Buying a printer in Thailand

KayCee

We've been shopping for a good home printer that can do wireless networking, print two-sided copies automatically, print from devices such as ipads, etc. After struggling with a cheaper and not very good printer we bought in Chiang Mai 3 years ago or so, we'd like something better, similar to this:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-Officejet-Pro/A7F65A?HP-Officejet-Pro-8620-e-All-in-One-Printer

We're having a hard time always getting a good sense about what the various models do in the stores in Bangkok. Does anyone know where is the best place to shop for this sort of HP printer?

If something like this is hard to get in Bangkok, do you know if we would face any charges at the airport if we brought one back with us from our summer holiday?

Actually I have a Canon MG5470, bought in Thailand, that covers all of that. Not sure if you are interested in Canon (you mentioned HP). The Canon also uses separate ink cartridges. This Canon does not have an auto-feeder on the scanner though - and no fax.

If you haven't already done so look up Hewlett Packard on the net for their Thai or Asian office and drop them an email asking for their main office or agent here or recommended local dealer. I have a HP All-In-one and it does the job well for us although as always the ink is not cheap and if you use non HP cartridges you may not be able to get the current ink levels.

Edited by avander

I paid about 5500 baht for an HP6525 Deskjet Ink Advantage

It does all those things youo mention and more.

4 cartridges cost about 1000 baht for some 70 pages or so.

Can find them at PowerBuy and IT World among other places.

For all things IT, head over to Fortune Town at Pra Ram 9 MRT Subway station- several floors of computer stuff, starting on the 3rd floor and higher.

The other logical choice is Pantip Plaza, but it's not nearly as convenient to mass transit- a 15 minute brisk walk north from Chid Lom BTS station an entire mall of computer stuff.

Edited by impulse

I have the Canon mx727 does every thing you want…wireless, double sided printing,

Auto doc feed, Ethernet for wired networking, fax machine etc…it is a proper office printer and very fast.

I would suggest that you get a CISS (continuous Ink System) fitted to the printer you buy, as replacing cartages

in any printer is very expensive. But before you buy make sure a CISS can be fitted to the printer.

With the CISS fitted mine cost a little under 7,000 Baht

If you are interested follow the link below

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/products/inkjet-printers/inkjet-multi-function/pixma-mx727

PS...Take a look at Invadeit or lazada on the net.

Just saying like.

Have a Nice Day

Edited by firefox999uk

The first question you should ask yourself is how many print per week/day u need.

If you need prints on a daily basis, consider an inkjet printer, got a canon all in one (discontinued ) model for under ฿3000 from officemate .if you don't mind occasional mess fix an external tank set and your cost per print is drammatically refuced.

Steer clear of fixing an external ink supply system if you do not print that often. They tend to dry up and clog the printhead and generally bugger the printer if you do not print at least 3-4 times per week.

If you do not print that often, you might like to consider a Laser printer for a longer shelflife more consistent results but higher toner price but safer in the longer run.

Consider Brother, better quality than HP, in my experience, or Epson the best among consumer printers, again in my opinion.

Finally, when you decide on the model make sure you buy from an established shop, eg Officemate, tesco, powerbuy etc.

Shops that offer few bahts discount in Computer Malls tend to move or close down quite often.

My 2 cents :)

Edited by ESCAPIS
  • Like 2

If you do happen to covet an HP, beware the bloatware. They will install all kinds of software on your computer that will phone home, remind you that you should buy some more HP stuff, give you wonderful opportunities to buy affiliated products and drive you crazy in oh-so-many ways.

I gave up on HP stuff many years ago when the HP scanner I bought could not work on the same computer as the HP printer I bought the same day (verified by their own tech support after hours on the phone), and their scanner software kept popping things up just to irritate me, long after I thought I uninstalled the scanner. I ended up having to go into the registry to delete all things HP, then reinstall the printer- which I needed for work.

