Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

4 hours ago, stbkk said:

Did you have to put your fingerprint in a big ledger?

You still had to do that last year in CW when I got mine?

Definitely NO fingerprints for getting a standard multi or single re-entry permit in Ubon Ratchathani for myself as a PR. And NO fingerprints for getting the next five years PR  permit in the red book at the local police station in Ubon. 

14 hours ago, tamvine said:

Thanks GabbaGabbaHey that clarifies. BY the way would you have the whole document? Could you share please?

Yes and no, I mean I have it, but after thinking twice it might not help or worse, mislead you and others. The red book seems an antique out of the 70's, I am sure the printed matter inside could have been meaningful regarding immigration 50 years ago, but doesn't look like a reference at all. I think only PR office in ChaengWattana can provide the answer to your original question, and if you really need it you should call or have someone call them.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

On 5/22/2018 at 8:59 PM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Yes and no, I mean I have it, but after thinking twice it might not help or worse, mislead you and others. The red book seems an antique out of the 70's, I am sure the printed matter inside could have been meaningful regarding immigration 50 years ago, but doesn't look like a reference at all. I think only PR office in ChaengWattana can provide the answer to your original question, and if you really need it you should call or have someone call them.

Just guessing here, but considering the pile of documents we have to go through when applying for PR and proving with passport copies and WP that we worked so long etc, I cannot imagine that we can change nationality and use a fresh passport. I would think one would just have to start the whole process again from the beginning.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:46 AM, onthemoon said:

Just guessing here, but considering the pile of documents we have to go through when applying for PR and proving with passport copies and WP that we worked so long etc, I cannot imagine that we can change nationality and use a fresh passport. I would think one would just have to start the whole process again from the beginning.

I would take the opposite view.

PR is a document given by the Thai government that allows you to stay in Thailand.  Once you have gone through all the hoops to get PR.   Why would it matter that your nationality has changed.  Your status in Thailand is still the same.  Of course there would be a procedure to update your information as they do when you change passports.

only one way to find out ....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

I would take the opposite view.

PR is a document given by the Thai government that allows you to stay in Thailand.  Once you have gone through all the hoops to get PR.   Why would it matter that your nationality has changed.  Your status in Thailand is still the same.  Of course there would be a procedure to update your information as they do when you change passports.

only one way to find out ....

Interesting point, once an individual person has been approved to be granted PR (not that easy to achieve) perhaps some years back / many years back does a later change of nationality have any impact on the original approval? Seems to me NO.

But whether it causes later complications regarding quotas is another question, but is it a critical point? Surely not.

But what do the actual regulations say?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Interesting point, once an individual person has been approved to be granted PR (not that easy to achieve) perhaps some years back / many years back does a later change of nationality have any impact on the original approval? Seems to me NO.

But whether it causes later complications regarding quotas is another question, but is it a critical point? Surely not.

But what do the actual regulations say?

I am not sure there are specific regulations for what must a rather rare case. If anyone really has to deal with this issue, they should ask the PR section at CW.  At any rate it would only be necessary to involve Immigration and the local police station, if you changed your nationality and also gave up your former nationality.  Otherwise you could continue using your original nationality in Thailand with no need to report the change.  In practical terms it would be difficult to qualify for naturalisation in another country while continuing to be resident in Thailand, although there are other ways to obtain another nationality, e.g. purchasing a banana republic nationality or simply by activating another nationality one had always been entitled to but never used. 

Basically this seems to be a very academic question, unworthy of our attention, unless anyone claims to really facing this issue.  

• Like 1

Has anyone moved from one province to another?

I owned a condo in BKK, which I am registered in the Tabien Baan as the owner. I recently built a house in HH, which I am the lease holder of the land.  I also got a Tabien Baan for this house, but its empty. Just the address.

Would I encounter any problems moving my address to this house? How would I go on to do this. Anyone know? 

