Due to new visa regulations can I find teaching employment legally in Thailand?

With regard to the current visa crackdown in Thailand I would appreciate some feedback, comments or advice on my present situation.

I have just paid 975 pounds sterling to sit an internationally accredited 1 month long TESOL course. Not some 2-3 day weekend course, as I believe, like most of you who have voiced their opinions on other forums, that sitting a 2-3 day course, does not qualify you in anyway to teach English. To be honest, I am not yet convinced a month long course makes me qualified to teach English as a foreign language. I didn't design the course but it is used to teach English in many countries throughout the world. Hopefully I will receive much in depth knowledge and experience to teach English as a foreign language. I have actually taught English voluntarily in Surin province and enjoyed it. Not my preferred line of work but one I feel I can excel in and had hoped would allow me to stay in the country I want to live in.

When I moved to Thailand in 2007, I had my own company, paid taxes and did everything by the book. The company failed and I lost everything, but during that time I put myself, when I had the time, through various Thai language schools. Wanting to live in Thailand I thought it only polite to try and learn the language. Right now, I speak, read and write Thai to an advanced level and I am still learning. I have a reasonable grasp of the Thai way of life because of this. Tonally, I am pretty much 100% correct. It has taken me years to perfect. I have even taught myself how to type in Thai.

What I don't have is a degree. I have a diploma. Every job advertised in Thailand seems to require a degree.

Which is why I have opted to change career to allow me to work and live in the country I want to be in.

So my question is "is there anyway I can teach in Thailand now without having a degree?"

Now I have read two sides of the argument about English teaching in Thailand. Some of you say that many are unqualified and should be put out the country. Others say that rural areas will be deprived of English teachers.

Am I not educated well enough?

With the clamp down is that Thailand all over for me now?

Surely my years of learning Thai cannot be going to waste?

If you Thai is as perfect as you say, why not live in Thailand, but teach Thai to lovesick punters in the west via the internet.

Degree or no degree, you still need to think to get ahead...

Unfortunately, they have just changed the visa regulations. I would not be able to stay in Thailand for more than 2 months

If you Thai is as perfect as you say, why not live in Thailand, but teach Thai to lovesick punters in the west via the internet.

Degree or no degree, you still need to think to get ahead...

Unfortunately, they have just changed the visa regulations. I would not be able to stay in Thailand for more than 2 months

There are no new visa regulations. You can still get, e.g. a triple entry tourist visa in your home country for up to 270 days of stay, while you look for work.

Edited by paz

Due to new visa regulations can I find teaching employment legally in Thailand?

To work in Thailand, to be employed as a teacher, you need a work permit. If a school can get a work permit for you, you can teach, otherwise you cannot. This has nothing to do with visa regulations, new or old.

• Like 1

Op. Sign up and study for a degree. After about 6 months they should / may give you a teaching waiver. You will also have to take additional courses / tests to get a teaching license. The only degree course that fits a working teachers life is Thongsook college TESOL.

Additionally the rumors are that at a government school the principal can sign an override letter confirming that the teacher is required and they can't find a (BA qualified teacher)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

I thought it was illegal to teach without a degree? 'qualified' or not.

Bear in mind that the legality of teaching without a degree also depends on whether you are teaching in a government school, language school, private (EP/international) school, government or private university.

I work in a local international school and this new ruling makes it very difficult for us to find good qualified teachers. My suggestion to you would be to get a masters degree from one of the local universities that offer the degree in English. Once you have completed your degree then you will be able to teach English in Thailand. But you must also understand that many of the international schools want you to have an Undergraduate degree in elementary education so you will have the foundation courses needed. Thailand is finally cracking down and requiring all who want to teach to have degrees in education.If you have a college degree then you could possibly teach at a Thai. university in their English program.As you are well aware the International schools do pay much better than the Thai universities (well, at least most of them). If your degree is in business then you might be able to teach at places like Stamford or any university that offers business courses.Anyway Good Luck.