Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

299 applicants refer to the quota applicants who applied in 2005 (who have since passed prelim consideration

(the other 19 applicants were either non-quota special cases or applied in other years)

of the 299 successful prelim passers for Thai permanent residence (2005 applicants):

East Asia (Chinese/Japanese/S Korean) = 108

ASEAN (Burmese/Sing/Malay etc.) = 27

South Asia (Indian/Bangladeshi/Sri Lankan etc.) = 50

Middle East (Lebanon/Syrian etc.) = 5

European (UK/German etc.) = 68

North Amer (USA/Canada) = 28

Australian = 13

COMMENTS: no country came even close to their 100 person quota

no one from South (Latin) American or African nationality passed

New List out for 2005 round. Looks like its final ?

Wiered document , the title is 299 people, but there are 318 in there. If 318 people out of how many % got thru ? I was told on day 1 "no problem at all" ( my secretary did everything, no lawyers / brokers ) which was the case although I was starting to wonder for a while.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/2n...esident_eng.pdf

I have a couple of friends on this list.I was about to send congrats when I noticed Ministry of Interior approval still required.I'll hold off until this confirmed because who knows which way the wind is blowing these days.Anyway good luck to all.

I was relieved to see my name finally on this last list, close to the end. So nothing to do but wait a few months more, right?

Is it conceivable that anyone will get rejected having gotten to this stage? (Or rather I should ask, does anyone know of any cases where that happened?)

Is it safe to quit my job/find a new job -- or should I wait until I get the letter?

I was relieved to see my name finally on this last list, close to the end. So nothing to do but wait a few months more, right?

Is it conceivable that anyone will get rejected having gotten to this stage? (Or rather I should ask, does anyone know of any cases where that happened?)

Is it safe to quit my job/find a new job -- or should I wait until I get the letter?

Doubt it, unless the minister knows you in person and has a gripe, or there is a policy shift. As for changing jobs, doubt that it would be an issue, but better check with the right people.

Doubt it, unless the minister knows you in person and has a gripe, or there is a policy shift. As for changing jobs, doubt that it would be an issue, but better check with the right people.

I have a friend in the same position as yourself, specifically approved in the list but waiting the Ministerial letter.He is also considering changing jobs.His lawyer (same one I used and v.good) has advised there is 99% no possibility of rejection now.Nevertheless he suggests in current climate best hold off any job change or anything that might theoretically compromise the application until alien book/residency book firmly in your hands.Answer to your specific question is that I don't know anyone who has passed Immigration scrutiny and then rejected by Minister of Interior, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen at least under Purachai.

I'm going for my interview next Thursday morning, and I met someone today who has a friend who was interviewed this week. She said that her friend was asked some very "difficult" questions in the Thai interview. I don't have any more information than that. Has anyone heard what sort of questions they're asking this time?

G

Lol..... well, was in last years round, and it was a sinch. I doubt that the questions are difficult from my experience. Never had a visit either. I suspect there are different methodologies for different cases

I discovered that the lady who had the interview last week was in a different category, being sponsored by her son, who is a thai citizen. As he owns a company she was asked all sorts of difficult questions, in Thai, about the company's financies and taxes! She was ill-prepared.

G

I discovered that the lady who had the interview last week was in a different category, being sponsored by her son, who is a thai citizen. As he owns a company she was asked all sorts of difficult questions, in Thai, about the company's financies and taxes! She was ill-prepared.

I had a similar experience. The dates in the back of my work permit (relating to when I left a job) were all screwed up because the companies hadn't reported it until way after the fact. So the dates didn't match those in my CV. This resulted in a fair amount of discussion about my WP, which fortunately I had anticipated. Most of the interview was about my work history, with a few out-of-the-blue questions like "What religion are you?"

Well, its all done now, and despite me being very nervous, all went well! The video is much simpler than I was led to believe, the questions were ok, and there was very much a "sabai jai" atmosphere about it all - lots of smiles all around!

