English teachers, unable to change their career or can they?

Do you guys think English teachers can make a career move once they get stuck in this path?

I've been asked quite a few times by English teachers if I can help them get a "normal" job, but every time I politely turn them down. Saying that my company is not looking to hire new people. The truth is that I could help them if I wanted to, but the thought of hiring someone who is teaching English just doesn't appeal to me. Even if the candidate has past experience in some other field besides teaching.

It becomes even worse for fresh-grads that have no working experience and take up a teaching job in Thailand. After a while they get comfortable with the salary / lifestyle and they completely ignore the fact that they're not building a career. At least not a career they graduated for. Many also refuse to start on entry-level jobs as they feel their degree entitles them to a certain position or salary.

I am temped to bluntly tell the next English teacher who asks me for a job that we don't hire their kind, but that's too rude for my character. 

Any thought and experience you can share? I'm trying to compile a standard speech for these people to get them motivated to start looking for themselves, without being a douchebag. 

My thought has always been that people put way way too much thought and time into their career paths. They avoid gaps in employment like it is the plague in an effort to appease some would be employer. They essentially let their future run their lives. Everyone is different, I know I could not be happy in life without the following model: work jobs to make money, save as much money as you can, be frugal, enjoy your money and your off time and don't worry about future employers so much, and when the time is right open up a small business, and give it your all. That way you can have something going, and don't need any damn references. So, you got them, you can give the big middle finger to all those would be employers, which ruin oh so many lives. 

• Like 1

It's a difficult one to be fair, there are some people over here who are working as an English Teacher, because that's the only job they could get, but they have far more experience or skills than that really. Thailand is about networking, especially if you are here, without a job or your first job is as an English teacher. Different if you have been sent by your company.

I certainly wouldn't right someone off for a job, just based on the fact that they are teaching English. There are a few people here now, who have been here a long time, and have been in the right place at the right time, which has led to them getting a good , well paying job, with a career path. Treat each person as an individual. as opposed to tarring all English Teachers with the stereotypical brush. 

• Like 2

It's a difficult one to be fair, there are some people over here who are working as an English Teacher, because that's the only job they could get, but they have far more experience or skills than that really. Thailand is about networking, especially if you are here, without a job or your first job is as an English teacher. Different if you have been sent by your company.

I certainly wouldn't right someone off for a job, just based on the fact that they are teaching English. There are a few people here now, who have been here a long time, and have been in the right place at the right time, which has led to them getting a good , well paying job, with a career path. Treat each person as an individual. as opposed to tarring all English Teachers with the stereotypical brush. 

"I certainly wouldn't right [sic] someone off for a job, just based on the fact that they [sic] are teaching English."

Yes, that wouldn't be write.

"...there are some people over here who are working as an English Teacher, because that's the only job they could get ..."

Not exactly something that would be considered a selling point though, would it?

It might be true that people should be judged individually, but if someone has taken a position as an English teacher in Thailand because his/her qualifications and experience have not opened any doors elsewhere in the world, either as a teacher of English or in a position for which s/he is supposedly qualified, that suggests a level of desperation that doesn't bode well. Probably better if s/he would go back to his/her country of origin and get some work experience that might be considered by someone hiring for "normal" work.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Teaching English overseas developes a unique skill set.....pros and cons.
For youngish people: adaptability, ability to self-govern etc etc.
Counters the 'playboy' backpacker impression.
For the not so young people: dilligent, actively contributing etc etc.
Counters the 'long-stay 'playboy'' impression.

For a job application, you promote your strengths.

IMHO and experiance....teaching English in Asia should be mandatory for western management level candidates!

Succesfully teaching English (in Asia) requires, atleast, management level skills.

Ofcourse it depends on the job you are aiming for.
Any job involving people...you have a proven skill set.
A post at NASA....'taught in Thailand'...best to avoid embarressment

Again, the ability to teach English overseas isn't a rut... its a global passport for a lifetime of travel and adventure.

Ask my UK banking friends..lots of dosh, but still in the red, etc etc....zero freedom.
I teach English in exotic locations across the globe, year after year...my life is rich.
  • Like 1

Suradit, firstly why are you being grammar police? it makes you look like a fool

Secondly, do you actually have any responsibility for employing anyone here?