Thanks in advance

It is standard practice for developers to give buyers of houses and condos a blank tabien baan book but you are not under an obligation to use them.  It seems a completely pointless practice and a waste of paper, since anyone with the right documents can get a tabien baan issued without one of these blank books and most of them probably get lost or thrown away.  Having said that, I am sure you could use this book, if you wanted to transfer your tabien baan from Bangkok to Hua Hin.  You would need to check with the district office what documents you need. They would want permission from the owner of the land for you to be there, even though you have a lease agreement, but it is just a standard form. I did this as a PR and got a new book issued for a house with myself as "householder" without any difficulties and the district office talked me through the steps and filled in the forms for me.  If you owned the house structure, you might not need permission from the land owner, but there is limited advantage in owning a house structure but not the land, in my opinion, and it can only be done at the point that a house number is issued. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arkady said:

It is standard practice for developers to give buyers of houses and condos a blank tabien baan book but you are not under an obligation to use them.  It seems a completely pointless practice and a waste of paper, since anyone with the right documents can get a tabien baan issued without one of these blank books and most of them probably get lost or thrown away.  Having said that, I am sure you could use this book, if you wanted to transfer your tabien baan from Bangkok to Hua Hin.  You would need to check with the district office what documents you need. They would want permission from the owner of the land for you to be there, even though you have a lease agreement, but it is just a standard form. I did this as a PR and got a new book issued for a house with myself as "householder" without any difficulties and the district office talked me through the steps and filled in the forms for me.  If you owned the house structure, you might not need permission from the land owner, but there is limited advantage in owning a house structure but not the land, in my opinion, and it can only be done at the point that a house number is issued. 

OK. Thanks. So do I need to contact district office in BKK before the move you think? Or just go to the local Amphur in Hua Hin right away? 

On 5/28/2018 at 12:26 PM, skyaslimit said:

Can we renew our red alien book before the expiry date?Or it has to be the specific date written by the police officer?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have updated my red police registration book 6 times, 3 times in the initial location, central Thailand, then 3 times in the new location after whole family moved to the far North, always about 2 weeks to maybe 3 days before the expiry date. But if it was late my guess is that would attract some attention. 

I have updated my red police registration book 6 times, 3 times in the initial location, central Thailand, then 3 times in the new location after whole family moved to the far North, always about 2 weeks to maybe 3 days before the expiry date. But if it was late my guess is that would attract some attention. 

Thank you, I am planning to do it 3-4 weeks earlier if they let me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

My Red Book 5 yearly renewal is coming up next month - if anyone has renewed recently can they list what is needed please ?

I brought everything with me just in case (PR, PP, WP,  tabian baan...) but mostly what they used was the red book and my pink ID card. I just had to fill a half-A4 form, sign it and pay the fees.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I brought everything with me just in case (PR, PP, WP,  tabian baan...) but mostly what they used was the red book and my pink ID card. I just had to fill a half-A4 form, sign it and pay the fees.

Last time I went in Ubon they only wanted the red book. Nothing else. Plus I think four photographs.

On 5/28/2018 at 9:45 AM, scorecard said:

interesting point, once an individual person has been approved to be granted PR (not that easy to achieve) perhaps some years back

What makes it so hard?

I remember when I was looking into it, it was about 9,000 and then Taksin raised it to something ridiculous which made it not worth it, IMHO.

Citizenship is the way for me, which I estimate will cost a total of no more than 15,000 baht.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:43 PM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Many thanks - can you remember the fee ?

• 3 weeks later...
Went to CW yesterday to get my 1 year multiple Re-Entry permit stamped. Reached there at 1130 hrs.
1) Picked up 2 forms from the counter. Filled in both and affix 1 picture in each form.
2) Took queue number.
3) Went to Room E1. There was no queue waiting so it was quick.
4) Gave both the forms, PP,  Red Book, Blue book and Pink ID card to the officer.
5) She filled in the details on her computer, took a picture and generated a receipt of THB 5700 in my case (THB 1900 + THB 3800 for Multi Re-Entry)
6) Finger print taken on 2 ledgers and also both the forms that I submit.
7) She returned the Pink ID card and kept PP, Red Book and Blue Book and told to collect it after lunch (Lunch break is from 1200 hrs - 1300 hrs)
8 ) By 1310 got back my multi re entry stamped on PP and Blue Book. 
Had I been there 1 hour before lunch, the possibility was I could have got the job done before lunch.

