New York Times calls for legalization of marijuana across US

webfact

I think that some people think that legalizing pot is somehow advocating its use.   

I used pot when I was younger, but it never really agreed with me.   It made me quite paranoid.   As an adult I tried it occasionally, but it had the same affect.   

On a trip to Amsterdam, I also tried it.   It was legal there, but I still got paranoid.   

I am assuming that I would still get paranoid.   So I'll probably pass on the doobie when it comes my way, legal or not.   

It does advocate its use, but just among those that perhaps would not otherwise partake except due to its legality. Does that mean everyone will get stoned now, of course not. Our youth needs access to cheaper education, positive role models and many other things in life than access to legal dope.

I think that some people think that legalizing pot is somehow advocating its use.   

I used pot when I was younger, but it never really agreed with me.   It made me quite paranoid.   As an adult I tried it occasionally, but it had the same affect.   

On a trip to Amsterdam, I also tried it.   It was legal there, but I still got paranoid.   

I am assuming that I would still get paranoid.   So I'll probably pass on the doobie when it comes my way, legal or not.   

It does advocate its use, but just among those that perhaps would not otherwise partake except due to its legality. Does that mean everyone will get stoned now, of course not. Our youth needs access to cheaper education, positive role models and many other things in life than access to legal dope.

but surely legal dope has got to be better quality than some of the shit you get now, probably cheaper too, no point perpetuating a taboo myth on the subject, it's a herb fer crying out loud    ..perhaps you're just holding it wrong?

The police want to decriminalize it at minimum, the majority of the population feel the same way.
The only people that are against it are the politicians as they are too scared to be labelled "soft on drugs".

Regular police, yes. DEA? Nope. It is not in their interest to legalize MJ.
You should see some of thevdeos on Congressional hearings on this when DEA officials are pressed on MJ.
"It should stay illegal because it is dangerous."
"Is it more dangerous than Heroin? All drugs are dangerous"
blablabla...

Nearly half of people incarcerated for drugs are MJ related. A lot of prisons are privately run. Do you think they are interested in less customers?
No.
There are too many lobbies who are opposed to legalization, besides the groups opposed to drugs for ethical/religious reasons.

If California and NY manage to legalize recreational use for over 21s, it will be a watershed moment, but resistance will increase significantly.

In a 2011 interview, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that legalization is “not likely to work” because “there is just too much money in it.” Clinton was talking about cartels, but the same holds true for the legal industries that owe their profit margins, market shares, and—in some cases—very existence to the war on drugs. Here are four industries you might not realize profit off the drug war.

1.) The Drug Testing Industry

2.) The Alcohol Industry

3.) The Private Prison Industry

3.) The Addiction Recovery Industry

http://reason.com/archives/2012/04/22/4-industries-getting-rich-off-the-drug-w/

Just to
  • Like 1

I always thought Thai stick was dipped in something so perhaps it wasn't really that great of a strain in its natural state.

You are entirely correct. I know someone who sold it in bulk in Thailand, way back when. It was dipped in liquid opium, which is what made it so very good

37099__psychedelic-faces_t.jpg Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

One side effect of legalising marijuana will be to stop making our kids into criminals.

• Like 2

One side effect of legalising marijuana will be to stop making our kids into criminals.

Oh, it's not just the kids.    Plenty of parents have been criminals because of this.  

I once cared for a kid who had turned his parents in for growing and smoking pot.   That ended up in quite a family circus.    As I recall the whole thing blew up when the kid got caught stealing his dad and mom's stash and they grounded him.   In retaliation, he called the police.  

• 2 weeks later...
They are going to make Eric Holder lose sleep. One of the true travesties of his tenure, and the Obama legacy, is the vigor with which they have pursued growers. At a time when state legalization is getting more and more public support, these clowns have been spending billions, going after and locking up people for pot related offenses. Shame on them. Have they learned nothing? What amateurs.