On the subject of questions, they obviously have a number of different sets, as a friend of mine who did the interview yesterday had quite a few different questions to the ones I was given today. People who did this last year (and earlier) all told me that many of the questions were about cultural things, like the colours on the flag, the number of changwats, for example, but my questions were basically all about the procedure and rules of applying. If you have read the list of requirements from their website, you know all the answers :o

G

Well, its all done now, and despite me being very nervous, all went well! The video is much simpler than I was led to believe, the questions were ok, and there was very much a "sabai jai" atmosphere about it all - lots of smiles all around!

On the subject of questions, they obviously have a number of different sets, as a friend of mine who did the interview yesterday had quite a few different questions to the ones I was given today. People who did this last year (and earlier) all told me that many of the questions were about cultural things, like the colours on the flag, the number of changwats, for example, but my questions were basically all about the procedure and rules of applying. If you have read the list of requirements from their website, you know all the answers :o

G

Yup, I think the questions were a piece of cake. Not sure what other experience have been, but I was treated extremly well, and when a document was missing, they even got up and copied themselves insiting I sit down. I think if you work in a legit company, and have a good set of paper work demonstrating you work for a solid company with a solid foundation, there is little to worry about. I have read some "ill" posts about the department, and I wonder about them as it contradicted my experience. Then again, compared to Malaysia immigration who I used to have to report to for 5 years whilst working there, I have nothing but praise for my treatment all these years by Thai immigration. Even in the initial years where I only got 6 months extensions, i was not hassled at all.

Edited by skippybangkok

Gang:

Looks like I just got my letter approving my residency. Now it's time to pony up the cash. Re-reading Camerata's guide I came across a requirement that I didn't understand. To finally finish this process, do I have to have my name added to a tabien ban? What if I am only renting? I didn't think it was normal for a landlord to put a renter on a tabien ban and I'm worried my landlord won't do it.

Thanks.

-Ed

You do have to be put on a tabien baan and that address will be on your documents, so you need to get this sorted out before you go in to Immigration. I wondered about this myself because it must be fairly rare for a foreigner to be on the tabien baan of a rented apartment. My place is rented but I've been there over a decade and am fairly friendly with the owner. It turned out there wasn't any tabien baan for my condo so I got put on the one for the whole building.

My guess is that if your landlord refuses, you'd have to find a Thai friend willing to do the interview and allow you on his tabien baan.

Have any TV members actually done this?

I had a similar experience. The dates in the back of my work permit (relating to when I left a job) were all screwed up because the companies hadn't reported it until way after the fact. So the dates didn't match those in my CV. This resulted in a fair amount of discussion about my WP, which fortunately I had anticipated. Most of the interview was about my work history, with a few out-of-the-blue questions like "What religion are you?"

I am looking at the process now and I am not sure this is a requirement when you apply as working because in my opinion the workpermit is a conformation (at least is all other cases) of your address??

J

Gang:

Looks like I just got my letter approving my residency. Now it's time to pony up the cash. Re-reading Camerata's guide I came across a requirement that I didn't understand. To finally finish this process, do I have to have my name added to a tabien ban? What if I am only renting? I didn't think it was normal for a landlord to put a renter on a tabien ban and I'm worried my landlord won't do it.

Thanks.

-Ed

Hi, Do you mean that your application is already signed by the minister of the Interior and they want you to come and collect the PR book or is it just a letter from the Immigration stating that you have passed the permission from the Imm Bureau and still awaiting for the final approval from the Minister?

Very interesting read, Camerata and thanks for all the input.

When I started to think about applying it was too late last December to get the criminal checks from home.

I am puzzled, do I have to wait til December to hand in the application or can this be done earlier? (As I said in post #124 I was advised "they are 'open' since July, this year.")

Another point. Once the application is submitted there will be a stamp "Application for PR under consideration...." Can this be used to extent the work permit?

I am presently on annual extention (non-imm RE) for working and have a WP. Do I have to keep the annual extention up until (if) the PR is granted or is the application for PR sufficient to keep my status and to extent the WP?

