Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Just found this thread and it is very informative but I am a little unclear on the necessary steps in order to complete my residency. I applied for residency in 2012, have now received the approval letter and on Monday I went to Chaeng Wattana and paid the fee (THB191,400) before being issued with a receipt. I am due to go on Thursday to collect the residency book, so I believe the steps required are as follows:

• Collect residency book and the letter for the local police station (This Thursday) .
  • Attend local police station with the letter to get the Alien residency book (I will try to go on Thursday).
  • Return to Chaeng Wattana with my passport, alien registration book and residency book for a Residence book endorsement and 1 year re-entry visa in my passport. (I am not sure if I have to register on a Tabian Baan before I can get the visa?)

The complication I have is that I am due to fly overseas on the 22nd so I would appreciate anyones opinions on whether this is achievable or whether I should be looking to postpone my trip?

Thanks.

Just found this thread and it is very informative but I am a little unclear on the necessary steps in order to complete my residency. I applied for residency in 2012, have now received the approval letter and on Monday I went to Chaeng Wattana and paid the fee (THB191,400) before being issued with a receipt. I am due to go on Thursday to collect the residency book, so I believe the steps required are as follows:

• Collect residency book and the letter for the local police station (This Thursday) .
  • Attend local police station with the letter to get the Alien residency book (I will try to go on Thursday).
  • Return to Chaeng Wattana with my passport, alien registration book and residency book for a Residence book endorsement and 1 year re-entry visa in my passport. (I am not sure if I have to register on a Tabian Baan before I can get the visa?)

The complication I have is that I am due to fly overseas on the 22nd so I would appreciate anyones opinions on whether this is achievable or whether I should be looking to postpone my trip?

Thanks.

Congratulations !

The above steps are correct and should be easily achievable in your time frame. If you get your red book this thursday, you can come back to get your endorsement and re-entry on Friday. No you don't need to do your Tabian Baan before.

Edited by THAIJAMES

Thanks.

Congratulations !

The above steps are correct and should be easily achievable in your time frame. If you get your red book this thursday, you can come back to get your endorsement and re-entry on Friday. No you don't need to do your Tabian Baan before.

Do we need to make copies of the Residence book, the alien book, passport and workpermit for getting the endorsement and Re Entry visa? I'll go and get them soon, just asking coz it's a pain to copy these over there in immigration

• Like 1

Thanks.

Congratulations !

Do we need to make copies of the Residence book, the alien book, passport and workpermit for getting the endorsement and Re Entry visa? I'll go and get them soon, just asking coz it's a pain to copy these over there in immigration

You don't need a copy of the work permit, but you will need a copy of everything else.

I am in Chiang Mai and they requested:

All pages of my passport that has stamps (you probably will not need all these in Bangkok, but to avoid hassles you may want to do it anyways)

All pages of the red book that has anything written or stamped

All pages of Blue residence certificate that has anything written or stamped

3 pictures (1 picture was used for a book that they keep records, 2 others are for the applications)

If you have a yellow book or blue tabien baan you may want to make a copy of that also. As they requested in CM, but should not be required.

Edited by THAIJAMES

Thanks.

Congratulations !

You don't need a copy of the work permit, but you will need a copy of everything else.

I am in Chiang Mai and they requested:

All pages of my passport that has stamps (you probably will not need all these in Bangkok, but to avoid hassles you may want to do it anyways)

All pages of the red book that has anything written or stamped

All pages of Blue residence certificate that has anything written or stamped

3 pictures (1 picture was used for a book that they keep records, 2 others are for the applications)

If you have a yellow book or blue tabien baan you may want to make a copy of that also. As they requested in CM, but should not be required.

I don't really understand why they love so much copies over here. So much paper clutter. When will they move in digital age? I don't understand what they do with that kind of paper loads

""I don't really understand why they love so much copies over here. So much paper clutter. When will they move in digital age? I don't understand what they do with that kind of paper loads ""

I know it's ridiculous considering that they already have (at least for me) many sets of copies of my passport etc.

Thais love paperwork

Actually, it should be simple pay for a sticker right there at the airport, finished. No need for paperwork. Just present your certificate of residence and passport.

There should be no need for a red book either, that is a dinosaur.

Edited by THAIJAMES

Well I got the Blue residency book and managed to fit in the visit to the police station this afternoon to apply for the Alien book which they said took 3 working days. First time in a Thai police station and the service and attitude was a pleasant surprise compared to what I was anticipating.

Thanks for your advice James and you were spot on that my travelling date is achievable.

• Like 1

""I don't really understand why they love so much copies over here. So much paper clutter. When will they move in digital age? I don't understand what they do with that kind of paper loads ""

I know it's ridiculous considering that they already have (at least for me) many sets of copies of my passport etc.

Thais love paperwork

Actually, it should be simple pay for a sticker right there at the airport, finished. No need for paperwork. Just present your certificate of residence and passport.