My point is, that some people move to Thailand on sabbaticals from their regular jobs, sometimes on early retirement, or wanting to do something different. There are limited options to work legally, but there are probably significant people around that might be teaching English at present, that actually have something to offer businesses through qualification and experience. The other part is, that when looking at CV's it's good to see people who have gone outside the 'box" or their comfort zone so as to speak, as it shows a willingness to adapt, take new challenges etc  Please note that I don't attribute that to all "English Teachers". 

Your last couple of sentences makes you look like a tard. 

Edited by mrtoad

"I've been asked quite a few times by English teachers if I can help them get a "normal" job, but every time I politely turn them down."

Well maybe that mentality (and not their current job) is the reason they can not get another job, they need to learn to sell themselves and offer something of value.

Seems like the type of person who would move to SEA and teach ESL isn't the type who will value "corporate success" or the traditional career, if they were then they'd be back home doing that presumably. I've met a few "success" cases of ESL teachers: one who started off at under $1,000 a month and is now teaching IELTS and doing examinations and making (I'm guessing) $3,000+ per month doing one day of teaching a week. He's obviously got skill and business acumen. I've met others who got proper teaching certification to be able to work in "real" international schools, I guess they make good money but teaching spoiled brats doesn't seem rewarding. Others have networked into corporate jobs but a lot of these become stuck-up and douchey and look down on ESL teachers, I don't respect that. Another one I know started an ESL school in Oz and makes apparently quite a good income working a couple of hours a day.

But if someone enjoys what they're doing, the ESL field is going to be around for our lifetimes, it's a stable job albeit with not such good prospects for advancement.

I will confess after a long career hiring and mentoring everyone from 'lots of potential, not much experience" to "a master of his craft" ... I am a bit mystified by your posting.  It seems to defy a core bit of logic that if a person has the right skills, attitude, work ethic and is a match for the corporate culture, they certainly should be considered for a position with the firm.

I am confident that no blanket statement can be made regarding in the general sense, the skills of all those who chose to teach English.  Some are highly organised, hard working, ethical, punctual, professional and skilled ... etc...  Others are "not so much."  This, however, applies to every profession in the world.

I am not sure what ax you are grinding here, since you have stated that, "The truth is that I could help them if I wanted to, but the thought of hiring someone who is teaching English just doesn't appeal to me. Even if the candidate has past experience in some other field besides teaching."

Therefore, some candidates do possess other skills, and some may even have college degrees and experience specific to your business.

Your thesis is a bit absurd, since you are saying that even if a person was a great hire, you would not ... because they chose to take a job teaching?

I suppose it would matter if they did not have the correct education ... I mean if your are hiring petroleum engineers ... yes, it would be nice to have a degree in that ... and experience would be handy.

But I am guessing your company is not hiring a "high skill set" since this then would not have anything to do with teaching ... it would be very skill / education based.

I would guess, if I had to, that this job is sales / marketing / client interactive... and if so ... you have sorely missed the point.  Success in those fields is very much an extension of who you are and ability to deliver effective messaging...much more than content.  Something a teacher is expert in.

We once hired a guy pumping gas ...  based on his incredible personality and sharp mind.  he only had a high school diploma.  You now the rest of the story ... he became the highest producer in the history of a company with more than 1,000 employees and sales measured in the tens of millions (USD)
So, if you do not want to sound like a "douche" .... Your current story is fine.  Or the truth may be better.

"Regardless of your education, experience, world travel, ability to get along with just about anyone, knowledge of Thailand, work ethic, cheerful and productive personality, infinite patience (try teaching a Thai English) ...etc ... I simply will not consider it for absolutely no good reason and nothing will change my mind."

At least they will have a great story to tell at the pub. Really.

Simply that they want to quit teaching (ESL in Thailand) shows that they realize what a waste of time and effort it is. The deluded ones greeting parents at the gate at 6:30 in the morning with a dumb grin on their faces would never apply. Give them a chance.

Edited by BudRight

I also do not understand the OP. What's wrong with being an English teacher? In the last few days I have met quite a few teachers that are professional in their work and good people.

I could also not get any work in Thailand in my previous field in the O&G business. For my previous position, the companies only want Thai nationals.