The printer you are looking for is available at invadeIT ( very good seller, as everybody on TV knows ) for 14590 bahts ( http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/hp-officejet-pro-8620-e-all-in-one-printer/)

as for the ink, I have also a Hp printer ( but smaller than yours ) and I buy it at invadeIT because they have the cheapest genuine Hp ink I have ever found in Thailand

Their office is in Hua hin, but they sell by Internet everywhere in Thailand

The Epson 960FWD can do all of that except for Air Print. It's not on Apple's list of Air Print supported printers. The 940 is there, but I don't know if that's available in Thailand.

It's an inkjet and I had the external tanks installed since I use it a lot. But even so, I've still had the heads clog up twice since I've had it (on average once a year). Running the head cleaning routine didn't help and I had to take it in to a shop. They fixed it easily enough but it cost me 500 each time. Aside from that, I'm happy with the printer. It does two-sided printing and book fold printing automatically. It's an "all in one" printer but it can't do scanning over wifi - it has to be hard-wired to the network or PC for that.

It was about 10,000 baht if I remember correctly.

Just go to Panthip Plaza... five floors of computer stuff.

I prefer either the lower floor store that is large and likely to be there next month. Same for the store on the very top floor. They may not be as cheap, but they will be around for later problems if any.

Just read the box that the printer comes in. The box, or the booklet inside, will tell you everything the thing does. The clerks have language problems but the Name Brand boxes are in English.

If you find what you want in that huge building, buy it THEN because likely you can never find your way back to same shop later, hee hee.

Unless you intend to print color documents or photos on a very regular basis, I would go with a laser printer.

The inkjet printers will clog up if not used very regularily, and can be a major pain to unclog, not to mention a major source of frustration. Laser printers, on the other hand, do not dry up and clog, they just print, no matter how infrequently you use them.

I also have to add, that I think HP's printer 'software' to be the worst and most intrusive I have ever seen. Never again.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

I have the Canon mx727 does every thing you want…wireless, double sided printing,

Auto doc feed, Ethernet for wired networking, fax machine etc…it is a proper office printer and very fast.

I would suggest that you get a CISS (continuous Ink System) fitted to the printer you buy, as replacing cartages

in any printer is very expensive. But before you buy make sure a CISS can be fitted to the printer.

With the CISS fitted mine cost a little under 7,000 Baht

If you are interested follow the link below

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/products/inkjet-printers/inkjet-multi-function/pixma-mx727

PS...Take a look at Invadeit or lazada on the net.

Just saying like.

Have a Nice Day

Good advice! Canon with outside cartriges it is the best choice for Thailand.....HP and Epson are the worst....and buy from a big store or dealer, if not the warranty will not be valid. I had good experience with Lazada. If you will use it a lot, and only for black and white printing, a laser printer may be a better choice. Brother it is very good brand too.

Edited by umbanda
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.
  • Like 1

The Epson 960FWD can do all of that except for Air Print. It's not on Apple's list of Air Print supported printers. The 940 is there, but I don't know if that's available in Thailand.

It's an inkjet and I had the external tanks installed since I use it a lot. But even so, I've still had the heads clog up twice since I've had it (on average once a year). Running the head cleaning routine didn't help and I had to take it in to a shop. They fixed it easily enough but it cost me 500 each time. Aside from that, I'm happy with the printer. It does two-sided printing and book fold printing automatically. It's an "all in one" printer but it can't do scanning over wifi - it has to be hard-wired to the network or PC for that.

It was about 10,000 baht if I remember correctly.

500 bt to unclog your heads - you were done...!

First time my Canon IJ (with additional refillable tanks) blocked (which all the head cleaning routines failed to clear) after about 6 months, my supplier cleaned it free of charge (so I felt obliged to buy some more inks from him, which I didn't really need at that time). When it blocked again about 6 months later he charged me just 100 bt to clean (and I felt guilty as I didn't need to buy any more inks at that time... currently over 2 years old, having printed some 3 reams (1500#) of mostly text & some photo's, I'm still only on my 1st set of refill bottles (100 bt each for all 4 colours).

Since the second blockage, I have made a simply dust cover to stop any dust (very dusty where I am) being drawn into the breather holes of the ink tanks, and I try to print at least one page every day or two, and this seems to be keeping it clear.

Brother Lazer....HL-3070. does everything you require.

Low cost per page.....easy to refill toner cartridges saves money

Yes is very good..

