Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I might try to get a PR in the "married" category.

There is, however, one thing that worries me; I just a poor teacher. I make 36 000 / month, split into 25 000 salary and 11 000 "accomodation allowance". I pay about 900 / month in income tax. I have no other assets.

Is it hopeless ?

No not hopeless I would think :o

A lot will depend on how they view you and your wife , IMHO they will judge you by your wife...

Found this on the Immigration Bureau site

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/do...tion4extend.doc

3.1 Qualification of applicant for humanitarian reasons in each circumstance:

3.1.1 Spouse: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of a Thai national spouse

1) The patronage provider works in Thailand,

(1) Be a lawful spouse and had registered their marriage for at least 2 years before the date of application submission, and do have their biological child together in any case of infertility, medical certifying letter issued by the hospital is required. In any case of infertility without a certification letter, their marriage registration must have been made at least 5 years before the date of application submission, and

(2) One party or both parties must earn much enough to provide patronage or having annual income of at least Baht 30,000 per month in average, for at least 2 consecutive years before the date of application submission and evidence of tax return is required and

(3) There is a Thai national who reveal one's purpose to provide patronage or to be under patronage of the applicant.

Edited by brianinbangkok

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd let everyone know that I have received my final approval letter from immigration, requesting that I pay the final fee for residency. I don't read Thai well, but the letter is fairly clear, lisitng the documents I must bring in. I am in the 'class' of December 2005, so I am assuming the rest of you will receive your letters soon if you haven't already.

Now I have to find some way to get put on a tabien baan!

-Ed

At http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/base....;section=notice

There is a notice of "The list applicants of residential permit (non-quota) passed the preliminary consideration of the Immigration Commission and also approval of The Minister of Interior in March, 20 2007"

Only 123 people are listed so it seems that the letters are being handed out in stages. I was in the last batch of people from the "class ot december 2005" to be approved, getting my approval in January. So I suppose that I am some others will still be at least a few weeks away from getting our letters.

Actually since they post names and the list of documents required, it seems that we can go in once our name appeares on the website rather than waiting for the letter to arrive. This is particularly useful for those of us who have changed jobs or addresses since the application was made.

Actually since they post names and the list of documents required, it seems that we can go in once our name appeares on the website rather than waiting for the letter to arrive.

Possibly, but my letter said I had to take the letter to Immigration with me.

Anyone have any advice about getting put on a tabien baan? I think I've got two options: 1) try to convince my current landlady to put me on the paper for my current apartment in Bangkok; or 2) get put on the paper for my wife's Mom's property in Ubon. How difficult is it? There is a special book for foreigners, right? Is it a difficult process if the owner wants to do it? Is it more than one visit to the district office? Is there any advantage to getting put on a tabien baan in Bangkok as opposed to Ubon?

It's amazing that after more than 2 years, there are still more hoops to jump through. But I've got less than a month until I have to pay and provide the additional documentation.

Thanks as always.

-Ed

Anyone have any advice about getting put on a tabien baan? I think I've got two options: 1) try to convince my current landlady to put me on the paper for my current apartment in Bangkok; or 2) get put on the paper for my wife's Mom's property in Ubon. How difficult is it? There is a special book for foreigners, right? Is it a difficult process if the owner wants to do it? Is it more than one visit to the district office? Is there any advantage to getting put on a tabien baan in Bangkok as opposed to Ubon?

It's amazing that after more than 2 years, there are still more hoops to jump through. But I've got less than a month until I have to pay and provide the additional documentation.

Thanks as always.

-Ed

I am not expert..... i have my own apartment and it was quite quick and easy. Maybe spent 30 mins there, met the head of the office who thought it was a novelty.....that was it. If your renting, might be a issue from what i hear without a friendly land lord.

There is a notice of "The list applicants of residential permit (non-quota) passed the preliminary consideration of the Immigration Commission and also approval of The Minister of Interior in March, 20 2007"

What is the meaning of "non-quota" in the name of this document? I'm assuming it means Category 5 on their list ("Extra circumstances on a case by case basis"), as opposed to investment/working/marriage/expert.

Any thoughts?

Graham

Thanks as always.

-Ed

You can do either.The disadvantage of the first is that your landlady may not be willing, and of course you might move later in which case you would need to replicate the process for your new apartment.The disadvantage of the second might be that an upcountry district office might be unfamiliar with the process.But on balance the second seems the best bet.I would suggest you go to the Ubon office with your mother in law(essential) and any local Thai friend who has a position of authority (senior schoolmaster etc).

