Best open university degree for expat work?

Bald Eagle

I agree with the health and safety, given your background and don't limit yourself to Thailand there is a lot of development going on in surrounding countries. Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. most of mentioned countries are easier to access and to do business in for foreigners.

Completely forget about accounting in Thailand, if you don't know Thai language and are able to read and write accounting in Thai there are only very limited jobs for international accountants and those are hard to get in to and still require a lot of Thai language abilities.

Thailand is easy to enter as a tourist if you come here to spend money, making money here is extremely difficult and requires a huge effort and patience!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HSE offshore for good money. If you have a reason to reside in Thailand but don't mind the rotation type work or project work, then HSE would give you a reasonably good " work: life" balance, with a few quid to enjoy the times when you are back in Thailand. This route might also help to couple your " policing " background quite nicely. HSE Managers are not necessarily popular people within a working environment and it takes a good balance of practical skills and people skills to make a good a good one. Your background might help with this and your previous work experience as a copper would definitely be something that a prospective employer would consider as being " useful" as opposed to irrelevant.

Getting the degree is about 10% of the work you need to do for it to be useful in terms of helping finances after moving to Thailand, with either of the options you mention you're going to need >10 years professional related experience to be considered an expert, which is the only way you will enter the Thai job market in the fields you mention as a foreigner.

Given your background, I'd go for IT with a lean toward security - forensics, penetration testing (experts in this field are paid very, very well) and try to build a profile as a consultant back home before moving to Thailand. With that approach you'll be able to consult internationally at western rates from home. You'd need to excel though, not just pass.

This http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62
then this http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/modules/m811 and http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/modules/m812

Then may as well do this http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/qualifications/f66 and even this http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/qualifications/e81

This is all very good, but wouldnt the OP be in competion with half the indian sub continent, and a lot of young graduates in western countries, the world is flooded with young IT guys who are experts in various aspects of IT/ IT security etc ?.... seems to me that market is saturated ?.... with all due respect to OP given his age, which he hasnt stated, but given that he will have been a copper for X number of years,  pretty sure will not be a "spring chicken"  and may find it difficult competing with  the "youngsters" ?

Not trying to p*ss on his plans, but it just seems to me, that appears to be getting into business which is already saturated, so offering another perspective on this...

he's right so many young guns in the market place for IT in Thailand working for peanuts....I spent 17 years as a Network Eng. for The Coca-Cola Company making 6 figures....here in Thailand I Teach.

When it comes to working in the field of safety and security I would say that Thailand is out of the question!
I have worked as technician/freelancer for security solutions and cash handling so I got some good contacts... I came armed with a letter of recommendation from G4S headquarter in London and a letter of recommendation from the director of the Swedish national office for G4S Cash Solutions to G4S in Bangkok and got a big "NO, only Thai people!". Same at Secritas and a couple of other companies.

Now I'm teaching.......

In my experience getting offshore as a "newbie" HSE guy is highly unlikely unless you know someone that can get you an in.

Most HSE pricks (i hate them) are already offshore or in O&G and transfer. Be aware that in the middle east and Asia most HSE guys are Locals, or cheap labor from Asian or middle eastern countries

My wife's brother and his son & daughter are all engineers. His daughter told me that there are so many engineers in Thailand that they need to have another degree to get a good job. In her case accounting. 

My wife's brother and his son & daughter are all engineers. His daughter told me that there are so many engineers in Thailand that they need to have another degree to get a good job. In her case accounting. 

The word "engineer" is used far too loosely, especially in oil and gas. MY back to back calls himself a mechnical engineer. We are NOT. We are chief mechanics. There's a big difference  

Most HSE pricks (i hate them) are already offshore or in O&G and transfer.

Being a bit harsh arent we Franky ? HSE pricks have feelings to...laugh.png... not that I am a, HSE professional or HSE Advisor or what ever flavour of the month name they are giving themselves this year, dont get me wrong there are a few good ones about, but in my experience of 25 odd years, they are  typically not capable of being an "Advisor" or conducting themselves in a professional manner in most situations, as very few really have clue beyond "put your glasses on" and playing with spreadsheets/power points of "statistics"

Understand I am not anti-safety in the least and have a great belief that people can be shown how to work safely and efficiently and for our readers that believe that "thais cant work safely" even Thai nationals, but what I am anti is some jumped up idiot, full of his own importance, who doesnt have a clue about practical safety and starts making things "safe" and in fact creates more hazards than were there before they started making things "safe"

Im my time, worked with about 5-10 guys over the years who I would consider being any good at what they do, the rest I am sorry to say, Were a wasted bed and oxygen thieves.

