bangkok bank checking passport numbers

The last couple of weeks Bangkok Bank has started to compare my current passport number with the number I had when I opened my account.

I opened that account a long time ago and I have changed passport several times (usually because I had run out of pages).

When the bank person discovers that the passport numbers don't match she starts to look confused and make phone calls. I speak some Thai and try to explain that the numbers don't match because I have had to change passports, but that doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone know what it is all about ? It seems pointless to compare passport numbers.

• Like 1

For a foreigner your passport (and its specific number) is an all important document in Thailand. When your passport number changes, like when you get your passport renewed, you are suppose to notify the bank and also get a new passbook (no charge) because Bangkok Bank puts your passport number and your signature on the very last page of the passbook which can only be seen under their black light. Not sure if other banks do the same but I expect many of them do. When doing certain financial transactions they will verify that last page in your passbook under their black light (which then shows the passport number and signature) with your current passport signature and number...if the numbers and signatures don't match expect problems in completing the transaction. In my experience over the years in doing transactions at Bangkok Bank this passport number/signature comparison has been common.

SCB do the same - caused me issues when I opened a particular extra account at a different branch with a different passport as somehow my main branch then froze my internet banking w00t.gif until I sorted it out with them.

For a foreigner your passport (and its specific number) is an all important document in Thailand. When your passport number changes, like when you get your passport renewed, you are suppose to notify the bank and also get a new passbook (no charge) because Bangkok Bank puts your passport number and your signature on the very last page of the passbook which can only be seen under their black light. Not sure if other banks do the same but I expect many of them do. When doing certain financial transactions they will verify that last page in your passbook under their black light (which then shows the passport number and signature) with your current passport signature and number...if the numbers and signatures don't match expect problems in completing the transaction. In my experience over the years in doing transactions at Bangkok Bank this passport number/signature comparison has been common.

SCB do the same - caused me issues when I opened a particular extra account at a different branch with a different passport as somehow my main branch then froze my internet banking w00t.gif until I sorted it out with them.

Similar thing happened to me...that is, I had an internet banking problem due to a passport renewal/number change. I have several Bangkok Bank savings accounts at different branches and had to go to each branch to update my passport number with them and get a new passbook....couldn't do this at just one Bangkok Bank branch as I had to visit the branch that issued the passbook/account. One branch made a passport number typo in their database system during the update which prevented me from doing certain ibanking transactions. And then I had to work the problem with the Bangkok Bank Call Center ibanking support. Took around 10 days for the problem to be resolved because of a branch representative making a typo in the ibanking system/database.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

You supposed to notify them of ANY changes!

Passport, address, tel number, email address etc.

Just go into any branch and update your details, it takes 5 minutes.

It doesn't work that way with Bangkok Bank. When I changed my passport and tried to withdraw money from a branch other than mine they wouldn't process the transaction since my new passport number did not match the one on record. They wouldn't update the info and I had to go into the issuing branch to change the info. You have to get a new bankbook and it only took the clerk three times to get the info right, and if it's a joint account, guess what both owners of the account must go So going into any branch doesn't work!

• Like 2

Learn something everyday, new Brit passport due soon, courtesy of Trendy. Have 3 accounts with BKB. There again you can continue to draw money via an ATM with a BE1st card?.

Edited by phutoie2

One of my accounts is a special foreign currency account that you must have to have funds directly deposited by the US Social Security Administration. No ATM or internet allowed, only withdrawals in person, so no choice but to change the info.

Learn something everyday, new Brit passport due soon, courtesy of Trendy. Have 3 accounts with BKB. There again you can continue to draw money via an ATM with a BE1st card?.

Yes you can continue to use your debit card. The different passport number issue only causes a problem when doing some bank transaction which requires comparison of your current passport to the one on file in the banking system. Now I do not know if the banking system also tracks/utilizes the passport expiration date and possibly cause issues if their system detects the passport is expired...however my gut tells me their computer system checking does not flag an expired passport...but my gut has been wrong before.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

• Like 1

You supposed to notify them of ANY changes!

Passport, address, tel number, email address etc.

Just go into any branch and update your details, it takes 5 minutes.

It doesn't work that way with Bangkok Bank. When I changed my passport and tried to withdraw money from a branch other than mine they wouldn't process the transaction since my new passport number did not match the one on record. They wouldn't update the info and I had to go into the issuing branch to change the info. You have to get a new bankbook and it only took the clerk three times to get the info right, and if it's a joint account, guess what both owners of the account must go So going into any branch doesn't work!

Agree... at least for Bangkok Bank based on my experience. I updated a couple of my accounts at the branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Road and while that branch would update/issue new passbooks for accounts they issued they would not for my accounts/passbooks issued at other branches...I had to go to those other branches. Some where joint accounts which required the wife's attendance/signature also like where the new passbook must be signed by both owners.

The 'confusion' is likely due to the fact that for Thai people the number on their passport and ID card never changes.

Kind of like a US social security number... You get one and it's with you for your entire life...

Of course what others have said about updating this info when getting a new passport is true...