The process is not at all difficult in itself but obviously the owner must be willing!.There is no special book for foreigners:your name will simply be added to the blue tabien baan book.I visited the office just once and my driver picked up the completed documents about a week later.I can't think of any particular advantage of getting in a tabien baan in one place or another.

If I were you I'd call Room 202 at Immigration and ask them about this. Once you go to collect your residence certificate they'll ask you for details of the tabien baan and address of the police in that district so they can write letters to them. You then only have 7 days to get registered with the police there. They asked me "Do you really live there?" so I guess there are cases where people choose a tabien baan where they don't live.

In my case there were two interviews with the head of the registration section at the district office. In the first I submitted documents. In the second I had to take my landlady plus one other Thai. They had to provide their ID cards and act as witnesses. The landlady was asked questions about how she knew me and for how long. This guy was abnormally meticulous, so it may be easier than that at other district offices.

If you own your own condo you provide your own yellow "tabien baan farang," otherwise it is the landlady's blue one. If your landlady doesn't have a tabien baan for your apartment (quite possible), she may have to put you on one for the building's registered office. That's what happened to me. In fact my landlady was using that tabien baan herself. It may be common that there is no tabien baan for an apartment. Better check on that first.

I am in the class of Dec 06 & have the “Resident Status Under Consideration….” Stamped up until end of June 07. The date is exactly the same as when my Non-Imm RE Permit & Work Permit expire.

Now, my company is gearing up to do the next annual extension, but I’m just a bit confused about what order everything is supposed to happen. It’s my understanding that I’m meant to go back to Room 301 FIRST & get a 3 or hopefully 6 month extension, TM 25 (plus re-entry permit) then, give my passport & WP to the company lawyer to sort out the rest, which should be the WP annual renewal only, is this correct?

Our company lawyer wasn’t used for my residency application, so he currently has no idea that I’ve got one of those stamps in my passport.

Thanks for your assistance.

Now, my company is gearing up to do the next annual extension, but I’m just a bit confused about what order everything is supposed to happen. It’s my understanding that I’m meant to go back to Room 301 FIRST & get a 3 or hopefully 6 month extension, TM 25 (plus re-entry permit) then, give my passport & WP to the company lawyer to sort out the rest, which should be the WP annual renewal only, is this correct?

Yes. That's exactly what I did. As far as I recall, Immigration only needs to see your passport and work permit. Whatever stamp they give you (3 or 6 month), your work permit extension will be up to that date.

• 2 weeks later...

So now I have a certificate of residence , is there any point in transfering the original Non-Immigrant B visa from my present passport to the new one when I need to renew my passport ? (or do you just keep the old passport as I am not sure you can have this transferred to a new passport).

Seems it has no value anymore to me but maybe they need it if I find a new job and need a workpermit again ?

All other visa's and extensions in my passport have been canceled except the original Non-Immigrant B , any reason for this ?

Logicaly the Non B should no longer be needed for anything , but then TIT and one government agency refused my certificate of residence as proof of me living in Thailand (registration of becoming a board member for a Thai non profit organisation) and insisted I get a letter from my embassy stating I live in Thailand , completely crazy IMHO but thats why I ask about the NON B visa.

What needs to be transfered to the new passport just the page with the details of the certificate of residence and nothing else ?

Edited by brianinbangkok

What needs to be transfered to the new passport just the page with the details of the certificate of residence and nothing else ?

Nothing at all. In my case my passport was full and needed renewing right after getting residence, but they told me the details of residence are in the residence certificate (which you must take with you and get stamped when leaving/entering the country) so it is not transferred to a new passport. That proved to be correct. When I next left the country my passport only had a re-entry permit in it and that was fine. They stamped the passport and the residence certificate.

Logicaly the Non B should no longer be needed for anything , but then TIT and one government agency refused my certificate of residence as proof of me living in Thailand (registration of becoming a board member for a Thai non profit organisation) and insisted I get a letter from my embassy stating I live in Thailand , completely crazy IMHO but thats why I ask about the NON B visa.

Your name on the tabien baan should be absolute proof of where you live, so should your Alien's Registration book, but I guess it depends on who you are dealing with.

agree, the tabieen baan in Thailand is pretty much the trump card in any situation I've found. It is an official govt document that everyone knows...