Anyway we digress, the OP is looking for a new career path, and one hopes both my comments and your comments dont put him off getting in the "safety managment" as a good fast track career move, but at the same time, if he does do NEBOSH or similar, he shouldnt walk into his first job thinking he is some "authority" and his word is gospel, and start playing the ex copper, as he generate the sort of feelings "Franky" has for the HSE people currently, and I do understand were Franky is coming from

If the OP does it properly can be a very rewarding and lucrative career move, but to steal Franky's phrase dont be an HSE prick

• Like 2

Most HSE pricks (i hate them) are already offshore or in O&G and transfer.

Being a bit harsh arent we Franky ? HSE pricks have feelings to...laugh.png... not that I am a, HSE professional or HSE Advisor or what ever flavour of the month name they are giving themselves this year, dont get me wrong there are a few good ones about, but in my experience of 25 odd years, they are  typically not capable of being an "Advisor" or conducting themselves in a professional manner in most situations, as very few really have clue beyond "put your glasses on" and playing with spreadsheets/power points of "statistics"

Understand I am not anti-safety in the least and have a great belief that people can be shown how to work safely and efficiently and for our readers that believe that "thais cant work safely" even Thai nationals, but what I am anti is some jumped up idiot, full of his own importance, who doesnt have a clue about practical safety and starts making things "safe" and in fact creates more hazards than were there before they started making things "safe"

Im my time, worked with about 5-10 guys over the years who I would consider being any good at what they do, the rest I am sorry to say, Were a wasted bed and oxygen thieves.

Anyway we digress, the OP is looking for a new career path, and one hopes both my comments and your comments dont put him off getting in the "safety managment" as a good fast track career move, but at the same time, if he does do NEBOSH or similar, he shouldnt walk into his first job thinking he is some "authority" and his word is gospel, and start playing the ex copper, as he generate the sort of feelings "Franky" has for the HSE people currently, and I do understand were Franky is coming from

If the OP does it properly can be a very rewarding and lucrative career move, but to steal Franky's phrase dont be an HSE prick

haha.

yeah i agree. I'm at odds with ours on my rig as we speak as it happens.

My main point is there's next to no chance of him getting offshore at all.

If you're interested in possibly pursuing a career in business(six different majors, including Int'l Business, Accounting,Hotels and Tourist Management,etc.), for an annual tuition of 120,000 baht, google Burapa University(in Bang Sen,Chonburi) and then click on International School(taught only in English). They have strong connections with various businesses for in-school training and work placement. These include the various Hotel Centaras in Thailand. I'd check them out. My girl friend goes there.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The word "engineer" is used far too loosely, especially in oil and gas. MY back to back calls himself a mechnical engineer. We are NOT. We are chief mechanics. There's a big difference  

Understand the lack of willingness to be associated with the engineers. However, with the right application they are actually all right people.;b++){var>

Just need to be calibrated from time to time...............................thumbsup.gif

[attachment=277062:Engineer Reset Toolc.jpg]

tongue.png

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Understand the lack of willingness to be associated with the engineers. However, with the right application they are actually all right people.;b++){var>

Just need to be calibrated from time to time...............................thumbsup.gif

attachicon.gifEngineer Reset Toolc.jpg

tongue.png

You missed my point. It's nothing to do with not wanting to be associated with them at all. The opposite if anything. I know my place. I am not a mechnical engineer. I'm a mechanic. I can hold my own with most things engineers talk about, then they step it up a level and i see why they are on more money than me.

It makes me laugh when i see adverts online for "mechanical engineers" and the starting salary is at $30,000. No engineerr would get out of bed for less then $120,000

This is all very good, but wouldnt the OP be in competion with half the indian sub continent, and a lot of young graduates in western countries, the world is flooded with young IT guys who are experts in various aspects of IT/ IT security etc ?.... seems to me that market is saturated ?.... with all due respect to OP given his age, which he hasnt stated, but given that he will have been a copper for X number of years,  pretty sure will not be a "spring chicken"  and may find it difficult competing with  the "youngsters" ?

Not trying to p*ss on his plans, but it just seems to me, that appears to be getting into business which is already saturated, so offering another perspective on this...

he's right so many young guns in the market place for IT in Thailand working for peanuts....I spent 17 years as a Network Eng. for The Coca-Cola Company making 6 figures....here in Thailand I Teach.

