Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I got a deadline to hand in missing documents in March.

My passport was stamped with "PR Under consideration". They told me there will be a interview after they have received all documents. If I were approved, they said that receiving the actual "PR Book" could take years.. Whatever that means...

"Years" in my case meant six of them.

• Like 1

After you get the "PR Book", do you still need a RE-ENTRY permit when you leave the country ??

Yes you MUST get a Re-entry permit otherwise your PR becomes invalid !!!

Also the price of a re-entry permit is double for PR holders sad.png

"Yes you MUST get a Re-entry permit otherwise your PR becomes invalid !!!"

This is absolutely and totally not correct!

After you have PR If you want to leave Thailand and come back then yes you must get an exit/re-entry stamp before you leave.

It's totally 'up to you, wait until you have a plan to leave / come back, perhaps many years after you finalize PR, or get a stamp once a year. Repeat, it's up to you.

'Double'.

I got PR more than 25 years ago, I get a multiple entry exit/re-entry stamp every 12 months just in case I might need it. Very simple, very easy, no long wait, etc. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. It's not well compulsory in advance.

I am well aware that I pay the same as anybody else (any other visa category) for the exit/re-entry stamp.

Your post reeks of negative, your so obvious.

Perhaps you could investigate the 'PR' rules and procedures of other countries, Thailand's rules are not that complex and not difficult to underatand.

Edited by scorecard

Heard from a friend who submitted PR application pack recently. No queue for PR at all. The lady reviewing documentation asked rather complicated questions in Thai which my friend could not follow all. She spoke almost no English. Took about 20 min. then finger printing. After that another lady said to his friend's Thai friend who was with him, that his Thai was quite bad.Paid official 7K THB application fee. After that got his passport back with stamp mentioning PR process and that was it. Some small updates to documents required (3) nothing major to be delivered by end Feb. No portfolio submitted nor required. Asked to expect letter/call for Interview date. No extra "transactions" requested.

Another friend submitted earlier and went with someone who helped with documentation (as a freelance job) and was asked a steep extra amount due to insufficient Thai level, which he negotiated down to about half initial amount.

Anyone has heard similar experience from this year submission ?

Does anyone know how many people apply per year from UK, Swedish, German or Italian nationalities? Do they have more applications than the 100 per nationality limit?

More and more people are deciding against applying for PR, due to the limited benefits one receive and doesn't worth the money and effort, since direct route to thai citizenship is now available for males married to thais. The only benefits which you receive with PR is a lifetime visa and a path to thai citizenship. If you are interested in neither, then it's absolutely useless to waste that kinda money.

PS. Don't bash me, I am a PR holder and speaking from experience. I wanna apply for thai citizenship and not married to a thai so no way for me other than PR thus I applied and got it after 4 long years of wait. And still, I need to wait 5 more years to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Thanks for your opinion, but where did you get this statistic that "more and more people are deciding against applying for PR"? I know quite a number of people who are happy with the PR so they can stay in the country for sure even if they divorce (if on marriage visa), lose their job (if on business visa), or the regulations about retirement visa are changed (which could happen at any time). People who have no interest in applying for Thai citizenship.

Also, it is not correct to say that "males married to thais" can get citizenship without PR. It is only true for males married to Thai females.

Add one more grouping, folks who want to get PR because it makes them feel 'comfortable' that they have 'lifetime permanent' visa and therefore can 99.9% relax about ever being separted from loved ones. That's me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a new passport. My re-entry visa and PR endorsements had already expired, and the PR book is full. I'm going in to get a new PR book and do the PR endorsement and re-entry soon. Presumably renewing the PR book is pretty straightforward, so I can do all this in one go? How much does the new PR book cost?

Has anyone reported a change of passport to the local police? I would assume we should, but the last time I asked they said "No need." Without updating the Alien's Book with the new passport number, there really isn't a documentary link between alien and resident.

Do I need to take the old passport with me the first time I leave the country? I assume so because the last time they checked my previous exit/entry stamps.

I just got a new passport. My re-entry visa and PR endorsements had already expired, and the PR book is full. I'm going in to get a new PR book and do the PR endorsement and re-entry soon. Presumably renewing the PR book is pretty straightforward, so I can do all this in one go? How much does the new PR book cost?

Has anyone reported a change of passport to the local police? I would assume we should, but the last time I asked they said "No need." Without updating the Alien's Book with the new passport number, there really isn't a documentary link between alien and resident.

Do I need to take the old passport with me the first time I leave the country? I assume so because the last time they checked my previous exit/entry stamps.

I just did that; my passport and my PR book were full at the same time when also the re-entry expired. Lucky me, I could do all in one go.

I got the new passport from the embassy, and this letter they always issue. Went to CW and applied for a new PR book and a new re-entry (which they call endorsement).