Then I moved into the entertainment industry ( a supplier branch of it) and due to the economy and the political situation, our company has lost revenue.

I am now doing a TESOL course with a reputable school and I am very pleasantly surprised at how positive it all is.

If someone wants to get out of teaching, why not give them a chance? Sure, there are time-wasters and dilettantes out there, but look at people's experience and previous careers. Then make a judgement call.

• Like 2

...I have people coming up to me who brag of drinking "up to 7 beers in an afternoon" -

then they follow with "how do I get a teaching job?"

Sorry OP but after reading your post I think your cause is lost and you will continue to be the thing you wish to avoid ... a douchebag! 

OK, I'll be the first one to call the OP a troll.
The post doesn't make any sense.

+1. Nonsense arrogant rubbish.

I'm not a teacher but i have some great teacher friends who are very hard workers and teach for a variety of reasons.  Hope i never reach a point where i look down on people for their chosen profession..

• Like 1

no one with any sense works simply to develop a career - the purpose of a career is to pay for the lifestyle that you want to have.  I think that if someone is prepared to take a lower paid, lower skilled job, to be able to live the lifestyle that they enjoy then it demonstrates far greater ambition than people who spend their entire lives trying to make the next step up no matter what the cost.  Ambition is aiming for what you want from life and it is not always possible to be where you want to be at the level you might enjoy elsewhere.  The original poster simply displays arrogance IMHO and is the same type of person who would claim workers from XXX area are "always lazy".  Work is important for survival but when you allow it to take over your life then you are depriving yourself (and often your loved ones) of the more important joys of simply living!

Exactly. The French and scandies have got it right

I don't believe in these corporate contracts that always state 'you will work the hours required to do your job effectively', how about I work the hours as per my contract and if I can't do the job effectively you have either under resourced the roll and need to get an extra pair of hands, or I am not good enough at my job and deserve to be sacked. For a number of years I put up with the 12hr days and weekends, but now I've put my deposit on my house down and I'm at a level where whatever job I do I can afford the monthly payments.. I'm 29 now and these companies can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned. I'm leaving before 6pm to go play guitar, have a few jars in the pub and or hang out with the wife. When the kids come along I'll be leaving bang on my contracted hours or earlier whenever possible.

Natural career progression is the way forward, not these career pushing carrnts stomping around and making noise in the office. W4nkers. Can't wait to retire lol Edited by Grindting

The reputation of foreign English teachers is based on the idea that that is the only job they can easily get.  Other paths involve -having very specialized training, abilities, and degrees

-setting up a Thailand job while overseas and working then, here, for a large international company.

-having spectacular luck or getting involved with a company designed to exist to give them a work permit.

The advice to foreigners seeking long term residence and work here of "Oh, just teach English" does function, giving some rather bad teachers (NOT ALL, of course) who are basically drop-in people not fitted for the tiny range of other jobs permitted here.

This seems like an English teacher bashing post, but don't want to call you a troll. Not sure why. Nice angle, though. 

Teaching English gives you a lot of skills. It makes you look carefully at your own language (and others) and analyze it. It also does wonders for people in terms of public speaking. Insert example here...I won't bother..it's just true. Also time management and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyway, I am not sure why one being a teacher before would immediately count them out. A lot of your loathed "teachers" are like me--graduated with honors from a top university, did the corporate world, even good jobs in the public sector, and then realized teaching was a fun way to travel. That doesn't mean they don't have applicable skills for whatever position it is you are trying to fill. It seems like you are the problem here with your way of approaching this. Tell those people what the requirements are and they can apply through HR. Simple. 

In my own personal case, I just don't find that most non-teaching jobs in Thailand available for foreigners fit my skill set, so I have never applied to non-teaching jobs here (in fact, got the teaching job by word of mouth and never did a proper job search for it). But that doesn't mean that some people don't. 

These people aren't crazy weirdos...they just know you might have an idea for employment outside of teaching, so they ask you. Be a professional and just refer them to the appropriate department.

• Like 1

Sorry OP but after reading your post I think your cause is lost and you will continue to be the thing you wish to avoid ... a douchebag! 

i think op is saying like it is.     The majority of em just dont have any motivation other thn to stay in los.  Plus i hear english teacher are in it for the free girls they attract..........lol.