not a lot of tourists?

i claudius

The "high roller" Russians of past years are said to avoid Pattaya due to the "low roller" Russians' influx.

Two quite different cultural and economic groups who it seems don't mix well and who have have only a language in common.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good. I hope all the Russians will decide to go there.

The guys, yes, but their hot girlfriends, NO!

Maybe you don't go to Jomtien very often.

2012-07-06+Pamukkale+091.jpg

He clearly said "but their hot girlfriends, NO!"

Why'd you change the goalpost? And to a larger model at that. 555

• Like 1

I was in Chiang Mai the other week. There was A LOT of tourist there.

"hot" they may look but do you ever see one smile-except perhaps when they ask for a ciggie wink.png

"hot" they may look but do you ever see one smile-except perhaps when they ask for a ciggie wink.png

Better no smile then a silly false one.

Foreigners complaining about other foreigners in a foreign country. It must be a very boring place for some...

• Like 1

Make any excuse you like. Posting photos of fat people is poor form, even if you snatched it off Google. I'm sorry, I didn't Google for fat photos and check.. Think for a moment, do you think everyone who posts here is lean. Do you think Russians don't read here... come to think of it, I'd take Russians over you any day.

I dont need to make any excuses at all, thanks, and you are more than welcome to take Russians any way you want to. Just dont do it in public.

I wouldn't mind, but I'm too old to get their attention. biggrin.png I have absolutely no beef with Russians whatsoever and I live in one of the most densely "Russian'd" areas in Pattaya - when they're around that is. It used to be a predominately British area before the Russian invasion, so the place has improved quite a bit in recent years.

The "high roller" Russians of past years are said to avoid Pattaya due to the "low roller" Russians' influx.

Two quite different cultural and economic groups who it seems don't mix well and who have have only a language in common.

Fair enough, but if I was a "high roller" I wouldn't be living here either. I'd be living it up in Farangland. It's good to know your place.

I went to tesco south tonight at 8pm. I managed to go to a checkout without lining up, in fact there were about 6 checkouts with no one. The night before at friendship it was the same..eerie.

But

Pattaya is boss, always loved coming down from Isaan but last week was absolute murder for traffic. Stay central, take the baht bus, eat at great restaurants and get pissed, happy days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm trying to figure out what traffic jams on the road have to do with check out counters in supermarkets. Do Tesco and friendship have drive through check outs these days ?

The only hope for a long term solution to the Russian problem in Pattaya is tough economic sanctions on that country by the West over the Ukrainian conflict or a severe fall in world oil price.

I personally have not noticed such a great reduction of russkies in the city. Plenty of them in Jomtien beach, in the Central and Royal Garden Plaza shopping centres. Lots of them are now living here permanently. Went to Walking street the other night and was shocked by a change since the last time I was there a few years ago. Seems like a third of it now caters to Russians only (discos, restaurants, bars, 4d cinemas, etc.). Another quarter of establishments is primarily for Middle Eastern customers. Lots of places in sois off the street lie in ruins (literally), perhaps waiting to be converted to new Russian businesses. And the number of Russians working openly in the street is so much higher than before.

Mr Putin has been told to stand on the naughty step. Every government in Western Europe is kakking it's pants in case Russia turns off the gas & oil (not an issue in July, but it will be in 4 months) or all the multi-millionaires and billionaires currently residing and spending big time in the UK, decide to go and live somewhere else, along with their money. You can always hope for tough economic sanctions, just don't expect them.

I went to tesco south tonight at 8pm. I managed to go to a checkout without lining up, in fact there were about 6 checkouts with no one. The night before at friendship it was the same..eerie.

But

Pattaya is boss, always loved coming down from Isaan but last week was absolute murder for traffic. Stay central, take the baht bus, eat at great restaurants and get pissed, happy days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm trying to figure out what traffic jams on the road have to do with check out counters in supermarkets. Do Tesco and friendship have drive through check outs these days ?

Well, you just have a terrible time when it comes to figuring out things, poor dear. Keep workin' on it!

• Like 1

I don't think it is any quieter this year than any other year, particularly at this time. Some bars are doing well, others aren't. Some put up prices to "catch up" and get no customers, others just keep the same low prices and the regulars come back and they do ok. Same same year after year.

Well, you just have a terrible time when it comes to figuring out things, poor dear. Keep workin' on it!

Well what I definitely figured out, but I don't know if that is also obvious for one who spends his life between his room and the Soi Bhua Khoaw happy hours, that in Bangkok there is horrendous traffic every day and that has nothing to do with tourists.