CW didn't need the letter from the embassy. New PR book was issued, new endorsement stamped into the new book and the new passport. Paid only the usual fee for the multiple re-entry, nothing for the new PR book.

I did not take the old passport with me when I left the country. The link is the 13-digit ID number starting with 8. When you change the passport, CW will update your new number in the system, so immigration sees your past entries when you leave and enter with the new passport number.

If I understood them right, they said the new PR book would take 3-4 days and I'd need to bring my tabien baan (which I didn't have with me since it belongs to my landlady) plus 4 photos. Since I'm travelling soon I had the endorsement done in the old book, where there is probably enough for three more entry/exit stamps. Not really what I wanted, but I should have done it earlier, I guess.

I asked if I needed to inform local police about the new passport and they said "no." So I guess I can stop worrying about that.

I have a Blue Thabian Baan in Bangkok. I am moving to Countryside and will move the Thabian Baan to the new place. Could someone help advice me do I need to do anything with regards to the PR (Blue Book) and Police Book (Red Color)?

I had a new passport issued about a month after my most recent re-entry permit was stamped in my old passport, last year. Went to CW with new passport, and they said that they would not change my PR book, nor would they transfer any stamps from old passport to new. They said to bring the old passort whenever leaving or entering the Kingdom.

The first time I left the Kngdom, last May, the Immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi was confused and hesitated but accepted it after I explained the situation to him, and he called over a supervisor. Since that time it has not been a problem. I carry all 3 books. The Blue Book, and 2 Passports.

A quick question about PR holders and the 4:1 Thai national/foreign staff requirement.

Does Immigration continue to count a PR holder as a foreign staff member of a company even though a visa is no longer required for the PR staff member?

Yes, we are still treated as foreigners, no change. I would really like to see the PR become more like the Green Card in the US, meaning that we don't need work permits any more.

I have a Blue Thabian Baan in Bangkok. I am moving to Countryside and will move the Tabian Baan to the new place. Could someone help advice me do I need to do anything with regards to the PR (Blue Book) and Police Book (Red Color)?

You can not move your blue tabien baan to a new house. New house means other tabien baan.

When I moved I took a copy of my old Tabien baan and showed this to the staff of the local amphur office and requested them to transfer me to the "new" tabien baan.

Your old amphur office can issue you a certified copy of your bkk tabien baan registration if you can not take original.

House master needs to be present and sign for you.

They may not have done this before for a PR so make sure you have a Thai speaker with you who knows this is correct and is confident to tell the local staff and if needed call old amphur office or CW PR section to confirm this is correct.

In my case the guy in charge refused to believe I should be on a blue book and would only put me on a yellow one. We had a friend at the interior ministery call him to explain things and he put me on the blue tabien baan.

Also you need to get your red police book updated. You need to go to your "old bkk" police station and tell them you intend to move and they will send the file they have on you to the police station up country near your new home or in my case allow me to take it there (not standard they said).

After this you need to go to the local upcountry police station and he will update your red book for you.

Hope this helps.

Edited by brianinbangkok
  • Like 2

I have a Blue Thabian Baan in Bangkok. I am moving to Countryside and will move the Tabian Baan to the new place. Could someone help advice me do I need to do anything with regards to the PR (Blue Book) and Police Book (Red Color)?

You can not move your blue tabien baan to a new house. New house means other tabien baan.

When I moved I took a copy of my old Tabien baan and showed this to the staff of the local amphur office and requested them to transfer me to the "new" tabien baan.

Your old amphur office can issue you a certified copy of your bkk tabien baan registration if you can not take original.

House master needs to be present and sign for you.

They may not have done this before for a PR so make sure you have a Thai speaker with you who knows this is correct and is confident to tell the local staff and if needed call old amphur office or CW PR section to confirm this is correct.

In my case the guy in charge refused to believe I should be on a blue book and would only put me on a yellow one. We had a friend at the interior ministery call him to explain things and he put me on the blue tabien baan.

Also you need to get your red police book updated. You need to go to your "old bkk" police station and tell them you intend to move and they will send the file they have on you to the police station up country near your new home or in my case allow me to take it there (not standard they said).

After this you need to go to the local upcountry police station and he will update your red book for you.

Hope this helps.

Thank you and this helps a lot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Beeper!

I went into CW to do the affidavit a couple of weeks ago. While there I asked my case officer whats the expectation for the language test interview stage. She told me:

• Should be in the last couple of weeks of April
  • She alluded to a change of a senior manager in their department and that this could impact organizing the interviews
  • If not the last couple of weeks of April then it should be the first couple of weeks of May

It seems important that you are very contactable over the next couple of months so if you didn't already give them a backup contact person as well as yourself then it would be a good idea to do that so you don't miss any comms from them.

