Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

On 23/1/2561 at 9:48 PM, skyaslimit said:

Altough I was successful to renew my driver's licence at Jatuchak without presenting my passport or entry stamps.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

A twist, several years back I decided to transfer ownership of a family car to my adult Thai son (he was about 30 yrs old), born in Thailand, Thai national. Transfer from my name. I achieved Thai PR about 20 years earlier.

Son took every possible document with him (Bkk office) besides the blue car book. He encountered the dragon from hell who insisted on more evidence of who the current owner of the car was. Son showed her my Residency book, she insisted loudly there is no such thing in Thailand and declared she would have my son punished for having fake documents. 

She motioned that she was going to rip the book up, son quickly snatched the book out of her hands scooped up all the documents and fled.

He went back a couple of days later, initially trying to see if she was there. Quickly a couple of junior staff recognized and approached my son and said that the dragon was out of the office, they said give us all the documents and well rush it through now. 

They did that and apologized to my son for the rudeness of the dragon and mentioned she does similar acts at least a couple of times every week. They then said, go quickly in case she comes back.

Son fled and came home, all completed. 

• Like 1

A few days back I got talking to a farang couple in a coffee shop here in Chiang Mai. 

In the conversation I mentioned I have PR. They continued:

- They both have retirement visas, end of first year coming up soon meaning renewal coming up soon.

- They shared that they had used an agent in Chiang Mai to get their retirement visas and the agent had told them:

- People on retirement visa can now get PR when they have held a retirement visa for 3 continuous years. No other requirements.

I mentioned that usually PR applicants have to prove they have had a work permit for 3 years and also prove they have cleared their Thai taxes for the 3 years.

There response was; agent didn't mention anything about WP but did mention that foreigners in Thailand under any type of visa do not have to pay tax to the Thai government in any circumstances .

- The agent said they are now holding a special retirement visa classification, declaring in advance that they will convert to PR at three years.

- Agent had also indicated the same agent must help process all three years of retirement visas. First year agent fee 20,000Baht per person, second and third year 18,000Baht per person.

- For married couples only one person needs to initially apply for PR because once achieved PR is automatically granted to the other partner.

Question:  Is this legitimate?

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A twist, several years back I decided to transfer ownership of a family car to my adult Thai son (he was about 30 yrs old), born in Thailand, Thai national. Transfer from my name. I achieved Thai PR about 20 years earlier.

Son took every possible document with him (Bkk office) besides the blue car book. He encountered the dragon from hell who insisted on more evidence of who the current owner of the car was. Son showed her my Residency book, she insisted loudly there is no such thing in Thailand and declared she would have my son punished for having fake documents. 

She motioned that she was going to rip the book up, son quickly snatched the book out of her hands scooped up all the documents and fled.

He went back a couple of days later, initially trying to see if she was there. Quickly a couple of junior staff recognized and approached my son and said that the dragon was out of the office, they said give us all the documents and well rush it through now. 

They did that and apologized to my son for the rudeness of the dragon and mentioned she does similar acts at least a couple of times every week. They then said, go quickly in case she comes back.

Son fled and came home, all completed. 

That is horrible and the subordinates are too terrified to get together and blow the whistle on the dragon to the higher ups for the public good. 

I once encountered a head of registration at a Bangkok district office who insisted my alien book was fake because he said the ‘8’ prefix for ID numbers was only given to Chinese. It is incredible that these idiots are allowed to remain in positions where they have co tact with the public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

A few days back I got talking to a farang couple in a coffee shop here in Chiang Mai. 

In the conversation I mentioned I have PR. They continued:

- They both have retirement visas, end of first year coming up soon meaning renewal coming up soon.

- They shared that they had used an agent in Chiang Mai to get their retirement visas and the agent had told them:

- People on retirement visa can now get PR when they have held a retirement visa for 3 continuous years. No other requirements.

I mentioned that usually PR applicants have to prove they have had a work permit for 3 years and also prove they have cleared their Thai taxes for the 3 years.

There response was; agent didn't mention anything about WP but did mention that foreigners in Thailand under any type of visa do not have to pay tax to the Thai government in any circumstances .

- The agent said they are now holding a special retirement visa classification, declaring in advance that they will convert to PR at three years.

- Agent had also indicated the same agent must help process all three years of retirement visas. First year agent fee 20,000Baht per person, second and third year 18,000Baht per person.

- For married couples only one person needs to initially apply for PR because once achieved PR is automatically granted to the other partner.

Question:  Is this legitimate?

