Is there a limit of one exempt entry (not back to back)

First person is Canadian, first visit will be for six days, entry at BKK (flight)

Second entry about a week later by land at poipet/aranyapatet , for about three weeks.

Have flight ticket to Cambodia , which I will be discarding, I purchased it for satisfying the airline for the first trip. Also covers second entry if I say I am going in for just a few days, as it is a few days later , not three weeks later.

I have a series of annual visas for Cambodia in my passport, and a history of a couple of visa exempt visits to Thailand each year, averaging ten days, no overstays. I will have printouts showing prepaid hotels.

I also may wish to come to Thailand earlier, either to visit my embassy for consular reasons, or for holiday, or medical reasons , but am afraid to do so.

I am nowhere near the Thai embassy in Cambodia, and prefer not to send my passport off for a few days to get a visa, as I could need it instantaneously to travel for emergency medical care .

Thanks

There is not going to be a limit on the number of entries you can do over a period of time.

They will be looking for out/in entries. Which means staying here the full 15 or 30 days then leaving and immediately returning to get another entry.

What you plan on doing will not be a problem.

Edit :To answer your question in the topic I closed.

As a Canadian (G7 country) you will get a 30 day entry by land or air.

I just have a couple here from the UK. That what one would call a "normal" tourist.
They were here on holiday beginning of May for 3 weeks, then went back home.
Now they are here for an other three weeks. All pre-booked including return flights.
They just been told at Suvarnabhumi [21/07/2014] that they can NOT enter a third
time on "visa exempt" this year.

I just have a couple here from the UK. That what one would call a "normal" tourist.

Now they are here for an other three weeks. All pre-booked including return flights.

They just been told at Suvarnabhumi [21/07/2014] that they can NOT enter a third

This I find slightly worrying, I was under the impression there was no issue with genuine tourists.

I wonder if it's something mandated or just one particular immigration officer having a bad day.

This I find slightly worrying, I was under the impression there was no issue with genuine tourists.

I wonder if it's something mandated or just one particular immigration officer having a bad day.

They should get a genuine tourist visa. That's all.

~

Edited by 'nuff said

In the south of Thailand, some immigration officers seemingly do not correctly understand the concept of out-in. Example here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/744349-I've-just-gone-through-immigration-at-swampy-28/28#entry8164717

It may be advisable to avoid entries in that region until the immigration officers are properly trained on this subject.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just a comment from an immigration officer stating something that is not the policy of immigration from everything I have seen.

In reality an entry would not be denied to somebody with the history mentioned.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe, is there anything in print, even in Thai, that we can use when faced with a border officer or his superior having a bad day?

So much of this seems to be done on a whim, out of thin air, due to a long expired policy or rule.

It is not always possible to get every single duck in a row even for tourists for a variety of reasons, sure ideally one plans

The trip well in advance, has a formal visa, return flight ticket, is on only ones first or second lifetime trip to Thailand, has prepaid hotels, etc but for most posters on this board and perhaps a hundred thousand other people , this is not possible, we do not live nor work in Thailand , live and work and pay taxes elsewhere, but visit fairly frequently.

You seem to be really on top of things, do you have contacts with the bureacracy? Can you get anything in writing about number of entries to Thailand per year, number of days in Thailand per year, whether ticket out by plane and or other means always required, whether formal visa or visa exempt etc.? I realize they want to keep discretion to keep undesirables out , undesirability being determined at time of entry based on nationality, skin color, demeanor, dress, passport stamps, hotel and plane reservations etc but they need to take into account that we need to plan our lives, do not wish to travel half way around the world to be told no sorry.

Our group may account for only ten percent of tourist entries, but likely more that ten percent of tourist nights and tourist spend. Just as importantly, we are important as we set the view of Thailand internationally, influence the other ninety percent if it appears that thai officials are arbitrary and capricious and sometimes even ignorant. Like it or not, Thailand, we are your ambassadors, and a tourist industry that took fifty years to build up can easily be cut in half in a year or two. And trade is affected by tourism as well.

Realizes joe, that you may not be the guy in charge of this part of the universe , but wish you were, so thank you and keep up the great work

• Like 1

confronting a thai official with the "RULES" written in thai is not a good idea, u do not want him to lose face,

as always entry is up to the discretion of the official,'

dress nice, smile and plead

i really wonder about these guys that travel with dreadlocks and bob Marley tee shirts thru immigration. facepalm.gif

I have seen this from immigration.

The alien must not enter the Kingdom by exploiting 30-day visa exemptions undertaking method “in-out” or called by foreigners as “Visa run”. Aliens use the advantage of Tourist Visa Exemption by leaving Thailand and returning immediately for the purpose of extending their stay, which is considered from the tourism point of view to be longer than necessary and not in line with the purpose permitted while entering country.

confronting a thai official with the "RULES" written in thai is not a good idea, u do not want him to lose face,

as always entry is up to the discretion of the official,'

dress nice, smile and plead

i really wonder about these guys that travel with dreadlocks and bob Marley tee shirts thru immigration. facepalm.gif

I disagree, but it depends HOW you state your case. For the record, I'm fluent in Thai. Early last year I went to Myawady from Mae Sot for business, two days in a row (January 2013). Why? Because of the ridiculous Myanmar immigration rules at the time that didn't allow foreigners (including Thais) to stay overnight in Myawady. When I returned to Thailand I always got 15 day visa exempt entries. The officer tried to explain to me that I could only re-enter 3 times, or basically get 4 visa exempt entries in a row. Although I was only on my third re-entry I explained that I wasn't a visa runner (indeed why would someone exit Thailand the very next day if they get a 15 day exemption) but I was doing business in Myawady and really wanted to spend a few days there but due to Myanmar immigration restrictions I couldn't. In fact I was trying to find a way of getting over the mountain to Hpa-an before the Myanmar government finally opened up that crossing on Aug 28, 2013. Showing up with a Myanmar visa starting in October when the rules finally changed allowing overland travel, I was no longer given the run around but of course by then I was also in Thailand on a non-B (which I had first used when entering at Mae Sot coming from Yangon). Therefore I think if you stand your ground, but are polite you have every right to state the rules. Just don't lose it, but I'd much rather stand my ground than getting refused just because of a "loss of face". I don't think that comes into it. If you are indeed right, then the officer will probably back down, or refer to their superiors if it seems like they have made a mistake.