This is likely the answer to your question in the OP as to why the bank teller seemed confused, she probably had never seen this before and could not understand why the passport number was not the same

• Like 1

I ran into this problem at Bangkok Bank this past year when I needed to replace an ATM card. The passport I had initially used to open the account had expired and I had lost the 2nd passport so I was now on my 3rd.

Fortunately; I keep scans of all my previous passports and other important documents in an email file and was able to retrieve copies of all the passports. It was also fortunate that I was at the branch where I had originally opened the account.

The staff was helpful and it was all resolved in about an hour.

• Like 2

The 'confusion' is likely due to the fact that for Thai people the number on their passport and ID card never changes.

Correct about the Thai ID card but not the Thai passport. Thai passport number changes on reissue/renewal ever 5 years...I just checked my wife's current Thai passport and her previous four expired passports...each had a different number.

• Like 1

Yes you can continue to use your debit card. The different passport number issue only causes a problem when doing some bank transaction which requires comparison of your current passport to the one on file in the banking system. Now I do not know if the banking system also tracks/utilizes the passport expiration date and possibly cause issues if their system detects the passport is expired...however my gut tells me their computer system checking does not flag an expired passport...but my gut has been wrong before.

I just remembered that the Bangkok Bank ibanking system does indeed do "comparison" of passport number if you have multiple accounts and when doing certain ibanking actions. And if you have ibanking and multiple accounts one of those accounts is identified as the "primary" account for ibanking purposes...not sure exactly how that "primary" designation interrelates to your other accounts but it does somehow.

Anyway, when I renewed my passport about 2 years ago I went to my different branches to update my accounts. The branch that had the account which was designated the primary account, since that was the account I originally got the ibanking issued against years ago, that branch messed up the passport number update/entry into their system and when I tried to "add" a new fixed account several months later to my ibanking accounts summary I could not. I wasn't until I had to do that one particular ibanking transaction that the problem raised its ugly head...until then I thought all had went smooth in updating my passport number at my different branches.

The account Add action would keep erroring out every time I tried to add the account to my ibanking portfolio. Working with the Bankgok Bank Call Center ibanking support they finally identified a passport number mismatch in their system...one account still had my old passport number and that account was my primary account....all my other accounts had the correct/new passport number. So I went back to that branch for them to correct their typo someone had made when updating their system with my new passport number.

It got frustrating there for a couple of weeks in working this ibanking issue especially since the ibanking support should have spotted the passport mismatch in the system on my first trouble call or 1st follow-up call on problem resolution status...but no, they didn't spot it until about the 4th follow-up call over a week later. One the problem was identified I then went to the branch that made the typo (Call Center ibanking support could not make the correction...had to be done at the branch with the necessary paperwork submittal), the branch did paperwork to update the system, and then it was about another 6 "business" days before the ibanking problem was finally fixed...the correction paperwork flowed all the way through the system. Now a person can also have another account added to their ibanking portfolio by doing paperwork at the branch...but that may have rejected also due to the passport number mismatch.

So, if you do have multiple Bangkok Bank accounts and Bangkok Bank ibanking you probably should try to update your passport number with all your branches/accounts as soon as you can versus just updating at one branch and deciding to go to the other branch(es) in a couple weeks/months/etc., as one of Murphy's Laws will sure bite you in needing to do some banking transaction that does a passport number match.

• Thanks 1

So, they base their entire system on passport numbers, which can change very easily.

I have had this problem with them as well. I tried to make an international transfer option, but they noticed I had changed passports. The request never went through for who knows what reason. I suppose I am supposed to go ask them. That is another thing here, when there is a problem, they don't seem to inform you and want you to figure out there is a problem and then come to them to ask about it. To me, it would be like ordering a hamburger, the place doesn't have any beef left and just lets you sit out in the restaurant. You kinda need to tell customers when you run into a problem, don't you?

• Like 1

So, they base their entire system on passport numbers, which can change very easily.

They base their system on a legal/formal ID number. For Thais it is their national ID card, for foreigners it is their passport. What else can foreigners show for identification as it is the only International standard form of ID common to foreigners in Thailand.

//edit - and thanks for the heads up about updating accounts as I just applied for a new passport.

• Like 1

They base their system on a legal/formal ID number. For Thais it is their national ID card, for foreigners it is their passport. What else can foreigners show for identification as it is the only International standard form of ID common to foreigners in Thailand.

//edit - and thanks for the heads up about updating accounts as I just applied for a new passport.

Well, that is a good question. What would a swiss bank take for their ID number for example out of thin air. Maybe passport number as well I don't know.

Or, to refer to the post directly below, what does SCB use. My point really, call me crazy, but I bet there is a better way to do this, yet it is not being done (surprise).

Edited by isawasnake

Related to this topic; if you should move a significant distance away from the branch where you opened your account, I believe you can request they move all your account documents to a branch closer to your new location and change that to your "Home" branch. Doing this will make your life a lot easier should you encounter a banking problem.