I'm sorry to hear that, but there are some making >100k USD in IT here (not working onsite for Thai co's that I am aware of though).

I guess Network Engineering is one field which isn't so easy to do remotely, makes sense since the nature of it is that sometimes you're working with broken and non public networks, but that is not the case with Development and I wouldn't imagine it to be the case for Security Analysis / Penetration Testing, for example.

I'm not pretending for a moment that it's going to be easy to get into, but there aren't many fields that pay well that are, especially when part of the deal is living in Thailand. If the OP is able to put in 10 years post graduation back home though, in order to build up a client base and experience, I could see it working out. He'd also be getting around $800 - 1000 a day before moving in today's money in that scenario, which might lead to simply retiring.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Just need to be calibrated from time to time............................... alt=thumbsup.gif>

Engineer Reset Toolc.jpg

alt=tongue.png>

You missed my point. It's nothing to do with not wanting to be associated with them at all. The opposite if anything. I know my place. I am not a mechnical engineer. I'm a mechanic. I can hold my own with most things engineers talk about, then they step it up a level and i see why they are on more money than me.

It makes me laugh when i see adverts online for "mechanical engineers" and the starting salary is at $30,000. No engineerr would get out of bed for less then $120,000

Nooooooooooooo, no, no, I didn't miss the point at all Franky, I know engineers and I know mechanics and the difference between them.

My post was tongue-in-cheek.

Vast spectrum between blue and white....................wink.png

Nooooooooooooo, no, no, I didn't miss the point at all Franky, I know engineers and I know mechanics and the difference between them.

My post was tongue-in-cheek.

Vast spectrum between blue and white....................wink.png 

haha.

See what i mean ;)

I know my place ion this mans working world. I pulled some pubes out my scrotum with my Leatherman supertool as punishment for not seeing what you said the correct way first time haha
  • Like 1

My first choice was the health and safety route. A few friends are already on that path internationally but its £7k for initial courses alone.

Where as with the open university I have a fully funded degree but I need to choose which one in the next few weeks and I am worried I might make the wrong choice.

Stressed about this.

You have done the basic research and already know what jobs you can't do in Thailand right? Regardless of your qualifications and experience right? If yes, then read on.

You have the option of paying for courses that may get you pretty rapid and comparatively well paid work in the oil patch ANYWHERE.

Once in the oil patch anywhere, there's a good chance of a decent rotation that allows you to take regular breaks in Thailand.

Or, you have the option of taking a free course that is very unlikely to get you rapid and comparatively well paid work OF ANY KIND ANYWHERE.

Once in mainstream anywhere, there's a fair chance that you will have to save pretty hard for the once or twice a year vacations in Thailand that your Mon-Fri, 9-5 work restricts you to.

My first choice was the health and safety route. A few friends are already on that path internationally but its £7k for initial courses alone.

Where as with the open university I have a fully funded degree but I need to choose which one in the next few weeks and I am worried I might make the wrong choice.

Stressed about this.

You have done the basic research and already know what jobs you can't do in Thailand right? Regardless of your qualifications and experience right? If yes, then read on.

You have the option of paying for courses that may get you pretty rapid and comparatively well paid work in the oil patch ANYWHERE.

Once in the oil patch anywhere, there's a good chance of a decent rotation that allows you to take regular breaks in Thailand.
 to.

You seriously think he'll get a job "anywhere" on the patch rapidly?

I think you're very mistakes considering most of the world use locals or cheap Asian labour for HSE bods

How do guys get on the oil rigs anyway?

I've changed my degree from engineering to computing and IT.

Spoke to one lad last night who is now on the HSE path and said he paid £7000 for courses. That's do able if the work is there but I'm hearing more and more that locals are used on oil rigs.

I am a bit pissed off an old dead uncle of mine who worked on the rigs donkeys years ago didn't get all us young lads in the family on that path.

I really don't fancy teaching. My sister and a lot if close friends are teachers in the uk and I just don't think its for me.

Currently hoping to be fluent in french in a year or so too to help me get expat jobs etc. Spanish is next.

Spoke to one lad last night who is now on the HSE path and said he paid £7000 for courses. That's do able if the work is there but I'm hearing more and more that locals are used on oil rigs.

I am a bit pissed off an old dead uncle of mine who worked on the rigs donkeys years ago didn't get all us young lads in the family on that path.

I really don't fancy teaching. My sister and a lot if close friends are teachers in the uk and I just don't think its for me.

