Helping prisoner

stevoboy

Hello,I have a friend who it's currently serving a prison sentence at the Womans correctional unit in Thanyabulee Pratumtanee.At this time i'm outside of Thailand but would like to help her with money to buy the essentials that she needs to survive in a Thai prison.She doesn't have any other outside help, only me.She told me in limited English that i can send money via the post office but i have no idea how to go about this.The prison is to far away to ask my friends in Thailand to take the money for me.Thanks
Sent from my GT-S5830i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same Girl?

I lived with a junkie for 3 years and I can assure you its hopeless unless she wants to help herself.Yabba and Ice gets such a grip on the person that's its nearly impossible to stop.Also be careful of mood changes because some dangerous situations can arise.My ex girlfriend its now doing 3 years for dealing so that was my escape.My advice is to finish with her, but be careful how you do it.Good luck

Stevo ... she has no Family in Thailand?

What you may need is her name written in both English and Thai (if possible) and her prison inmate number.  Then you may need to write a very simple letter to the Prison asking how to send her funds include her name and inmate number. The prison may have a special banking account set up for receiving such funds. Try that route.  Then hope you get a reply.  Alternately, you may need to locate an honest Thai Lawyer to act for you.

Why don't you send your junkie convict a package instead. Then she can't buy drugs.

Why speak with contempt if you don't the whole story?

stevoboy, on 26 Mar 2014 - 02:48, said:snapback.png

I lived with a junkie for 3 years and I can assure you its hopeless unless she wants to help herself.Yabba and Ice gets such a grip on the person that's its nearly impossible to stop.Also be careful of mood changes because some dangerous situations can arise.My ex girlfriend its now doing 3 years for dealing so that was my escape.My advice is to finish with her, but be careful how you do it.Good luck

Does this help?

• Like 1

Why don't you send your junkie convict a package instead. Then she can't buy drugs.

Why speak with contempt if you don't the whole story?

stevoboy, on 26 Mar 2014 - 02:48, said:snapback.png

Does this help?

That's the whole story?

That's the whole story?

Drug dealer gets convicted goes to prison. It's called the Law.

Whether you or I agree or not it's the Law. Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

• Like 2

Prisoners can spend up to THB 200 per day from their prison accounts (prisoners don't hold cash). If the OP wants to send money remotely he should send something payable in baht that can be traced to the point of delivery. If he includes an SAE they may even send him their official, serial numbered receipt. A copy of her ID would help, given the probs re language re identifying the right prisoner.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

"Why don't you send your junkie convict a package instead."

Money might now be the only way he can help her.

Because of a lot of prisons having problems with the contents of packages sent to prisoners, some, if not all, have stopped taking them.  Not even in person. 

I think it may be difficult to make a direct transfer to her from outside Thailand.

But if she says you can send money using the post office, then that is likely to be the domestic money transfer service only.

I suggest your friends in Thailand (through their Thai speaking wives or whatever), contacts the Prison directly and asks what needs to put on the money order as payee and what post office the prison will cash the money order at.

I think you will then need to send the money to your friends in Thailand who will then need to pop to any post office to make the domestic money transfer - the fees are very cheap.

She will be having a very tough time in Prison without any help from the outside..

"I don’t think so as you need to get a Thai postal order. Another way is to send money through your embassy. You need to contact them."

This is a comment from here http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/blogs/visiting-prisoners-at-samut-prakan-prison/

The article above may give a bit more info. I think it will be difficult to set up unless you get a Thai speaker to contact the prison and sort out what needs to be done.

Good luck. Everyone needs a break.  

• Like 1

As well as being totally unhelpful you also show a total lack of how things work in the real world. Do you think prisoners are walking around the prison with cash to buy drugs ? blink.png

Get real. The money this man wants to send to her to help a person in trouble will be put into her account which will enable her to spend it at the prison shop to buy toiletries and food items etc. 

Well done OP for caring enough to help. Anyone who has been to visit someone in a Thai prison knows that a little money can make life so much better. Good luck  thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

As well as being totally unhelpful you also show a total lack of how things work in the real world. Do you think prisoners are walking around the prison with cash to buy drugs ? blink.png

Get real. The money this man wants to send to her to help a person in trouble will be put into her account which will enable her to spend it at the prison shop to buy toiletries and food items etc. 

Well done OP for caring enough to help. Anyone who has been to visit someone in a Thai prison knows that a little money can make life so much better. Good luck  thumbsup.gif

You are correct, they don't buy drugs with cash.

They trade their toiletries and food for them...

Sure the OP is trying to help, but why aren't the family helping too. Probably because they were ripped off and lied to for years ??

No time for drugs, drug addicts and especially dealers. 

• Like 1

Tell you what Stevie Boy I've got a friend in Phatumtani, not the Nick. I'll ask him to drop a couple of grand around for her if you pop down to Wandsworth Nick and drop off a few soaps on a rope for Rolf Harris.

I'm sure he could use them.

• Like 2

OP, normally parcels are the way to go. The prison is mikes out from BKK, so get the name and the prison or number and address and send it. Think ATF can deliver as well
  • Like 2

That's the whole story?

Whether you or I agree or not it's the Law. Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Aw c'mon, it's not like she plundered the country to fill her own coffers or shot a cop in full view of a bunch of people and then intimidated them into not giving evidence. Is it.

That's the whole story?

Aw c'mon, it's not like she plundered the country to fill her own coffers or shot a cop in full view of a bunch of people and then intimidated them into not giving evidence. Is it.

That's why she only got three years for dealing a Class A controlled substance.

OP

http://bp.correct.go.th/doccument/handbook.pdf

http://www.correct.go.th/klong.htm

Depositing Money for Prisoners

Prisoners may not have cash but money can be deposited to their prison account. With this account, the prisoner can order certain approved items. Relations may deposit to this account by either of the following ways:

1. Cash : To deposit cash the visitor must deposit money with the officer assigned this particular duty only. This officer can be found in the deposit room in the administration building. The officer will issue the depositor a receipt, which should be checked by the depositor. Please do not leave money with any other officer, as the prison will not be held responsible for this money. Any prisoner caught trying to smuggle cash into the prison will be punished according paragraph 45 of the Correction Department Act of 1936.
  2.  Money order : Please address money oredrs to the prisoner, including their full name, their building and ask the money to be paid via the Jatujuck or Ngarmwongwan road post office

This is for Khlong Prison - can not read thai well enough to find the exact one you need but the system will be the same. 

http://www.correct.go.th/correct2009/upload/files/information/Ratchatun.pdf

Page 54 here as well. 

Division: Prison District Pathum 

Index News: 
News: The Bang Bang obtain information prisons. 
Assistant Executive Bang Bang Prison Building, 2nd Floor, 78 Moo 4 Tambon Rangsit Pathumthani province 0-2577-2341,0-2577-1250 phone on 12110 11 E-mail: [email protected].

This seems to be the Corrections district office - call them and ask perhaps (dont bother with an email). 

This should be enough to be going along with. 

• Like 1

When I lived on Samui I used to go to the prison there once a month or so and take a few roast chickens, some fruit, some Thai food that was swapped to the Katoeys for laundry, some books and old DVD's for the Farang inside. I didn't know any of them personally but I was told that the food etc was well received. It didn't cost a lot and it is good to be nice. As said I wouldn't like to be inside and here you don't even have to be guilty to end up inside just upset the wrong person. 

Where drugs are concerned they are sick and not bad. They need to be treated as such. Sadly jails around the world are filled with people who for me shouldn't be inside but that is just my opinion.

The guy is only trying to help an old GF who is now his friend and needs to be thanked for doing so wink.png

• Like 1