Today I went to get the endorsement and re entry. It was a pleasant surprise as no copies of any thing was demanded. Just needed to fill the forms for endorsement and re entry and needed 1 pic each for the form. All in All, it took around 2 hours to get it. 1 hour in the queue , and then 1 hour for it to be stamped.

• Like 1

Hi i would like to know if anybody has recently got his name entered into the blue thabian-baan in khet Wattana (or Vadhana?) district office at the botton of Soi Thonglor in Bangkok and how long did it take? I am asking because i applied there last week after getting the PR Blue book & police Red book. I was told that it involves a long interview, so the officer can handle only 2 applicants a day. I have been given an appointment (signed & stamped) for 5th of August.

Edited by saakura

Hi i would like to know if anybody has recently got his name entered into the blue thabian-baan in khet Wattana (or Vadhana?) district office at the botton of Soi Thonglor in Bangkok and how long did it take? I am asking because i applied there last week after getting the PR Blue book & police Red book. I was told that it involves a long interview, so the officer can handle only 2 applicants a day. I have been given an appointment (signed & stamped) for 5th of August.

I did but not that recently (about 3 years ago) - but yes it did take a while - and you need to bring along a Thai friend as well as a witness or someone who can vouch for you I think. You go into the office at the back on the right hand side. It wasn't anything too onerous, and my wife did most of the talking on my behalf (as she's Thai). But 5 August is quite a way off - maybe the boss is on holiday? ( I didn't notice anyone in that office when I was there on Monday applying for my Pink ID card)

Thais love paperwork

I totally agree. Thai government did move to the digital age, and everything is indeed in the computer. There is no need for all these books any more, I think they have just not gotten around to changing the law. The books were invented in the 1970s, I believe.

I did but not that recently (about 3 years ago) - but yes it did take a while - and you need to bring along a Thai friend as well as a witness or someone who can vouch for you I think. You go into the office at the back on the right hand side. It wasn't anything too onerous, and my wife did most of the talking on my behalf (as she's Thai). But 5 August is quite a way off - maybe the boss is on holiday? ( I didn't notice anyone in that office when I was there on Monday applying for my Pink ID card)

Thanks and yes, the day i went, there were just a few people there and hence my suspicion whether i needed to pass him an envelope with some baht in it.

Thanks and yes, the day i went, there were just a few people there and hence my suspicion whether i needed to pass him an envelope with some baht in it.

I have never paid anything for government services, unless I get an official receipt. People in Thailand, including government officials, do not go on vacation for four weeks. There may be another reason, you can politely ask.

Even if they handle only two applicants a day, they can't be booked out for a month!

• Like 1

Here is a copy of DOPA's Operation Manual that sets out the process. It's in Thai of course and it seems to be luck whether you get an efficient District Officer that follows the new manual with streamlined processes or an old dinosaur that behaves as if that district is his/her personal fiefdom and they have the discretion to grant or not to grant a document that you are required by law to have.

Operation Manual Registrations.pdf

There is also a hotline you can call at DOPA: http://www.dopa.go.th/

Thanks and yes, he was indeed behaving as if it was all in his hands. I will go talk to him again.

Hi i did got my name on blue tabien baan in khet wattana 2 weeks back

the office gven me appointment after 11 days ( 11th june.. got appointment for 22nd june) myself and thaijames collected resident certificate same day on 11th june

and went on 22nd June with 2 thai witness, officer she checked each and every thing

and got my name on thabien baan on 25th june... as the main officer has to sign and then the 13 digit code has to be generated

all takes a procees and besides that since 6th july the system of this got upgraded and it takes a time

but to tell you khet wattana is more efficient since most of residents which got cleared this year are from khet wattana

also after you get the name on thaiyen baan you can apply for your ID card.. for residents PINK ID card

Edited by manghnanip

Thanks Manghnanip, the information is very useful to me.

Hi Saakura

since you already got an appointment for 5th august

would suggest you following

what all documents they asked you to prepare , start preparing and go and show them

1 went on 11th june.. they given list to prepare documents.

12th june i gone they said.. this missing , prepare and come again

13th june i went they said all looks fine, but one place, name in thai was misspelled so have to get it corrected...

finally by 17th june all was ok

and then the officer took all the papers and said she will start the process... you can leave the papers...

and Interview lasted like 2 and half hours on 22nd june ( Because all papers were correct n perfect...)

for your information

Has anyone successfully gotten the pink card from Wattana District?

I applied this week and all went well - they said I'd have it by early next month (see my earlier posts - they said mine was application no.6 for the pink card at Wattana district office)

Thanks Manghnanip, the information is very useful to me.

Hi Saakura

since you already got an appointment for 5th august

would suggest you following

what all documents they asked you to prepare , start preparing and go and show them

1 went on 11th june.. they given list to prepare documents.