Here's some links to reviews of past applicant's experience through the language interview step:

And of course Camerata's original post:

Thanks to all those guys who've taken the time to post their experiences in the past - your notes have been incredibly helpful to us later generations :)

I also delivered my last documents a couple of weeks ago ( one outstanding) and my case officer told us when final doc( end March) is delivered interview would be quite soon after that. Someone else was told there would be also a session to review all documents again in Thai, as part of the interview. Anybody heard something similar?

Looks like you guys are getting close to the final interview and issue of PR. I got my PR back in 2004. I live in Ubon Ratchathani and had to fly 4 times to Bangkok for interviews and processing at the Immigration Centre in Soi Suan Plu, I was getting PR under the cheapest category available then (I applied in 2001) which was 25,000 baht being married to a Thai national and having dependent children. My wife came to the second interview. The third was the language test.

The fourth was the final issue of PR. I received a formal letter and noted all the documents I needed to have with me for last and final stage. Flew down to Bangkok carrying 96,000 baht in cash in my bag. Price under Taksin had suddenly increased from 25,000 to 96,000 baht. At the first desk everything went well. At the second desk the lady asked me where my wife was. I said that she was at home in Ubon. She replied that my wife had to be present to make sure that we were still married. I replied that this was not mentioned in the letter. She said a different office issued that letter and my wife must be there. I said that my wife even if she had to come would not have come, because she was ill with cancer which was true. She died two years later. I said that they could ring her up to talk to her. While they were thinking about this, the boss lady asked me how I was going to pay. I said in cash right now. They also asked me if I expected to get everything done today because normally it takes a few days. I replied yes, that is what was written in the letter, one day, all would be done.

Then there was action. My wife was rung up. They took the cash because they feared I might get mugged if I took the bag with me to lunch. By this time the time was about 10:30 am. All of a sudden they said, you can go for lunch. Come back at 1 pm. At 1 pm everything was done and I walked out with PR. Before departing the boss lady said that I should be grateful to have got it processed inside one day.

Then back to Ubon on the evening flight. Next day to the Ubon Police station to get the brown-red registration book prepared.

What I am saying is that unexpected things can come up during the different stages of getting PR. Be prepared.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So far all is going according to plan. Went this week to check document and sign the affidavit. Took 45 minutes.

They said that this year 270 applications were received. Interviews for first group of applicants would be mid May, others would be scheduled later.

I am still prepared for the unexpected to pop up.

So far all is going according to plan. Went this week to check document and sign the affidavit. Took 45 minutes.

They said that this year 270 applications were received. Interviews for first group of applicants would be mid May, others would be scheduled later.

I am still prepared for the unexpected to pop up.

So you applied December 2015 right? But I meant the applicants from 2014 (The opening window for those was January 2015)

@Beeper - thanks for the update - so all signs are pointing to mid-May for us.

Thanks for sharing the 270 info too - filing that info away to respond to the usual round of "pah 100 per country whats the point" thavisa posts when immigration opens the December 2016 PR round.

@wasisdn - I'm in the December 2015 cohort with Beeper, however I would also like to know the status of the 2014 (Jan 2015) cohort to get an insight into the timing we can expect for our group.

This post from last May is the only info I have so far: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/827854-thai-interior-minister-signs-residency-permit-for-foreigners/ The original prd.go.th link is gone so linking to the TV post. In that article they announced the approval of "565 pending requests and 115 new requests from the consideration of the Immigration Commission’s 1/2015 meeting on 16 March 2015" - it's not clear though if those 115 new requests were from the 2014 (Jan 2015) cohort, or earlier.

wasisdn does that figure of 115 match the number of applicants that were in your round?

Anyone else out there have more info on the 2014 (Jan 2015) cohort that they can share?

could be, definitely not more then that.

but I belive what is written in this article can't be true. in february 2016 the first 10 applicants from january 2015 got their PR and after that zero.

Edit: I have reread the article and this applicants must be from earlier years. because the thai test was sheduled on 3 days end of april last year and as far as I know by end of october they had passed the Immigration and was forwarded to the Ministry of Interior

Edited by wasisdn

Hey wasisdn,

It makes sense - the applicants should pass the language test before being forwarded to the commission for consideration.

Where did you get the information that the applications were forwarded to MoI in Octobr and that 10 applicants had received PR in January? Do you have any sources you can share links to?

Hey wasisdn,

It makes sense - the applicants should pass the language test before being forwarded to the commission for consideration.

Where did you get the information that the applications were forwarded to MoI in Octobr and that 10 applicants had received PR in January? Do you have any sources you can share links to?

sorry I don't have any links, just get the info direct from CW by phone call and Line. The Line message I still have so I can confirm was in october.

I'm on non-b visa but when I applied for the PR I also get a 180 days stamp which I can extend all 180 days again until the result come out

Can't remember when I get the bridging visa but I belive was when they accept my application and paid the 7600 baht

Edited by wasisdn

• 4 weeks later...