Neverthess, totally understand the TIT reaction to the 'you no hab wisa in your padport'...ie to run and hide.

Thanks for the answers guys , so no need for me to move anything over to a new passport :o

" Your name on the tabien baan should be absolute proof of where you live, so should your Alien's Registration book, but I guess it depends on who you are dealing with."

FYI :

The government office refused to accept my Alien Registration book , the Tabien Baan with my name in it and the Residence Certificate as proof that I live in Thailand.

The regulations stated "foreigner must show letter from embassy" .... and thats what they demanded. TIT

"maps ... ... of your place of residence ... ... with photo".

Does this rule have any practical importance today ? Do they care where you live ?

What about a 1.500 baht fan room, or sleeping on the floor in your mother-in-law's house in Issan ?

Has anybody been told that it might be a good idea to upgrade to a better looking dwelling ?

This might be a difficult question, but somebody might know. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for PR in December 2005 and got preliminary approval in January 2007 from Immigration, pending the minister's approval. I see people who got approval a few month's earlier were approved in May. My best guess for final approval was June, but we're now at mid-June and still not a peep from anyone.

Is there anyone else here in the same boat -- class of Dec 2005, approved Jan 2007 (prelim) and still waiting for that final notice...?

CDB

"maps ... ... of your place of residence ... ... with photo".

Does this rule have any practical importance today ? Do they care where you live ?

They do ask for several photos of residence and place of work. My guess is they expect everything to match. If you're earning 300K a month they'll be a bit surprised if you live in a 1500 baht apartment.

Hi, I'm an unmarried man working in a government university for 22K per month plus 8K per month expenses, with all papers in order (including income tax).

Is the salary requirement for PR (I read 80K/month in several posts) set in stone? Do I have a chance for PR?

Thanks

I suspect from reading you are aware that nothing is set in stone with regard to such issues - but unless there are countering positive factors the income is probably important for most applicants. Obviously the more documented value you bring the better so if you have a masters (or better doctorate degree) they would probably work in your favor to offset the lower wage scale. There is also the factor of change - what may be regarded as normal today may well not be the same criteria used a few years down the road. As with most things if you work toward it (language/history/personal qualifications/extra activities and such) the goal becomes more realistic.

Believe most people have received very objective consul from Immigration Officers (although I suspect most would never say no directly) as to there chances so when you feel ready I would suggest you talk with them and get there advise.

If you're earning 300K a month they'll be a bit surprised if you live in a 1500 baht apartment.

"Farang Kee Niaow" comes to mind. :D

I wonder how many government officials are in the opposite situation,

living in houses way beyond their salary. :o

Hi, I'm an unmarried man working in a government university for 22K per month plus 8K per month expenses, with all papers in order (including income tax).

Is the salary requirement for PR (I read 80K/month in several posts) set in stone? Do I have a chance for PR?

Thanks

If you work at a prestigeous university and have good local contacts,

all things are possible. :D

I applied for PR in December 2005 and got preliminary approval in January 2007 from Immigration, pending the minister's approval. I see people who got approval a few month's earlier were approved in May. My best guess for final approval was June, but we're now at mid-June and still not a peep from anyone.

Is there anyone else here in the same boat -- class of Dec 2005, approved Jan 2007 (prelim) and still waiting for that final notice...?

CDB

Yep...I'm another almost-graduate of the class of 2005. Got the "Immigration Commission Approved" letter in January but nothing since. Rumours further up this thread that the Interior Minister will be signing another batch in June, but TiT. Not sure if he actually watches all the videos before putting pen to paper - maybe that's what's taking so long. :o

I'm in the process of applying for PR (application lodged September 2006).

I've just received a demand that I, my wife, and son undergo a DNA test (at a government hospital) to proove genetic relationship!

Apparently this is something new this year - has anyone else received this letter?

Under which category did you apply, Haddo? This does sound rather 1984.

I applied under the category of supporting a Thai family.

My son was born 2 years after our marriage, and I am listed as the father on the birth certificate, so it appears they don't accept what is written on the Thai birth certificate!

Doesn't this infringe on one's human rights, having to undergo a DNA test? .. but, as it says in the letter, if they don't get the results of the DNA test within 1 month, they will take it that you do not want to procede with your PR application.

(I've tried to upload a scan of the letter, but for some reason, I can't get it to attach to this message.)