12th june i gone they said.. this missing , prepare and come again

13th june i went they said all looks fine, but one place, name in thai was misspelled so have to get it corrected...

finally by 17th june all was ok

and then the officer took all the papers and said she will start the process... you can leave the papers...

and Interview lasted like 2 and half hours on 22nd june ( Because all papers were correct n perfect...)

for your information

Thanks, i had already taken all my originals and he spotted that the thai spelling of my name in the work permit was not matching with the others. I have since got it corrected and waiting for the d-day.

Latest update. Today I got my name entered into the Blue Tambien Baan booklet. It took about 3 weeks from when I went to the local district office who then sent a letter to CW, CW responded and then they called me in to complete the process. Tons more paperwork to be signed but now that is complete.

Following up on the Thai Pink ID card I asked the local officer if I could get one. He said he had no power. My lawyer then called the Department of Labor who said he had the power to give it. They talked on the phone and then they said it's possible. I was passed on to another ampur official who grilled me in hardcore Thai about my background, parents, what I do, etc.. It was much harder than the PR language test. The local admin staff were somewhat impressed and smiled. The official told me they are happy to have me in their district but the process would take about of month as they needed to confirm procedures. I said OK and wai'ed them all. About an hour after I left I got a call to appear at the end of this week to get my picture taken and get my pink ID card.

Thanks for everyone on the forum who brought it up. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

I'll let you know how I make out.

• Like 1

Latest update. Today I got my name entered into the Blue Tambien Baan booklet. It took about 3 weeks from when I went to the local district office who then sent a letter to CW, CW responded and then they called me in to complete the process. Tons more paperwork to be signed but now that is complete.

Following up on the Thai Pink ID card I asked the local officer if I could get one. He said he had no power. My lawyer then called the Department of Labor who said he had the power to give it. They talked on the phone and then they said it's possible. I was passed on to another ampur official who grilled me in hardcore Thai about my background, parents, what I do, etc.. It was much harder than the PR language test. The local admin staff were somewhat impressed and smiled. The official told me they are happy to have me in their district but the process would take about of month as they needed to confirm procedures. I said OK and wai'ed them all. About an hour after I left I got a call to appear at the end of this week to get my picture taken and get my pink ID card.

Thanks for everyone on the forum who brought it up. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Had a much different experience at Prawet District Office, the lady in registration section was very effecient and helpful I turn up straight after getting my red book, she sat me down and collected all my paperwork and photos and I signed, all up 20mins.

this was last Tuesday and the Blue book was complete for me to collect yesterday

She knew all about the pink ID card and had one just arrive back for another PR holder.

Yesterday completed the paperwork, had photo taken thumb prints taken and a receipt showing both for the ID card. It will be ready for collection on 28/8

very efficient. seems some district office have differing attitudes and knowledge re the ID Cards

Good to hear they agreed to issue the pink ID card. In fact, they have no power to refuse it!

In this thread (post #9) you'll find the documents that show that the ampur has to issue it (in fact, it has that new PR holders have to apply for it): http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-resident

Please feel free to report in that thread when you have received it.

Has anyone successfully gotten the pink card from Wattana District?

Hi i got the name entered on Thabiyan Baan on 25th June

30 june went again to Khet wattana, with Passport copy, Work Permit Copy, Aliien book copy, Certificate of Residence ( blue book) copy, and Thabiyan baan copy, they taken photo

normally it takes 1 month , ( for permanent resident holders the whole paper set goes to Ministry of Interior and the card is issued from their and sent back to respective Khet)

thats why the time is one month or sometimes 30 - 40 days

when they take out photo, the letter they give with photo and finger prints, on that paper date is mentioned to collected the Pink Card from Khet.

• Like 1

I went back to the local ampur office today to finalize the pink ID paperwork. Apparently, I was the first one ever in the ampur to go through this process so other staff stopped their work and the head boss came out to observe. I had my fingerprints electronically scanned, had mug shot taken, answered questions (blood type, religious affiliation, occupation, etc). When I was getting the mug shot which is against a wall with a tape measure people came up to take their picture with me cause I was the first one ever. Once all was done I paid the 60 THB fee and handed the receipt to come back when they call me to pick up the ID card.

They said it would take about a month for them to receive it.

All in all an interesting experience.

• Like 1

I went back to the local ampur office today to finalize the pink ID paperwork. Apparently, I was the first one ever in the ampur to go through this process so other staff stopped their work and the head boss came out to observe. I had my fingerprints electronically scanned, had mug shot taken, answered questions (blood type, religious affiliation, occupation, etc). When I was getting the mug shot which is against a wall with a tape measure people came up to take their picture with me cause I was the first one ever. Once all was done I paid the 60 THB fee and handed the receipt to come back when they call me to pick up the ID card.

They said it would take about a month for them to receive it.

All in all an interesting experience.

Interesting. What does the receipt say these THB 60 are for?