Snake catcher stick - where to buy in Phuket?

simon43

I can buy a professional snake catcher stick from the USA, (http://www.snakecatchersticks.com/), but I wonder if they sell these locally.

At my home in the rubber trees, I see snakes on an almost-daily basis. These include green snakes, cobras, rat snakes and spotted coral snakes.

Up till now, these animals have had their heads chopped off when found in our hotel garden....

I'm not Buddhist, but I really do not want to kill an animal that is doing no harm, but I want to avoid accidents when guests maybe step on a King Cobra! I would prefer to capture the snake alive and release them some distance away, (at my competitor's hotel ha-ha!!).

I'm not about to take on a python or aggressive cobra - I will call 1669 to deal with them. But since snakes are so numerous here, I can't call 1669 every time and I don't want to kill the snakes. So using a professional catcher stick seems the best way to deal with the non-venomous snakes.

Any ideas if I can buy one locally? I could make a 'Y' stick, but the aluminium sticks with adjustable jaw are far more practical, - they can maybe also be used to capture unruly kids.... :)

I guess I could joke that they are next to the Selfie sticks !

but really is there a local snake guy that you could call ? or would he only catch and kill ?

I agree killing for no reason is not the way to go , are there traps to catch and release out in the wild ?

BKKdreaming - I would be calling him every day...

All I need to do is to safely (for me!), catch the snake, bag it, drive further into the trees and release it (with a warning not to return).

If the snake is a krait or large cobra, then for sure I will call for help (we kill the small cobras here quite regularly).

The catching stick on that US website looks just the thing to safely catch the snake without harming it. I will have to check if they ship to Thailand.

KarenBravo, yes that is one solution, but which requires you to get the loop over it's head. An adjustable Y stick or clamping jaws is more practical, especially if it is as large rat snake that moves quickly.

I have been looking for one to,the last 6months I have had 2 chain vipers in our garden,these are one of the most dangerous snakes of Thailand slow but deadly.our dog found the last one down in a gap between our boundry wall and the turf,it was the birds that warned us in the first place,i cant help thinking what would have happened to my beloved if I hadn't been there to give it its final rites.

The postage cost to send that US snake stick to Thailand is about $59 - the stick costs about $55..

However, I am well-used to paying more in postage costs than the item cost (I buy radio ham equipment from the US).

I might 'invest' in this professional stick - will check local options again first.

KarenBravo, a net will restrict the snake, but then you still have to secure it fully - the snake stick really seems to be the safest (for me) and most humane (for the snake) method.

Edited by simon43

Simon I too would be interested in a snake stick let us know if you find one locally. thumbsup.gif

I have been using a stick about 11/2 meter long with a hook screwed in the end to pick up snakes and usually hurl them over the wall into the jungle the other side. whistling.gif

If you hook the snake near it's center of balance, usually a point between the middle of it's length and it's head it will usually stay on the hook long enough to quickly move it somewhere else.

biggrin.png

(your mileage may vary depending on local

circumstances)

The postage cost to send that US snake stick to Thailand is about $59 - the stick costs about $55..

However, I am well-used to paying more in postage costs than the item cost (I buy radio ham equipment from the US).

I might 'invest' in this professional stick - will check local options again first.

KarenBravo, a net will restrict the snake, but then you still have to secure it fully - the snake stick really seems to be the safest (for me) and most humane (for the snake) method.

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy mrs.44 a good strong,thick pair of builders gloves and a pair of welly'sw00t.gif

I used to make sticks for a snake magazine's owner who sold them through his mag.

He used (and sold) the ones on the bottom of that page. The one called a hook.
We used golf club handles and bent stainless steel and fastened them together.
I would think you could make one here fairly easy.

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy mrs.44 a good strong,thick pair of builders gloves and a pair of welly'sw00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Since I would first have to find a Mrs 43, marry her and pay sinsot etc, I don't think it would work out that cheap... cheesy.gif

A far more satisfying suggestion is to order the ex-Mrs.43 (both of them) to catch the cobras without any gloves or wellies....

About 2 years ago the shop that repairs TV's and sells washing machine

parts at the end of the basement section of big C had them

About a metre long with jaws on one end and the opening mechanism on

the other end, I would have bought one if it had been longer

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy mrs.44 a good strong,thick pair of builders gloves and a pair of welly'sw00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Since I would first have to find a Mrs 43, marry her and pay sinsot etc, I don't think it would work out that cheap... cheesy.gif

A far more satisfying suggestion is to order the ex-Mrs.43 (both of them) to catch the cobras without any gloves or wellies....

sorry S.43 I always assume to much,it sounds like they have already had their fangs into you,hope the bite was not as bad has the hiss.some of these thai snakes need watching with care.

be carefull.meatboy.