I would tell them that a retiree has as much chance as passing through the eye of a needle as attaining PR and not to spend any more on agents to process retirement extensions which are so simple to do oneself for free. 

At at least they should ask the agent to cite the regulations this theory is based on (all are available in translation) and research it themselves on Immigration’s website, if they still want to believe this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I would tell them that a retiree has as much chance as passing through the eye of a needle as attaining PR and not to spend any more on agents to process retirement extensions which are so simple to do oneself for free. 

At at least they should ask the agent to cite the regulations this theory is based on (all are available in translation) and research it themselves on Immigration’s website, if they still want to believe this stuff.

Thank you.

Hi again, I've been away from this thread since I got my PR in 2012. Anyone could summarize if any changes have happened around PR in the past 5-6 years? I just got to know recently that PR holders can register to the e-gate at Suvarnabhumi. Has anything else changed/been added?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Has anybody got a new re-entry permit recently at CW?

If so what is the turn around time nowadays, please?

Last year I got mine in a couple of hours, and hopefully its about the same nowadays.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi all,

Has anybody got a new re-entry permit recently at CW?

If so what is the turn around time nowadays, please?

Last year I got mine in a couple of hours, and hopefully its about the same nowadays.

Thanks,

Steve
I got mine in February and it took 2 hours from 10am.

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

What happens in case a PR holder changes it's nationality (non Thai Nationality) ? Is PR still valid ? Please share process in case this has happened to someone?

I am also interested in this. My guess is that the main obstacle might be the fact that we all qualified under a country quota.

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, tamvine said:

What happens in case a PR holder changes it's nationality (non Thai Nationality) ? Is PR still valid ? Please share process in case this has happened to someone?

It could well be, since the red book contains an indication to report such change:

RedBook_ChangeNat.jpg.b557fcc9ca938e6d1d8e28508eb1e1d9.jpg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

It could well be, since the red book contains an indication to report such change:

It could be that all that is needed is to report the change of nationality to your local police station with, of course, the usual copies of countless documents all certified as true and correct by yourself.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Thanks GabbaGabbaHey that clarifies. BY the way would you have the whole document? Could you share please?

Assuming you want to start travelling out of and into Thailand with a passport of a different country, I don't see how it could be done without going to Immigration and having records changed to enable the next Blue Book endorsement and re-entry stamp in a new passport, and then Red Book and tabien baan would have to be changed to keep everything in sync.

16 hours ago, orientalist said:

But that was after I filled in the forms, which took 30 minutes. The previous year I was sent straight to Room E1(?) and the officer filled out the forms for me in about 5 minutes.

I always fill in the forms at home before I go, I find it easier to show to the reception guy giving out the queue numbers.

While on the subject of Alien certificates, does anyone know what the regulations are concerning 5 yearly reporting?

My initial (1+5) 6 years is up around October this year but since I need to report to them that the local authorities have changed my address before my re-entry expires in July, it would be more convenient if I could renew the 5 year thing a few months early to save 2 visits to the police station.

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Here on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/download/

Interesting about filling in forms. For the past three years when I have got my annual multi-reentry permits I have never filled in any forms. Just pass over my passport, blue book and red book. The police person on duty fills everything in on the computer. I think it was four yerars ago I carefully filled in the forms for reentry in my office and when I went to the Ubon Ratchathani Immigration they told me not to bother again. Last time I went was in January this year and I think it took about 40 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

Interesting about filling in forms. For the past three years when I have got my annual multi-reentry permits I have never filled in any forms. Just pass over my passport, blue book and red book. The police person on duty fills everything in on the computer. I think it was four yerars ago I carefully filled in the forms for reentry in my office and when I went to the Ubon Ratchathani Immigration they told me not to bother again. Last time I went was in January this year and I think it took about 40 minutes. 

They do that here at Ubon immigration. But not all offices will do the forms for you.

I think they may have the previous one saved on their network so they only need to update it.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do that here at Ubon immigration. But not all offices will do the forms for you.

I think they may have the previous one saved on their network so they only need to update it.

Did you have to put your fingerprint in a big ledger?

You still had to do that last year in CW when I got mine?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not on PR so would not know about that. They do it for all applicants not just PR holders.

I had to do that 20+ years ago when I first got PR.

I've since had to replace the dark blue* certificate of residence book twice because it was full, both times had to put my fingerprint in the big ledger.

* When they replace it, the colour changes to a white book (everything else is the same, just the colour of the cover changes to white). 

Edited by scorecard