Freelance Photographers and their work permit

Many foreign photographers (mostly wedding photographers) has been arrested here in Phuket and in Samui for working without work permit in 2013 and in this year.

In February Chalong Police (in Phuket) arrested 14 photographers who came here for wedding workshop photography.
They arrested them under suspicion of working and shooting for a magazine.
All of them paid hefty fine in order to get out from jail cell they were in.

Labour Department in Phuket using very old and outdated instruction/attachment to the law and claiming that Photography as occupation is forbidden for foreigners in Thailand,even this is not really true.
It was, but Thailand changed the law and removed the photography from this list if forbidden occupations.

• Like 1

Coolpix, on 28 Jul 2014 - 17:20, said:

Labour Department in Phuket using very old and outdated instruction/attachment to the law and claiming that Photography as occupation is forbidden for foreigners in Thailand,even this is not really true.

It was, but Thailand changed the law and removed the photography from this list if forbidden occupations.

Now that is true Coolpix.thumbsup.gif

This next question is not for you by the way. coffee1.gif

*************************************************************************************************

Do we, Photographers, have to have a Company to be registered for our Work Permit with or just apply for one without a Company for this Work Permit ?coffee1.gif

Take photos, sell them in and around of Thailand and then to the whole wide world?w00t.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

No work permit. You just do what you have to do. So long as no one spills the beans on you, like one of the grumpy old haters here, no one will know the wiser.

One of these days, counties will wake up to fact that people can now support themselves by working freelance or online, while on the road. There needs to be a new visa for those who can prove income for these types of jobs, so they don't have to keep getting BS visas and break the law.

Nobody needs a BS visa at all.

There must be plenty of other places to take photos, if that is your true passion.

Of course taking photos in Thailand wouldn't have anything to do with party time, cheap booze and available, affordable pussy, now, would it?

What an idiotic post -

Thailand is one of the most target rich countries in the whole world - and it's periodic outbreaks of street violence make it even more so. It's a professional photographers dream location.

It's a fantastic location, without a doubt, but it is also a location milked by photographers for everything it's worth.

• Like 1

*************************************************************************************************

Do we, Photographers, have to have a Company to be registered for our Work Permit with or just apply for one without a Company for this Work Permit ?coffee1.gif

Take photos, sell them in and around of Thailand and then to the whole wide world?w00t.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

This is perfectly fitting to all the arguments for artists and content creators I am trying to make in the digital nomad thread.. I assume you mean like shutterstock sales or similar ??

• Like 1

Win thumbsup.gif

This is perfectly fitting to all the arguments for artists and content creators I am trying to make in the digital nomad thread.. I assume you mean like shutterstock sales or similar ??

I could be wrong but photography of this type is like wedding photography, it's something Thais can do and is prohibited. Technically speaking, of course. Those who are working for a media outlet, as correspondents, are the ones getting work permits.

Win thumbsup.gif

I could be wrong but photography of this type is like wedding photography, it's something Thais can do and is prohibited. Technically speaking, of course. Those who are working for a media outlet, as correspondents, are the ones getting work permits.

Wedding photography and accredited pro media correspondents are not really the same thing as freelance photography, which is what the OP was asking.

If you have a photo of the street protests which you sent on spec to a news agency, or some idyllic beach scene submitted to a microstock agency, and any earnings were paid into an offshore account I don't see how you would need, or even get, a work permit. My meagre microstock earnings go into my paypal account and neither the Thai govt or my home tax office know about it ....

• Like 1

I was contacted a few years ago regarding a freelance photography assignment in Thailand for a British client.

While I was researching what was involved to get a work visa I came across a list of jobs forbidden to foreigners (It was the Foreign Business Act of 1999.) Photography was on the list. There were three separate lists and I believe Photography was on the incubation list, intending to provide Thais the opportunity to develop the skills to compete with international services.

The 1999 act included an annual review of the activities included on the restricted lists. I found a reference to a list of activities that were to be reviewed for relaxation of the restriction. It included "Photography and operating photo stores". I do not know when (what year) this review was to take place or the results of it.