Silly me bought a HP [after I had said a few years ago never again] 1st year was exchanged 3x, [+ away 3 weeks each time !!] then out of warranty and failed again..

Yep now for 2 years have the Brothers Laser. more expensive think was about 17,000 baht [have copy and scan model] but great printer. no messing about with ink tanks..

I would no longer buy a printer that does not use refillable ink reservoirs. The price of individual ink cartridges is ridicules. I would factor that into your purchase decision especially if you are planning to do a lot of printing. imho

Since the second blockage, I have made a simply dust cover to stop any dust (very dusty where I am) being drawn into the breather holes of the ink tanks, and I try to print at least one page every day or two, and this seems to be keeping it clear.

Much of the dust actually comes from the paper itself. If you can find a paper brand that says "low dust", it might be worth the slight additional cost. The rubber grips and rollers inside the printer will thank you.

Edited by attrayant

go to: priceza.com

best website ever !!!

good! the same printer I spoke about above is at 12738 bahts ( instead of 14590 at invadeIT ) http://www.priceza.com/

Priceza is a great site, but be careful of some of the shops listed there, their prices are excluding VAT. If you click on to the shop you fond at 12,738 baht, you can see they list their price without VAT, so you have to add 7% to that price. It's still cheaper obviously, but just keep it in mind.

Another handy thing with priceza is their rating system, so you can see the avg rating of the shop along with how many reviews they have shown to the right of the stars.

HP is the dregs. Think will try Epson.

One man's trash is another mans treasure. If you're going to put a product, range or company down people might be interested in knowing why?

I have a HP Officejet 6500A Plus MFP and have been very happy with it. It is no fuss and easy to use, for me at least.

I have owned Epson printers too and was always happy with the earlier (read old) models until I had a bad experience with the actual design of an Epson Photo 9nn printer some time ago.

A part in the feed mechanism snapped. Of course that happened just after warranty, I could still use it but not easily and had to be careful with document feed . The same unit had another earlier problem which was fixed under warranty. I can't remember the detaisl of the earlier problem now but I was never too fussed with the output quality or it's ability to manage colour settings either even after going through the colour management routines.

On the other hand, the HP output speed, quality and colour is good (enough for me at least). It is also relatively easy to set up and use by direct usb connect or wi-fi.

I have exactly that HP 8620 printer and it works very nice. Before I had the 8500 and that was OK too.

Be aware of the consumption about ink. That is the expensive part about a printer. And the 8620 has very nice ink economy.

I don´t know were to buy it in Thailand though since bought mine in Sweden. But I am sure you can buy that as well. Otherwise maybe 8610? But the 8620 has a bigger display.

The printer you are looking for is available at invadeIT ( very good seller, as everybody on TV knows ) for 14590 bahts ( http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/hp-officejet-pro-8620-e-all-in-one-printer/)

as for the ink, I have also a Hp printer ( but smaller than yours ) and I buy it at invadeIT because they have the cheapest genuine Hp ink I have ever found in Thailand

because they have the cheapest genuine Hp ink I have ever found in Thailand

20 baht more than the last cartridge I bought at Pantip Plaza locally, and that's before any shipping costs. HP just about gives the printers away and than kills you with the exorbitant price of ink. I'm going down the the local ink dealer and have him refill my ink cartridge. What? It will void the warranty. Phff. The ink costs about as much as the printer.

because they have the cheapest genuine Hp ink I have ever found in Thailand

20 baht more than the last cartridge I bought at Pantip Plaza locally, and that's before any shipping costs. HP just about gives the printers away and than kills you with the exorbitant price of ink. I'm going down the the local ink dealer and have him refill my ink cartridge. What? It will void the warranty. Phff. The ink costs about as much as the printer.

I live near invadeIT, so no transport to pay, and I don't pay shipping cost because I fetch the device myself: by the way, how much to refill cartrige ( I have one black and one 3 colors ) ?: no problem with the local ink?

every body has one's opinion about the different brands: as for HP, I don't say they are the best, I just say that I have my HP printer for 3years and a half and it works perfect.

Only genuine ink ( I don't print much ), and perfect, perfect, perfect ...