55 minutes ago, mrpickledgherkins said:
Went to CW yesterday to get my 1 year multiple Re-Entry permit stamped. Reached there at 1130 hrs.
1) Picked up 2 forms from the counter. Filled in both and affix 1 picture in each form.
2) Took queue number.
3) Went to Room E1. There was no queue waiting so it was quick.
4) Gave both the forms, PP,  Red Book, Blue book and Pink ID card to the officer.
5) She filled in the details on her computer, took a picture and generated a receipt of THB 5700 in my case (THB 1900 + THB 3800 for Multi Re-Entry)
6) Finger print taken on 2 ledgers and also both the forms that I submit.
7) She returned the Pink ID card and kept PP, Red Book and Blue Book and told to collect it after lunch (Lunch break is from 1200 hrs - 1300 hrs)
8 ) By 1310 got back my multi re entry stamped on PP and Blue Book. 
Had I been there 1 hour before lunch, the possibility was I could have got the job done before lunch.

Yes it's pretty efficient these days; I did the same last month in roughly the same time.One question.Did the officer actually need the PInk ID card? I had mine in my wallet and didn't think for a moment it would be needed (It wasn't - at least she didn't ask for it)

48 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Yes it's pretty efficient these days; I did the same last month in roughly the same time.One question.Did the officer actually need the PInk ID card? I had mine in my wallet and didn't think for a moment it would be needed (It wasn't - at least she didn't ask for it)

Same thing when I went to CW a few months back to replace my full Residency book, I put the pink card on top of the other books and slid them across the desk to the officer. She immediately picked up the pink card, didn't look at the details at all, and quickly gave it back to me with no comment.

Is this perhaps because the pink card is now issued to other visa holders as well as PR holders, in other words it doesn't alone confirm the person is a PR holder?

Edited by scorecard

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Same thing when I went to CW a few months back to replace my full Residency book, I put the pink card on top of the other books and slid them across the desk to the officer. She immediately picked up the pink card, didn't look at the details at all, and quickly gave it back to me with no comment.

Is this perhaps because the pink card is now issued to other visa holders as well as PR holders, in other words it doesn't alone confirm the person is a PR holder?

That could be it.Or possibly since the Red Book is evidence of ID, the PInk Card is superfluous if the Red Book is available?

In all my years of holding PR, I have never had my finger prints taken when getting my multiple re-entry permit at immigration in Ubon. Is this a new practice? My last multiple re-entry was in January so I will see what happens when I get my next permit in 2019.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

No, she didn't ask for Pink ID Card. I just put it along with other documents. She saw it and returned it back to me without any comment.

1 hour ago, Michael Hare said:

In all my years of holding PR, I have never had my finger prints taken when getting my multiple re-entry permit at immigration in Ubon. Is this a new practice? My last multiple re-entry was in January so I will see what happens when I get my next permit in 2019.

At CW, I got finger prints put on the ledger book last year as well as this year. May be that's their way to put on record that the PR Holder physically visited the Immigration Office to renew re entry permit instead of sending a proxy.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

The pink card is a certainly a convenience but is not designed for PR holders and just denotes someone who doesn’t have Thai as well as saying on the back that you are not permitted to travel outside your district. I am not surprised CW doesn’t want to see if. At any rate, if the government got its act together and issued smart cards to PR holders, the red book could be dumped and a number of senior sergeant majors at CW could be put out to grass.

5 hours ago, mrpickledgherkins said:

At CW, I got finger prints put on the ledger book last year as well as this year. May be that's their way to put on record that the PR Holder physically visited the Immigration Office to renew re entry permit instead of sending a proxy.

I've had my prints taken at CW every time I've got a new re-entry permit, ever since 2012. TIT.