Given this, I would suggest you check with a Thai lawyer before you walk into a Thai government office and declare that you are engaged in freelance photography.

Of course, you could also simply creatively redefine the activity - "I am the administer for a website" (where I happen to post photos for prospective clients to review...)

-tom

I was contacted a few years ago regarding a freelance photography assignment in Thailand for a British client.

While I was researching what was involved to get a work visa I came across a list of jobs forbidden to foreigners (It was the Foreign Business Act of 1999.) Photography was on the list. There were three separate lists and I believe Photography was on the incubation list, intending to provide Thais the opportunity to develop the skills to compete with international services.

The 1999 act included an annual review of the activities included on the restricted lists. I found a reference to a list of activities that were to be reviewed for relaxation of the restriction. It included "Photography and operating photo stores". I do not know when (what year) this review was to take place or the results of it.

Given this, I would suggest you check with a Thai lawyer before you walk into a Thai government office and declare that you are engaged in freelance photography.

Of course, you could also simply creatively redefine the activity - "I am the administer for a website" (where I happen to post photos for prospective clients to review...)

-tom

If you mean

"The business which Thai national are not yet ready to complete with foreigners": ( http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/foreign5.html Foreign business Act B.E. 2542 (1999) ) there is nothing about photography or photo stores on it, and in the latest list the nearest thing would be the ban on " Shop attending; "

No work permit. You just do what you have to do. So long as no one spills the beans on you, like one of the grumpy old haters here, no one will know the wiser.

One of these days, counties will wake up to fact that people can now support themselves by working freelance or online, while on the road. There needs to be a new visa for those who can prove income for these types of jobs, so they don't have to keep getting BS visas and break the law.

There must be plenty of other places to take photos, if that is your true passion.

Of course taking photos in Thailand wouldn't have anything to do with party time, cheap booze and available, affordable pussy, now, would it?

What an idiotic post -

Thailand is one of the most target rich countries in the whole world - and it's periodic outbreaks of street violence make it even more so. It's a professional photographers dream location.

There is a world of difference between a professional photographer and the itinerant traveller with a camera who is looking for any visa/excuse to extend his stay in the Kingdom now that back to back visa runs are a thing of the past.

The only people making idiotic posts are those that can't see through the BS - the Thai authorities certainly can.

• Like 1

Sooner or later there will be a "migration" of falangs from Thailand to other countries where it is easier to establish residency, get work permit etc....and falangs looking to stay in the region have more options than just Thailand now...

I have mentioned in posts before that as Southeast Asia continues to prosper, Thailand is going to become more and more inane and less of an enticing place to settle down in...who can blame people?? with places like Laos and Cambodia opening up and allowing for easier domicile rights (AT least in Cambodia) who is going to want to stay in Thailand??? Plus, I kind of find it exciting to be in other places that are opening up and starting from where Thailand was many years ago....

What an idiotic post -

There is a world of difference between a professional photographer and the itinerant traveller with a camera who is looking for any visa/excuse to extend his stay in the Kingdom now that back to back visa runs are a thing of the past.

The only people making idiotic posts are those that can't see through the BS - the Thai authorities certainly can.

No - as per usual you had to draw the topic down to the lowest common denominator.

The topic is how do freelance photographers and writers get work permits.

Not - "another chance to vent your witless spleen."

Do you have anything of relevance to add to the topic?

What an idiotic post -

Would not a minimum verified income suffice ??

LivinLOS, on 28 Jul 2014 - 19:34, said:
Kan Win, on 28 Jul 2014 - 18:30, said:
Coolpix, on 28 Jul 2014 - 17:20, said:Coolpix, on 28 Jul 2014 - 17:20, said:

Win thumbsup.gif

Yes, but more of a private sales with Pbase.com, with photos only of Thailand.

Well that is my thinking, but any other way, would be great to know.

I am a PR holder, by the way. Would that help also?

Win wai.gif