Currently hoping to be fluent in french in a year or so too to help me get expat jobs etc. Spanish is next.

It's not easy.

A lot of seniour positions are held by western expats. That will not change anytime soon. You do get purges now and again to "nationalise" a company taking out expats. But you can garuntee with in two years we are back. Usually now (I'm lead to believe) the insurance companies require western expats to run the rigs at management level.

To get in 90% of the time it's knowing someone. That someone doesn't have to be someone high up. All you need is someone to vouch for you

Stressed about this.

to.

I think you're very mistakes considering most of the world use locals or cheap Asian labour for HSE bods

Don't you mean really shite HSE bods in drilling Franky?

It's not easy.

A lot of seniour positions are held by western expats. That will not change anytime soon. You do get purges now and again to "nationalise" a company taking out expats. But you can garuntee with in two years we are back. Usually now (I'm lead to believe) the insurance companies require western expats to run the rigs at management level.

To get in 90% of the time it's knowing someone. That someone doesn't have to be someone high up. All you need is someone to vouch for you
Cheers Franky always good to get info from the horses mouth rather than hearsay.

I've got all the offshore safety quals but no quals to actually do anything when I get there.

What are the entry level jobs and what quals do I need? I've heard some stories of 'drill pigs' (not my terminology) taking home £750 a day tax free?

It's not easy.

Cheers Franky always good to get info from the horses mouth rather than hearsay.

I've got all the offshore safety quals but no quals to actually do anything when I get there.

What are the entry level jobs and what quals do I need? I've heard some stories of 'drill pigs' (not my terminology) taking home £750 a day tax free?

Unlikely, maybe a pusher. The only way you'll get offshore is if you know someone in the drilling game. If you have an engineering degree then you might get a job as a trainee with an operator. 

When you say safety quals, what do you mean? If it's the BOSIET, MIST, medical etc then everybody has to have them. 

Franky, Angola are now dragging their feet over expat  visa's.

I know a few of the lads are now looking at the ROV pilot thing too.

Seems very risky to do a £10,000 course with no assured job at the end.
Yes it could lead to a very good job. But what if it doesn't and I've heard tales of woe with regards to getting work in that specific role. Edited by Bald Eagle

Don't start me on clown money grasping training providers.

Last company I worked for kept 'inventing' courses you needed. Which funnily enough you had to do with them. All competitors just required the essentials.

Funnily enough one bloke I knew who did the ROV course was last seen unemployed and a bit miffed at the quality of the course. Edited by Bald Eagle

It's not easy.

That's once you get to my level. I'm a chief mechanic and on around that.

Don't forget you have land rigs too. I was on them for years in the Middle East. Being a westerner you are best trying to get a start in your home country. The chances of anything abroad are next to zero to be honest

Don't waste years of your life studying for a silly degree.

Just spend the same amount of time learning this 'IT nomad' thingy everyone keeps talking about and you'll end up with a 5K+ per month business after the 3/4 years.

BTW everyone and their dog started leaving the air force 5/6 years ago to do those ROV operator/technician jobs, so I highly doubt there are many available and they'll certainly go to engineers with 10-20 years military experience rather than ex police (nothing against the police, but it's just my opinion and I wouldn't waste the money).

Stressed about this.

to.

Are you a compulsive speed reader or what Franky? If you took time to read the previous sentence, "...paying for courses that may get you pretty rapid and comparatively well paid work..."

I didn't seriously say anything like what you are inferring by your selective reading and editing. By totally omitting my second statement which was actually the crux of my comparison, ie. "...taking a free course that is very unlikely to get you rapid and comparatively well paid work..."

If he pays good money for appropriate HSE or NEBOSH training and certification now, he has a BETTER CHANCE of getting what he seeks versus doing a free course in IT or Accountancy that has dead-end street written all over it.

Edited by NanLaew

Stressed about this.

to.

Are you a compulsive speed reader or what Franky? If you took time to read the previous sentence, "...paying for courses that may get you pretty rapid and comparatively well paid work..."

I didn't seriously say anything like what you are inferring by your selective reading and editing. By totally omitting my second statement which was actually the crux of my comparison, ie. "...taking a free course that is very unlikely to get you rapid and comparatively well paid work..."

If he pays good money for appropriate training and certification now, he has a BETTER CHANCE of getting what he seeks versus doing a free course that has dead-end street written all over it.

I've been doing it 30 years. No need to do any courses apart from the basics that everybody has to to do. Any other courses you do at your own financial risk.