So probably the traffic in Pattaya during the weekend is just that. People who are traveling from point A to point B. Nothing to do with tourists.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

In my fantasies they're not able to smile because........no, better notwhistling.gif

Why? Can you explain it? I would like to know why we have to hate Russians.

I think it may come down to cultural differences and social skills. A lot of Russians are quite intelligent, and come from a country with a deep culture, and a lot of fascinating history. But, they can be very boorish, when it comes to niceties, and social behavior. Many tend to be very abrupt, and unwilling to engage in small talk, or even a simple greeting. Much of that has to be attributed to Stalinism, and the way they were discouraged to be friendly or helpful to strangers, or even neighbors, during the reign of that terribly disturbed man. I think over time, they might become more open. Some of the younger Russians seem to be a bit warmer, and more free, than the previous generation. One can only hope.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

the only way I can tell an american from a russian is that they dont speak english, but Im not american, maybe I wasnt indoctrinated as a kid in the same way, but just take a few deep breaths maybe

But then how can you tell a Brit from a Russian as neither speaks English? wink.png

I'm so glad we're doing THE RUSSIANS again. It's as if being in the movie Groundhog Day.

Edited by JSixpack

As to the traffic at the weekends ,to be honest i have found that to be a bit lighter as well,as to the bars being full i wouldnt know as the only ones i ever go to are on the darkside and very very few tourists go to them ,they only tend to thin out a little as another customer bites the dust.

As to the traffic at the weekends ,to be honest i have found that to be a bit lighter as well,as to the bars being full i wouldnt know as the only ones i ever go to are on the darkside and very very few tourists go to them ,they only tend to thin out a little as another customer bites the dust.

Getting thinner and thinner at an ever-increasing rate until--TA DA! the last one bites the dust and the bar closes. So the only ones you ever go to will shortly be but mere ruins, weathered bones gradually taken back by jungle . . . . Prepare to meet your doom, darkside bars, just like all the Pattaya bars.

I think it may come down to cultural differences and social skills. A lot of Russians are quite intelligent, and come from a country with a deep culture, and a lot of fascinating history. But, they can be very boorish, when it comes to niceties, and social behavior. Many tend to be very abrupt, and unwilling to engage in small talk, or even a simple greeting. Much of that has to be attributed to Stalinism, and the way they were discouraged to be friendly or helpful to strangers, or even neighbors, during the reign of that terribly disturbed man. I think over time, they might become more open. Some of the younger Russians seem to be a bit warmer, and more free, than the previous generation. One can only hope.

Spidermike

You're judging Russian behaviour by what you consider "normal", however you're probably quite happy to accept Thai behaviour, which is probably more different to what you're accustomed to at home than Russian behaviour.

In a world with hundreds of different nations and cultures, there is no norm. Russians would probably find your behaviour just as irritating. Obviously you consider your "normal" to be superior to their "normal" and believe they should change to your standards.

There's no point hoping because it's never going to happen.

Spidermike

You're judging Russian behaviour by what you consider "normal", however you're probably quite happy to accept Thai behaviour, which is probably more different to what you're accustomed to at home than Russian behaviour.

In a world with hundreds of different nations and cultures, there is no norm. Russians would probably find your behaviour just as irritating. Obviously you consider your "normal" to be superior to their "normal" and believe they should change to your standards.

There's no point hoping because it's never going to happen.

You really misunderstood me. I am not judging their behavior. I was making an attempt, in a very genteel way, to explain why the Russian people often disliked, and perhaps misunderstood. I do not think I am superior to the average Russian, on any level. Many are brilliant, cultured, and quite impressive. I may be more friendly, and open, but that is just who I am, and who I choose to be, and how I choose to live my life. I find Thai people to be open, friendly and warm. Most Russians I encounter are cold, aloof, and distant, by comparison. I doubt it is just me. Most of the planet seems to have the same reaction to most Russians they encounter. As I said, it is not a knock. Just an observation. I am sure there are open and friendly Russians out there. I have never met one, but I am sure they exist. If any Russians are reading this, your feedback is welcome.

No shortage of Asian tourists this weekend - not sure what the attraction is in watching people run around Pattaya in the heat, but the Marathon seems to be a big drawcard. Did wonders for the traffic today - happy to get back home and out of the madness.

