Non-Immigrant "O" visa?

Hey Folks,

I'm an American safety inspector (male, 36) who spends the majority of my time working in the Middle East and Africa. My current job is coming to closure and I will be returning back to Thailand (having spent extended ED visas and tourist visa stays there since 2005) to stay with my wife (Thai) and 2 young daughters (1, 2 yrs -dual citizen).

Since I'm not sure how long before my next work assignment and my age (below 50), I'm guessing a Non-Immigrant "O" visa is the proper way to go about it.

Is this a proper assumption?

I will have to return on a standard 30 day tourist visa to collect the marriage documents and proceed to the Thai embassy in Phom Pehn or Hanoi to get it, yes?

Thanks much.

Yes, a non-O visa is the way to go.

If you will arrive on a visa exempt entry, you could apply for a conversion at BKK-immigration if you can show an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand. For the conversion it is required that you show that the money in the bank came from abroad.

Income can be from abroad, in which case you need an affidavit from the US- embassy.

You will need to go to Savannakhet Laos to get your multiple entry non-o visa. It is the only consistently confirmed nearby location to get it.

You will just need your marriage certificate (plus a copy), signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card. They don't ask for financial proof.

At the moment they are doing the visa on the same date you apply there.

Edit: The extension of stay is an option only if you can be sure you will be here for at least 90 days to get it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You will need to go to Savannakhet Laos to get your multiple entry non-o visa. It is the only consistently confirmed nearby location to get it.

You will just need your marriage certificate (plus a copy), signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card. They don't ask for financial proof.

Edit: The extension of stay is an option only if you can be sure you will be here for at least 90 days to get it.

"It is the only consistently confirmed nearby location to get it.

You will just need your marriage certificate"

Ubon can post a global list of consistently confirmed consulates/embassys that issues muti entry O ?

Thanks for everyone's post.

So, Laos is the best bet? I went there a few years ago for the ED Visa, miserable experience along with being fortunate enough to find the filthiest Dengue ridden mosquito in of Laos.

The Thai/US embassy shows marriage/birth certificate for the "O". Nothing about a property book or the sort. I am a bit confused about the money portion. I have a few retired American friends who do not have to show financial proof in a thai account; they only swear and affidavit at the Embassy on wireless and use that for all visa transactions. Will that work in this case as well?

I'm not worried about the money, I'd just rather not open an account and deal with later declaring it to the IRS for 400,000B.

Thanks again for your time.

So, Laos is the best bet? I went there a few years ago for the ED Visa, miserable experience along with being fortunate enough to find the filthiest Dengue ridden mosquito in of Laos.

The Thai/US embassy shows marriage/birth certificate for the "O". Nothing about a property book or the sort. I am a bit confused about the money portion. I have a few retired American friends who do not have to show financial proof in a thai account; they only swear and affidavit at the Embassy on wireless and use that for all visa transactions. Will that work in this case as well?

I'm not worried about the money, I'd just rather not open an account and deal with later declaring it to the IRS for 400,000B.

What (some) people is telling you is that you don't need to leave Thailand unless you want.

First, you obtain a 60 days extension at immigration with just marriage certificate, birth certificate, Thai ID copies.

Since then you have more time to prepare the more extensive documentation (pictures, tambien baan, affidavit, whatever else your local office wants) to get the one year extensions.

The reason people goes for the multi-entry non-O is to not have to deal with the second part of the above.

Thanks again for your time.

The financials mentioned are for getting a one year extension of stay not the visa. If you go for the extension and use the 40k baht income option you can use an income affidavit.

I gave you what is required at Savannakhet. Your wife certainly has a house book (tambien ban) registry every Thai has to be registered in one. It might still be for her parents home.

Not sure where you were in Laos but it sounds like things have improved since you were there., Savannakhet is located across the river from Mukdahan.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"It is the only consistently confirmed nearby location to get it.

You will just need your marriage certificate"

Ubon can post a global list of consistently confirmed consulates/embassys that issues muti entry O ?

The only nearby location is Savannakhet all others are a maybe and all will ask to see financial proof if they decide to do it.

What is the question about the snipped part of my post about the marriage certificate. You will need the original and copies.

Yes, a non-O visa is the way to go.

If you will arrive on a visa exempt entry, you could apply for a conversion at BKK-immigration if you can show an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand. For the conversion it is required that you show that the money in the bank came from abroad.

Income can be from abroad, in which case you need an affidavit from the US- embassy.

mario2008-

So, I can convert it at Suvarnbhumi at arrival?