just go to the airport and they will handle the stamps and overstay.

• Like 1

Is it really necessary?

You do not need to go to immigration. You can just go to the airport and they will handle the stamps and overstay.

I hope the Embassy will confirm that for me

cos I just got this from them

"As far as we understand you require a Performa letter

from our Embassy. You can get it if you are in Bangkok"

Edited by rikki

Is it really necessary?

I hope the Embassy will confirm that for me

cos I just got this from them

"As far as we understand you require a Performa letter

from our Embassy. You can get it if you are in Bangkok"

If you wished to err on the side of caution (for which I personally wouldn't blame you), you would probably be best advised to follow digitalchromakey's suggestion in post #12:

If you get to trendy early (08:30) you may still have time to go to the UK Embassy in BKK and get there before 11:00 to get a transfer authorization letter, just in case they ask for it at the airport.

Called Immigration and was told that as I was on 30 day visa I can show up and pay overstay at airport

Previously you posted that you were on an overstay, having last received a Medical Extension from Chiang Mai Immigration as the last stamp in your old passport - this is not a visa, but it is expired.

Maybe you should call immigration again and check.

I picked up my passport this morning then went to the airport. I was told to check in and my overstay would be dealt with after I went through security,at the final check. So I was taken into an office to pay almost 2weeks overstay and get some stamps put on my new passport..this took 15minutes.then I waited for my plane. No problem

• Like 1