• Like 1

Related to this topic; if you should move a significant distance away from the branch where you opened your account, I believe you can request they move all your account documents to a branch closer to your new location and change that to your "Home" branch. Doing this will make your life a lot easier should you encounter a banking problem.

I just went to Bangkok Bank to clear up my issue about not getting my ability to internationally wire transfer. I was told I had to go back to the bank that I submitted the paperwork. Ok ok that may be par for the course here in Thailand, but when is this stuff going to hit them? Is it really that hard? I don't set up complicated banking information systems like this, but I would think change your passport number at one branch, and that info is now infused into every branch would not be the hardest thing in the world to accomplish.

A timely thread as I am awaiting delivery of a new passport.

Just hoping I don't need to take copies of all documents inc. proof of residence to change my driving licences, as I am sure passport no. is on them too.

A timely thread as I am awaiting delivery of a new passport.

Just hoping I don't need to take copies of all documents inc. proof of residence to change my driving licences, as I am sure passport no. is on them too.

i'm not sure I would even worry about updating your new passport number on your drivers license...maybe you are suppose to, but I never did on my car and motorcycle license. Maybe just keep a copy of the first page of your "old" passport along with your "new" passport with your license. i've been stopped numerous times by the traffic BIB and they have never-ever asked for my passport...they only want to see your drivers license. Now, when I renewed my car insurance my insurance broker/company was apparently tracking passport expiration dates and asked me to be sure to send a copy of my new passport when they sent me my renewal notice.

• Like 1

All this nattering about very simple process. I got a new USA passport about a month ago, updated the visa info at immigration then went to my banks: Bkk bank and K-bank. Showed the staffer the old and new passport, they made copy and a computer entry, and I was updated. Same in both, about five minutes each.

• Like 1

All this nattering about very simple process. I got a new USA passport about a month ago, updated the visa info at immigration then went to my banks: Bkk bank and K-bank. Showed the staffer the old and new passport, they made copy and a computer entry, and I was updated. Same in both, about five minutes each.

Did you get a new passbook at Bangkok Bank?

When I updated my passport numbers at Bangkok Bank, I retained the same bankbook. I only needed to replace it when all the pages were full.

• Like 1

When I updated my passport numbers at Bangkok Bank, I retained the same bankbook. I only needed to replace it when all the pages were full.

And one branch not replacing my passbook which reflected my new passport number was the main cause of my Bangkok Bank ibanking problem last year in not being able to add accounts to my ibanking portfolio due to passport number mismatch/duplicate passport numbers in their system.

Now if your branch went cheap in not providing a new passbook by typing the new passport number in the back of the passbook versus having the number entered on the new passbook along with a new signature which only appears under their black light then you may have certain transactions/ibanking problems in the future.

Sent from my Samsung S4

And one branch not replacing my passbook which reflected my new passport number was the main cause of my Bangkok Bank ibanking problem last year in not being able to add accounts to my ibanking portfolio due to passport number mismatch/duplicate passport numbers in their system.

Now if your branch went cheap in not providing a new passbook by typing the new passport number in the back of the passbook versus having the number entered on the new passbook along with a new signature which only appears under their black light then you may have certain transactions/ibanking problems in the future.

Sent from my Samsung S4

That is the exact problem I am currently having. But I guess I am just nattering.

That is the exact problem I am currently having. But I guess I am just nattering.

When the Bangkok Bank branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd updated two of my accounts which I had with them and issued me new passbooks for both accounts due to the passport update, a few days earlier I had done the passport update thing on another Bangkok Bank account I had at another branch in a nearby province...that branch did not issue me a new passbook but just typed the new passport number in the back of the passbook, stamped it, and initialled it a few times here and there...and updated it their system. When I asked the Silom branch should the other branch had issued me a new passbook the rep kinda smiled and said yes...that smile kinda indicated to me the other branch had not what they should have done but used a non-preferred method...definitely saved the bank the cost of issuing a new passbook. Then about a week later when trying to add a new fixed account to my ibanking portfolio which had my new passport number it wouldn't add....then the calls to the Bangkok Bank ibanking support began.

When all the dust settled a couple weeks later in getting the problem resolved the core problem had been the one branch not issuing a new passbook with the new passport number properly encoded on the passbook...once that branch issued me the new passbook my ibanking problem was fixed. In fact the ibanking support staff said I must go back to that branch for them to issue a new passbook for the ibanking problem to be resolved. I guess the actual issue of a new passbook with the new passport number makes some type of update in the banking system database (above and beyond what their manual entry does) that is critical for certain ibanking transactions to occur. I figure the branch didn't understand the ibanking impact with the passport number change, since this particular branch was out in the sticks and surely have very few farang customers....use to Thai customers which use their Thai ID card number which never changes.

Don't know if your circumstances may have been similar....and I expect improper passport number update might affect people differently depending on whether they have ibanking, what transaction they are trying to do in ibanking, maybe some transactions at a bank counter, etc. Oh well, I got over 8 years before I need to renew my passport again (assuming I don't lose it before then) so my passport number update problems should be behind me for at least 8 years.

• Like 2