Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

One advantage of PR is that you're now in the Ministry of Interior's ID card database. Any police office anywhere in Thailand can look up and confirm your identity from their desktops, either from your name or your newly-issued identification number (13 digits, starts with 8).

After getting the citizenship, I wonder what's your birth place shown in thai passport? Is it the province you born? Or the country? Or the city? Is it your choice to select either of these to be shown as your birth place?

No, you cannot change your place of birth. It will mirror that which appears on your original foreign passport.

One advantage of PR is that you're now in the Ministry of Interior's ID card database. Any police office anywhere in Thailand can look up and confirm your identity from their desktops, either from your name or your newly-issued identification number (13 digits, starts with 8).

After getting the citizenship, I wonder what's your birth place shown in thai passport? Is it the province you born? Or the country? Or the city? Is it your choice to select either of these to be shown as your birth place?

Not that I've been naturalised - I was born Thai - but my passport simply (and has always) says 'Australia'.

So it means it simply puts your birth country i.e. Australia, and Not Sydney, New South Wales etc.

What it says in case of NewlymintedThai?

I suspect that you could probably write whichever you prefer. It's a bit like filling in an arrival card or visa application. There is usually a field for date and "place" of birth. If I look in my passport it mentions a city that anyone from another country has probably never heard of so I usually write the country - but i have put the city sometimes. No one ever seems to care.

Congratulations to those who got their PR!

How did you pay the fee of THB 171,000 (half for people married to a Thai)? Cash, cashier‘s cheque, credit card?

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

I paid in cash last week - this is what immigration said would be easier (only other alternative is cashiers cheque but this takes a while for them to check on). I don't think credit card is an option.

Edited by Haddo

Hey guys,

Now this is a very reliable post that I have recieved the letter from immigration today. so all of you guys from class of 2006 should get prepared for the good news.

Congratulations. Looks like there could be a stampede to Chaeng Watthana now !

You are supposed to carry your Thai ID, if you have one, which in the case of PRs is the red book. Problem is that it is bulky and very cheaply made, so it starts falling to pieces after a couple of years, even though it is intended to last for a life time with plenty of space for endorsements or adding and changing details. Most the surviving old Chinese PRs probably don't have Chinese passports any more (you see them getting temporary alien travel documents at Immigration), so have no other acceptable ID. Their books looked very ragged and dog eared like a pile of mush on the desk of the policeman that does endorsements at the local cop shop. For others it is better to carry a Thai driving licence and/or passport. I have never been given sh*t for not having either the red book or my passport with me but that could happen in an entertainment place "crack down". Traffic cops only ever ask for a driving licence.

You are supposed to carry your Thai ID, if you have one, which in the case of PRs is the red book. Problem is that it is bulky and very cheaply made, so it starts falling to pieces after a couple of years, even though it is intended to last for a life time with plenty of space for endorsements or adding and changing details. Most the surviving old Chinese PRs probably don't have Chinese passports any more (you see them getting temporary alien travel documents at Immigration), so have no other acceptable ID. Their books looked very ragged and dog eared like a pile of mush on the desk of the policeman that does endorsements at the local cop shop. For others it is better to carry a Thai driving licence and/or passport. I have never been given sh*t for not having either the red book or my passport with me but that could happen in an entertainment place "crack down". Traffic cops only ever ask for a driving licence.

I was in a police raid at a discotheque a couple of years ago, and my Thai driver's licence was perfectly sufficient as an ID.

My husband who applied for PR in 2006 just received his this week. There are still a couple of steps we haven't finished - he hasn't got his red book from the police yet (the person who had to sign wasn't there) and he still has to go to register in the tabien baan with our landlord.

He said that the first day he went to Immigration (Bangkok) it was total chaos. Nobody could figure out what he had to do. I think maybe they'd forgotten the process after so long! When he went back to pick up his blue book he took a Thai friend to help.

He had to pay 191,000 baht and they would only accept cash.

He was informed via a phone call from an official in Immigration, who understood some English. The official also knew about my application (in 2007) and said I hadn't been approved yet.

More details forthcoming.

Best,

Dr. Disco

My husband who applied for PR in 2006 just received his this week. There are still a couple of steps we haven't finished - he hasn't got his red book from the police yet (the person who had to sign wasn't there) and he still has to go to register in the tabien baan with our landlord.

He said that the first day he went to Immigration (Bangkok) it was total chaos. Nobody could figure out what he had to do. I think maybe they'd forgotten the process after so long! When he went back to pick up his blue book he took a Thai friend to help.

He was informed via a phone call from an official in Immigration, who understood some English. The official also knew about my application (in 2007) and said I hadn't been approved yet.

Best,

Dr. Disco

I am delighted to hear the class of 2006 is starting to receive the good news.

At Chaengwattana Immigration most of the staff don't know much about permanent residence but there are two small sections there that know all there is to know about it. One issues new and replacement books and the other issues endorsements. They are next to each other up the far end to the right. You need to get the section numbers yourself and ask the official at the front, who won't have a clue, for a queue number. Then all will be fine.

