Dental work cheaper than in Thailand?

JSixpack

Read some posts that it is, but looking online at dentists in Cambodia and reading reviews, it seems not. Read one recommendation for Vietnam as cheapest. I mean, for quality work only, not a back alley operation.

The Philippines was always rated amongst the best & the cheapest in the world for dental work..... & I think still is.

Filipino Dentists must earn a total of 6 years of dental school (2 years preparatory; 4 years proper) to obtain the degree Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.).

Presently, the country has a total of 25 dental schools, in which the board licensing is administered and regulated by the Board of Dentistry of the Professional Regulation Commission. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dentistry_throughout_the_world

Yesterday I went to the Dentist in Ari..... Got my teeth Blue lasered, which basically whitens them to the original colour, or as near as.

Big big difference , a lot whiter.

Anyway, it cost 2,800 baht.... Which is mega cheap, compared to the UK or the USA....

Dental work is very good and very cheap in Cambodia as long as you go to the right clinics. I know a Danish guy who saved over 20,000 Euro on major dental surgery; he checked out pricing in Thailand, Vietnam, etc. and concluded Cambodia was the place to go.

My own experiences with dentists here (in Siem Reap) have been excellent and I can't imagine finding anything cheaper anywhere that's cheaper.

Philippine dental degrees not acceptable in Hong Kong when I worked there. Candidates had to sit an exam with practical tests. many were woeful.

Nor HK dental/medical degrees in the US. IMO many a HK dentist/medical practitioner would not pass the US/Canada exams either.

Dental work is very good and very cheap in Cambodia as long as you go to the right clinics. I know a Danish guy who saved over 20,000 Euro on major dental surgery; he checked out pricing in Thailand, Vietnam, etc. and concluded Cambodia was the place to go.

My own experiences with dentists here (in Siem Reap) have been excellent and I can't imagine finding anything cheaper anywhere that's cheaper.

Theres a new zealander / or aussie dentist connected with theinternational university penom pen and has a network of high quality dentists. send an email to them.

Been looking for a good one in Siem Reap who do you recommend?

Yesterday I went to the Dentist in Ari..... Got my teeth Blue lasered, which basically whitens them to the original colour, or as near as.

Big big difference , a lot whiter.

Anyway, it cost 2,800 baht.... Which is mega cheap, compared to the UK or the USA....

Then your teeth might be sensitive forever, the dentist didn't tell you about the risks ?

I can't say as to comparison with VN or phillippines but definitely less expensive than Thailand and provided you stick to good reputable places quality is fine. The larger dental hospitals in PP have western trained staff anf offer complete range of services inc. Implants, cosmetic etc.

check out webdite for Roomchang dental hospital.

I doubt it would be cheaper to pay the travel to somewhere else to get good dental work done.

2 fillings replaced for 600 Baht

1 cap for 12,000 baht

1 gold crown for 15,000 baht in Phuket when I was stupid.

It would be cheaper to travel to Cambodia; 4 x wisdom teeth extraction, 2 x root canal, 2 x crowns, 2 x x-rays, 2 x scale and polish, 4 x fillings = 14,000 THB (there were two of us at the dentist - and I'm not ashamed to say that my partner needed most of the work, though my wallet paid for all of it).

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dental bridge made in Siem Reap for $300 plus root canal for $25 by good dentist opp. Fred Hollows Eye Hospital.(Root canal cost $250 in Thailand). But the dentist first took only impression of the upper teeth and made a cheap bridge that I think he makes fpr tourists in a hurry, after he made the temporay, then, I made him take another impression for whole occlusion and he made a better quality ceramic bridge but spent 3 hours adjusting my bite...then the pin became loose... But it looks good and only aches when it rains and cost $100 a tooth. In Australia it would start at $1,000 for the root canal...I think he bought his wife an anniversary gift with the $300 and made the first bridge himself...totally took 2 weeks and a lot of angst but now OK...he also said something about having a twin...one way round the one child policy in China.

• 4 months later...

I've visited the same dentist in Bangkok many times over the years and have always been more than happy with the work and of course the cost. Never had work done in Cambodia but after having seen the result a friend of mind ended up with after she had major work done in Phonm Penh, I'd run a mile before letting them touch my teeth. She has suffered all sorts of problems including recurring infections since having the implants and now has to go through the pain of having them all removed and now understands why I suggested she get herself a set of plastic choppers in the first place.

• 1 month later...

I can't say as to comparison with VN or phillippines but definitely less expensive than Thailand and provided you stick to good reputable places quality is fine. The larger dental hospitals in PP have western trained staff anf offer complete range of services inc. Implants, cosmetic etc.

check out webdite for Roomchang dental hospital.

My experience with Roomchang;

food broke off a prior bkk chipped tooth repair. small chip nothing urgent

i used roomchang website to request a quote per their own wording. included was a photo of actual chip.

no reply (thai style)

out of curiosity on a subsequent day i went there. they occupy some floors of a new building

have very plush white leather sofas that are uncomfortable because the back rest is far from where normal support should be.

there is an illy coffee machine

reception staff are efficient in giving you the papers to complete and want to take your photo.

it turns out the price is actually more expensive then my very good female dentist (Smile) in bangkok that repaired the same chip before.

upon inspection the dentist at roomchang quickly told me she should also clean my teeth but failed to note a very obvious second pre-existent tooth defect where a filling fell out.

while i dont doubt they are competent it didn't seem justified to pay more than in bkk. the amenities and decoration to me mean less than the quality of work.

ended up 2 blocks from my hotel had an english speaking dentist that was very professional, thorough and produced an excellent result. the office was clean and organized but no leather sofas or high end coffee. less than 1/2 the price at the fancy dentist. he used high quality composite from japan. not a word about wanting to do a cleaning but focused on the acute problem for which i went there.

• 4 months later...

Yes, it could be cheaper in Cambodia or in some countries nearby but I think Thailand is one of the most common go-to place when it comes to dental holidays. I've been to Thantakit Dental in Bangkok twice and was very satisfied with my filling and root canal treatment. Generally, the prices in Thailand are very much cheaper compared to US, AUS or UK rates of course.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wanna add that if you choose Cambodia, better pick the most reputable dental place in the city. Research is the key! Best of luck!

Yes! 200 illegal dental clinics were shut down in the first 6 months of this year in PP alone! In the whole country, more than 350! There was a big crackdown on this after about 70 people in PP were infected with HIV from fake dentists not sterilizing equipment.

Archived