You really misunderstood me. I am not judging their behavior. I was making an attempt, in a very genteel way, to explain why the Russian people often disliked, and perhaps misunderstood. I do not think I am superior to the average Russian, on any level. Many are brilliant, cultured, and quite impressive. I may be more friendly, and open, but that is just who I am, and who I choose to be, and how I choose to live my life. I find Thai people to be open, friendly and warm. Most Russians I encounter are cold, aloof, and distant, by comparison. I doubt it is just me. Most of the planet seems to have the same reaction to most Russians they encounter. As I said, it is not a knock. Just an observation. I am sure there are open and friendly Russians out there. I have never met one, but I am sure they exist. If any Russians are reading this, your feedback is welcome.

I'm fairly "cold, aloof and distant" myself in public places, so I understand Russians. Not everyone appreciates "warm and friendly". Some will find it positively disturbing.

If you want to find "cold, aloof and distant" in Pattaya, it's easy. The Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Indians, Arabs and many others fit the bill nicely. Why pick on the Russians?... and sorry, I disagree that Thais are "open, friendly and warm" in general. Have you ever seen a friendly Thai official (police, immigration etc)? I haven't. More cold and surly is hard to find. They'd give the Chinese officials a run for their money. They also have a very short fuse.

I am in Ao Nang, Krabi. I have been in Thailand almost seven months and in Ao Nang for two months. My observations are all low season. I have ventured all over Ao Nang on foot and on motorbike... almost daily. I have been going to 'resorts', bungalows, sizable hotels, small hotels, apartments and to all sorts of accommodations visiting many places to sightsee and find a place to stay for a bargain. I find (an estimate) that in this low season there is about a 25% occupancy rate. I will be amazed if at 'high season' and 'peak season' if these places will be filled beyond 50 to 60 percent. There is such an over abundance of resorts - both real and pretend that I cannot imagine a 80 - 90 percent occupancy rate as the streets would be impassable with jammed traffic as compared to now... We will see in a few months...

Example: I have taken exercise walks down the main 'tourist road' to the beach almost daily ... and despite the almost rabid Myanmar hawkers at the storefronts of the tailor shops - I have yet to see even one customer in any of the many shops.

Maybe I have a lot to learn - but I am a trained observer (military, etc.) and I see what I see ... Perhaps I will become amazed at what I see in a few months.

Maybe you don't go to Jomtien very often.

2012-07-06+Pamukkale+091.jpg

That's my girlfriend....

That's enough to turn you gay.

Oh wait. That must explain why you ...

How very dare you, come on Leonard we are going......

No shortage of Asian tourists this weekend - not sure what the attraction is in watching people run around Pattaya in the heat, but the Marathon seems to be a big drawcard. Did wonders for the traffic today - happy to get back home and out of the madness.

I was there last night and the place was packed. You have to wonder where the OP was commenting about.

• Like 1

I was there last night and the place was packed. You have to wonder where the OP was commenting about.

Is there every day a marathon in Pattaya ?

Is there every day a marathon in Pattaya ?

Marathon or no marathon, I can tell you I went for my walk at 7.30 AM on Friday and the beachfront was packed with Asian tourists. It was very difficult to walk around the many tour groups all waiting to go for their speedboat ride and para sailing adventure. It is no different than any other years that I have been here at the same time.

I am in Ao Nang, Krabi. I have been in Thailand almost seven months and in Ao Nang for two months. My observations are all low season. I have ventured all over Ao Nang on foot and on motorbike... almost daily. I have been going to 'resorts', bungalows, sizable hotels, small hotels, apartments and to all sorts of accommodations visiting many places to sightsee and find a place to stay for a bargain. I find (an estimate) that in this low season there is about a 25% occupancy rate. I will be amazed if at 'high season' and 'peak season' if these places will be filled beyond 50 to 60 percent. There is such an over abundance of resorts - both real and pretend that I cannot imagine a 80 - 90 percent occupancy rate as the streets would be impassable with jammed traffic as compared to now... We will see in a few months...

Example: I have taken exercise walks down the main 'tourist road' to the beach almost daily ... and despite the almost rabid Myanmar hawkers at the storefronts of the tailor shops - I have yet to see even one customer in any of the many shops.

Maybe I have a lot to learn - but I am a trained observer (military, etc.) and I see what I see ... Perhaps I will become amazed at what I see in a few months.

No you will not,people get sick to death of Thailand of all the scams. Better places to visit,just let more Indians in,thats the way to do it (or is it) Love it when Thai meets Indian tourist