BTW I am surprised that you needed to speak English to Immigration, if you applied in 2007. I thought they had already introduced the requirement to pass a Thai language test by then. Now, as reported by a friend who was interviewed a few months ago, after applying in 2011, it is a elaborate affair involving a panel interview by officials from different agencies.

Edited by Arkady

Best,

Dr. Disco

Thankyou for the update and I am from 2007 batch as well. Once you have good news please share for the 2007 batch. Obviously I shall post moment I have some news at my end.

It seems a very puzzled way of approvals of PR and thereafter intimation of the same to the people who are getting approved.

- Initially it seems 200 PR's were approved and royal treatment was given while handing over the PR book at Immegration. It involved some from 2006 and some from 2007 (don;t know if 2005 or 2008) were part of this as well?

- People reporting on this forum have received information via phone calls and letters. For me confusion as whenever I call they say wait for the letter.

- Later it was informed on the forum that 500 more are at CW now and more 2006 are receiving letter or phone calls. Still many 2007 waiting. Considering 500 approvals, it must include 2007 , however still fingers crossed.

More help is needed from the lucky ones to post as much info. as possible.

It seems a very puzzled way of approvals of PR and thereafter intimation of the same to the people who are getting approved.

- Initially it seems 200 PR's were approved and royal treatment was given while handing over the PR book at Immegration. It involved some from 2006 and some from 2007 (don;t know if 2005 or 2008) were part of this as well?

- People reporting on this forum have received information via phone calls and letters. For me confusion as whenever I call they say wait for the letter.

- Later it was informed on the forum that 500 more are at CW now and more 2006 are receiving letter or phone calls. Still many 2007 waiting. Considering 500 approvals, it must include 2007 , however still fingers crossed.

More help is needed from the lucky ones to post as much info. as possible.

One of my freinds 2006 recieved adirect call from immigration while my self also from 2006 recieved an approval letter. I have to report there within 30 days so no rush, as my freind goes to CW today to complete the procedure today, as he was in contact with me via phone many times he explained that the procedures are consuming a lot of time per person and every thing is chaos. So be patient Immigration is really working hard on this and many of you may recieve letters or calls from CW.

GOOD LUCK

I'm also in the class of 2006 & went down to CW today to do my usual 6 monthly extension.

Once I sat down they said "We were about to call you!"

They handed me the approval letter and introduced me to the team at Section E. Not having the required 95,700 Bht in my wallet at the time, I said I will come back in a couple of days to start the process.

At 9.30am the ticket queue at Section E was already up to E25/E27.

They told me approx. 400 people approved in this batch, not sure which year(s) though.

All the best to those still waiting.

• Like 1

Will the woes of the Minister of the Interior impact the clearing of PR applications? I understand that he has to grant (sign?) approval and with his plate filled to overflowing with calls for resignation, he may have more important things to worry about. Such as saving his own skin. I hope not, but you never know.

Hi, anybody get news from the batch of december 2011?

Thanks

Dear Friend, It has been waiting for past 6 years for the batch of 2006 to get PR. In my view there were no approvals since 2006 mainly due to political uncertainity in the country. As I understand beginning of the year 2012 Interior Ministry was taken to court by some people on this issue and things started to move. Immegration was asked to send all pending cases in 2 batches 2006/7/8 and 2009/10/11 to IM for the processing in last Feb/Mar. . I guess 2011 was still under process that time. After no movement for next 6 months things started moving in Sept. and now for sure 2006 batch is getting PR's.

Some members in this forum have confirmed they received PR from 2007 class but majority is still waiting for good news.

No one for sure knows as to how many PR's and for which batches have received approval though numbers discussed in this forum have varied from 200 to 700 in total.

Now it is unfortunate that the Interior Minister is facing some troubles at his end. So I can only pray that he signs everything before it is too late. for people waiting for so.....long. If things are not so stable in IM and if there are any changes I wonder waiting can only be longer for so many souls.

Edited by tamvine
  • Like 1

My process is all complete now - finished off with the re-entry stamps yesterday.

I asked the ladies at the Permanent Residence section which documents I should carry around now - they said Passport, Certificate of Residence (Blue Book), and a copy of the Alien Registration (red book). No need for the original red book to be carried all of the time.

• Like 1

My process is all complete now - finished off with the re-entry stamps yesterday.

I asked the ladies at the Permanent Residence section which documents I should carry around now - they said Passport, Certificate of Residence (Blue Book), and a copy of the Alien Registration (red book). No need for the original red book to be carried all of the time.

Thanks for passing that on and I'm not trying to shoot the messenger but if they tell me the same thing, I'm going to ask them whether they really believe that is practical or realistic. Also whether they would like to carry 3 flimsy paper documents around with them 365 days a year in rain, hail or shine.

However they answer, I'm not going to be doing it.