Spanish man arrested for 'ATM skimming' in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell these criminals work always for a gang? If i would to commit such a crime, i would work alone.

Easy. The people doing the dirty work are skint and can't afford the expensive skimming equipment, and are willing to do the dirty work for a flat payment. 

The people who own the skimming equipment know that if they get someone else to do the dirty work, they can somewhat insulate themselves from capture. 

Definitely good that he was arrested; however, wouldn't the next logical step be to arrange a sting operation and have him meet with his "Romanian gang" associates and thereby arrest more of the people involved?  

I agree - not rocket science is it? I wonder about the commitment to reduce crime. Perhaps The General should be alerted to the "efficiency" of his police? 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This picture is a fake.  There are only 3 police in it, and not the normal dozen or so.

A vast jump of conclusion.......

SouthernMan3 you need to get a sense of humour. The original comment was one o0f cynicism. Cannot believe you fell for that comment

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This picture is a fake.  There are only 3 police in it, and not the normal dozen or so.

A vast jump of conclusion.......

SouthernMan3 you need to get a sense of humour. The original comment was one o0f cynicism. Cannot believe you fell for that comment

I have a sense of humor in regards to things that are funny.

Guess I'm just into what's real.

I live here.

These things actually make a difference to me.

When you make a 'falang joke' like this, it makes us all look like we don't care wai.gif

Do you think the 'powers that be' read TV ?

• Like 1

Definitely good that he was arrested; however, wouldn't the next logical step be to arrange a sting operation and have him meet with his "Romanian gang" associates and thereby arrest more of the people involved?  

That would be far too logical and make too much sense for the Thai police to do.  Much easier to simply arrest the guy that they found and pose for a picture with him.  The "Romanian gang" can then go on doing business the same as before with someone else. biggrin.png

Six years in jail or 100,000 baht fine is far too light for this thieving scumbag. 

Money is nothing more than a number on a computer.. the only thief is the bank.

Tell that to the people who had money debited from their accounts.  The bank won't take the loss ... not in Thailand!

Nigel Farage's

Thanks to the EU's free movement policy my home country has been invaded by East European criminals from Romania and Bulgaria
Even in the sleepy part of the country from which I emanate shoplifting in groups of 4 or 5 has become endemic
The problem is that no political party is ruthless on law and order. The country is just sleep walking into becoming a totally crime ridden hell hole trapped between militant Islamists and imported European felons
The indigenous criminal fraternity are heartily fed up with all these aliens stealing their thunder
Hopefully the authorities in Thailand will keep us safe from the same lawlessness but I have my doubts

You can't write like this in Finland anymore or you are labeled inhuman racist and whatnot.

Same in UK....Nigel Farage ( euro MP) was called racist for saying that he wouldn't want to live next door to  a Romanian ! ...Back to this story...another sad case of a farang willing to do anything to stay in the 'village of love'. Zero sympathy for him, he deserves all he gets, I also hope they don't let him have KY !

What I found strange is why those people are chosing Thailand....In Europe and the US any ATM machines probably hold a lot more money than here to get in a single withdraw....May the Thailand's ATM be easier to skimm?

Yes agreed, the ATM security must be more vulnerable becuase this is quite a frequently reported crime in Thailand.  Either that or there isn't as much CCTV!?!

Few ATM cards here have micro-chips?

Agree completely!  Somebody has to use at least a screwdriver and some time to install the scanner to the ATM.  I know that by far the vast majority of ATM's in the U.S. have a camera focused on the ATM.  More CCTV would surely help a lot!

What I found strange is why those people are chosing Thailand....In Europe and the US any ATM machines probably hold a lot more money than here to get in a single withdraw....May the Thailand's ATM be easier to skimm?

Yes agreed, the ATM security must be more vulnerable becuase this is quite a frequently reported crime in Thailand.  Either that or there isn't as much CCTV!?!

@umbanda: the reason for a high level of ATM fraud in Thailand is primarily that most banks not use Mikrochips in their ATM cards yet. (I think only Bankok bank does) So fraud is very easy. You copy the details from the magnetic stripe and either record the pin code through a camera or a fake keyboard and you are all set to empty bank accounts.

Most European countries and other Asian countries have introduced Mikrochips a while back and have also implemented other physical deterrents at the ATM to minimise fraud.

Stolen tens of millions of baht, fine 100,000 bht ? This scumbag should have his hands removed and his eyes gouged out to make sure he never does it again, because he will, you know !

Are you an enforcer of one of the religion's laws?...Albeit, not all here belonged to your religion...wai.gif

I always wonder how stupid people can be. For 15,000 baht risking a 6 years in jail verdict and 100.000 baht fine. Not even a million dollars is worth that risk.

I also dont understand why people practice these kind of things anyway. Get a job and earn your money the right way. Keep your fingers from anybody elses money, property, possessions etc.  They are all Sicko's and to me with 6 years he gets away with it cheap. They should increase those punishments and keep the scum of the road.

• Like 1

Most western countries do not depend on old magnetic stripe technology as most Thailand ATM's do.  Most often the card data is skimmed overseas and Thailand is used for withdrawals.

Thailand is an ideal country for withdrawals, it has a lot of ATM machines and very little surveillance.  You have to be a moron to get caught in Thailand, but of course these gangs use moronic individuals to do the front line work where the real criminals never get caught.

If Thailand stopped using 1970's ATM technology there would be a lot less ATM fraud in Thailand.

• Like 1

Six years in jail or 100,000 baht fine is far too light for this thieving scumbag. 

well 6 years.....even 1 year in a thai jail, for sure he will remember that asiatic exotic partytime2.gif experience...especially at this age where desease,health can be a problem too in those fullbody carcelation conditions..!sad.png

Logic and Thai police doesn,t seem to work together unfortunately-but well done to them for apprehending this scumbag thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Like it said , "numerous ATM machines" I never use them at all anymore "NEVER" I've been scammed a couple times in the past, now I go directly into a bank, and do all my withdrawals on my ATM. The girl in the bank knows why I do, and she even says ATM machines are not safe.

Just a word of advice !wai2.gif