Last but not least. Since I am married (non-Thai) I was told I have to make two applications, one for myself one for the wife. It will not be accepted that I might get PR and only than apply for wife's stay as dependant.

When I started to think about applying it was too late last December to get the criminal checks from home.

I am puzzled, do I have to wait til December to hand in the application or can this be done earlier? (As I said in post #124 I was advised "they are 'open' since July, this year.")

AFAIK, you can only hand in your application after the official opening date in mid-December, and many of your documents must have been signed within 90 days before you apply.

Another point. Once the application is submitted there will be a stamp "Application for PR under consideration...." Can this be used to extent the work permit?

I am presently on annual extention (non-imm RE) for working and have a WP. Do I have to keep the annual extention up until (if) the PR is granted or is the application for PR sufficient to keep my status and to extent the WP?

The 90 day "PR under consideration" stamp terminates any visa you have. That and the subsequent stamps are used for renewing the WP.
Last but not least. Since I am married (non-Thai) I was told I have to make two applications, one for myself one for the wife. It will not be accepted that I might get PR and only than apply for wife's stay as dependant.

No idea on this one as I am not married.

Thanks, so have to talk to labour dept. again, where somebody had advised my staff, 'can stay but no WP'. :o

My present annual extension expires in July, so had hoped to apply for PR in June. Oh well, wait/prepare for December.

No wife? Lucky you. I live with the problem of two nationalities living in a third country for too long.

AFAIK, you can only hand in your application after the official opening date in mid-December, and many of your documents must have been signed within 90 days before you apply.

From what I saw on their notice board, I think the mid-December opening is one thing that has changed this last year. I'm sure it said open July, close 29th December. My first visit was the very beginning of December.

G

Gang:

Thanks.

-Ed

Are you sure ? I got a letter too, but it was a letter saying that I was accepted, but it was waiting for the approval of the minister ( which based on previous years might happen anywhere between now and mid year (??).

I own my apartment, and had my own tabien baan a few months before I went for the PR application. They were a bit perplexed about be being there and the tabien baan when I applied, but is sailed thru. (I think they very rarely see farangs in this office and it was a bit of a novelty ).

Not sure if you dont have one how to do it, but in principle your landlord should put you on his. Bottle of Johnney Walker might do the trick :o

Gang:

Thanks.

-Ed

Are you sure ? I got a letter too, but it was a letter saying that I was accepted, but it was waiting for the approval of the minister ( which based on previous years might happen anywhere between now and mid year (??).

I own my apartment, and had my own tabien baan a few months before I went for the PR application. They were a bit perplexed about be being there and the tabien baan when I applied, but is sailed thru. (I think they very rarely see farangs in this office and it was a bit of a novelty ).

Not sure if you dont have one how to do it, but in principle your landlord should put you on his. Bottle of Johnney Walker might do the trick :o

I'm pretty sure, but not 100%. I applied in December 2005. My name was posted on a list in August 2006 (although I didn't see it until October). I received a letter last week at my office, in Thai of course, that stated that my application had been approved. It also stated the fees that needed to be paid. I had my wife read it, and she said that the letter said that I should go in and pay. Based on what you said, I have my doubts now. I guess it's time to call the residency office and clarify things.

-Ed

I received a letter last week at my office, in Thai of course, that stated that my application had been approved. It also stated the fees that needed to be paid. I had my wife read it, and she said that the letter said that I should go in and pay. Based on what you said, I have my doubts now. I guess it's time to call the residency office and clarify things.

That's the approval letter. You now have 30 days to go into Immigration and finish the process. It should mention that in the letter.

Yes that is also the letter I got last week.

It tells you to PREPARE the money, but not to come in and pay it. Interestingly it warns you that corrupt officials have in the past asked for extra money, but if that happens you should report that to the mentioned hotline numbers.

It does seem a bit early for the final letter to pick up the residence book.